Jump to content

Its time to move on from 2020


Recommended Posts

I'm not interested in what the cruise lines, or anyone, predicts.  My focus is on when a vaccine will be available.  Human trials have begun in various parts of the world, the scientific and health experts are making educated guesses, so I'll book after I get a vaccine.  Well, I'm booked now for March and April 2021, but those are refundable deposits that can be moved to other cruise(s) with no penalty. 

 

Plus, those are Princess cruises from the West Coast, so we can drive to the port.  What is giving me the creeps is the airlines:  they don't seem to be very steadfast in their efforts to keep people safe, so I will avoid them for a long time.

Edited by pcur
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, B-52 said:

Places like the airlines, Disney and other parks, are all announcing their policies so they can re-open....Royal Carib has said nothing....all they are doing is announcing one month at a time, coming out with FCC and other schemes, and taking new bookings just so they have some $$ to hold onto...otherwise, they cease to exist.

My opinion...its going to happen.

The big difference is that the theme parks don't have to rely on foreign governments and their port restrictions as well as the CDC guidelines in order to operate. Royal Caribbean can satisfy the CDC orders in the US, but then they have to deal with all the foreign ports and satisfy their rules.  It is not as easy to resume operations as it is with a theme park.

 

Airlines are working nationally here in the US, but international flights are still very restricted such as not flying into the EU.  It is hard enough to predict what is going to happen with our country, let alone try to predict what other countries are going to impose as restrictions. 

 

I agree with Bouhunter. Pick a date that you estimate ports will open and move your cruise to that date. Then you are not continuing to be disappointed. 

 

This is frustrating, but it is a novel virus. The world's scientists are trying to learn everything about it at warp speed, but they can only learn as it plays out. They have to study active cases and autopsies to learn how to fight this. Life will not go back to normal until the scientists have a handle on how to conquer this brand new virus.

 

Nothing with the virus has changed since it was discovered. It is still here, still multiplying, possibly mutating.  If we couldn't cruise in March, it goes to reason we can't cruise now. Only until the scientists get a handle on this and things change should we expect life to resume again.

Edited by cured
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cured said:

The big difference is that the theme parks don't have to rely on foreign governments and their port restrictions as well as the CDC guidelines in order to operate. Royal Caribbean can satisfy the CDC orders, but then they have to deal with all the foreign ports and satisfy their rules.  It is not as easy to resume operations as it is with a theme park.

 

Airlines are working nationally, but international flights are still very restricted such as not flying into the EU.  It is hard enough to predict what is going to happen with our country, let alone try to predict what other countries are going to impose as restrictions. 

Airlines have tons of restrictions, they have decreased the number of flights like x10 times. I dont see a reason to fly abroad at the moment as well as trying to buy a ticket for even a local flight. It will all depend on how long can the authorities stay without our taxes. The sooner they relize that not for too long - the sooner everything will be back to where it was 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

 Recalling crew from all around the globe will take quite a while, plus crew need to be trained for whatever new health measures they're implementing.  Crew recall is my leading indicator that cruise lines believe they're close to sailing.  

 

Agreed. However I feel the above consideration is for the large(r) ship mass market cruise lines

 

52 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Funny you should say it that way, We have yet to sail from abroad so I guess I don't think of cruising that way. When I thought April 2021 that was just from US ports.............Don't have a clue as to when sailings out of the country would start, I would think they would still need to get a plan in force as to how to make it safe for all cruisers and crew first.............Have yet to see or read about that happening?

 

Paul Gauguin in French Polynesia sails July 29... confirmed and taking bookings

Hurtigruten is beginning Norway coastal sailings July 19

Windstar (the Windspirit 188 passengers) sets sail from Tahiti Sept 3

 

2 days ago the EU set out a guideline for cruising to begin

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/07/01/eu-cruise-requirements-covid-19-screening-face-masks/5354654002/

 

You can bet that the cruise lines will be quickly trying to put this into effect in order to start putting money into their jeans. However, as mentioned (on this thread or another?) the so-called "American" cruise lines that depend on American passengers will suffer a great deal. The European lines (like Aida & MSC, and the riverboats) will be able to drum up business from their own European clientele.

