Jump to content

Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Sorry I am correcting myself here.  I meant to say China and India.  Combined they are 2.8 Billion people out of the world's 7.8 Billion people.  And like China, India has significant vaccine manufacturing capacity and is a partner of AZ for that vaccine.  Both countries committed to vaccinate their own populations. 

2.8 billion out of the 6.8 billion outside of the rich countries still leaves 4 billion without the resources of India and China.  As I mentioned above even with the manufacturing capability that India (1%) and China (3%) has their rate of vaccination indicates that it will be a long time before their populations can be considered to be fully vaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nocl said:

Von and John - My understanding from some relatives in Alaska, that they did cover many of the remote villages, but they were done in pretty much vaccinate the entire village at one time.  If someone was not there for the vaccination event, they would have gotten missed and for many of those villages they were one time events. Given priority because of being very high risk.  Good acceptance rate by the population.  Fortunately for many of those villages few are out this time of year.  But it would be handy to have some doses there for any that were missed.

 

How are they doing things in Talkeetna? Are they doing the vaccines at Sunshine? Steady supply or on specific days?

Correction - just chatted with a friend of mine in Alaska Medicaid.  He told me that the plan was 3 visits to the remote villages  1. initial vaccinations  2. second shots and first shots for anyone not present during the first visits, 3. second shots for those that got first shots during the second visit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nocl said:

2.8 billion out of the 6.8 billion outside of the rich countries still leaves 4 billion without the resources of India and China.  As I mentioned above even with the manufacturing capability that India (1%) and China (3%) has their rate of vaccination indicates that it will be a long time before their populations can be considered to be fully vaccinated.

Yes I certainly agree with you on the point that it will take a long time to get the majority of the world's population vaccinated outside of Europe and North America, Japan.  But I have been trying to make the point that it is not completely hopeless with efforts/vaccines from China, Russia, India and other places like Cuba too.  And many other places can afford vaccines like Aus, NZ, S.Korea, Singapore, Israel, Saudi Arabia/ middle east region, and a good portion of South America.  Throw in the major efforts of the WHO, COVAX, and other similar programs and private foundations (like Gates).  There is a very long way to go and very poor nations will need a lot of external resources and attention.  But the framework is created.  I am not pessimistic at all about this worldwide effort.  Yes it will take a few years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I certainly agree with you on the point that it will take a long time to get the majority of the world's population vaccinated outside of Europe and North America, Japan.  But I have been trying to make the point that it is not completely hopeless with efforts/vaccines from China, Russia, India and other places like Cuba too.  And many other places can afford vaccines like Aus, NZ, S.Korea, Singapore, Israel, Saudi Arabia/ middle east region, and a good portion of South America.  Throw in the major efforts of the WHO, COVAX, and other similar programs and private foundations (like Gates).  There is a very long way to go and very poor nations will need a lot of external resources and attention.  But the framework is created.  I am not pessimistic at all about this worldwide effort.  Yes it will take a few years.

A question and a comment or two.

 

There are some 2.5B children.  Will there be an attempt to vaccinate them?  If so how far into the future?

 

As to full vaccination - seems that countries such as China and Russia where choice is not a word used often will be first.

 

For poorer countries the logistics of getting the people and vaccine seem to be the big task.  As production ramps up into the billions of doses the costs drop significantly and wealthier countries have already promised large sums for vaccines and syringes.  Years ago spent time in Paraguay.  When there was an outbreak of some type of jungle fever the military simply mobilized and the entire country was vaccinated in a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I certainly agree with you on the point that it will take a long time to get the majority of the world's population vaccinated outside of Europe and North America, Japan.  But I have been trying to make the point that it is not completely hopeless with efforts/vaccines from China, Russia, India and other places like Cuba too.  And many other places can afford vaccines like Aus, NZ, S.Korea, Singapore, Israel, Saudi Arabia/ middle east region, and a good portion of South America.  Throw in the major efforts of the WHO, COVAX, and other similar programs and private foundations (like Gates).  There is a very long way to go and very poor nations will need a lot of external resources and attention.  But the framework is created.  I am not pessimistic at all about this worldwide effort.  Yes it will take a few years.

Its not hopeless, but just reminding folks that this is a marathon, not a sprint, and we are still very early in the process.  Completing the process is the US is a necessary but not sufficient condition for success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

 

As to full vaccination - seems that countries such as China and Russia where choice is not a word used often will be first.

 

 

 

Maybe not...

Interesting story...

Russia is trying to lure people to get their vaccine by offering free ice cream:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-30/as-others-rush-to-vaccinate-moscow-lures-takers-with-ice-cream?sref=2xIinRXp

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

 

Maybe not...

Interesting story...

