Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
FlaMariner

10% off and $250 OBC

Recommended Posts

We use the TA with the 90 day ticker and many HAL cruises have this new "special offer"......I'm asking our TA to see if we are eligible for this for our already booked cruise.  It's a risk but we are going to jump in.  I read that many were getting this offer directly from HAL for currently booked cruises but looks like the TA can offer on new bookings.....

 

"Book select categories and make full payment by July 31 to be eligible for an additional discount of up to 10%, plus receive an extra onboard credit of $250 per cabin."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another way for them to raise cash.  Get your money then cancel the cruise and the refund takes 90 days.  There is no cost to them as the 10% disappears when the cruise is cancelled.  They may still give you the $250 OBC on another cruise, not sure with out seeing the details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep, but this cruise is in October 2021......The risk is the insolvency of Carnival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Carnival will go under, I'm sure it will look different. Are those, " special offers" non refundable or refundable if things don't work out?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I chose the option to pre-pay $750 and get $250 OBC.  I was tempted to prepay everything for the 10% dsicount and the $250 OBC but did not want to take the risk.  Also, the price is likely to go down anyway by more than 10% and I will likely rebook depending on what perqs I can keep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we had already booked a October 2021 cruise using FCDs and FCC's (from two cancelled 2020 cruises).

 

I asked the TA to see if the 10% off and $250 OBC would work....HAL said yes to the additional $250 OBC but no to the 10% off.  We paid $1000 and paid off the cruise...gaining an additional $250 OBC.

 

Fingers crossed HAL stays afloat!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting. I has a cruise on hold on HAL website, then I saw this. I called the 90 day ticker place & they said yes the offer was good on the cruise I booked. Today someone called from HAL & told me they were my agent. I asked them about the offer & they said it ended last month, so I tolls them about the other place & she said they probably had old info - so who knows!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 8:58 PM, FlaMariner said:

So we had already booked a October 2021 cruise using FCDs and FCC's (from two cancelled 2020 cruises).

 

I asked the TA to see if the 10% off and $250 OBC would work....HAL said yes to the additional $250 OBC but no to the 10% off.  We paid $1000 and paid off the cruise...gaining an additional $250 OBC.

 

Fingers crossed HAL stays afloat!

 

They love your interest free loan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just did this the other day , I called HAL , asked about offer , agent plugged in code & it was 10 % on cruise , (not port fees or taxes) + OBC.

 

I disagree with OP who felt prices will drop , more social distance means fewer passengers and increased prices , we're April '21 and I'm not concerned yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 8:59 AM, bouhunter said:

They love your interest free loan.

 

So I "lent" HAL $1,000 for 12 months (July 2020 to July 2021....final payment date) and I got $250.  So that's a 25% interest rate HAL is paying me, right?   $250/$1,000=25%

 

At a 25% annual rate, that's a lot better return than I would expect from the $1,000 in my savings account or even a risky junk bond.

 

My risk is that HAL goes under.  I'm fine with that investment given a 25% return.

 

(Actually, I used my HAL credit card rewards so the $1,000 ended up being FREE...between the FCCs, FCDs, credit card reward, shareholder bonus, HAL OBC bonuses and TA OBC I really need to calculate what I am actually really "paying" for this cruise)

 

Again,  the risk is will HAL sail again.......and I'm fine with taking that chance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 5:26 PM, fox02554 said:

We just did this the other day , I called HAL , asked about offer , agent plugged in code & it was 10 % on cruise , (not port fees or taxes) + OBC.

 

I disagree with OP who felt prices will drop , more social distance means fewer passengers and increased prices , we're April '21 and I'm not concerned yet.

 

I'm the OP.

 

Not sure where I said the prices would drop?  