Edited by Hoopster95
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

It is time to move on to 2021 and stop this 30 day "maybe" charade.  No one has been able to accurately forecast the future. If the last 4 months have taught us anything it is uncertainty will reign supreme for the near future.  All the cruise lines seem to be continuing to spin their wheels and burning cash to try to start up tomorrow.  Between travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, capacity limitations and everything else every line continues to shoot at a moving target.  Well, the only ones continuing to be hit by those shots is us!  We had vacations, trips of a lifetime, precious memories to be made all dashed over the last 4 months.  Many have shifted to Oct, Nov or Dec or continue(like we do)to hope our 2020 cruises will happen.  Many of us here have a very strong passion for cruising and want to get back to sea in the worst way.  It just seems like Royal can step up and take the lead and focus on a 2021 start up.  Give us a detailed plan on what they can and are doing to make cruising "safe" in the Covid era.  Cruising will return.  Why force it and fail.  Plan it, work the plan and spend the time and energy to let us all know what they will do and tell us what we will need to do so we can resume planning for a cruise that should happen.

 

I posted in early March that there would not be any cruising from the US until Feb.2021 at the earliest and people threw verbal daggers at me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

It is time to move on to 2021 and stop this 30 day "maybe" charade.  No one has been able to accurately forecast the future. If the last 4 months have taught us anything it is uncertainty will reign supreme for the near future.  All the cruise lines seem to be continuing to spin their wheels and burning cash to try to start up tomorrow.  Between travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, capacity limitations and everything else every line continues to shoot at a moving target.  Well, the only ones continuing to be hit by those shots is us!  We had vacations, trips of a lifetime, precious memories to be made all dashed over the last 4 months.  Many have shifted to Oct, Nov or Dec or continue(like we do)to hope our 2020 cruises will happen.  Many of us here have a very strong passion for cruising and want to get back to sea in the worst way.  It just seems like Royal can step up and take the lead and focus on a 2021 start up.  Give us a detailed plan on what they can and are doing to make cruising "safe" in the Covid era.  Cruising will return.  Why force it and fail.  Plan it, work the plan and spend the time and energy to let us all know what they will do and tell us what we will need to do so we can resume planning for a cruise that should happen.

 

I'm sorry, but most of us who post here are passionate cruisers and want to get back to cruising but frankly I'm tired of the "I need to cruise" mentality.  I want to be able to hug my grandson and have him spend time with me - that is FAR more important than some silly vacation.  Cruising isn't going to be "safe" until there is a vaccine or very effective therapeutics that prevent people from getting critically ill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I posted in early March that there would not be any cruising from the US until Feb.2021 at the earliest and people threw verbal daggers at me.

Certainly not me....I agree...and am looking forward to March cruising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mek said:

I'm sorry, but most of us who post here are passionate cruisers and want to get back to cruising but frankly I'm tired of the "I need to cruise" mentality.  I want to be able to hug my grandson and have him spend time with me - that is FAR more important than some silly vacation.  Cruising isn't going to be "safe" until there is a vaccine or very effective therapeutics that prevent people from getting critically ill.

And here is the exactly correct response. Thank you.

We have seen what the "I need to go back to the bars mentality" has done. But I guess not everyone has paid attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

 Many have shifted to Oct, Nov or Dec or continue(like we do)to hope our 2020 cruises will happen.  Many of us here have a very strong passion for cruising and want to get back to sea in the worst way.  It just seems like Royal can step up and take the lead and focus on a 2021 start up.  

 

Why are you waiting for Royal Caribbean to take the lead? You control your own destiny. When the cruise is canceled take back your money or take the FCC and wait until cruising opens up to rebook.  Royal Caribbean loves the passengers who keep rebooking and switching. They don't have to refund any money. They are going to milk this cow for all it's worth.

