How are you deciding if (and when) you may book a cruise again?

Guest ccpm

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I certainly hope that the news from Oxford will result in a successful outcome, but it is important to keep a sense of balance, and not only report the positive news stories. 

And now,  with my half empty glass in front of me, is anyone else slightly worried about the fact that the possible long term side effects of these new vaccines are not yet appreciated, given the speed with which the trials are progressing ?

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. 

I'm not so worried about the Oxford vaccine side effects as that was trialled as part of a previous vaccine. I'd be more worried about the newer vaccines and their side effects. 

13 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

This morning I have self-identified as the forum's equality, diversity and inclusion officer and this post is in an appalling affront to those with only one leg, let alone those with none at all. 

You have now been cancelled.

On the subject of which:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I certainly hope that the news from Oxford will result in a successful outcome, but it is important to keep a sense of balance, and not only report the positive news stories. 

And now,  with my half empty glass in front of me, is anyone else slightly worried about the fact that the possible long term side effects of these new vaccines are not yet appreciated, given the speed with which the trials are progressing ?

13 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. 

I'm not so worried about the Oxford vaccine side effects as that was trialled as part of a previous vaccine. I'd be more worried about the newer vaccines and their side effects. 

Damned if we don't (have a vaccine), damned if we do (have a vaccine).

On that note, I'm off to Wetherspoons.  Price reductions all round. 

Thanks Rishi & Tim 🍻

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Avil,

It's a nice night I am just going for a sliver! 

Pesky birds!

8 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Avril!!

Sorry! to much mulch!

You know very well I'm not referring to you mercury 😉. Best get back on topic before we both end up in the manure 😆

Avril 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Most of what I say is with a hint of sarcasm but I know that's easily misinterpreted via written text. 

Edited 33 minutes ago by cruisenewbie1976

Exactly. That's why I like to use emojis. It seems to help to get the meaning across without offending anyone. Sometimes 😊

Avril 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

It's a difficult habit to shake. Unfortunately it's a well known family trait 🤣

I can sympathise, I sometimes suffer the same affliction. Having any kind of sense of humour though is better than having no sense of humour at all.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Have they been trying to find a vaccine for the common cold? I'm not sure there's such a desperate need for it. I'm not even sure what the economic benefits would be either? A cold has never stopped me doing anything I'd normally do. 

That's probably why research has not overly bothered about the cold but have flu vaccines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bazrat said:

We booked another cruise I will not live in fear, we will take all the precautions that is required and enjoy ourselves 

So that you are not a lone voice , I'll agree with you. We are off on holiday on Monday and will take care. I wonder if advice will change once the experts recalculate the numbers. What 'expert 'decided that if you tested positive some time ago, recovered and then got run over by a bus, you were a covid death.

Edited by zap99
Spelling
  • Like 1

Well I've just survived a short break in the Lake District so things are looking up! As for cruises, expecting to cruise next July, September and October, but probably going to reschedule the Southampton to Sydney for 2022 as we don't want to do it in 2021 if there are restrictions and we think January too early to expect any sort of normality.

I've just been watching the Geiranger Norway, live webcam, and a Hurtigruten ship slowly sailed in, turned around and slowly sailed away again. I think I could cope with not getting off at ports if it were somewhere with lovely scenery to watch as we sailed by.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Can't wait to do our Scottish holiday in the car in September.  Really looking forward to it, so it will probably rain all the time 😞

Best bring a good insect repellent.

The Scottish midges are hungry devils around the Loch's.

The scenery is fantastic in Scotland and in Northumberland and Durham.

Don't forget the Scots driving law on alcohol levels are half ours.

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I've just been watching the Geiranger Norway, live webcam, and a Hurtigruten ship slowly sailed in, turned around and slowly sailed away again. I think I could cope with not getting off at ports if it were somewhere with lovely scenery to watch as we sailed by.

me too less stressful just sit there and watch the world pass you by and with a drink in my hand

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Can't wait to do our Scottish holiday in the car in September.  Really looking forward to it, so it will probably rain all the time 😞

Jean, we did an (almost) 3 week touring holiday of Scotland last September and both said that we enjoyed it as much as the very best cruises we have been on. We drove virtually the entire coast of Scotland with extended periods in the Oban/Fort William, Inverness, Stirling and Edinburgh areas. I could bore you for hours about all the places that we loved and we only had one day of appalling weather, which was unfortunately the day we were on Skye, but we had been there before thankfully. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Best bring a good insect repellent.

The Scottish midges are hungry devils around the Loch's.

The scenery is fantastic in Scotland and in Northumberland and Durham.

Don't forget the Scots driving law on alcohol levels are half ours.

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

Graham.

Funnily enough, we weren’t even aware of the midges. Perhaps we were just lucky? Good point about the drink driving limit as I was completely unaware of that before we went. Due to my wife needing a wet room and good disabled facilities (which very few ‘character’ hotels have) we stayed in inexpensive hotels with great accessible facilities and dined out in lots of fantastic restaurants, but I had to limit myself to one glass of wine. Our favourite was Tom Kitchin’s Michelin star restaurant in Leith, where we had the tasting menu - but not the paired wines!

Northumberland is on our list for a week at some stage, but we are struggling to find a suitable holiday cottage for a wheelchair user. My wife lived up there for a while as a child. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I would be happy with that and I have 2 Norway cruises booked for next summer, each with 2 long fjord sail ins to Geiranger and Olden, actually both the same itinery, however!. Next February I have to pay the balance for the 1st cruise. What worries me is P&O will take the money and then announce that the cruise is not going to where I expect it to go, specifically IN the fjords not only touching on coastal places such as Bergen, Stavanger etc etc.

• Like 1

I'd quite happily do a fjord cruise where you have long sail ins/outs, and maybe float about at anchor just taking in the scenery.  Drinks would be cheaper on board as well!

Years ago on Oriana there was a harpist playing in the Crows Nest whilst going past the wonderful scenery.

• Like 3

Both Olden and Geiranger are about 60 nautical miles from the sea so you should have 240nm of gentle fjord cruising.. I intend to take my kindle, binoculars, camera and guides to European birds and whales/dolphins. There are two sea days as well. A very relaxing cruise IF P&O deliver what is written in the brochure.

• Like 1