Russia is trying to lure people to get their vaccine by offering free ice cream:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-30/as-others-rush-to-vaccinate-moscow-lures-takers-with-ice-cream?sref=2xIinRXp

 

 

Isn't it still winter in Russia, might get kids, but I don't know who else?  Might have better luck with a shot of vodka, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick detour from technical discussions about developing vaccines...

 

As I was wrapping an appointment on Monday, I made a comment about "now if I can only figure out how the vaccines are working around here". The reply from the nurse was "do you want to get the vaccine?".

 

Turns out, they had just been allowed to start directly scheduling their patients (we're all in the high risk categories), and the first appointments were on Wednesday. Those were filled by the time she got to the computer, but they had 10:00 this morning...

 

First dose Pfizer this morning. One of the few bright spots in what's been over 12 months of medical hades. Shocked and amazed. So far no real effects. The arm was heavy for part of the day, but no redness or swelling, no headache, etc. 

 

Sometimes things just work when you least expect it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Isn't it still winter in Russia, might get kids, but I don't know who else?  Might have better luck with a shot of vodka, lol.

 

I can't remember. It seems like they all but gave vodka away at one time, leading to some pretty significant alcoholism issues. The ice cream might be worth more than vodka...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, markeb said:

Quick detour from technical discussions about developing vaccines...

 

As I was wrapping an appointment on Monday, I made a comment about "now if I can only figure out how the vaccines are working around here". The reply from the nurse was "do you want to get the vaccine?".

 

Turns out, they had just been allowed to start directly scheduling their patients (we're all in the high risk categories), and the first appointments were on Wednesday. Those were filled by the time she got to the computer, but they had 10:00 this morning...

 

First dose Pfizer this morning. One of the few bright spots in what's been over 12 months of medical hades. Shocked and amazed. So far no real effects. The arm was heavy for part of the day, but no redness or swelling, no headache, etc. 

 

Sometimes things just work when you least expect it.

Congratulations

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

My personal opinion is the the J&J vaccine will get the same treatment and recommendations as the two mRNA vaccines.  Having a 1-shot vaccine with easier storage and distribution is a big win.  There are quite a few people on this board who have admitted to being vaccinated already.  Perhaps some have rose-colored vaccine glasses?  But the large majority of the US vaccine-willing population is still playing a frustrating waiting game.  The J&J vaccine will help the bottleneck almost immediately.  

Our state health officer asked people today in a press conference to not “shop” vaccines or try to wait for a Vaccine because it has a slightly higher efficacy, but to take the shots available when you get an appointment. Because they all basically work the same.

They must anticipate a hard sell for J and J, likely because of all the publicity about the varying efficacy. His remarks also led me to believe it will be a moot point until about May, they expect to get a little J and J, then none for awhile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nocl said:

However even with producing their own vaccines they have vaccinated very small percentages of their population (less than 3%). Another large country with production capability is India (1%). Both China and Russia started before the US approval of Pfizer.  At the rate they are vaccinating it will take quite a while for them to even get to a substantial percentage of their populations.

I read a very interesting article about a month ago about India in particular. India had a big surge, then the virus went way way down and hospitalization and death didn’t really spike again. The authors discussed many different possible explanations for why there was never a second wave, but one of the most striking was that only 5% of Indians are over age 65. That and the low rate of obesity and associated conditions makes me think they can afford to vaccinate slower. One of the public health professionals interviewed said half jokingly it wasn’t because Indians liked following rules, her countrymen were notorious non-rule followers - just look at the traffic!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, markeb said:

Quick detour from technical discussions about developing vaccines...

 

As I was wrapping an appointment on Monday, I made a comment about "now if I can only figure out how the vaccines are working around here". The reply from the nurse was "do you want to get the vaccine?".

 

Turns out, they had just been allowed to start directly scheduling their patients (we're all in the high risk categories), and the first appointments were on Wednesday. Those were filled by the time she got to the computer, but they had 10:00 this morning...

 

First dose Pfizer this morning. One of the few bright spots in what's been over 12 months of medical hades. Shocked and amazed. So far no real effects. The arm was heavy for part of the day, but no redness or swelling, no headache, etc. 

 

Sometimes things just work when you least expect it.

In MA, they expanded the website today and vaccine availability.  It opened at 9am and I was on-line waiting.  When I logged on it told me I had a 390 minute wait time, a few minutes it said 13 minues, a few minutes later it said 410 minutes, I'm still waiting.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, markeb said:

Quick detour from technical discussions about developing vaccines...

 

As I was wrapping an appointment on Monday, I made a comment about "now if I can only figure out how the vaccines are working around here". The reply from the nurse was "do you want to get the vaccine?".

 

Turns out, they had just been allowed to start directly scheduling their patients (we're all in the high risk categories), and the first appointments were on Wednesday. Those were filled by the time she got to the computer, but they had 10:00 this morning...

