Carnival "Shock" Absorber !!!

jetsfan58

Cruise Critic fans I hope you enjoyed a wonderful and festive Holiday Celebration. It's always good to relax with special friends and family. We are all Carnival Cruise fans and some of us are just plain ole Cruise obsessed. We were bitten by the Carnival Cruise "bug" years ago and have remained faithful to this magnificent line of ships.      

As we await our Cruising Passion to be re-engaged, I was wondering what are some of you doing to stave off the "Exhausting Shock" of not being able to cruise? Our family is especially "distraught" because we traditionally cruise during the July 4th time-frame. This must be a very stressful time to many? I personally am taking this time to read a lot of new books, cook a bunch of new found recipes (healthy of course) and talk more with long distance family members.  

What are you doing to "Absorb This Shock" ???? 

Since we can't cruise in the Caribbean, we're flying to the Caribbean in 2 weeks. Although we won't be on a ship, at least we'll still be in paradise. Still counting down until our next cruises though. 

• Like 1

What a year it's been! We have had 3 cruises cancelled so far: March and April on Princess and August on Carnival. Since we usually cruise 4 or 5 times a year this has taken some attitude adjustment but we are trying to make the best of it. We spend a lot of time outdoors. Fortunately we have a nice yard and a pool so have been "vacationing" at home. Now that our August cruise has been cancelled we are planning to take a road trip down to the Florida Keys, if the conditions in August allow. We live in Florida so we won't have to leave the state.

I have also been doing a lot of reading. I'm just finishing a book that I've had for several years and never got around to reading. I was on the Royal Princess when it was new and a lecturer, who had been on the design team for the ship, recommended the book for anyone interested in the history of the cruise industry. It's called "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea" and is a fascinating account of the early days of the cruise industry. The author is Kristoffer Garin. It was published in 2005 so doesn't have the latest adventures but gives some real insight into the formation and building of Carnival and other major cruiselines. If interested, check the online used bookstores for a copy.

Everybody stay safe and think positive! 

• Like 1

Host Carolyn thank you for the vote of confidence with this subject matter. Let's vow to keep this one clean and fun. It really hurt me and my family this weekend that we were not totally enjoying our annual Family Vacation Cruise. We have been cruising the July 4th Holiday for a number of years. 

Just wanted to gauge everyone's coping tactics during this time. Great commentary and let's have some fun!!!      

We've had 6 cruises cancelled thus far...including a B2B originally scheduled for September.  But, now that we're in the full-fledged throes of Summer, we've moved out of our traditional cruising "season" (we very rarely cruise during the Summer months) and now have moved into our "beach trip" season.

Accordingly, we're leaving in a few days for North Myrtle Beach and then in August, for St. Augustine, FL.  

Hopefully, cruising will resume by the time our next scheduled cruise (October 2020) rolls around...not necessarily counting on it, but I still have high hopes!

Garnett

It's not too hard right now. This is the time of year I let the families have the ships anyway. I've been back at work for two months and I have a lot more work now. I watch a lot of UFC and boxing this time of year so I'm glad we have those sports back. I've been making sure I keep something new on my blog every week. I spent two weekends down in Galveston last month which gave me a lot of content for that. The real test will be when we get to the fall and there's no cruising and maybe no football. That's when it'll get tough.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

No NY Jets Football in the Fall? Man what are we going to do? This would call for "Double Shock Therapy"!!

What????? I've been MIA from my regular a.m. NFL network fix but seriously?? No Steelers? No Jimmy, Terry & company pregame?! Say it isn't so.

this was my shock therapy😮......

and when you guys need a shock absorber in the worst way, just remember: you could be in "no cruising shock" and moderating these boards😱😜😇

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

No NY Jets Football in the Fall? Man what are we going to do? This would call for "Double Shock Therapy"!!

You should be used no professional football in New York (New Jersey) by now.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I moved! My husband and I just got moved into our forever home! We ditched the 'burbs and moved to the country on about 4 acres with a pond! So we have plenty to do to keep us occupied for a while! 🙂

Will be rebooking our October cruise to sometime next year - trying to decide between Spring and Fall. I don't usually cruise in the summer due to the higher prices. It might be the safer bet to hold off until Fall, but I'm jonesing for a cruise and the new house afterglow will only take me so far! LOL

• Like 1

I rescheduled my cruise (14 month away now) but am keeping it live by buying one little thing per month for the trip.  It makes me happy.  We're going to Alaska and we already had the biggies (binoculars, luggage, etc.) but I'm stalking sales for waterproof pants (for whale watching excursion, fishing).  I found a cheap raincoat at threadUP.  

I also just started a new job.  It gets a ton more leave than my previous ones. So I'm learning and banking up my time and reminding myself that I will have more than enough hours to take two full weeks off next September without having to make any time up.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I remember back in the early 70's, when the Chicago Bears had fallen on hard times,  a die-hard fan and season ticket holder sued the franchise for fraud.  In his filing, he accused the Bears of "Impersonating a professional football team". 😏

Garnett

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

That's a low blow Greg, but true! 😀 However, my Giants have won 4 Super Bowls so it hasn't been all bad.🤗

• Like 1

I'm watching re-runs of pro baseball & football, & college football games. Besides hanging out on the forum more than I should, going swimming in our pool(nothing fancy, but it does get me wet), binge watching tv shows that I love, talking with the wife about cruising in general, reading books & playing with our dog, Lucky. A rescue  Wheaten Terrier. 

Booked a few days in the TN/NC area for mid October. Maybe we will get lucky and see leaves change. Still optimistic for Jan 2021 cruise, but getting "hardened" just in case. We missed our big anniversary in May and not looking to pickup a November deal.... Just glad to be healthy and looking forward to next cruise. We have a few cruises to make up!!

• Like 1

We rented a motor home and are about to head to ND to visit DS and doing some biking/golf/camping in Medora.  It may be our only chance to see him this year.  He was going to be coming home to be in our best friends son's wedding in September but they just decided this weekend to go with a small wedding in Vegas and renew their vows and have a reception September 2021 instead.  So now DS will be heading to Vegas instead of coming home to MI for a visit😔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

What????? I've been MIA from my regular a.m. NFL network fix but seriously?? No Steelers? No Jimmy, Terry & company pregame?! Say it isn't so.

this was my shock therapy😮......

and when you guys need a shock absorber in the worst way, just remember: you could be in "no cruising shock" and moderating these boards😱😜😇

LOL