Hurtigruten Starts Cruising Round British Isles Sept 3rd

jocap

Cruise Critic's News page talks about  Hurtigruten having a cruise from Portsmouth this September 3rd.

A TA wrote about these cruises on social media... one is Liverpool, Wales, Ireland, Scilly Isles and Cornwall, for £1100, on Sept 7th, so I assume that the first cruise is just a short break to reach Liverpool.

I will be very interested in how this cruise goes....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jocap said:

Cruise Critic's News page talks about  Hurtigruten having a cruise from Portsmouth this September 3rd.

A TA wrote about these cruises on social media... one is Liverpool, Wales, Ireland, Scilly Isles and Cornwall, for £1100, on Sept 7th, so I assume that the first cruise is just a short break to reach Liverpool.

I will be very interested in how this cruise goes....

Sounds very interesting. 

There's to be 4 cruises-

Sept 2nd from Portsmouth

Sept 7th- Liverpool

Sept 12th- Glasgow.

Sept 17th-Liverpool.

Guests may book continuous cruises.

Guests will be at 65%, which is 350.

Starting from £999.

• Like 1

Perhaps they're hoping to get round the insurance problem by always being close to a UK/Irish port? Perhaps you could get some sort of travel insurance for missing the cruise, lost luggage, accidents.

I did meet a family on a round Britain Isles cruise once, where the mother was in the last stages of cancer, and wasn't insured... they were relying on being close to an NHS hospital in the ports. Luckily she remained well.

I wonder if Hurtigruten are mainly offering these to German and Norwegian passengers, rather the British?

They do specify that they will comply with all legislation, and as it is standard for most cruise/tour companies to specify that you must have insurance, they will know that UK passengers will not have insurance, so???

I also wonder if they have any agreement in place with the Isle of Man, as that is included on the Liverpool-Liverpool sailing, but the IOM has closed it's borders apart from an air bridge with Guernsey.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The following from the BBC website:

Four crew members on a Norwegian cruise ship, MS Roald Amundsen, tested positive for Covid-19 and are now in hospital. The ship is docked in Tromso, northern Norway.

All 160 quarantined crew will be tested and the 177 passengers, who have disembarked, have been urged to self-isolate.

The ship, owned by Norwegian firm Hurtigruten, had been on a week-long voyage to Svalbard in the Arctic. It is scheduled to visit ports in England and Scotland in September, Reuters reports.

In March, Hurtigruten suspended most cruises because of the pandemic, but it plans to return 14 vessels to service by the end of September.

Last report I saw was 36 crew. All passengers from the last 2 cruises have been ordered to self quarantine by the Norwegian Gov.

As Hurtigruten published some quite specific protocols, and as these included regular temperature checks, it seems to demonstrate that temperature, oxygen checks etc are not much use in preventing infections getting on board.

Even laboratory tests are not 100% infallible, and all other "instant" checks are only a very rough guide.

It seems more and more that regardless of how many checks, how much cleaning and scrubbing is carried out, whatever fresh air circulation and/or filters are arranged - the real risk anywhere is still groups of people sharing the same space for extended periods. I only takes one person, who may or may not have symptoms, to start a chain of infection.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/hurtigruten-crew-members-test-positive-for-covid-19-on-a-norway-cruise

I also saw a report (which I cannot now find, but it may be on the Hurtigruten forum) that one passenger also tested positive, but that must have been well after disembarking.

• Like 1