Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Some of the posters on this thread are actually medical and vaccine experts. And avid cruisers.  That is a valuable combination and a unique perspective that some value. It has been that way since the beginning.  Now over 4800 posts. 

...and.... I'm one of the many here who REALLY APPRECIATES their input, advice, experience and knowledge.  So thank you again @TeeRick and others for sharing your knowledge and time. 

• Like 6

I just came across this yesterday.... Do you remember when the head of CDC said she had a feeling of doom.. and then the very next day talked about data saying that people who got vaccinated were very unlikely to get or pass on covid... and then some other CDC spokesperson essentially said she misspoke? Well this popped up from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Expert Insights (yes it does say expert).... so if we are to follow the science... I want to follow this  science.   https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/new-data-on-covid-19-transmission-by-vaccinated-individuals.html

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

I understand and accept the reasoning but  the decision was for the US. I had the Moderna,  but if my choice was J & J or nothing..I'd pass and continue to hibernate for another year.

As  " dreaminofcruisin"  mentioned I  also  agree it would  be good for those who are confined or unable to go twice for the jab..but opening it up to all seems very broad, (I have no training or background in drug risks but would be concerned)

Sad to to read that so many have  to go around mask rules.  We follow them but our locations seem to have reasonable rules that most follow,

hcat- unfortunately the J&J vaccine image has been tainted for much of the population.  The risk is minimal to non-existent for most of the adult population.  And very very low in women 18-50.  The risk of getting COVID and complications of COVID is much much higher even in this age and gender group.  Same can be said for the AZ vaccine.  You are lucky in the US that there are multiple choices.  That is definitely not the case in much of the planet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kearney said:

I just came across this yesterday.... Do you remember when the head of CDC said she had a feeling of doom.. and then the very next day talked about data saying that people who got vaccinated were very unlikely to get or pass on covid... and then some other CDC spokesperson essentially said she misspoke? Well this popped up from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Expert Insights (yes it does say expert).... so if we are to follow the science... I want to follow this  science.   https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/new-data-on-covid-19-transmission-by-vaccinated-individuals.html

Yes there continues to be confirming evidence that these vaccines reduce viral transmission from real world data.  

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/23/world/coronavirus-newsletter-intl-04-23-21/index.html

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

hcat- unfortunately the J&J vaccine image has been tainted for much of the population.  The risk is minimal to non-existent for most of the adult population.  And very very low in women 18-50.  The risk of getting COVID and complications of COVID is much much higher even in this age and gender group.  Same can be said for the AZ vaccine.  You are lucky in the US that there are multiple choices.  That is definitely not the case in much of the planet.

According to one interview I saw yesterday the risk for women in their 20s and 30s was about 1 in 88,000.

In terms of drug safety I would not call that very very low. Still provides greater benefit than risk, but certainly not insignificant. With a warning to Doctors it can be mitigated to some degree. 

If I was a member of the affected demographic and had a choice of vaccines I would go with one of the others. Would go with it if no other was available. Would also take it without reservation if outside of the demographic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

According to one interview I saw yesterday the risk for women in their 20s and 30s was about 1 in 88,000.

In terms of drug safety I would not call that very very low. Still provides greater benefit than risk, but certainly not insignificant. With a warning to Doctors it can be mitigated to some degree. 

If I was a member of the affected demographic and had a choice of vaccines I would go with one of the others. Would go with it if no other was available. Would also take it without reservation if outside of the demographic.

That is about half the risk of being struck by lightening (1/15,300) during your lifetime. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Some of the posters on this thread are actually medical and vaccine experts. And avid cruisers.  That is a valuable combination and a unique perspective that some value. It has been that way since the beginning.  Now over 4800 posts. 

Thank you TeeRick and the other expert posters, you’ve all done an excellent job making this vaccine trek easier to understand.  Kudos to you all.  Katie

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Regarding what Staples and Office Depot are offering in terms of free lamination, do NOT do it. Keep your card as is.  IF there's a need for an additional dose in a year, they'll need to mark your card.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nocl said:

There's a FAR greater chance of a woman developing blood clots while taking the birth control pill than from any of the vaccines, BUT it really isn't an ideal comparison because of where the clots appear.  

