Still undecided on OBC/rebook vs refund?

We were in the first round of cancellations for our booking on Mar. 26. We have until Dec. 31 to make our decision. Is anyone else still holding out? I'd love to book, but am afraid of being in the first round of cruises allowed to go. I'd prefer us not to be guinea pigs! Also, I booked during the awesome Thanksgiving sale, so I am doubting I will be able to find the itinerary for that cheap in the future. What are others taking into account for their decision? 

We are also of your mindset of not wanting to be the guinea pigs or among the first sailings to go.  So far, we have moved our FCC to other bookings we already had previously.  We are not going to book any additional, new cruises currently.  

I was supposed to be on the Breeze on December 5th. As of now I'm going to take the refund.  I haven't received my email yet, but I don't want my money tied up with a rebooking....what if they go bankrupt?  I'm already booked on the Sunrise for December 2021 (so far just have the deposit put down), and that cruise is MUCH cheaper than the one that just got cancelled.  I'm going to hold off on making any payments on that one until this situation calms down and travel resumes normally.  

I haven’t rebooked my December 12 Mardi Gras I plan on waiting until the end of the year or beginning to see where everything is. All I have tied up is the deposit. I wouldn’t be able to sail anyway until July.

I took refund. Nothing to be gained using fcc toward my oct 4th paid off cruise.

One cruise left uncancelled. I may try to fit it in fall 2021, but imo prices are sky high. All my rcl bookings are at much better rates and solo get double loyalty pts and I get free drinks.

We were in the first round of cancellations for our booking on Mar. 26. We have until Dec. 31 to make our decision. Is anyone else still holding out? I'd love to book, but am afraid of being in the first round of cruises allowed to go. I'd prefer us not to be guinea pigs! Also, I booked during the awesome Thanksgiving sale, so I am doubting I will be able to find the itinerary for that cheap in the future. What are others taking into account for their decision? 

I Rebook and get the FCC. The ORC plus the FCC pays for the cruise. I’d pick a cruise no earlier than one sailing in November.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were initially in an OS on the Mardi Gras inaugural (August 2020). That got cancelled so we rebooked into an OS (November 2020) for $400 (due to the 25% discount given for the initial cancel). Now we are cancelled again and just booked for September 2021, in a Havana Cabana with nothing owed and $1200 in OBC ($600 for the promotion and $600 for what we had left in credits from the initial cancellation)

On 7/9/2020 at 9:16 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

I took the FCC/OBC and booked a Sept 2021 date out of NYC.  My final payment is 3 days after the first sailing out of NYC. 

If this one gets canceled...I'll take the refund. 

from what i gather, if you take the fcc , then book with that fcc you can only get fcc back and not a refund. 

Edited by seaman11
On 7/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

I took the FCC/OBC and booked a Sept 2021 date out of NYC.  My final payment is 3 days after the first sailing out of NYC. 

If this one gets canceled...I'll take the refund. 

I’m curious . I took the fcc / obc offer on my first cancelled sailing . If my 2nd is also cancelled , is Carnival offering a full refund including the fcc portion of the paid fare from prior cancellation? 

12 hours ago, UrbishN said:

I’m curious . I took the fcc / obc offer on my first cancelled sailing . If my 2nd is also cancelled , is Carnival offering a full refund including the fcc portion of the paid fare from prior cancellation? 

I don't know what they will do as a fact.  When my "Cruise #2" was canceled, I didn't take the refund.  My FCC (deposit) was only $100...and the OBC was $600.  So I had a lot to gain and a little to lose.

IF (really hoping) cruise #3 (Sept 2021) ends up canceled....I'll ask for the cash back and see what happens.

55 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I don't know what they will do as a fact.  When my "Cruise #2" was canceled, I didn't take the refund.  My FCC (deposit) was only $100...and the OBC was $600.  So I had a lot to gain and a little to lose.

IF (really hoping) cruise #3 (Sept 2021) ends up canceled....I'll ask for the cash back and see what happens.

On my last cancelled cruise , they converted the would be penalty of $1800 into the fcc and transferred the remaining funds to the new booking . Just wondering if they cancel again and I have the option of a 100 % refund , if that amount would also be included ?? 

2 minutes ago, UrbishN said:

On my last cancelled cruise , they converted the would be penalty of $1800 into the fcc and transferred the remaining funds to the new booking . Just wondering if they cancel again and I have the option of a 100 % refund , if that amount would also be included ?? 

