EU Health Protocols

mrlevin

22 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Not sure who you were responding to with your first paragraph. So if someone makes the decision to cruise and gets others infected on the ship that personal decision impacts others and it goes beyond personal at that time. 

In your scenario all the passengers are in the same boat. They all made the personal decision to take the risk. If every single one of them gets sick and dies it was still their choice. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

In your scenario all the passengers are in the same boat. They all made the personal decision to take the risk. If every single one of them gets sick and dies it was still their choice. 

Absolutely agree with you!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, johng75370 said:

So true!!  Can’t wait to be able to be there again.  The comments made at that hearing could have come from almost any other part of the country, including my county.  Hope we can share a great moment together onboard someday soon!

So glad to hear from you. We hope you join us in a future cruise. Love to buy you a drink!

sheila

36 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

To everyone who wished us well during the hurricane.... it missed us. Bad winds But no destruction. 
Thank you for your good wishes. It worked. 
sheila

So good to see you back on the board and are very happy that you fared well during the hurricane.  Wish that it would be the last one of this year!

Per link, the Hurtigruten outbreak, and the line's actions, have become the subject of a police investigation.

https://www.marinelog.com/shipping/cruising/police-to-probe-hurtigruten-coronavirus-outbreak/

A key issue, if this is verified, to me appears the lack of notification. 

Reportedly, on July 26 Hurtigruten was informed that a passenger tested positive for COVID-19 after traveling on the July 17-24 cruise. Hurtigruten received advice from FHI to notify the passengers on the second sailing of this, and investigators are thought likely to look into why this notification apparently was not made

To me, this appears to be of interest in anyone interested in any cruise line, or any eventual movement to another re-start for the industry.

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 2

Morning update - Hurtigruten halting expedition cruises.

My thought is, if a well known cruise line, knowing it was 'leading the way', and also knowing that it had everything to lose for the industry, as well as itself, suffers breakdown in procedures, what more would all lines have to establish to ensure against breakdowns.  I hope that the analysis of 'what went wrong' is at least freely distributed to regulators and other cruise lines to learn from. To be sure, I suspect this isn't only a peculiar breakdown to Hurtigruten, not in view of all the other cruise news over the last few days. Question is, how to we set up processes to ensure success facing this very complex re-start issue?

"A preliminary evaluation shows a breakdown in several of our internal procedures," Chief Executive Daniel Skjeldam said in a statement.

"Our own failure, as well as the recent rise in infections internationally, has led us to halt all expedition cruises in Norwegian and international waters," he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/08/03/world/europe/03reuters-health-coronavirus-norway-cruiseship.html

And, aargh, just read that the PG ship that has confirmed COVID infections, "had been anchored off Bora Bora for two days for passengers to disembark and explore before the case was reported."

Again, perhaps one could argue anyone (passenger, crew, regulator, port) that were on an approved sailing took their own risks - but what of the innocent people of Bora Bora?  I can only imagine that right now their government and port officials are hoping against hope that COVID doesn't appear, and if it does, won't be traced back to this ship.

Edited by greykitty
addition
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Again, perhaps one could argue anyone (passenger, crew, regulator, port) that were on an approved sailing took their own risks - but what of the innocent people of Bora Bora?  I can only imagine that right now their government and port officials are hoping against hope that COVID doesn't appear, and if it does, won't be traced back to this ship.

I so agree with your comment and simply can't seem to get what the "I want it now" people are thinking.

• Like 6

They are selfish. Selfish to risk taking the disease to others and selfish to bring it back home. 

Who walks round branded with a capital S on their forehead to show that they are symptomatic? A little realism is needed and it may take a little while to get it right but let’s hope that will not be too long.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Guerncruising said:

They are selfish. Selfish to risk taking the disease to others and selfish to bring it back home. 

Who walks round branded with a capital S on their forehead to show that they are symptomatic? A little realism is needed and it may take a little while to get it right but let’s hope that will not be too long.

Absolutely selfish. I see it on these discussion boards across multiple cruise lines where people insist they will be on the first ship that cruises. They say that Regent in particular won’t have these issues but COVID-19 is everywhere  and it is extremely contagious. “No problem, we will self quarantine when we get home”. Really? That’s your plan?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I keep trying to adhere to 'do as you would be done by' when considering any non-essential trips these days - even to the grocery store.  If only I could 'sign a waiver' to take the risk of COVID and somehow isolate the risk to me alone....but I can't.  

• Like 1

This is the worst outcome for near term cruising and before some say Regent is different and shouldn’t be affected, dream on. The entire cruise industry is on probation and so far the initial efforts to restart have not gone well. The CDC, country governments and medical professionals will point to these initial outcomes as reason not to open up anytime soon. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, fizzy said:

I so agree with your comment and simply can't seem to get what the "I want it now" people are thinking.

I don’t quite understand your comment.
Maybe you can understand mine...I want to sail again when it is safe... the sooner the better..... but not until it is safe. 
I ask the question of you and others... who wants it now?

11 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Maybe you can understand mine...I want to sail again when it is safe... the sooner the better..... but not until it is safe. 

I’ve seen comments that some people (not you) have said that they will be on the first Regent cruise available. So it begs the question, what will be required for each of us to say it is safe to cruise? Is it enough for Regent to say that they believe it is safe and that they are following CDC protocols? For me, I have to see that the cruise industry has demonstrated that they actually can conduct cruises with no COVID incidents or at least show that if there is an incident that they can effectively mitigate it. So I will need proof from Regent, from the cruise industry, from the airline industry and from the ports I want to visit that they all have things under control. Bottom line is that I won’t be the first in line to go on a cruise so late 2021 or 2022 is looking more reasonable to me. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I have not seen anyone say anything about wanting it now (although, if it were safe and approved we would sail now).  Some people do not want to sail if there are any restrictions and for those folks, I believe it will take a while.  For those of us willing to follow protocols, I suspect that cruise ships will be sailing in either late December or January.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1