Here's a good article on it:  LINK

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

There's a FAR greater chance of a woman developing blood clots while taking the birth control pill than from any of the vaccines, BUT it really isn't an ideal comparison because of where the clots appear.  

It is also not a good comparison because birth control clots are not related to HIT. One of the biggest risks is that when the doctor treats the vaccine related clots the normal drug of choice for treating clots is Heparin, which is contraindicated for the vaccine related problem.  Thus the medical community needs to be trained to ask about vaccine status and timing, then test for HIT or use an alternative prior to reaching for the heparin.

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

Many women never stuck with the pill  for the same reasons of risk..

3 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

That is about half the risk of being struck by lightening (1/15,300) during your lifetime. 

I don't carry an umbrella into the middle of an open field in a thunderstorm either.

Again as I said the benefits still outweigh risk.  If I was in the effected demographic and had a choice I would choose one of the others.  If I had no choice in vaccines I would take the J&J instead of going unvaccinated. Outside of that demographic would not worry about it at all.

Of course with the even slight risk you are going to get a number of people reacting to any minor side effect symptoms as if it is a case of clotting.

In terms of an approved vaccine 1 in 88,000 is material.  Back in the swine flu days with all of the fuss about the vaccine and GBS (Guillian-Barr Syndrome) the increased risk was around 1 per 100,000.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

Regarding what Staples and Office Depot are offering in terms of free lamination, do NOT do it. Keep your card as is.  IF there's a need for an additional dose in a year, they'll need to mark your card.

They have plastic sleeves on Amazon that you can get for your card.  It is a ziplock like pouch where you can remove the card.  TeeRick posted a link earlier in the thread.

42 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

They have plastic sleeves on Amazon that you can get for your card.  It is a ziplock like pouch where you can remove the card.  TeeRick posted a link earlier in the thread.

Here's what the DW is ordering today. Is this similar to what you're referring to?

Amazon.com | Passport Cover Clear Plastic Vinyl ID Card Protector Case Holder Pack of 5 | Passport Covers

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here's what the DW is ordering today. Is this similar to what you're referring to?

Amazon.com | Passport Cover Clear Plastic Vinyl ID Card Protector Case Holder Pack of 5 | Passport Covers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CGRQT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one that I ordered.  I believe that the one you are ordering is a bit larger.  It should still fit and you can also use it for your passport.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CGRQT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one that I ordered.  I believe that the one you are ordering is a bit larger.  It should still fit and you can also use it for your passport.

We figured pretty much the only time we're going to need the CDC vaccination card, other than to get any boosters recorded in it, was when we go on a cruise, so we figured it just made sense to keep the two together.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, kearney said:

I may have missed a post.. but I have seen suggestions of copying or scanning your vaccine card and keeping a copy at home and bring an extra....just in case... could be more important than passport

Take a picture of your vaccine card from your cell phone as well as your passport.

Edited by NMTraveller

42 minutes ago, kearney said:

I may have missed a post.. but I have seen suggestions of copying or scanning your vaccine card and keeping a copy at home and bring an extra....just in case... could be more important than passport

We always make copies of our passport and other key documents.  When touring, we lock our passports in the hotel safe and keep a copy in case we are asked for ID.

• Like 2

Good news regarding even one dose drastically cuts infections.   UK is now inviting over 45s for their vaccine.  Take up rate for over 50s is 95%

BBC News - One Covid vaccine cuts infection rate in all age groups
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56844220

BBC News - Covid: Vaccine uptake among over-50s hits 95% in England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56849874

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Good news regarding even one dose drastically cuts infections.   UK is now inviting over 45s for their vaccine.  Take up rate for over 50s is 95%

BBC News - One Covid vaccine cuts infection rate in all age groups
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56844220

BBC News - Covid: Vaccine uptake among over-50s hits 95% in England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56849874

That's great news for Monday's two-week follow-up to the April 12 announcement – there should be no worry about needing to pause the roadmap schedule.  Cheers!

• Like 3