Edited by Iamcruzin
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I said April 2021 back in March when Covid first started, no one wanted to hear that though. It's about time reality has set in that 2020 is a done deal. Last ship has sailed for 2020.

With all of the setbacks by opening too soon on land, I don't know how people can believe cruising is going to start up anytime soon.  If it wasn't for the dreamers the cruise lines would have sunk by now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

What makes March any different from February 🤔

March would be a year from when we started shelter in place.  That's the only rational that I could come up with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

March would be a year from when we started shelter in place.  That's the only rational that I could come up with.

 

I got off Allure on March 13, began self quarantine on March 15. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

It is time to move on to 2021 and stop this 30 day "maybe" charade.  No one has been able to accurately forecast the future. If the last 4 months have taught us anything it is uncertainty will reign supreme for the near future.  All the cruise lines seem to be continuing to spin their wheels and burning cash to try to start up tomorrow.  Between travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, capacity limitations and everything else every line continues to shoot at a moving target.  Well, the only ones continuing to be hit by those shots is us!  We had vacations, trips of a lifetime, precious memories to be made all dashed over the last 4 months.  Many have shifted to Oct, Nov or Dec or continue(like we do)to hope our 2020 cruises will happen.  Many of us here have a very strong passion for cruising and want to get back to sea in the worst way.  It just seems like Royal can step up and take the lead and focus on a 2021 start up.  Give us a detailed plan on what they can and are doing to make cruising "safe" in the Covid era.  Cruising will return.  Why force it and fail.  Plan it, work the plan and spend the time and energy to let us all know what they will do and tell us what we will need to do so we can resume planning for a cruise that should happen.

 

Why does Royal need to step up and take the lead? They are going to do what's best for them. No one has to follow them. I made a choice in the beginning not to play their games. You said no one can predict the future so why do you think they can give you a detailed plan when they haven't got a clue? We all like to cruise or we wouldn't be here. There is more to life than cruising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

March would be a year from when we started shelter in place.  That's the only rational that I could come up with.

:classic_rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Funny you should say it that way, We have yet to sail from abroad so I guess I don't think of cruising that way. When I thought April 2021 that was just from US ports.............Don't have a clue as to when sailings out of the country would start, I would think they would still need to get a plan in force as to how to make it safe for all cruisers and crew first.............Have yet to see or read about that happening?

 

I know when you go into retail stores around where I live besides everyone wearing mask and such, they have built protective screens around check out counters etc.

 

Does anyone know if anything additional is being built on ships currently to make it more safe? I mean right now all these ships are just sitting in the oceans, has anyone heard of any construction being done on the ships to get them Covid ready to sail?

 

Until you hear of something like that being done, they are just going to sit in the ocean.............and no cruising for anyone anywhere!

 

As it´s been said already, your point of view is a very narrow one. You are just looking at the US and most likely only at the big lines.

 

In a more broad view cruising has started up again already and cruises are underway / have been completed already.

 

The following is only cruises I know about and there might have been earlier ones worldwide. Also the following are only a few of those I know about, there´s actually more sailing again already....

 

First River cruise started as early as June 3rd in Germany and River cruising in Europe has started up quite a bit again. 

 

A number of ocean going cruises have started in Norway with to my knowledge the first ones on June 16th and June 20th.

 

Another one started on June 26th from Germany.

 

A number of cruises from France are planned for July.

 

Cruising in French Polynesia starts up in July as well.

 

In Asia the Explorer Dream is planned to start end of July.

 

Costa just announced to restart in August.

 

Oh and just to tell you there´s a US cruiseline that plans to start their Alaska season on August 1st - UnCruise Adventures.

 

Will all these cruises have various limitations - YES!!! 

 

Your "no cruising for anyone anywhere" is definitely WRONG!!!

