Jump to content

What is the appeal of so many sea days / cruise to nowhere?


Recommended Posts

We totally agree our first suite was a free upgrade but after that it’s all we book. Our last one in February we even had a hot tub on our huge deck. Also love all the perks that you get like suite lounge and restaurants, sometimes unlimited specialty restaurants and drink packages. We have limited vacation time so like to splurge when we travel. 
All the cruise lines must really love you!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Edited to add: On one cruise where I was in a balcony cabin, I realized at the end of the cruise that I had only set foot on it once -- when I first was looking around the cabin. Didn't use it again for the length of the cruise (10 or 11 days, can't remember). 

That was our experience also. Granted we were traveling in South American summer so that might have affected our decisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, drsel said:
2 hours ago, George C said:
We totally agree our first suite was a free upgrade but after that it’s all we book. Our last one in February we even had a hot tub on our huge deck. Also love all the perks that you get like suite lounge and restaurants, sometimes unlimited specialty restaurants and drink packages. We have limited vacation time so like to splurge when we travel. 

All the cruise lines must really love you!

This is like one of the reasons why I want to quit my job and start my own thing or maybe just start working from home to have time to do things I want and to manage my vacation whenever I want. Its hard to do and feels dangerous to stay without a job but else is there to do if you want to feel truly free? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to the original question....
Not being a seasoned traveller, nor one who can choose to travel often, for me the grandeur of being out in the middle of the ocean with no work to do -- and only relaxing on the agenda-- the sea air wins me! I am not in a contest with anybody, including myself, to have every experience possible in every locale imaginable.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

 

For us a suite is not about space. We book suites mostly for the perks we get. We may not spend  lots of time in the suite but most days we eat three meals in the suite restaurant and if we shall use a sundeck it shall be the not overcrowded suite sundeck. Lots of time is also spent in a suite lounge in the afternoon and evening.

 

Our suites have not been much bigger than standard balcony cabins except for our suite on the Breakaway which was big but had a tiny balcony and our suite on Jade which was rather big and had a rather big aft balcony.  

 

I notice you have some really nice sailings under your belt. Yacht club deluxe suite and Haven Penthouse. Options with an experience that are tough to match. I have not sailed them, so I don't know,

 

Still, I wonder with the immense cost of such rooms, how much the perks balance it out vs just buying what you want. It appears that you cruise about once every 2 years. I cruised last in March, and am itching to go again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sea Days and a suite..... very nice.....  as some have said they don't really use their cabin...

that is great but we use our cabin a lot... more like an apartment than a cabin thus the suite...

 

Also it could be that the shortest cruise we have done is 13 nights.... i think if one only did shorter cruises they may not spend as much time in their cabin.....

 

Lucky everybody if different in what they want.... otherwise we would have to start booking two year in advance to get the cabin of our choice ..lol...

 

One point I would never book a suite because of the perks....

we book a suite for the space... some of perks are nice.. but cabin first....

 

1 hour ago, zauberflote said:

for me the grandeur of being out in the middle of the ocean with no work to do -- and only relaxing on the agenda-- the sea air wins me! 

and to add everything is done for you... that about sums it up.....

 

Looking forward to our next sea day..... whenever

 

Cheers Don

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's obvious that everyone analyzes things differently when it comes to cabin type, just as everyone likes sea days or port days more. I know for me personally if I was spending the money for the suite I would need to get my money's worth out of it, which would equate to spending more time in the cabin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

Yes, to each their own. I've been in a suite, mini-suite, balcony, oceanview, inside. I do not spend a significant amount of time in any of them. If the ship is in port, I am ashore as long as possible. If the ship is at sea, I prefer to be somewhere like an open deck or observation lounge or even a pretty atrium area. I like broad views and I enjoy people watching (and random conversations).

 

Edited to add: On one cruise where I was in a balcony cabin, I realized at the end of the cruise that I had only set foot on it once -- when I first was looking around the cabin. Didn't use it again for the length of the cruise (10 or 11 days, can't remember). 

 

Best time for a balcony is in the Panama Canal!  Of course there are other places with awesome sights too.  

 

All-in-all, I tend to agree.  We like the balcony cabin but in truth don't use the balcony much except for those kinds of places I just mentioned.   We don't stay in the cabin much.  Not sure how I would find that more enjoyable than being out and about the ship.   But I can sure understand and accept those that do enjoy cabin time.  The one thing we should all happily agree on is not everyone likes the same things or experiences.   