 

First dose Pfizer this morning. One of the few bright spots in what's been over 12 months of medical hades. Shocked and amazed. So far no real effects. The arm was heavy for part of the day, but no redness or swelling, no headache, etc. 

 

Sometimes things just work when you least expect it.

Good for you! Stay well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cangelmd said:

I read a very interesting article about a month ago about India in particular. India had a big surge, then the virus went way way down and hospitalization and death didn’t really spike again. The authors discussed many different possible explanations for why there was never a second wave, but one of the most striking was that only 5% of Indians are over age 65. That and the low rate of obesity and associated conditions makes me think they can afford to vaccinate slower. One of the public health professionals interviewed said half jokingly it wasn’t because Indians liked following rules, her countrymen were notorious non-rule followers - just look at the traffic!

Makes it a bit of a problem for people visiting India or for that matter Indians traveling abroad if their vaccination rates are low.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

To the Alaska people here, just wondering if anyone knows this answer (just pure curiosity on my end - probably more so now because I am going for my second shot on Saturday so I'm interested in reading about cases after vaccination LOL).

 

Asking - the Alaskan Governor has been diagnosed, and I am wondering if he had already been vaccinated back in December? He said he was going to be:

 

December 15

"Dunleavy said he expects to get the vaccination in roughly two weeks, because he recently got a flu shot.

 

“I’m doing that because I don’t want to necessarily occupy a hospital bed if I don’t need to,” he said. “Others may not want to, and I respect that.”

 

When asked if he believes that the vaccinations are safe and effective, Dunleavy said he wouldn’t be getting one if he didn’t. He said the vaccinations will be a “game changer” in the state".

 

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/12/16/gov-dunleavy-will-get-covid-19-vaccine-but-stops-short-of-recommending-it-for-alaskans/

 

February 24

Governor tests positive for COVID-19.

"Alaska Gov. Mike Dunleavy has tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Wednesday announcement from the governor's office. Dunleavy is experiencing mild symptoms and is staying at home.

 

“He will continue to fulfill his duties by teleworking from home and receive additional tests until it is certain he is free of the virus,” read a prepared statement from the governor’s office.

 

The governor was exposed Saturday to an individual who later tested positive for the virus. He was feeling well and tested negative for COVID-19 on Sunday morning but quarantined during his infectious period, the governor's office stated. He had been feeling well until Tuesday night, and this morning he tested again, testing positive for the SARS-CoV-2 infection".

 

http://www.newsminer.com/alerts/first-case-of-the-brazilian-variant-detected-in-alaska-governor-tests-positive-for-covid-19/article_406185e4-76ef-11eb-bb28-471c36c3ef1a.html


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nocl said:

Makes it a bit of a problem for people visiting India or for that matter Indians traveling abroad if their vaccination rates are low.

Certainly, and even though people aren’t dying, you have to assume virus is circulating 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Our state health officer asked people today in a press conference to not “shop” vaccines or try to wait for a Vaccine because it has a slightly higher efficacy, but to take the shots available when you get an appointment. Because they all basically work the same.

They must anticipate a hard sell for J and J, likely because of all the publicity about the varying efficacy. His remarks also led me to believe it will be a moot point until about May, they expect to get a little J and J, then none for awhile.

I don't think it will be a hard sell for the J&J vaccine.  Only half  our country really want the vaccine ASAP.  You have your anti-vaxxers.  You have people who want a little history of the possible long-term effects of a new vaccine, but they are not anti-vaxxers.  You have people who are hesitant about taking a vaccine that is so completely new (the mRNA vaccines) that they think you are nuts to take it, but they are not anti-vaxxers.  You have a very large group, mostly the young, who don't think they need it and who believe they will survive it if they do get it.  However, if they make it a vaccine requirement for travel and work, then most of these people in these 4 groups except for most of the first group will eventually get the vaccine.  The J&J vaccine will be the most likely choice as it will be the most convenient to get and take.  Myself, I fall into group 2.  I am not afraid of getting sick with covid-19 as long as I don't advance to the stage where I have to be hospitalized.  For me any of these vaccines would work.  J&J would be the most convenient and doesn't use the mRNA process.  I may consider Novavax if it gets approved.  Anyway, if you want all of these people to get vaccinated now, wouldn't the lines be even longer?  Worry about it in a few months time when vaccine supply has caught up with demand.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

 

To the Alaska people here, just wondering if anyone knows this answer (just pure curiosity on my end - probably more so now because I am going for my second shot on Saturday so I'm interested in reading about cases after vaccination LOL).

 

Asking - the Alaskan Governor has been diagnosed, and I am wondering if he had already been vaccinated back in December? He said he was going to be:

 

December 15

"Dunleavy said he expects to get the vaccination in roughly two weeks, because he recently got a flu shot.

