Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I doubt very much anyone cruising this year. I miss cruising but when they can not get crew home not sure how anyone can think they will get crew back on ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes she has once again been anchored off the port in Malaysia as additional crew who have been on-board for several months will be going home very shortly.  Happy for them and those who have already gone home.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ellbon said:

I doubt very much anyone cruising this year. I miss cruising but when they can not get crew home not sure how anyone can think they will get crew back on ship.


So true, Robin, but maybe they learned something from that challenge.

 

Maybe they have a plan.

 

Maybe, like us, they have fingers crossed. 🤞 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, May B said:


So true, Robin, but maybe they learned something from that challenge.

 

Maybe they have a plan.

 

Maybe, like us, they have fingers crossed. 🤞 

Muriel, yes they will get the crew back on the ship.  They do have plans.

 

Things are opening up but it will be fluid.  For example, things open in terms of travel but it could close and reopen.  I suspect (just a guess) this will happen with Europe and I mention them as they have opened the EU and UK but I would not be surprised for some of it to close and then reopen again.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Muriel, yes they will get the crew back on the ship.  They do have plans.

 

Things are opening up but it will be fluid.  For example, things open in terms of travel but it could close and reopen.  I suspect (just a guess) this will happen with Europe and I mention them as they have opened the EU and UK but I would not be surprised for some of it to close and then reopen again.

 

Keith

 

Assuming the ship goes west from Port Klang to get to Miami for the "Caribbean Season", if she is not moving come mid-August I think the early sailings may be in jeopardy. Aside from the crew, the biggest challenge may be getting the US-based/resident "management team",  (like the CD for instance) back on the ship. Unless the US numbers start to come back down over the next six weeks or so, anyone living in the US will be pretty much PNG in many so-called "Western" countries!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

 

Assuming the ship goes west from Port Klang to get to Miami for the "Caribbean Season", if she is not moving come mid-August I think the early sailings may be in jeopardy. Aside from the crew, the biggest challenge may be getting the US-based/resident "management team",  (like the CD for instance) back on the ship. Unless the US numbers start to come back down over the next six weeks or so, anyone living in the US will be pretty much PNG in many so-called "Western" countries!

Larry, I agree that depending on our numbers other countries might not want us flying there but in the case of USA employees such as a CD they would join the ship in Miami so I don't think that will be a problem.

 

As to our numbers, at the current rate they will hit new milestones everyday unless something changes.  Let's hope something changes and people wake up because in some places there will be insufficient beds for people including ICU and we may run out of medical personnel.  

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Could that be an opportunity for Shane?

 

Roy

Roy, the USA based CD will come on board in Miami for the first set of cruises (assuming they happen) and then the other CD would come on board I believe late November as part of rotation.   Should be Shane.

 

I don't think it will be a problem for the USA based CD to make it to Miami.  If it is then we are all in trouble.  😀

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

 

Assuming the ship goes west from Port Klang to get to Miami for the "Caribbean Season", if she is not moving come mid-August I think the early sailings may be in jeopardy. Aside from the crew, the biggest challenge may be getting the US-based/resident "management team",  (like the CD for instance) back on the ship. Unless the US numbers start to come back down over the next six weeks or so, anyone living in the US will be pretty much PNG in many so-called "Western" countries!

Rick lives in Charlotte - ten hour drive.  Gary could always come back if needed and coaxed out of retired for a few weeks.  He lives day's drive from Miami.  I was thinking more like early August departure for Miami - leisurely pace. Also expect that many on this board will have a heads up from the crew as they will require more than usual notification Doubt they have a full crew for the early seven day cruises as I expect they may not be completely full.  Very interesting logistic as well a operational problem.  Expect they will have to get crew versed whatever new measures they have planned.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Larry, I agree that depending on our numbers other countries might not want us flying there but in the case of USA employees such as a CD they would join the ship in Miami so I don't think that will be a problem.

 

As to our numbers, at the current rate they will hit new milestones everyday unless something changes.  Let's hope something changes and people wake up because in some places there will be insufficient beds for people including ICU and we may run out of medical personnel.  

 

Keith

 

There are a number of US-based crew in other operational areas, back office and Shorex come to mind, that in all likelihood would need to board before the ship gets to the US, unless Crystal plans to get the ship to the US a couple of weeks before the scheduled sailings. Of course, they may have to anyway if the US still requires a 14 day quarantine for incoming travelers. I have lost track of whether that is still required. I know it is still required here in Canada.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

 

There are a number of US-based crew in other operational areas, back office and Shorex come to mind, that in all likelihood would need to board before the ship gets to the US, unless Crystal plans to get the ship to the US a couple of weeks before the scheduled sailings. Of course, they may have to anyway if the US still requires a 14 day quarantine for incoming travelers. I have lost track of whether that is still required. I know it is still required here in Canada.

Larry, very few states require the 14 day quarantine, at least for now.  A few implemented it recently and that depends where you are coming from.  For example, New York and some neighboring states implemented it but it's not for everyone.  It was for those coming from 16 other states.  On a national level there are some countries that we don't accept people entering the country from.

