Brisbane Port vs Airport

11 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

8am Mic, I was going to do a few cruises from Bris-vegas as there mostly 7 days. As I will only have to take a week off work, for 3 ports, but they are getting back at 8:00 Am QLD time. ok that's 7:00am in NSW with our day-light saving... Was going to get 9:30am flight, so back in Newcastle at 9:30am. You don't lose time with Day-light saving on a 1 hour fligh. LOL & go straight to work start at 10:00. Work 20 mins from Newy Airport.

Takes 3 hours to get train from home to OPT. In Sydney. So cruises are going to be very viable from there..

Nice plan, it may come to fruition eventually.

20 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Agree Carole that was great planning 👍

IMHO Think it’s in a perfect position for plane access. One of the best and closest Cruise Terminals to an International Airport in Australia and possibly the World?
Now access to and from the city - that’s another discussion 🤔

Actually, it is only close to the airport if you can get access and go across the tarmacs, the terminals are around the other side.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Actually, it is only close to the airport if you can get access and go across the tarmacs, the terminals are around the other side.

Compared to Sydney’s OPT or White Bay - it’s very close, even going round it. 👍 

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I would like to see a small terminal to be put on the port side of the airport and then shuttles to take you across.

That could be easily done . Shuttle busses working in with airport facilities would be ideal . A private controlled road around the end of the runway for domestic/International terminals ,rail and bus links to the city and access to long term parking .

34 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Surely, in this day and age, we are advanced enough for sewerage works not to have odours??

They say that they have a magic powder which will remove offensive odours on days that ships are docked.

Given what it smells like when the wind is in the wrong direction, they will need a lot of it. 💩

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

They say that they have a magic powder which will remove offensive odours on days that ships are docked.

Given what it smells like when the wind is in the wrong direction, they will need a lot of it. 💩

There is a smell in here that will outlast religion. "Kenny the plumber"

3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

That could be easily done . Shuttle busses working in with airport facilities would be ideal . A private controlled road around the end of the runway for domestic/International terminals ,rail and bus links to the city and access to long term parking .

Agreed.

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

There is a smell in here that will outlast religion. "Kenny the plumber"

That would be powerful.

I have worked at some of these treatment plants and your nose actually shuts the smell out, this of course only works when the smell is constant, if it is coming and going, you get to smell it over and over.

4 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

That would be viable. It would also mean those on the cruise can connect to the airport travel to/from city e.g. Airtrain, which would improve viability for both i.e. you don't have marginal public transport operations only on cruise days, and improve utilisation on other days for existing links.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Surely, in this day and age, we are advanced enough for sewerage works not to have odours??

As I understand it, the problem lies with the source material 🙂 Our warehouse/office is within smelling distance of a treatment works, but only when the wind is from the north!

6 hours ago, Porky55 said:

As I understand it, the problem lies with the source material 🙂 Our warehouse/office is within smelling distance of a treatment works, but only when the wind is from the north!

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

My nose is up wind of a sewerage plant, sometimes I can still smell it, no matter how discreet I am.

Tis the Beagle blood in you Mic.😁

On 7/14/2020 at 5:16 PM, Hunter69 said:

Hey; Carnival are going to have a 8:00 dis-embarking time on Brisbane cruises.. They are usually going to leave Noumea at 1:30 on a Friday arvo. Have a sea day & get back to Brisbane around 7:30. with a 8:00 dis-embarkment time... Different to Sydney & overseas ports...

But will they be able to maintain an 8:00am disembarkation time with the “new measures for Covid 19” (or the “new normal”) being discussed? 

Edited by Porky55

17 hours ago, Porky55 said:

But will they be able to maintain an 8:00am disembarkation time with the “new measures for Covid 19” (or the “new normal”) being discussed? 

They will just make them run down the gangway, a la Ruby Princess.  Get rid of the problem. God help us.