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

What I find amazing is how many want yo criticise what other’s do. 

 

There are some who seem to get a warm fuzzy by expressing their distaste for other's preferences.   However to be fair, someone expressing their different preference might be seen as critical, when it is really just an expression of different preferences.  I think a lot is in how folks communicate.  You know, "I prefer port stops over sea days" vs "UGH, who would EVER want sea days".     

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

 

I notice you have some really nice sailings under your belt. Yacht club deluxe suite and Haven Penthouse. Options with an experience that are tough to match. I have not sailed them, so I don't know,

 

Still, I wonder with the immense cost of such rooms, how much the perks balance it out vs just buying what you want. It appears that you cruise about once every 2 years. I cruised last in March, and am itching to go again.

 

It's not possible to buy the things without paying for a suite. Yes, it's possible to pay extra for specialty restaurants to get better food for dinner but not breakfast, lunch and dinner.

 

On our last cruise we decided to walk of the ship without any assistance in one port and the experience is completely different compared to having a butler escorting you so that you can pass all lines! On MSC you can also pass all lines when arriving to the ship in a portday and that's nice too! On our first cruise on the Norwegian Epic our butler insisted to escort us to the restaurant when we didn't ate in the Haven restaurant. May seem like a useless perk but it made the experience different and we really got good service all the time. Assisted disembarkation is also nice because there are no waiting in lines until you leave the ship. When we disembarked in Barcelona our butler was with us until we had picked up our luggage. We should never use the overcrowded pool on the "public" pooldeck but in the Haven or in the Yacht Club the pool is never crowded. There are many things that may seem small but make a real difference for the experience.

 

I should love to cruise more often but I rather cruise less in a suite. If we should cruise in the Caribbean every year we should also have to add airline tickets and hotel for a few nights so the cost should go up. Businessclass from Sweden to Miami with British Airways cost almost $2000 for the cheapest non refundable tickets so I don't want to buy that too often!

 

Having a suite may be one of the reasons why we love seadays so much but we loved them before we were suiteaddicts too so even with a cheaper cabin without the extra perks we enjoyed it. Days at sea was necessary to get to Fanning Island on our first cruise and that was really magic days!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

 

It's not possible to buy the things without paying for a suite. Yes, it's possible to pay extra for specialty restaurants to get better food for dinner but not breakfast, lunch and dinner.

 

On our last cruise we decided to walk of the ship without any assistance in one port and the experience is completely different compared to having a butler escorting you so that you can pass all lines! On MSC you can also pass all lines when arriving to the ship in a portday and that's nice too! On our first cruise on the Norwegian Epic our butler insisted to escort us to the restaurant when we didn't ate in the Haven restaurant. May seem like a useless perk but it made the experience different and we really got good service all the time. Assisted disembarkation is also nice because there are no waiting in lines until you leave the ship. When we disembarked in Barcelona our butler was with us until we had picked up our luggage. We should never use the overcrowded pool on the "public" pooldeck but in the Haven or in the Yacht Club the pool is never crowded. There are many things that may seem small but make a real difference for the experience.

 

I should love to cruise more often but I rather cruise less in a suite. If we should cruise in the Caribbean every year we should also have to add airline tickets and hotel for a few nights so the cost should go up. Businessclass from Sweden to Miami with British Airways cost almost $2000 for the cheapest non refundable tickets so I don't want to buy that too often!

 

Having a suite may be one of the reasons why we love seadays so much but we loved them before we were suiteaddicts too so even with a cheaper cabin without the extra perks we enjoyed it. Days at sea was necessary to get to Fanning Island on our first cruise and that was really magic days!

 

Nice job describing the suite benefits.   The extras you describe could be more important than having the larger cabin!  We have never been in a suite probably because we just focused on the space and didn't think it was worth the extra cost.  Kind of a different picture when you consider the entire package.   Thanks for sharing.     

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, ldubs said:

 

Nice job describing the suite benefits.   The extras you describe could be more important than having the larger cabin!  We have never been in a suite probably because we just focused on the space and didn't think it was worth the extra cost.  Kind of a different picture when you consider the entire package.   Thanks for sharing.     

 

Some people probably book a suite for the bigger space but many does it for the perks. I know that for sure because many of the suites aren't much bigger than the balcony cabins.

 

Some people say that it's much better to book on a luxury line instead of paying for a suite on the mass market lines but I don't agree.

