EU Releases Guidelines for Return to Cruising during Covid

azbirdmom

There have been numerous instances in the UK of large social gatherings in the middle of June, notably the BLM protests.  However,  there has been no evidence of any significant increase in the incidence of CV19,  indeed quite the reverse.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

There have been numerous instances in the UK of large social gatherings in the middle of June, notably the BLM protests.  However,  there has been no evidence of any significant increase in the incidence of CV19,  indeed quite the reverse.

No sign of increases tied to the BLM protests in the US either.  Most were outdoors.  From the videos a pretty high number wore masks (not sure if that was to protect from COVID or to prevent identification).

With the protest, most were outdoors, many were walking and facing in the same direction, sometimes listening, sometimes shouting.

A bit different than socializing indoors in bars.  Especially where people are face to face talking for some time.  Especially in a noisy environment where people lean close to hear each other. Hopefully the back ground cases are low enough in the UK that there are relatively few chances for it to spread in such an environment.  In the US back ground cases were too high when indoor venues were reopened.  Plus people took relaxing of rules as things are back to normal.

• Like 1

npcl - you make some good points. In an outdoor environment,  the aerosol dispersal is much greater than indoors, and the chances of getting a significant viral load are dramatically reduced.

Off for a pub lunch today for the first time since February - life must go on, especially with a pint!

Honestly I am tired of all this limitation and the worst thing about it that I dont really worry about myself.. idk why, probably cause I believe that it will pass me by or I will survive in case I catch somehow. My only worries are my family and my elder parents. If not for them, I wouldnt really care about it 

4 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Honestly I am tired of all this limitation and the worst thing about it that I dont really worry about myself.. idk why, probably cause I believe that it will pass me by or I will survive in case I catch somehow. My only worries are my family and my elder parents. If not for them, I wouldnt really care about it 

"What me worry?" seems to be a very American attitude. I guess it's the Alfred E. Nueman influence.

To be honest, despite being officially a senior citizen, I also do not worry and feel if I get it, it will only be mild. I worry more about DW killing me if I did get it so I better wear a mask and social distance. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

npcl - you make some good points. In an outdoor environment,  the aerosol dispersal is much greater than indoors, and the chances of getting a significant viral load are dramatically reduced.

Off for a pub lunch today for the first time since February - life must go on, especially with a pint!

Enjoy the pub, with fresh air if possible, and distancing.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:01 AM, caribill said:

"Passengers should be advised to avoid the use of the elevators."

Great if you only need to travel a deck or two. Not so great if you eat dinner on deck 5 and your cabin is on deck 14.

Yeah, because after you walk all those flights of stairs, you get shortness of breathe and then they want to quarantine you!  🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I dont really worry about myself.. idk why, probably cause I believe that it will pass me by or I will survive in case I catch somehow.

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

despite being officially a senior citizen, I also do not worry and feel if I get it, it will only be mild.

Of course those who are not senior citizens can get it, but in most (but not all) cases will not have any significant problems.

But some of those younger folk do end up the hospital, some of them on monitors, and some of them on ventilators. And some of them die.  Do you really want to take the chance that this can happen to you?

And many of all ages who do get it have a long road to total recovery, even if they never went into the hospital. From weakness to loss of smell or taste, the effects can last a long time.

17 hours ago, npcl said:

Enjoy the pub, with fresh air if possible, and distancing.

Excellent pub meal yesterday, with a pint of bitter brewed in the pub brewery!

Torrential rain (English summer) so sat inside. Fairly quiet and lots of space between the tables.

Off to the seaside for fish and chips next week!

Aparrently the guidelines have been released per a news article I read (https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5434/?et_cid=3343001&et_rid=17373002).

Of note:

a) They are guidelines and not requirements. Of course any EU country can make some or all of them requirements as far as that country is concerned.

b) Suggest short cruises of only three to seven days.

c) Suggest a cruise should stop at less ports.

d) Suggest that cabin cleaning/serviceing only be by request, and the automatic two times a day it is now on most ships.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Aparrently the guidelines have been released per a news article I read (https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5434/?et_cid=3343001&et_rid=17373002).

Of note:

a) They are guidelines and not requirements. Of course any EU country can make some or all of them requirements as far as that country is concerned.

b) Suggest short cruises of only three to seven days.

c) Suggest a cruise should stop at less ports.

d) Suggest that cabin cleaning/serviceing only be by request, and the automatic two times a day it is now on most ships.

Less cleaning? That seems to be the opposite of what every one thinks should be required.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Less cleaning? That seems to be the opposite of what every one thinks should be required.

Less cleaning in the cabins, not elsewhere. The idea being that by so doing, the stewards will have less interaction with guests, have less contact with cabin surfaces, and therefore will be less exposed to possible sources of infection. Eminently sensible.

31 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Less cleaning in the cabins, not elsewhere. The idea being that by so doing, the stewards will have less interaction with guests, have less contact with cabin surfaces, and therefore will be less exposed to possible sources of infection. Eminently sensible.

Excellent!!  Just leave us plenty of towels and TP ... for the most part, they wouldn't even need to come to my room more than once every few days.  I could retrieve my own ice at one of the bars or through room service.  Bingo, I am set!!  I always let the room steward know that if they can get off a bit early, there's no need to clean up our room, especially not twice a day.  Maybe they could even come up with something on the app to order the items or services you need in your cabin.  Some may like it more often than others but, it seems it would certainly cut down on the amount of time the room steward is in the passenger's cabins.  

I know this would probably pose a health hazard, but, Celebrity used to have a room service cart in the hallway where passengers could place their trays of used dished.  It was replaced every hour or less with a clean cart.  I loved being able to eat my meal out on my balcony and then clean up the used dishes myself.  I don't particularly care for room service trays on the floor in the hallway ... that's a tripping hazard, not to mention it's hard for people that use mobility devices to get around it.  But, the cart was so useful.  Mind you, Celebrity had a little cut out area in the hallways to make this possible.