Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

1 minute ago, nocl said:

Unfortunately I just saw a report that used the term cherry picking of the data to get better efficacy numbers. Not a good sign.

I think at this stage its not going to be clear until the FDA does its analysis.  Where as some other country regulatory authorities accept the analysis generated by the companies, the FDA always goes back to all of the raw data, and does its own analysis.  That is why there is the delay between the EUA filing and the meeting of the Vaccines Advisory Board. It does not depend upon the company provided analysis.  That should answer any questions that exist.

Yes I saw the cherry picking term which seems to come from media articles.  You are right.  The FDA will be the only entity that counts.  We will know soon enough.

I volunteered again yesterday at the mass vaccination clinic here in Oregon, this time running out the syringes to the vaccinators. I also had a big stock of CDC cards and stickers with the lot numbers I'd hand out. The lot number stickers were in big sheets and I was cutting them into strips and passing them around.  There is no way those cards or even the stickers can be used for anything secure. If any countries or entities accept them, it really is theater and they don't really care to check.  However, at least at this site, you are registered in the health system's site, so I can log in and pull off a more complete record.

But what do I know, I just read a blog entry from "The Points Guy" about entering Iceland and they did only take his CDC card with no additional test or quarantine.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/what-...jTkWlaendvhCaM6AelcSZEtyp1ptLcLHbtwbBCKdfjZF8

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, the CLIA has just asked the CDC to allow a phased-in resumption of sailings from US ports in early July. It will be interesting to see how CDC responds. 

Cruise lines urge CDC to allow sailings from U.S. ports to resume in early July (cnbc.com)

Yet it doesn't seem that the CLIA is willing to take any of the steps CDC asked of them. There no indication of any compromise, just a demand that the CDC lets them restart in July. Of course, media reporting might not have or include all of the relevant details.

Just now, Fouremco said:

Yet it doesn't seem that the CLIA is willing to take any of the steps CDC asked of them. There no indication of any compromise, just a demand that the CDC lets them restart in July. Of course, media reporting might not have or include all of the relevant details.

You will notice I have since deleted my statement after the CDC told the CLIA "nope" a few minutes ago. 

Cruise Stocks Retreat After CDC Dashes Bid for Swift Restart (yahoo.com)

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You will notice I have since deleted my statement after the CDC told the CLIA "nope" a few minutes ago. 

Cruise Stocks Retreat After CDC Dashes Bid for Swift Restart (yahoo.com)

Too bad, as it helped provide a more complete picture of the interactions between the two organizations.

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Too bad, as it helped provide a more complete picture of the interactions between the two organizations.

Well then, here's what I deleted with the follow-up CDC response. 

OK, the CLIA has just asked the CDC to allow a phased-in resumption of sailings from US ports in early July. 

Cruise lines urge CDC to allow sailings from U.S. ports to resume in early July (cnbc.com)

But then a few hours later, CDC said nope.

U.S. CDC Order Limiting Cruises to Remain Effective Until Nov. 1: CNBC | Top News | US News

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, the CLIA has just asked the CDC to allow a phased-in resumption of sailings from US ports in early July. 

U.S. CDC Order Limiting Cruises to Remain Effective Until Nov. 1: CNBC | Top News | US News

Have the cruise lines submitted any proposed safety protocols to the CDC?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Have the cruise lines submitted any proposed safety protocols to the CDC?

I don't know. I'm just sitting over here in the peanut gallery. But I will say this, we're going to be changing our summer cruise on the Edge over to the Millennium as it now has a much better chance of sailing in July. We have the Pfizer vaccine flowing through our veins and have no issues wearing a mask. If it means flying to St Maarten, so be it. We just want to go cruising. 🙃

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

And once again, the CDC demonstrates its incompetence. 

Watch for the cruise lines to announce further sailings from non-US ports.  

• Like 1

OK, this gives me a little glimmer of hope, but time will tell as to how much. Basically, from my rose colored glasses they're saying CDC (and their coordinating agencies) have the ball and they're working on a way to return to passenger cruising. CDC is not currently waiting for anything from the cruise lines.

According to the CDC, the CSO will remain in effect until Nov. 1, 2021, as the agency works on a way to return to passenger cruising in a phased approach to mitigate the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Details on the next phase of the CSO are under interagency review, according to a CDC statement.

CDC Says It Won't Drop Conditional Sail Order - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, this gives me a little glimmer of hope, but time will tell as to how much. Basically, from my rose colored glasses they're saying CDC (and their coordinating agencies) have the ball and they're working on a way to return to passenger cruising. CDC is not currently waiting for anything from the cruise lines.

According to the CDC, the CSO will remain in effect until Nov. 1, 2021, as the agency works on a way to return to passenger cruising in a phased approach to mitigate the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Details on the next phase of the CSO are under interagency review, according to a CDC statement.

CDC Says It Won't Drop Conditional Sail Order - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

I can't find any source that actually quotes whatever the CDC did say. 

10 minutes ago, D C said:

I can't find any source that actually quotes whatever the CDC did say. 

Starting to think this is a bunch of nothing. The only direct quote I can find is this:

"On October 30, 2020, CDC issued Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO) that remains in effect until November 1, 2021," the CDC told TradeWinds in an email on Wednesday. 

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/cdc-denies-cruise-sectors-request-to-lift-us-sailing-restrictions-by-july/2-1-986849

So this publication asked, CDC responded with a canned answer....now it's reignited all of these stories. Is there an actual CDC statement or quote from a person somewhere??? Until then..... 

14 minutes ago, markeb said:

Since Rick is falling behind, a polite reminder this is the vaccine thread. This topic is running in probably two other threads...

Just saying...

😀

Thanks for the reminder, but commenting on CDC no sail order, pretty well ties in with vaccines

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Thanks for the reminder, but commenting on CDC no sail order, pretty well ties in with vaccines

It’s not out of the topic, but we’ve both seen these can go crazy and tangental. Not so far, but...

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

It’s not out of the topic, but we’ve both seen these can go crazy and tangental. Not so far, but...

NOT moi!!!!  He said as he slowly sipped his Angels Envy over ice...

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Of course the Cruise lines do not mention that the only cruises that they normally do from the US between June and September are to Alaska.  Which could not happen this year.  there are very few cruises in the Caribbean in the summer (for most lines none due to the temperature, Caribbean off season).   It is only when the ships come off the Alaska routes and the ships return from Europe in September and October that the Caribbean, Mexico and New England cruises take place.

The the real impact for this summer is Alaska and Europe for which the issue is not CDC (especially Europe).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Like I said, it was just a small glimmer of hope based on what was said in the article. But as we all know, actions speak louder than words. So for now all we can do is sit back and hope the vaccines keep flowing and the curve starts going down again.

Hopefully so, unfortunately it seems that many people are trying to extend the pandemic as long as possible, not unlike what happened in 1918 when people got tired of the restrictions, thought the outbreak was over, only to get hit by two more waves.

• Like 1