 

1. When I have researched it the luxury lines always cost much more.

 

2. Most luxury lines have fewer roundtrip cruises which is what we prefer.

 

3. I don't care about water slides, rock climbing etc. but  I still like to be on a BIG crowded ship if I can retreat to something different, like the Haven or the Yacht Club.

 

4. The food may be even better on a luxury line but the food in the Haven restaurant or in the Yacht Club restaurant is defenitely good enough for me and better than I get in most restaurants on shore.

 

5. Luxury lines say that they give personal service but for me that might mean too much fussing! They can fuss in the Haven or in the Yacht Club as much as they want as long as I can escape when I'm tired at it! I can leave and meet polite staff who doesn't fuss in the rest of the ship and I like that!

 

6. In bad weather I prefer to be on a big ship. I may be wrong but think that a bit modern ship can handle 35 feet waves better than a small ship! (Cruising on big ships may be one more reason to love sea days which can be a little windy sometimes!)

 

I'm sure that I can mention more reasons why I prefer suites on big ships compared to the luxury lines.

 

 

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some time ago we booked a cruise with an ocean view cabin as the balcony cabin was £1500 more expensive. The floor area and specs were exactly the same ... the only difference was the balcony.
Then we changed it and upgraded to the balcony.
The reason was seeing reports of people being quarantined in their cabins!
Yes, I appreciate there is only a slight chance of this happening again but if it did I would be ‘stir crazy’ within days!
Most of my working life has been spent in the open air so to be confined to a cabin in the long term would not do it for me[emoji4]
Even when I was at sea, wherever possible I would spend more time on the bridge wing than the air conditioned bridge / wheelhouse.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2020 at 11:59 AM, ColeThornton said:

 

 

I had to look that up because being retired U.S.N. myself it seemed excessive and surprisingly...

 

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=113370

Is was on the Carl Vinson during 911. We pulled out of Singapore the day before and didn't pull into port again until about Christmas Eve (back to Singapore instead of Australia as planned). We did earn a couple of steel beach picnics (but they were practically back to back since we could not stop operations to have one until we were leaving the AOR). Hopefully those folks are getting them more spaced out. Especially because I would sometimes realize it had been weeks since I saw the sun!! I was too busy to do the FOD walkdowns during operations 😞  Probably one of the reasons I crave so much sun now!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

 

It's not possible to buy the things without paying for a suite. Yes, it's possible to pay extra for specialty restaurants to get better food for dinner but not breakfast, lunch and dinner.

 

On our last cruise we decided to walk of the ship without any assistance in one port and the experience is completely different compared to having a butler escorting you so that you can pass all lines! On MSC you can also pass all lines when arriving to the ship in a portday and that's nice too! On our first cruise on the Norwegian Epic our butler insisted to escort us to the restaurant when we didn't ate in the Haven restaurant. May seem like a useless perk but it made the experience different and we really got good service all the time. Assisted disembarkation is also nice because there are no waiting in lines until you leave the ship. When we disembarked in Barcelona our butler was with us until we had picked up our luggage. We should never use the overcrowded pool on the "public" pooldeck but in the Haven or in the Yacht Club the pool is never crowded. There are many things that may seem small but make a real difference for the experience.

 

I should love to cruise more often but I rather cruise less in a suite. If we should cruise in the Caribbean every year we should also have to add airline tickets and hotel for a few nights so the cost should go up. Businessclass from Sweden to Miami with British Airways cost almost $2000 for the cheapest non refundable tickets so I don't want to buy that too often!

 

Having a suite may be one of the reasons why we love seadays so much but we loved them before we were suiteaddicts too so even with a cheaper cabin without the extra perks we enjoyed it. Days at sea was necessary to get to Fanning Island on our first cruise and that was really magic days!

 

Thanks for explaining it. I would actually consider paying more for some exclusivity and priority, commensurate on the price vs benefits. I do like the private pool type stuff. I believe most of the current "priority programs" do a poor job of offering these benefits. I don't care much about priority debarkation or embarkation though. Maybe one day I will try one of these experiences.

 

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

 

Some people probably book a suite for the bigger space but many does it for the perks. I know that for sure because many of the suites aren't much bigger than the balcony cabins.

 

Some people say that it's much better to book on a luxury line instead of paying for a suite on the mass market lines but I don't agree.

