Grandeur of the Seas Junior Suite Question

9 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Huh?  I've never seen anything below a Grand Suite get the legit suite perks like double points or priority.

We've been receiving double points for JS's for the last 20 years. Maybe your state has a tax on cruise points?

R&D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kasmrobi said:

We live about 30 minutes from the Baltimore port and 3 hours from the Bayonne port. We have been on the Anthem quite a few times. Husband and I are looking for a low-key, relatively inexpensive and relatively short getaway.  Unplugging with a stack of books! We have had two 2020 cruises cancelled so far. Looking at the January 2021 8-day Southeast coast (one with the stop in Charleston) for my husband's birthday and a break from winter in DC. We have a "bigger" trip booked for May 2021 to celebrate our 31st anniversary (30th anniversary was one of the canceled cruises 😞 ) and our son's graduation from college.

That is a very inexpensive cruise, and the Grandeur is lovely, and your convenience cannot be beat.

If you want to express confidence that the Grandeur will be sailing then, I say, "Book the JS."  It's a very good value on that cruise.

57 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Huh?  I've never seen anything below a Grand Suite get the legit suite perks like double points or priority.

Then you are unfortunately misinformed.  Junior Suites get two points per night.  Period.

(as Dennis pointed out, an additional, third point, per night if solo)

6 hours ago, kasmrobi said:

Why should I consider another ship?

Nothing wrong with Grandeur, but as others have said, not sure she'll ever sail again for RCI - Enchantment might be a good choice, after sailings start again.

11 hours ago, Pumbaamd said:

Many of the JS's on GR are under the pool and Windjammer. Check the deck plan carefully to find a more quiet spot. We've sailed in many, many vision class JS's and enjoyed everyone. We don't need all the bells and whistles, all the time. 

R&D

Thanks for the info. I chose an aft category cabin that is closer to the spa and Solarium. 

Thanks everyone! I put a deposit down for a January 2021 cruise on the Grandeur. Final payment isn't due until October, so plenty of time to make changes or cancel between now and then. The pricing was too good to not lock in! We'll see what happens between now and October.

15 hours ago, bearette said:

One benefit then, but I wound not plan on it since it isn't written down.

We have always received  double points  by staying in  a junior suite

9 hours ago, Pumbaamd said:

Just to confirm, there is not a port anywhere easier to debark from and to disembark the following week. Driving into the port, just pop your trunk and a porter will take your bags. Parking is just a few feet away, after you pay your parking fees. The walk from the parking area is 1 - 3 minutes to check in. Enjoy your Grandeur cruise! We have enjoyed many.

R&D

Have you sailed from PC or Miami new terminals🤔

One cool thing about PC, is if you sail more than one cruise the rest of the parking fees are free😁

• Haha 1

IMO, the JS are a far better option on the Vision class ships than a full suite.  I despise the location of the full suites on the Vision class - all shoved up front under the WJ.  Even though we almost always cruise in a full suite, I always opt for the JS for Vision class.  The only thing I miss by sailing in the JS vs full suite is breakfast in Chops (I couldn't care less about the Concierge/suites lounge). 

Grandeur is a great little ship but I agree with John that I am skeptical that Grandeur will ever sail again under RCCL flag.  A shame, but a very real possibility, IMO.  The last photo that I saw of Grandeur (maybe a month ago) almost made me cry.  She looked absolutely awful...all rusty and sad.  If, by some miracle, they do allow her to sail her last days with Royal, I'm sure they will clean her up...but it was still very sad.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kasmrobi said:

Gotcha. We usually do sail out of Bayonne. Just thought we would try something different and departing from closer to home. From everything I have read so far, people seem to either love the "quaintness" of the smaller, older Grandeur without the bells and whistles, or hate it for the same reasons.

Have sailed out of both Cape and Balt.

Balt has been the fastest from pulling to sitting at the bar. Only Boston has been faster.

First experience of Cape was 2+ hrs from parking lot to Bar. That being said I never heard an official reason took so long to get on the ship.

17 hours ago, PigsCanFly said:

We really like the GotS and will miss her if & when she goes away. 

As you have mentioned the "Quaintness", agreed! Grandeur is one of the oldest ships in the fleet. Some feel she is too old. But like many will say, She is a sweet lady with superior quality in service. She is by far one of the best for a lazy chilling cruise.

She will be missed. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bearette said:

One benefit then, but I wound not plan on it since it isn't written down.

We've stayed in JS on Grandeur 7 times and on other ships multiple times (at least 10).  You absolutely get double points.  

Edited by BND

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

No, but that's not the point. I'd love to give her a run.  I'm just not sure she'll still be around.

We love GR.  Baltimore is a fabulously easy  port to get to, check in and cruise from.  Crew is wonderful and is always rated really high by cruisers.  There's just something about that ship that we are going to miss.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lovelife said:

I'm not sure why the double points for junior suites are still being questioned.  We have sailed in 40+ junior suites and got double points for all.  It's a fact!!

Several of us have stated it lol.  In all our RCI cruises, we've only done a balcony once. All the rest have been JS and GS.  It's how we hit D+ fairly quickly.  All our cancelled cruises were JS also.  Hard not to calculate where we'd be at this point.  

We live in Baltimore and have sailed on Lady G several times. Yeah, she's aged, but there is something special about her. We always do a JS, always get double points. We've got one last trip planned on her in Jan '21. Fingers crossed that we'll be able to sail. 

1 hour ago, John Prine Fan said:

We live in Baltimore and have sailed on Lady G several times. Yeah, she's aged, but there is something special about her. We always do a JS, always get double points. We've got one last trip planned on her in Jan '21. Fingers crossed that we'll be able to sail. 

We booked the January 21, 2021 trip. Maybe we'll see you there!

As to size, if you look a picture of Lady G, the balcony railing consists of glass panels.  A Balcony cabin is 2 glass panels.  A Jr Suite is 3 glass panels.  So about 50% more balcony space.  Grand and Owners suites are 4 glass panels.

Owners suites are about 6 feet more from hallway to balcony that all other cabins.

Lady G is scheduled to leave the fleet at the end of March 2021.  She will be replaced by Enchantment.

Edited by SRF

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

Lady G is scheduled to leave the fleet at the end of March 2021.  She will be replaced by Enchantment.

Yes, but if the recommencement of cruising doesn't come until 2021, will they bother bringing her back for just three months?  😞 

11 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, but if the recommencement of cruising doesn't come until 2021, will they bother bringing her back for just three months?  😞 

I hope so. We would like to sail her before she goes and then the Enchantment another time.