September 2020 cruises

Mitina

Looks like all September cruises (river and ocean) have been removed from the Viking website.  Our September cruise on MVJ is also no longer accessible.  I suspect an announcement coming soon.

• Like 1

Agreed. What you report is what we saw in advance of cancelling the July and August cruises. It may take a few days or it maybe later today.

BE SURE TO READ THE ENTIRE CANCELLATION E-MAIL: When we got our cancellation e-mail for our August cruise, it already included the 125% voucher, at the very end of the long e-mail. For those who want cash back, there is a deadline for requesting cash back. If some of your September cruise has been paid for with a future cruise voucher, it is not eligible for the 125% and it is not eligible for refund.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

BE SURE TO READ THE ENTIRE CANCELLATION E-MAIL: When we got our cancellation e-mail for our August cruise, it already included the 125% voucher, at the very end of the long e-mail. For those who want cash back, there is a deadline for requesting cash back. If some of your September cruise has been paid for with a future cruise voucher, it is not eligible for the 125% and it is not eligible for refund.

I don't understand why payments made with future cruise vouchers aren't eligible for a refund? 

So if you've used a voucher which you got as recompense for,  for example, a cruise that went wrong, you surely haven't had the benefit from that voucher when Viking cancelled your cruise?  Would the same also apply to Cruise Certificates that you buy on river cruises to use against a new booking?  (asking for a friend...😉 )

15 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

I don't understand why payments made with future cruise vouchers aren't eligible for a refund? 

So if you've used a voucher which you got as recompense for,  for example, a cruise that went wrong, you surely haven't had the benefit from that voucher when Viking cancelled your cruise?  Would the same also apply to Cruise Certificates that you buy on river cruises to use against a new booking?  (asking for a friend...😉 )

Take a look at this thread...all may not be lost:

11 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

Does not apply to the cruise certificates. Those go back on your account to be used on a future cruise.

As for any questions about how vouchers work and what the rules are, take it up directly with Viking. It is their policy and they get to explain it and defend it. It is way too complicated.

The Chairman's 3rd short film update is now posted on Viking TV. Confirms cruises cancelled through Sept 30th, but they are looking at some test cruises on Ocean  & River ships to test new procedures.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Chairman's 3rd short film update is now posted on Viking TV. Confirms cruises cancelled through Sept 30th, but they are looking at some test cruises on Ocean  & River ships to test new procedures.

Where do I sign up to be tested???  I'll even try new bourbon brands if they want.  😎

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Where do I sign up to be tested???  I'll even try new bourbon brands if they want.  😎

OMG!! That would be the equivalent of me drinking lagers or Whisky that has the extra "e"😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

OMG!! That would be the equivalent of me drinking lagers or Whisky that has the extra "e"😁

Sometimes we just have to do the hard things.  I am willing to help Viking in any way that involves free cruises, free drinks, etc.  🍺

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Sometimes we just have to do the hard things.  I am willing to help Viking in any way that involves free cruises, free drinks, etc.  🍺

Jim - better read the small print. After the World Cruises, all current and previous seafarers are exempt from free drinks.😁 😁 Couldn't get into sufficient ports to restock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - better read the small print. After the World Cruises, all current and previous seafarers are exempt from free drinks.😁 😁 Couldn't get into sufficient ports to restock.

Haha, you can't hang that on me.  I made it twice around with only the occasional scolding.  Only after you boarded were consistent shortages a problem.  🍺

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Does not apply to the cruise certificates. Those go back on your account to be used on a future cruise.

As for any questions about how vouchers work and what the rules are, take it up directly with Viking. It is their policy and they get to explain it and defend it. It is way too complicated.

Completely agree with your last statement however I have in writing from Viking that if we book a cruise using our 50%fare voucher (from our shortened transatlantic) and the cruise is subsequently canceled that the voucher would be reinstated.  

Obviously, YMMV.  🤪

• Like 2

Given a choice, always take the sure bet. In this case, take the money.  If you got the 125% you are committed to letting them keep your money.  Read the small print.  When you book using fcc and then get cancelled, you are on the hook  Some cruise lines will not reinstate those credits from problems if you used them to book.  Ran into that on another line.  Crazy?  Not rushing to book any cruise and when I do, the cruise lines that refunded will get my future bookings.  I got my Viking cruise refunded.

18 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Completely agree with your last statement however I have in writing from Viking that if we book a cruise using our 50%fare voucher (from our shortened transatlantic) and the cruise is subsequently canceled that the voucher would be reinstated.  

Obviously, YMMV.  🤪

Clay - that is consistent with what we were advised. If our May/June 2021 cruise is cancelled, the FCV is returned to the account.

Good Evening, All ~ My husband and I had a river cruise booked for September 3rd which was included in the latest rounds of Viking cancellations.  On July 9th, we opted for a refund rather than the value-added voucher and I am VERY pleased to say that our refund from Viking posted to our checking account this morning. Still awaiting a refund on our credit card for the deposit and insurance, but at least the bulk of our investment has been refunded.  For those of you in the same "boat", I hope your experience is similar.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Jim and Andy....you guys are too much! These recent entries cracked me up. I believe you could work up a decent duo comedy routine - evening show onboard. Surely would be better than some I've seen 😀

We could work for free food and drinks.

On the other hand, I've seen the bonded locker and it isn't big enough to have Jim and I on the same ship for more than a day.😁🥂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Probably non-alcoholic beverages only. 

Under new restrictions, do you really think they'd allow both of you on the same ship together??  😉

Whaaaa?  I quit!🍸

Oh yeah?..so now I KNOW what the true appeal of these world cruises are.....8 months of endless elbow bending, as it were....  🥃 And here I thought it was to actually see a bunch of new places....😁

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Oh yeah?..so now I KNOW what the true appeal of these world cruises are.....8 months of endless elbow bending, as it were....  🥃 And here I thought it was to actually see a bunch of new places....😁

Some may refer to it as elbow bending 😀, I prefer sampling at least one different world-wide hopped beverage daily.😁🍻

• Haha 1

Doesn't every cruise need a few DD's (designated drinkers?)  You guys just reminded me of a neat tavern we used to go to that was part of a quaint resort in the Pocono Mts.  - they always featured "beers from around the world".. Always used to try something different. Unfortunately, the place changed ownership and the international beer menu went out along with some of the changes. It was most disappointing. 

images.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

Edited by OnTheJourney