 

1. When I have researched it the luxury lines always cost much more.

 

2. Most luxury lines have fewer roundtrip cruises which is what we prefer.

 

3. I don't care about water slides, rock climbing etc. but  I still like to be on a BIG crowded ship if I can retreat to something different, like the Haven or the Yacht Club.

 

4. The food may be even better on a luxury line but the food in the Haven restaurant or in the Yacht Club restaurant is defenitely good enough for me and better than I get in most restaurants on shore.

 

5. Luxury lines say that they give personal service but for me that might mean too much fussing! They can fuss in the Haven or in the Yacht Club as much as they want as long as I can escape when I'm tired at it! I can leave and meet polite staff who doesn't fuss in the rest of the ship and I like that!

 

6. In bad weather I prefer to be on a big ship. I may be wrong but think that a bit modern ship can handle 35 feet waves better than a small ship! (Cruising on big ships may be one more reason to love sea days which can be a little windy sometimes!)

 

I'm sure that I can mention more reasons why I prefer suites on big ships compared to the luxury lines.

 

 

 

I completely agree with you here. You always hear people say that if you're going to go for Yacht Club, Haven, etc, you should just do a luxury cruise instead. The beauty of cruising is that there is an option for everyone. Some people can't accept that mass market cruise lines have their advantages. I agree with the points you made as to why, and would add to #3 that the experience is a big differentiator. Choice when you want, luxury when you want!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point, I will take sea days over staying in the house, not being able to get out, businesses shutdown, etc. At least on a cruise ship at sea you have entertainment, pools, slides, music, drinks, sun, activities, casino, shows, dining, and the list could go on. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Joebucks said:

 

I notice you have some really nice sailings under your belt. Yacht club deluxe suite and Haven Penthouse. Options with an experience that are tough to match. I have not sailed them, so I don't know,

 

Still, I wonder with the immense cost of such rooms, how much the perks balance it out vs just buying what you want. It appears that you cruise about once every 2 years. I cruised last in March, and am itching to go again.

 

I don't know about the Haven, but you can't just buy the perks associated with Yacht Club.  You can't buy access to the Lounge, the butler service, the preferred access to everything, the ability to completely avoid the crowds if you choose.  So there is really no way to balance that.  While you CAN buy SOME of the perks that are sometimes included, like beverage package, laundry, internet, I don't think it is getting the 'buyable' perks for 'free' that is the attraction - it certainly is not for me - it is the things you can't buy that add to the cruise experience that, for some, make the YC an attractive option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The appeal is down to personal preference.   Nothing more, nothing less.  Some people like Coke, others Pepsi.  Differences are what makes the world go round.

 

We would much rather spend a week in a small ocean side villa on Zakynthos , Kefelonia , etc than a week of sea days on a cruise.   Nothing wrong or odd about either choice.

Edited by iancal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

And even being retried one still needs a holiday to relax, thus the concept of a cruise with sea day, and having everything done is  honestly wonderful,

It occurred to me a couple of hours ago that I really would like a cruise. I wouldn't have to cook a single meal. And I love to cook. And have gotten tired of not being able to on a ship. I think I could handle a couple of weeks 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2020 at 11:59 PM, CarelessAndConfused said:

So just what is it that is SO special about being on a cruise ship, if it's just gonna float around some on the water. 

Because being separated from everything, looking off the ship and seeing no commercial life, really helps me relax and feel calm.   I could probably get equally as calm and relaxed in a solitary cabin in the woods, too, but cruise ships come with better food and service 😉   When I get to a port, even seeing the equipment and cars near a large port causes me to subtly tense up a bit.   Other than mid-day trivia, I don't do any activities, even ones I think would be interesting......my time is spent watching the ocean, reading a book, listening to an audiobook, or playing Scrabble and chatting with friends (if I'm on a cruise with friends).    On a cruise ship, no one wants anything from me, and that's so very different from the rest of the world that is always wanting my attention, my time, my money.  I think we all forget how constant those demands are, until they're not there any more. 

 

When I want to see cities/towns, I'll do a land vacation and take time to get the feel of those places - more than the 8-36 hours at port offered by cruises. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2020 at 12:43 PM, George C said:

We totally agree our first suite was a free upgrade but after that it’s all we book. Our last one in February we even had a hot tub on our huge deck. Also love all the perks that you get like suite lounge and restaurants, sometimes unlimited specialty restaurants and drink packages. We have limited vacation time so like to splurge when we travel. 

 

Which line has hot tubs on the balcony?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...