 

The ones that  I think about from the USA will likely come on in the USA as they wouldn't be essential for the ship to sail.  I also think where they can get personnel on board here and avoid the costs of the flights they will look at that to minimize expense.  However, I can think of one who is essential and that will be the Captain so we better hope he can come.  😀

 

 

In terms of sailing the situation has not been helped by the big outbreak of COVID-19 in the USA including in Florida.  It might cause pause with those who will make the decision on whether the cruise lines can sail which is unfortunate.

 

Your country overall has done a lot better in managing this situation than we have.  Some of our states have done a terrific job on this but unfortunately many didn't.

 

Let's hope things improve here and in those places with large outbreaks.

 

Well it's time to get ready for today's cooking demonstration.  Looking forward to it.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites

All it takes is one person, just one, to get onboard with a negative test who then becomes positive whilst onboard and spreads the virus.  Maybe to other guests, maybe to the crew, who knows.  Have we learned nothing since Princess and HAL spreads in March?   Look what is happening in states that reopened too early.  Look at Florida, TX, AZ, CA.  The numbers are higher than ever.  The positivity ratio is higher than ever.  It boggles my mind that people not only want to go on a cruise in less than 90 days and that they think its a responsible decision for themselves and others. 
 

I advise anyone who thinks I am a “Negative Nelly” to read the Miami Herald article.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241914096.html

The first line states that no government or international regulatory agency is tracking covid cases linked to ships so who knows how many there were.

 

Some of the shows I watched had a graphic of the spread of CV19 directly linked to cruise ship passengers and how it expanded in the ports/islands the cruise ship visited.  It is scary.

 

I Want cruising to begin and I just don't see It happening this year.  We are not even into the much predicted 2nd spike which should hit in the late fall/winter.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cruisr said:

All it takes is one person, just one, to get onboard with a negative test who then becomes positive whilst onboard and spreads the virus.  Maybe to other guests, maybe to the crew, who knows.  Have we learned nothing since Princess and HAL spreads in March?   Look what is happening in states that reopened too early.  Look at Florida, TX, AZ, CA.  The numbers are higher than ever.  The positivity ratio is higher than ever.  It boggles my mind that people not only want to go on a cruise in less than 90 days and that they think its a responsible decision for themselves and others. 
 

I advise anyone who thinks I am a “Negative Nelly” to read the Miami Herald article.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241914096.html

The first line states that no government or international regulatory agency is tracking covid cases linked to ships so who knows how many there were.

 

Some of the shows I watched had a graphic of the spread of CV19 directly linked to cruise ship passengers and how it expanded in the ports/islands the cruise ship visited.  It is scary.

 

I Want cruising to begin and I just don't see It happening this year.  We are not even into the much predicted 2nd spike which should hit in the late fall/winter.  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and also the article but what does this have to do with where Serenity is now which I thought was the topic of this thread?

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and also the article but what does this have to do with where Serenity is now which I thought was the topic of this thread?

 

Keith

Sorry, I guess I thought I was answering OP about where the ship is now and hoping it will be in MIA to sail on Oct 1.  We don’t know where the ship will be on 10/1 and we don't know if it will sail.  Since Elbon responded about not knowing if we would cruise this year I thought it was ok to make my post.  Is there a moderator that can move it to a more appropriate place?  Can Host Dan do that?  I guess I can delete it or start a new thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, cruisr said:

All it takes is one person, just one, to get onboard with a negative test who then becomes positive whilst onboard and spreads the virus.  Maybe to other guests, maybe to the crew, who knows.  Have we learned nothing since Princess and HAL spreads in March?   Look what is happening in states that reopened too early.  Look at Florida, TX, AZ, CA.  The numbers are higher than ever.  The positivity ratio is higher than ever.  It boggles my mind that people not only want to go on a cruise in less than 90 days and that they think its a responsible decision for themselves and others. 
 

I advise anyone who thinks I am a “Negative Nelly” to read the Miami Herald article.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241914096.html

The first line states that no government or international regulatory agency is tracking covid cases linked to ships so who knows how many there were.

 

Some of the shows I watched had a graphic of the spread of CV19 directly linked to cruise ship passengers and how it expanded in the ports/islands the cruise ship visited.  It is scary.

 

I Want cruising to begin and I just don't see It happening this year.  We are not even into the much predicted 2nd spike which should hit in the late fall/winter.  

Enjoyed reading the Miami Herald article.  This would  provide an interesting topic for discussion on the "Sweating Out or Living With the Pandemic" thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruisr...... just read your post. I read the article you posted. It was written April 23 with some updates.
Don’t you think everything that was done wrong with the cruise ships during that period in March, will be addressed in future sailings.

These statistics are worthless except to educate the cruise lines. It was a time that no one understood what was happening around the world, including hospitals, doctors and all levels of government officials. 
Unfortunately, after too many deaths, solutions were sought. There will be vaccines and treatments for this disease. 
The elderly must continue to be cautious even afterwards. Continue to wear masks and gloves in public.
The young folks, who treat this cavalierly because their cases are no worse than the common cold, don’t realize they need to be more considerate for their elderly relatives. These are the ones who are creating this monstrous numbers today. 

