If you could never cruise again, what would you do in place of it?

On 7/12/2020 at 7:53 AM, Diver2014 said:

Show and tell time: this is our 'getaway' to wherever we want to go.....perfect size for 2 of us and 2 Dachshunds:

cougar.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

I would love it! But my husband and I are so helpless when it comes to hands on, fixing anything, mechanics, etc, we could not trust to travel that way. Every person we have known who had a camper, RV, etc, has had some basic skills/talent that we just lack.

It takes a little while to adjust to life in an RV but once you do it a few times, it becomes second nature.  We were scared to death when we bought out first trailer but you just hook it up and go, learning along the way.  Fortunately  my parents had a travel trailer when I was a kid so I had some knowledge of how things worked.  We're on our 4th one now - first one too big, next one too small etc.  We like being able to move around and visit all the parks in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. I'm not one for long road trips so we stay within a couple hundred miles of home.  But when we do go home, it's like we've been away for weeks. Love it!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Europe, Australia, New Zealand for the rest of my vacay life.

Unfortunately...none of those countries...especially NZ wants us down there at all for months to come. 

Maybe 2022?  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 8:13 AM, Diver2014 said:

It takes a little while to adjust to life in an RV but once you do it a few times, it becomes second nature.  We were scared to death when we bought out first trailer but you just hook it up and go, learning along the way.  Fortunately  my parents had a travel trailer when I was a kid so I had some knowledge of how things worked.  We're on our 4th one now - first one too big, next one too small etc.  We like being able to move around and visit all the parks in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. I'm not one for long road trips so we stay within a couple hundred miles of home.  But when we do go home, it's like we've been away for weeks. Love it!

Yup...though finding the RV parks extremely tough to get into now...with it being a great alternate choice for vacations.  RV sales have skyrocketed...big time.  We have an RV sales outfit right here in our community, they can't get enough in for the demand. We live in an RV/golf community...our house has a huge covered RV port attached to it.  Poor "land yacht" is sitting idled due to not being able to get into local parks.  😞

But last summer in Maine...ahhhh!!  And the lobsters were scared of us!

WP_004877.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Yup...though finding the RV parks extremely tough to get into now...with it being a great alternate choice for vacations.  RV sales have skyrocketed...big time.  We have an RV sales outfit right here in our community, they can't get enough in for the demand. We live in an RV/golf community...our house has a huge covered RV port attached to it.  Poor "land yacht" is sitting idled due to not being able to get into local parks.  😞

WP_004877.jpg

Nice hoodie

8 hours ago, island lady said:

WP_004877.jpg

Looks delicious, Pat -- love the picture of Bucky.  

I would force my DH to move back to CA or near a coastline!! I moved to be with him, the least he can do is move to give me some sanity  lol
I hate being land-locked and the only sliver of sanity I get is when we are on the water!! 

On 7/12/2020 at 5:53 AM, Diver2014 said:

Show and tell time: this is our 'getaway' to wherever we want to go.....perfect size for 2 of us and 2 Dachshunds:

I totally get the idea of a motorhome.  Probably the only thing giving me pause is the 'stinky slinky'.  I wish there was some automatic way to dump sewage.  Drive over a manhole, press a button, and be done with it   😃

I suppose with time, the stinky slinky is no big deal to long time RVers.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, mpk said:

I totally get the idea of a motorhome.  Probably the only thing giving me pause is the 'stinky slinky'.  I wish there was some automatic way to dump sewage.  Drive over a manhole, press a button, and be done with it   😃

I suppose with time, the stinky slinky is no big deal to long time RVers.

Nope...no problem for me at all.  Just have the DH do it all the time.  😄 😄    Still gotta be better than changing poopie diapers.  😉 

Edited by island lady

16 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

I went to check out the RV’s online last weekend, but then I realized we would have to buy a truck and find a place to park it and I realized maybe I needed to stop shopping 😂

My RV....IS my truck.  😉  We tow the rag top Jeep behind it that holds our two kayaks on a rack on top of it, plus the fold up bikes are in the back of it.  🤗   

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Looks delicious, Pat -- love the picture of Bucky.  

