Horizon Returning

Empehi

On one of the You Tube blogs I heard that the old Celebrity Horizon is being returned due to the

bankruptcy of the Pullmantur Cruise line. I have sailed on her and she is a great smaller ship.

Lets hope Celebrity refurbishes her and deploys the ship .... perhaps a more adult oriented

experience .... without all the bells and whistles of today's mega-ships. What does everyone

think.

tp

Horizon is on it's way to Pireaus, where it has been reported that the ship will be stripped of all it's salable equipment.  This is what reportedly happened to the Monarch and Sovereign when they were in Naples.

Still some conjecture though, as both Sovereign and Monarch are currently doing loops between Sicily and Malta.

Can't imagine Horizon coming back to Celebrity.  Maybe to Azamara, but would doubt even that.

1 minute ago, excitedofharpenden said:

No way would she go to Azamara. I think they have their own capacity issues going forward. 

Phil 

Definitely.  Suddenly 3 ships may seem too much.  I really doubt that the Horizon is going anywhere but Turkey.

In the current days of cruising suspension, very limited cash outflow, avoiding bankruptcy, and needing to renovate some ships (presumably newer ones) for new COVID guidelines, I cannot imagine that Celebrity or RCCL would spend money on very old, small ships with few balconies or modern amenities.  Other than a few folks that look back fondly on sailing these ships, there would be really limited number of passengers that would sign up IMO.

• Like 1

Stupid post and there's zero,zero,zero chance of any old ship coming back to either Royal or Celebrity. These kinds of threads make no sense at all if people take one moment and look at all the facts. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Horizon is on it's way to Pireaus, where it has been reported that the ship will be stripped of all it's salable equipment.  This is what reportedly happened to the Monarch and Sovereign when they were in Naples.

Still some conjecture though, as both Sovereign and Monarch are currently doing loops between Sicily and Malta.

Can't imagine Horizon coming back to Celebrity.  Maybe to Azamara, but would doubt even that.

Kind of makes you wonder why they just don't go ahead and scrap them now rather than sailing around aimlessly

7 minutes ago, jalves said:

Kind of makes you wonder why they just don't go ahead and scrap them now rather than sailing around aimlessly

Perhaps waiting for a slot in Turkey.

The Sovereign track looks similar.  Loop de loops.

image.png.c0d56eb7b756747be2f9f84ad8e17a5c.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

The Horizon has sadly fulfilled her purpose. She has few balconies and there is no way that any of the major lines would place her in service. 

Majors?  Not likely, no.

But with 68 balcony cabins you would think there would be some home for her.

At least Zenith ended up with Peace Boat, which should buy her a good many years of future service.

38 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Stupid post and there's zero,zero,zero chance of any old ship coming back to either Royal or Celebrity. These kinds of threads make no sense at all if people take one moment and look at all the facts. 

I think the purpose of the post was to get information on the validity of such a possibility. Maybe just posting for conversation to learn? We don't all know the intimate details of the cruise line industry and sometimes we have to ask those with experience and inside knowledge.

In any case I enjoy reading most of the threads, learning from many.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

I think the purpose of the post was to get information on the validity of such a possibility. Maybe just posting for conversation to learn? We don't all know the intimate details of the cruise line industry and sometimes we have to ask those with experience and inside knowledge.

In any case I enjoy reading most of the threads, learning from many.

There's already two other threads on this subject, among others.

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Why does one bother to read stupid posts and threads that make no sense?  This is a board filled with opinions, facts be darned.

This is a wonderful place to practice social distancing with no need of a mask and a wonderful way to kill time.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Why does one bother to read stupid posts and threads that make no sense?  This is a board filled with opinions, facts be darned.

This is a wonderful place to practice social distancing with no need of a mask and a wonderful way to kill time.

Absolutely. It doesn't hurt me one bit to read and laugh at something.

In fairness, however, it might be that Kwokpot is truly the 'critic' in Cruise Critic. Or maybe (s)he is having a grumpy day. 😎

11 hours ago, kwokpot said:

While I agree that your viewpoint is probably correct, I wonder why you felt you had to be so darned rude to the original poster. Are you the smartest person on Cruise Critic? You know there is one great way to never have to read a thread like this again. Get off Cruise Critic. Then reading something like this thread will never bother your sensibilities.

• Like 1

The ship is being "returned" to RCI since Pullmantur never "owned" the vessel, it was only the operator or charterer.  You will find that the actual "owner" of the ship is an RCI subsidiary that owns one or two ships, which is a common practice in the maritime industry.  So, when a charter is finished, because Pullmantur has ceased operations, the chartered vessel is returned to its owner.  Has no bearing on whether the ship would return to service with Celebrity or not, just returning property to its rightful owner for whatever disposition that owner sees fit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Horizon is 30 years old, out of date, lacks balconies, doubtless her time for the breakers has come.

That is only a side effect of our disposable culture.

It still has 68 balcony cabins, not the perfect situation but they are available.

The size is manageable and easy to navigate.  It can reach ports that larger ships cannot even get near (Hamilton, BDA e.g.)

If it weren't for the cruise industry's toxic overcapacity due to the worldwide shutdown, I am quite confident that the Horizon would have found a home (or actually, still continued life with Pullmantur).

That is only a side effect of our disposable culture.
It still has 68 balcony cabins, not the perfect situation but they are available.
The size is manageable and easy to navigate.  It can reach ports that larger ships cannot even get near (Hamilton, BDA e.g.)

If it weren't for the cruise industry's toxic overcapacity due to the worldwide shutdown, I am quite confident that the Horizon would have found a home (or actually, still continued life with Pullmantur).

Yes, she could do the Hamilton/St.Georges Bermuda itinerary and I prefer her over Empress which they were planning to use on that itinerary this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Our first Celebrity cruise was on Horizon to Bermuda back in 2002 and she did not have any balconies at that point in time. I will say that it was the only time I got a little seasick on the trip over out of Baltimore when we hit some rocky seas the first night when we hit the open ocean.  

I sailed on Horizon when she was sailing under the Pullmantur flag.  While we had a nice time, it would take a lot of cash to bring her back to Celebrity standards.  I'd be pretty surprised if that occurred.