 

They usually do drop for this type of cruise though,  as it's a TA but we are in different times so who knows.....We did book it though and glad we did because the price increased $100 after the announcement of the 4 older, smaller ships being sold.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am booked on a 2022 cruise on Volendam.  I booked it with some cash and some fcc's I had.  I got a great price considering it is booked under the "have it all " promotion!   The price today has increased over $4000 per couple.  When I looked at the pricing details it said deposit $1750 due today 7/20/20. Balance 10 thousand, and some odd dollars due 07/25/20!!!   I had to look at it twice!   Then I got to thinking about it and called my TA to make sure my "balance due" date is still November 2021.  She said that is still the same, but cancellation date is October 2021.  I am a bit shocked to think HAL would expect passengers to pay in full for a cruise that is 18 months away!  Just my humble opinion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hflors said:

I am booked on a 2022 cruise on Volendam.  I booked it with some cash and some fcc's I had.  I got a great price considering it is booked under the "have it all " promotion!   The price today has increased over $4000 per couple.  When I looked at the pricing details it said deposit $1750 due today 7/20/20. Balance 10 thousand, and some odd dollars due 07/25/20!!!   I had to look at it twice!   Then I got to thinking about it and called my TA to make sure my "balance due" date is still November 2021.  She said that is still the same, but cancellation date is October 2021.  I am a bit shocked to think HAL would expect passengers to pay in full for a cruise that is 18 months away!  Just my humble opinion...

 

1 hour ago, Hflors said:

I am booked on a 2022 cruise on Volendam.  I booked it with some cash and some fcc's I had.  I got a great price considering it is booked under the "have it all " promotion!   The price today has increased over $4000 per couple.  When I looked at the pricing details it said deposit $1750 due today 7/20/20. Balance 10 thousand, and some odd dollars due 07/25/20!!!   I had to look at it twice!   Then I got to thinking about it and called my TA to make sure my "balance due" date is still November 2021.  She said that is still the same, but cancellation date is October 2021.  I am a bit shocked to think HAL would expect passengers to pay in full for a cruise that is 18 months away!  Just my humble opinion...

 

I am confused.  You said that your TA did acknowledge that your final payment date if November 2021.  Apparently the 7/20/20 date was simply an error.  So, no problem, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

 

I'm the OP.

 

Not sure where I said the prices would drop?  

 

They usually do drop for this type of cruise though,  as it's a TA but we are in different times so who knows.....We did book it though and glad we did because the price increased $100 after the announcement of the 4 older, smaller ships being sold.  

 

 

HAHA no you weren't the OP , you may be an OP , but not the one I was referring to 🙃😉🤣

 

 

" chrisbu 315 said " Also, the price is likely to go down anyway by more than 10% and I will likely rebook depending on what perqs I can keep."

Edited by fox02554

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fox02554 said:

HAHA no you weren't the OP , you may be an OP , but not the one I was referring to 🙃😉🤣

 

 

" chrisbu 315 said " Also, the price is likely to go down anyway by more than 10% and I will likely rebook depending on what perqs I can keep."

All good!.....never know what I may have said on this board!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

 

So I "lent" HAL $1,000 for 12 months (July 2020 to July 2021....final payment date) and I got $250.  So that's a 25% interest rate HAL is paying me, right?   $250/$1,000=25%

 

At a 25% annual rate, that's a lot better return than I would expect from the $1,000 in my savings account or even a risky junk bond.

 

My risk is that HAL goes under.  I'm fine with that investment given a 25% return.

 

(Actually, I used my HAL credit card rewards so the $1,000 ended up being FREE...between the FCCs, FCDs, credit card reward, shareholder bonus, HAL OBC bonuses and TA OBC I really need to calculate what I am actually really "paying" for this cruise)

 

Again,  the risk is will HAL sail again.......and I'm fine with taking that chance.

 

 

Sounds like a good deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're all in, I believe Carnival is the most secure with debt:assets compared to Royal and Norwegian, plus more Saudi money is likely to flow if things get tight.  I have no doubt that cruising prices are going to increase when the dust settles, especially with 4+ ships dropped from the fleet,  and higher operating expenses.  

 

We took the $1,000 gift card offer, for $200 OBC (applied to our 2022 NA sailing).  I paid our Koningsdam cruise off for 10% off, plus $250 OBC, and $750 towards our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, for $250 OBC.  When we booked Niew Statendam, we had to choose between our FCC or the downpayment offer, they don't combine, so we passed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...