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been waiting since 3/19/20 for our September, 2020, cancelled cruise refund.  Will not be booking a future cruise until I get all my money back.  Have not yet received reimbursement for airline tickets for our 2/24/20 Quantum cruise cancelled 2/14/20 after previously switching embarcation from Hong Kong to Singapore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Why are you waiting for Royal Caribbean to take the lead? You control your own destiny. When the cruise is canceled take back your money or take the FCC and wait until cruising opens up to rebook.  Royal Caribbean loves the passengers who keep rebooking and switching. They don't have to refund any money. They are going to milk this cow for all it's worth.

Very good advice.  We switched our 4 existing reservations to late 2021 and 2022, all of the deposits were minimal (onboard bookings).  RCCL is holding very little of our money and won't get any more for a long time. 

Edited by bouhunter
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I feel that ships will sail this year, but not from USA and with ZERO Americans on board.


Sadly with the current number of Covid cases happening in the States, that day is just being pushed further back to when this can happen again.

 

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

What makes March any different from February 🤔

 

It is a moving target, and not until the Covid rates stop going up will the lines even think about doing more than taking deposits and slowly returning refunds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:


Sadly with the current number of Covid cases happening in the States, that day is just being pushed further back to when this can happen again.

 

 

It is a moving target, and not until the Covid rates stop going up will the lines even think about doing more than taking deposits and slowly returning refunds.

And yet there are still people here thinking about making final payments......

Edited by bouhunter
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 123funcruiser said:

 

As it´s been said already, your point of view is a very narrow one. You are just looking at the US and most likely only at the big lines.

 

In a more broad view cruising has started up again already and cruises are underway / have been completed already.

 

The following is only cruises I know about and there might have been earlier ones worldwide. Also the following are only a few of those I know about, there´s actually more sailing again already....

 

First River cruise started as early as June 3rd in Germany and River cruising in Europe has started up quite a bit again. 

 

A number of ocean going cruises have started in Norway with to my knowledge the first ones on June 16th and June 20th.

 

Another one started on June 26th from Germany.

 

A number of cruises from France are planned for July.

 

Cruising in French Polynesia starts up in July as well.

 

In Asia the Explorer Dream is planned to start end of July.

 

Costa just announced to restart in August.

 

Oh and just to tell you there´s a US cruiseline that plans to start their Alaska season on August 1st - UnCruise Adventures.

 

Will all these cruises have various limitations - YES!!! 

 

Your "no cruising for anyone anywhere" is definitely WRONG!!!

 

 

 

However the difference is that those countries have handled the Covid virus so much better then the USA.  Our handling of this virus is an embarrassment.  So sad.  As somebody above said- I value the lives of my family and friends.  Want to be around to see grandchildren and hug them.

Edited by Cruise a holic
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't rely on the hope of vaccine. The best case, a vaccine takes nine months to develop. The medium case, it takes two years to prove safe. The worst case, there is never an effective vaccine. It is better to hope for a more effective treatment before a vaccine. Not every virus can be tackled by vaccine. Especially at this moment we still can't 100% discount the conspiracy theory of this virus being engineered in the lab.

 

So we need to restart cruising as soon as the risks are minimised and have effective screening measures for passengers and crew. Otherwise we will never be able to cruise again if we put all our hope on a vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ChC said:

Please don't rely on the hope of vaccine. The best case, a vaccine takes nine months to develop. The medium case, it takes two years to prove safe. The worst case, there is never an effective vaccine. It is better to hope for a more effective treatment before a vaccine. Not every virus can be tackled by vaccine. Especially at this moment we still can't 100% discount the conspiracy theory of this virus being engineered in the lab.

 

So we need to restart cruising as soon as the risks are minimised and have effective screening measures for passengers and crew. Otherwise we will never be able to cruise again if we put all our hope on a vaccine.

Most places haven't even figured out how to open up restaurants, bars, and just everyday living without seeing huge spikes in cases and you think cruise lines are going to figure out how to start cruising up again leaving from US ports any time soon?

Do you really want to see cruising go down the tubes forever?  All it will take is for one incident to happen and that really will be the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ashland said:

Because that's when my next cruise will be.

 

I get that, us as well, but there isn't a rational reason to start then. Except for it being the 1 year anniversary 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • LauraS locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...