Thanks Sherri...I am guessing you are going through cruise withdrawal symptoms as much as I am.  Sigh....   😞 

Edited by island lady

18 hours ago, Nyc2tropics said:

I bought an RV. Loving it so far. It’s like being in a cruise ship room with a kitchen. 

And no one else has previously slept in your bed or used your bathroom.  😉 

One of the biggest reasons we did so much RV travel in the past...was the ability to take the fur babies with us.  Our "land yacht" has a second (half) bathroom in it, which was the "cat's bathroom".  Bucky bought a new door for it,  cutting a cat door in in it....privacy in the kitty litter box in there.  😄 

On a sad note...we lost both to cancer in the last couple of years.  😞 

Cruise withdrawal. I got it.

All inclusive options exist many places. Many places have fast trains to travel between cities, too. If cruises ceased to be a thing we'd just go back to using other options like that. Not as comfortable as taking your hotel with you so you only have to unpack once, though.

Car trips - either solely by car if the destinations are close enough, or else fly/drive. DIY car traveling is still our favorite mode of travel anyway, but I would greatly miss cruising - such a wonderful way to get to many international destinations without the hassles involved in a hotel-hopping land tour (although we like those too). My car has always had a tough time trying to cross the Atlantic, so a ship is really much better. 😉

Edited by OnTheJourney

6 hours ago, island lady said:

And no one else has previously slept in your bed or used your bathroom.  😉 

One of the biggest reasons we did so much RV travel in the past...was the ability to take the fur babies with us.  Our "land yacht" has a second (half) bathroom in it, which was the "cat's bathroom".  Bucky bought a new door for it,  cutting a cat door in in it....privacy in the kitty litter box in there.  😄 

On a sad note...we lost both to cancer in the last couple of years.  😞 

I was just wondering about that last night, where to put the litter box – – – good idea!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks Sherri...I am guessing you are going through cruise withdrawal symptoms as much as I am.  Sigh....   😞 

Yeah, going through cruise withdrawal big time. ☹️ Have had two HM cruises  cancelled -- April 19 and Aug. 23.  Now wondering whether December 6 will sail.  It's depressing.  I think we may go to a Hilton Head hotel or see if we can get a timeshare next month.  Everything is 30% capacity and many people are cooking in their timeshares or doing takeout from restaurants.  SC numbers have been going up.  Our county is up and down.  My boss, a state Senator, is on Accelerate SC and has been getting testing events that are mobbed.  

13 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Car trips - either solely by car if the destinations are close enough, or else fly/drive. DIY car traveling is still our favorite mode of travel anyway, but I would greatly miss cruising - such a wonderful way to get to many international destinations without the hassles involved in a hotel-hopping land tour (although we like those too). My car has always had a tough time trying to cross the Atlantic, so a ship is really much better. 😉

Agree...though I am still not a fan of driving long distances....but just to get out for awhile...we enjoyed a week of car "cruising" up the coast of Florida doing the A1A "crawl" up to Jekyll island.  Stayed at multiple B&Bs on the way up and down, very little guests in those right now and in fact at one of them...we were the only two guests.  Felt safer than a hotel or resort.  

In fact we actually did "cruise" for 10 minutes both ways on the St. John's river car ferry.  😉 

11 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

I was just wondering about that last night, where to put the litter box – – – good idea!

That was one of the things we looked for as mandatory in design, when we bought this last motor home.  It was a new floor plan for Fleetwood, got it fresh from the factory!  🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Yeah, going through cruise withdrawal big time. ☹️ Have had two HM cruises  cancelled -- April 19 and Aug. 23.  Now wondering whether December 6 will sail.  It's depressing.  I think we may go to a Hilton Head hotel or see if we can get a timeshare next month.  Everything is 30% capacity and many people are cooking in their timeshares or doing takeout from restaurants.  SC numbers have been going up.  Our county is up and down.  My boss, a state Senator, is on Accelerate SC and has been getting testing events that are mobbed.  

I forgot you are also on Harmony 12/6...if it goes...we are going.  Maybe see you there?  🙂 But can't imagine anyone recognizing anyone with all our masks on.  😮 

Spent a week in full kitchen, 2/2 with washer dryer time share week mid June (needed to use up credit from cancelled Hawaiian stay).    It was on the beach in Jensen Beach.  Indeed just like home...but with a different view.  😄 

Edited by island lady