This is something that only Carnival will know if/when they cancel.

That's a lot of money to put in "the Carnival bank" when nobody knows what's gonna happen.

When is your cruise? 

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

This is something that only Carnival will know if/when they cancel.

That's a lot of money to put in "the Carnival bank" when nobody knows what's gonna happen.

When is your cruise? 

May 2021 I’m not worried . I have 3rd party insurance that also covers financial default . But I seriously doubt carnival is going bankrupt 

I just rescheduled my Nov 2020 cruise to December, 2021 (it wasn't canceled YET but I wasn't willing to risk DH's health by going too soon)... I booked the original itinerary, but on the Dream instead of the Freedom- no penalty to reschedule and it was about $200 pp cheaper (I did have to give up my aft wrap cabin though- none available when we wanted to cruise).

The only thing I lost out was the $25 pp OBC I got when I originally booked... I mentioned to the Carnival rep that the only thing I was risking by moving my cruise now was the $600 OBC if THEY canceled my Nov 2020 cruise... she corrected me and said- nope... if we cancel your original cruise, you're entitled to the OBC as well! You just need to call us back to get it added!

So I'm pretty happy about the whole situation- costs me nothing more (in fact cheaper) and we'll get to cruise when I'm much more comfortable about the whole COVID situation!

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

I just rescheduled my Nov 2020 cruise to December, 2021 (it wasn't canceled YET but I wasn't willing to risk DH's health by going too soon)... I booked the original itinerary, but on the Dream instead of the Freedom- no penalty to reschedule and it was about $200 pp cheaper (I did have to give up my aft wrap cabin though- none available when we wanted to cruise).

The only thing I lost out was the $25 pp OBC I got when I originally booked... I mentioned to the Carnival rep that the only thing I was risking by moving my cruise now was the $600 OBC if THEY canceled my Nov 2020 cruise... she corrected me and said- nope... if we cancel your original cruise, you're entitled to the OBC as well! You just need to call us back to get it added!

So I'm pretty happy about the whole situation- costs me nothing more (in fact cheaper) and we'll get to cruise when I'm much more comfortable about the whole COVID situation!

WTG Shaded Lady! Congrats!  How are you all liking Florida, now that you all have moved from God's Country? :classic_laugh:

Just kidding! I hope you are having a good time there.

14 hours ago, Joe817 said:

WTG Shaded Lady! Congrats!  How are you all liking Florida, now that you all have moved from God's Country? :classic_laugh:

Just kidding! I hope you are having a good time there.

Thanks Joe! I'm loving living in Florida... gated community, pool & golf course, only 2 reported cases of COVID in 4 months... the only thing I miss about Texas is the grandboy, and he's already made lots of plans to come visit grandma and grandpa! I'm definitely not missing the heat!

The funny thing is, I moved to Cruising Central, where you can't swing a cat without hitting a cruise port, but when I rescheduled this one, I ended up sailing out of Galveston again! But by doing this, we can spend Christmas with the family in Austin, leaving the dogs with them to petsit while we're gone and head out the day after Christmas for our cruise!

3 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

Thanks Joe! I'm loving living in Florida... gated community, pool & golf course, only 2 reported cases of COVID in 4 months... the only thing I miss about Texas is the grandboy, and he's already made lots of plans to come visit grandma and grandpa! I'm definitely not missing the heat!

The funny thing is, I moved to Cruising Central, where you can't swing a cat without hitting a cruise port, but when I rescheduled this one, I ended up sailing out of Galveston again! But by doing this, we can spend Christmas with the family in Austin, leaving the dogs with them to petsit while we're gone and head out the day after Christmas for our cruise!

Sounds perfect! Christmas with the family, leaving your pets with them, and THEN going on a cruise! Can't get much better than that! 👍

My friends and I are leaning toward re-booking but have not committed to a date/itinerary yet.  I am annoyed at having to come out of pocket for another deposit which essentially requires that we spend more on the replacement cruise than we did on the cancelled one which we had paid in full.  

I understand that the OBC will offset some of that and if I play the ES game correctly that may work in my favor too.  I also understand  that this is a way for Carnival to still have some cash coming in but that does not reduce my annoyance which will fade away once we are on board and enjoying a drink.  In the meantime, I will continue to plague myself with the "Plan my Cruise" feature on the website while I chew on the financial component.