Restarting Cruise operations in Europe

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Duquephart, stick your wing tips in your ears for this...  A couple of years ago we took the Tattoo package where you have champagne and hors d’oeuvres on the ramparts of Edinburgh castle, followed by dinner in the castle gatehouse.  Best roast duck I’ve ever had!

Package included seats in the royal box, and a great cocktail party with the invited “dignitaries”  afterwards.  Met a bunch of interesting folk.  Open bar!

Package was pretty pricey, but worth every penny.

(Note - Suit and tie required for the royal box...)

So true Ragnar, the Tattoo packages are amazing and best seats in the house. When going to the Tattoo, we now try for the final performance, which is the 2nd show on the last night, with seats just below the Royal Box.

When in UK, we also book a day at Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow for us and my dad, in one of the hospitality suites. Great football, great grub and open bar. Similar to the Tattoo, suit and tie are mandatory.

We also had an amazing Michelin Star restaurant a few miles outside St. Andrews - the Peat Inn. It is well known by foodies throughout UK, with reservations highly sought after. Still remember when it opened with the original owners/chef back in the early to mid 70's. Over the years, we had many a great meal up there, probably a couple times a month. In the early days we were often the only customers. I was only about 16 when it opened and I wasn't into fancy food, so Chef David always had a Porterhouse handy. Located in a tiny village that has grown to possibly 20 houses, it is only about 7 miles from St Andrews, but you have to know where to look.

Lots of great food available in Scotland and the rest of UK, from Michelin Stars, to pub food, chippies and even curries, you just have to know where to look. 

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Can only assume you haven't spent much time in Scotland.

Only a couple of weeks in Edinburgh and The Highlands. Never thought of the food as "great grub" although much of it was quite good. When I think of "great grub" Italy and France come much more quickly to mind. 

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care, 
And dish them out their bill o' fare, 
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware 
That jaups in luggies; 
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer 
Gie her a haggis!

Will never forget our welcome dinner on a Tauck England/Scotland/Wales tour - they had a bag piper and some guy that same the "Ode to the Haggis".....lol.....quite memorable 😁

Many years ago the Burns Society of New York ordered in a great many cases of Haggis for one of it's gatherings. Customs officials refused to allow the shipment off the docks on the grounds that it's contents were "unfit for human consumption."

Our seafood is so good sadly most of it is usually exported to Spain and is what is served to you and you think is the fabulous Spanish food.  We were in a Michelin star restaurant in Spain and the chef, hearing Scots were in the house, came out to greet us and showed us the boxes the fish had travelled in from a place we knew well. 
Not good for many but a wee bonus for us, we can currently buy that beautiful seafood at great prices just now because the export trade isn’t happening. 

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Our seafood is so good sadly most of it is usually exported to Spain and is what is served to you and you think is the fabulous Spanish food.  We were in a Michelin star restaurant in Spain and the chef, hearing Scots were in the house, came out to greet us and showed us the boxes the fish had travelled in from a place we knew well. 
Not good for many but a wee bonus for us, we can currently buy that beautiful seafood at great prices just now because the export trade isn’t happening. 

That's one thing I enjoy when going back.

My dad has the fish lady arrive at the house in her van by 09:30 every Thursday. She purchases her fish from that night's catch that was landed in Pittenweem. The fish we purchase is < 12 hrs old.

6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

That's one thing I enjoy when going back.

My dad has the fish lady arrive at the house in her van by 09:30 every Thursday. She purchases her fish from that night's catch that was landed in Pittenweem. The fish we purchase is < 12 hrs old.

And here we still get our fish from a van from Pittenweem 🙂 Some traditions continue to this day

3 minutes ago, uktog said:

And here we still get our fish from a van from Pittenweem 🙂 Some traditions continue to this day

Most definitely, as they have had the same weekly delivery since they moved to a village a few miles from St Andrews back in 1973.