 

“I’m doing that because I don’t want to necessarily occupy a hospital bed if I don’t need to,” he said. “Others may not want to, and I respect that.”

 

When asked if he believes that the vaccinations are safe and effective, Dunleavy said he wouldn’t be getting one if he didn’t. He said the vaccinations will be a “game changer” in the state".

 

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/12/16/gov-dunleavy-will-get-covid-19-vaccine-but-stops-short-of-recommending-it-for-alaskans/

 

February 24

Governor tests positive for COVID-19.

"Alaska Gov. Mike Dunleavy has tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Wednesday announcement from the governor's office. Dunleavy is experiencing mild symptoms and is staying at home.

 

“He will continue to fulfill his duties by teleworking from home and receive additional tests until it is certain he is free of the virus,” read a prepared statement from the governor’s office.

 

The governor was exposed Saturday to an individual who later tested positive for the virus. He was feeling well and tested negative for COVID-19 on Sunday morning but quarantined during his infectious period, the governor's office stated. He had been feeling well until Tuesday night, and this morning he tested again, testing positive for the SARS-CoV-2 infection".

 

http://www.newsminer.com/alerts/first-case-of-the-brazilian-variant-detected-in-alaska-governor-tests-positive-for-covid-19/article_406185e4-76ef-11eb-bb28-471c36c3ef1a.html


 

 

To the best of my recollection the latest info was he would get the vaccine when he was eligible, by the distribution plan - he wasn't going to jump ahead of others.
 

Edited by Von & John
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Our state health officer asked people today in a press conference to not “shop” vaccines or try to wait for a Vaccine because it has a slightly higher efficacy, but to take the shots available when you get an appointment. Because they all basically work the same.

They must anticipate a hard sell for J and J, likely because of all the publicity about the varying efficacy. His remarks also led me to believe it will be a moot point until about May, they expect to get a little J and J, then none for awhile.

 

I know five people who would prefer the J&J because it is single dose. They will take what they can get though. Since they are younger the timing might work for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Our state health officer asked people today in a press conference to not “shop” vaccines or try to wait for a Vaccine because it has a slightly higher efficacy, but to take the shots available when you get an appointment. Because they all basically work the same.

They must anticipate a hard sell for J and J, likely because of all the publicity about the varying efficacy. His remarks also led me to believe it will be a moot point until about May, they expect to get a little J and J, then none for awhile.

To be honest it probably does not matter that much because it 6 to 12 months it will probably be time for a booster.  Maybe as early as 6 months because of variants, not because the initial shots will wear off that soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

I know five people who would prefer the J&J because it is single dose. They will take what they can get though. Since they are younger the timing might work for them.

It may also be preferable for someone concerned about reactions to the shot.  The two shot vaccines tend to have worse side effects with the second shot (if someone is going to get reaction).  J&J has reported fewer reactions over all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, nocl said:

It may also be preferable for someone concerned about reactions to the shot.  The two shot vaccines tend to have worse side effects with the second shot (if someone is going to get reaction).  J&J has reported fewer reactions over all.


Some people are needle adverse. I had my second dose of Pfizer about 3 hours ago and my arm is sore again like it was after the first dose. This time I am feeling a little fatigue and have decided to lay down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, markeb said:

Quick detour from technical discussions about developing vaccines...

 

As I was wrapping an appointment on Monday, I made a comment about "now if I can only figure out how the vaccines are working around here". The reply from the nurse was "do you want to get the vaccine?".

 

Turns out, they had just been allowed to start directly scheduling their patients (we're all in the high risk categories), and the first appointments were on Wednesday. Those were filled by the time she got to the computer, but they had 10:00 this morning...

 

First dose Pfizer this morning. One of the few bright spots in what's been over 12 months of medical hades. Shocked and amazed. So far no real effects. The arm was heavy for part of the day, but no redness or swelling, no headache, etc. 

 

Sometimes things just work when you least expect it.

 

congrats!  what a great surprise for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, markeb said:

Quick detour from technical discussions about developing vaccines...

 

As I was wrapping an appointment on Monday, I made a comment about "now if I can only figure out how the vaccines are working around here". The reply from the nurse was "do you want to get the vaccine?".

 

Turns out, they had just been allowed to start directly scheduling their patients (we're all in the high risk categories), and the first appointments were on Wednesday. Those were filled by the time she got to the computer, but they had 10:00 this morning...

 

First dose Pfizer this morning. One of the few bright spots in what's been over 12 months of medical hades. Shocked and amazed. So far no real effects. The arm was heavy for part of the day, but no redness or swelling, no headache, etc. 

 

Sometimes things just work when you least expect it.

Where did you get your shot?  We were told that physician/hospital practices would no longer be able to give the vaccine.  And the Virginia registration system has been a complete failure.  We are very frustrated.  1B, both of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...