I believe that such horror has happened in only four months and so much has been learned. And, there is much left to be learned. 
So, I will continue to be optimistic about sailing to the Caribbean four months from now. 
sheila

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a few of you are reading the Regent forum also, and if that applies to you please excuse the duplicate post.  However, since gloves were mentioned here also, I felt compelled to say it again:

 

I don't see much point in wearing gloves.   Skin makes a pretty good barrier, and it is a lot easier to wash and keep clean than gloves.  Not to mention a heck of a lot more comfortable.  If you wear gloves for a prolonged period of time, everything you touch with them accumulates and your gloved hands can become the source of contamination for the rest of you.  I think people probably have more likelihood of washing their hands (without gloves) than changing their gloves on a regular basis.

 

Of course if you know you are going to touch something that is contaminated or needs to be protected from contamination, it would make sense to put on fresh gloves first, and then when you are done with that task, take the gloves off and wash your hands.  That is how they are (or at least used to be) used in a health care setting.  Now when my health care worker comes into the room already wearing gloves, I am very concerned about just how long they have been wearing them, and how many patients they may have touched before they got to me.

 

I don't mind wearing masks when needed, but a mandate for everyone to wear gloves on board would probably become a deal breaker for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Muriel, yes they will get the crew back on the ship.  They do have plans.

 

Things are opening up but it will be fluid.  For example, things open in terms of travel but it could close and reopen.  I suspect (just a guess) this will happen with Europe and I mention them as they have opened the EU and UK but I would not be surprised for some of it to close and then reopen again.


I don’t think so....

 

Not sure what your definition of opening up is but things aren’t really improving and cruising is a long way off

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:


I don’t think so....

 

Not sure what your definition of opening up is but things aren’t really improving and cruising is a long way off

EU began to open its borders to several countries but not mine.

 

It has nothing to do with cruising .

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I know a few of you are reading the Regent forum also, and if that applies to you please excuse the duplicate post.  However, since gloves were mentioned here also, I felt compelled to say it again:

 

I don't see much point in wearing gloves.   Skin makes a pretty good barrier, and it is a lot easier to wash and keep clean than gloves.  Not to mention a heck of a lot more comfortable.  If you wear gloves for a prolonged period of time, everything you touch with them accumulates and your gloved hands can become the source of contamination for the rest of you.  I think people probably have more likelihood of washing their hands (without gloves) than changing their gloves on a regular basis.

 

Of course if you know you are going to touch something that is contaminated or needs to be protected from contamination, it would make sense to put on fresh gloves first, and then when you are done with that task, take the gloves off and wash your hands.  That is how they are (or at least used to be) used in a health care setting.  Now when my health care worker comes into the room already wearing gloves, I am very concerned about just how long they have been wearing them, and how many patients they may have touched before they got to me.

 

I don't mind wearing masks when needed, but a mandate for everyone to wear gloves on board would probably become a deal breaker for me.

You are correct.  You should not wear gloves.   People think there is a benefit to them.   If you wear them you would have to keep washing them.

 

Better not to wear them.

 

You should frequently wash hands and much easier to wash hands than gloves.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I know a few of you are reading the Regent forum also, and if that applies to you please excuse the duplicate post.  However, since gloves were mentioned here also, I felt compelled to say it again:

 

I don't see much point in wearing gloves.   Skin makes a pretty good barrier, and it is a lot easier to wash and keep clean than gloves.  Not to mention a heck of a lot more comfortable.  If you wear gloves for a prolonged period of time, everything you touch with them accumulates and your gloved hands can become the source of contamination for the rest of you.  I think people probably have more likelihood of washing their hands (without gloves) than changing their gloves on a regular basis.

 

Of course if you know you are going to touch something that is contaminated or needs to be protected from contamination, it would make sense to put on fresh gloves first, and then when you are done with that task, take the gloves off and wash your hands.  That is how they are (or at least used to be) used in a health care setting.  Now when my health care worker comes into the room already wearing gloves, I am very concerned about just how long they have been wearing them, and how many patients they may have touched before they got to me.

 

I don't mind wearing masks when needed, but a mandate for everyone to wear gloves on board would probably become a deal breaker for me.


Interestingly, I’m seeing gloves pop up in a lot of new travel industry protocols, but in a way that’s completely consistent with what you’ve described.  In cases where clean hands are needed quickly, and it’s not convenient or feasible to wash your hands, a fresh pair of gloves is being used to help get as close to that as possible.  Bell staff were one of the examples that came to mind — it was the fastest way they could get them turned around and ready for the next guest.  They are now (at many properties) changing gloves in between calls and use a different pair when assisting each guest and handling their belongings.

 

Who ever imagined bell staff would change gloves for each guest the way a doctor did between patients?  But this is where we are today, so I’m glad we can implement processes like this.

 

Vince

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...