Crown for Panama

Well, it was supposed to get a dry dock this October in France and hopefully she still will because she's been having propeller issues. But otherwise I adored Crown and would love to get back on! Lovely promenade deck, great aft pool deck area. But if theater shows are important to you, make sure you prioritize so you can get a good seat! The reviews of Crown are somewhat polarizing, but I don't know what other ships you've been on so I can't really compare for you. If you ask more specific questions, we might be able to help you out better! 

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Just realize that if this is a partial transit, it will be through the new locks, not the original.  EM

Crown will not fit through the old locks, so even if it is a full transit the new locks will be used.

If it sails the Crown is a fine ship for this itinerary. Lots of viewing areas on both the upper and promenade decks. Nice lounges and 5 pools for on ship time. When sailing the 10 RT itinerary only those passengers that booked ship's tours can tender off in Gatun Lake. No private excursions and no just getting off and looking around. 

I am booked on the Crown for the Feb 1, 2021 sailing. I chose this RT because of the new locks. Since it is just an in/out, I will stay on for the exit trip.  Not sure if she will sail, but only time will tell.  My favorite area is the forward promenade deck on the Emerald level.

Crown is a fine ship, and I really like the views from Skywalkers (you can go up there during the day and get a window seat and just enjoy the views.)  All three times we sailed her there was norovirus onboard, however.  Probably a coincidence, LOL, and she isn't the only ship we've sailed with noro.  

1 hour ago, SLC1954 said:

I am booked on the Crown for the Feb 1, 2021 sailing. I chose this RT because of the new locks. Since it is just an in/out, I will stay on for the exit trip.  Not sure if she will sail, but only time will tell.  My favorite area is the forward promenade deck on the Emerald level.

If you have not done it yet and it is still available the Ferry excursion through the other locks is interesting and informative.  It is a long hot day but we thought it was well worth it.

• 7 months later...
34 minutes ago, bejw said:

We are seriously considering this cruise for March of 2022. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Have done this a number of times. It is an easy RT way to experience a transit of the new Atlantic locks. There are some nice stops in the western Caribbean. Have been on the Crown and its sister ships many times. Was actually on the Crown for 30 days in 2020 disembarking one sailing before the industry shutdown. While older they were in nice condition, and I like the design vs. the newer Royal Class ships.

The ship enters the Agua Clara locks around 6am. It takes maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours to clear all the locks. Once in the lake the ship anchors. Those on tours are tendered ashore. Only those on ship's tours are allowed to go ashore. There were tours that took you through the remainder of the canal on small craft. There are many other tours as well.  This is the way it was before the pandemic and I have no reason to believe this will change. Once the ship receives clearance it exits back through the same locks and docks at Cristobal. There was a large tent on the pier with some local vendors and entertainment. There is nothing else in Cristobal. Passengers on tours are bused back to the ship and board at Cristobal.

We have done both full and partial transits many times. Each has its own pluses and minuses. 

I have been through both the historic locks (Coral Princess) and the new locks (Caribbean Princess).  Not sure why anyone would want to spend the day watching tug boats.  My opinion:  the whole purpose for traveling through the locks is to do it in the Historic locks.  

51 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My opinion:  the whole purpose for traveling through the locks is to do it in the Historic locks.  

It will be historic when we go through the "new" locks, as we've been through the old ones five or six times.  In fact we should be on the Crown right now.

Edited by KreinKrunker
  • 4 weeks later...

We are going on 3-13-21 with some friends.  We were originally booked for 2020 but cancelled in 2019 due to not knowing if it would sail.  I am feeling hopeful for this trip. 

Diane