Have any crew heard about "returning to service" date?

Cruiseboy06

Does anybody know a crew member? If so have they heard anything about new contracts for their new ship assignments? That speaks volumes if they have heard anything. I imagine most of the crew will be contacted by the end of July to return to cruising.. But the cruise lines are talking about health and safety now 90 days before "resuming to service" Like I said and I believe they will extend no sail order..

Edited by Cruiseboy06
grammar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Well, most of the cruise directors are working at a Margaritaville Resort in Texas through September so there’s that...

(and this was when they were still resuming in August)

that's quite interesting.  I did not know that..... All or most of CD were in Texas for training or what?

22 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

that's quite interesting.  I did not know that..... All or most of CD were in Texas for training or what?

An old CD has worked there for a while, I believe. I think the others just joined her until they return to sailing. They rent there for training... either to keep them busy or to keep a paycheck coming in.

A couple of weeks before the next batch of cruises were cancelled publicly, one stated on social media they would be working there through the end of September. The brand ambassador deleted all communication regarding their new career endeavors.

43 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

An old CD has worked there for a while, I believe. I think the others just joined her until they return to sailing. They rent there for training... either to keep them busy or to keep a paycheck coming in.

A couple of weeks before the next batch of cruises were cancelled publicly, one stated on social media they would be working there through the end of September. The brand ambassador deleted all communication regarding their new career endeavors.

were not*

Autocorrect.

Edited by xDisconnections

Cruiseboy, that is probably the best indicator.  So many here on the forum are friends with cruise employees and staff--what do they say about when their next contracts start?  Any under contract to start in 2020?  Although I imagine they are probably not permitted to say.

• Like 1

My crew member friend was supposed to go back in May. He does not have an expected start date for a new contract anymore. Many crew members finally just got home through a massive repatriation process. I doubt Carnival will be bringing them back any time soon. 

• Like 2

I have heard from several bartenders who have been home for awhile that said they have been told don’t expect to hear anything until January at the earliest. At least one of them stressed that didn’t mean cruising wouldn’t resume earlier, but that doesn’t make too much sense to me or might be wishful thinking on his part. Bottom line is who really knows anything these days, including the cruise line big dogs. 

• Like 5

Hi,

Our son inquired over the weekend, the first email was generic computer. Nope, not hiring at this time, check with Carnival web site. Yesterday he received an email from a person he knows, but nothing new to report. Everybody is waiting too. I just tell him the old squeaky wheel gets oiled advice. He still doesn’t see his job being opened up till 2021. It is what it is .....

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

Our son inquired over the weekend, the first email was generic computer. Nope, not hiring at this time, check with Carnival web site. Yesterday he received an email from a person he knows, but nothing new to report. Everybody is waiting too. I just tell him the old squeaky wheel gets oiled advice. He still doesn’t see his job being opened up till 2021. It is what it is .....

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

That's good info Bobbi. Thank you. I pray his wait will not be to long. And that's my favorite saying: "the squeaking wheel gets the oil"! 👍  Tell him to hang in there. Better times are a coming.

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have heard from several bartenders who have been home for awhile that said they have been told don’t expect to hear anything until January at the earliest. At least one of them stressed that didn’t mean cruising wouldn’t resume earlier, but that doesn’t make too much sense to me or might be wishful thinking on his part. Bottom line is who really knows anything these days, including the cruise line big dogs. 

Wow,  it sounds like as now they are going to cancel rest of cruises for 2020 or til  LATE 2020.  I asked same question on a Facebook Carnival page, and somebody said, that The Dream will be heading back to Texas with a full crew.   I don't know if that's true or not. I thought per CDC order they just need a skeletal crew for operating only..

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

That's good info Bobbi. Thank you. I pray his wait will not be to long. And that's my favorite saying: "the squeaking wheel gets the oil"! 👍  Tell him to hang in there. Better times are a coming.

He’s the one keeping my spirits up. Lol!   I miss cruising!!!

I see that one of the silver linings of this experience is his new appreciation for his cruise ship job. He’s told us that when he goes back, he’s going to get off the ship & explore the ports more. He works long hours as we know. So during the breaks he’ll gulp a meal and take a nap. Many times choosing not to go ashore. I think it’s the mindset of ... oh I’ll be back here next week or in two .... I’ll go visit this or that then .... I hope so. Oh to be young!!   Though Cozumel is his favorite Port .... gets his tattoos here. 

Our son is coming up 12 years sober in September. Mark decided to get into AA the day after his 17th biryhday.  We’re very proud of the man he’s become & continues to be. Right now, he’s on his regular Zoom Thursday Night Meeting with his friends. But, I’ll share your message afterwards.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Our son is coming up 12 years sober in September. Mark decided to get into AA the day after his 17th biryhday.  We’re very proud of the man he’s become & continues to be.

Wow! Thats amazing for a 17 year old...you must be so proud 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

He’s the one keeping my spirits up. Lol!   I miss cruising!!!

I see that one of the silver linings of this experience is his new appreciation for his cruise ship job. He’s told us that when he goes back, he’s going to get off the ship & explore the ports more. He works long hours as we know. So during the breaks he’ll gulp a meal and take a nap. Many times choosing not to go ashore. I think it’s the mindset of ... oh I’ll be back here next week or in two .... I’ll go visit this or that then .... I hope so. Oh to be young!!   Though Cozumel is his favorite Port .... gets his tattoos here. 

Our son is coming up 12 years sober in September. Mark decided to get into AA the day after his 17th biryhday.  We’re very proud of the man he’s become & continues to be. Right now, he’s on his regular Zoom Thursday Night Meeting with his friends. But, I’ll share your message afterwards.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

A hearty CONGRATULATIONS for his 12 year mark!!! That's quite an achievement!!  I know..The voice of an NA parent talking...something for you but ESPECIALLY for him to be proud of! I'll really look forward to your updates from him. 👍

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone, for sharing.

I have little to add.  I've heard that Costa and MSC have started the hiring process.  And AIDA plans to start a few cruises near Germany next month, so they'll need to procure staff soon if they haven't already.

Perhaps we will see crew begin to be brought back toward the end of 2020. As things stand now, I have a hard time seeing cruising from the US this year. Even Arnold Donald has said they have no idea when it will begin again. Perhaps early next year if a vaccine arrives, but I think the vaccine is the hope for cruising at this point. 

Then again, there are the AIDA cruises. Fingers crossed they go well. 

3 hours ago, stormy_weatherman said:

Perhaps we will see crew begin to be brought back toward the end of 2020. As things stand now, I have a hard time seeing cruising from the US this year. Even Arnold Donald has said they have no idea when it will begin again. Perhaps early next year if a vaccine arrives, but I think the vaccine is the hope for cruising at this point. 

Then again, there are the AIDA cruises. Fingers crossed they go well. 

I have a feeling AIDA will pull back on cruising............ ONE INFECTION

9 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

I have friends who are entertainers, one on Carnival one on RCL, neither have heard a thing about coming back yet.  

I'm not surprised with that..   Are they part of the shows in the main lounges?

6 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

I'm not surprised with that..   Are they part of the shows in the main lounges?

One is in the productions shows (her job title is 'Girl 2', so she's shooting for a primary position on RCL, which may happen sooner than she thought depending on what happens post-covid), the one on Carnival is a primary musician.

• Like 1

Although I’m not friends with any shipboard staff, I do follow several of the entertainment staff on social media. Several of them have gotten jobs on land. Don’t know if it’s just temporary until they are called back by Carnival, or if they have no intention on returning to ship life. It’s so sad 😞 

• Like 1