Jump to content

Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?


Recommended Posts

From what I've read, several of the vaccines need to be transported and stored at extreme cold temperatures - I've seen numbers from -4 F to - 94 F.  This is far more difficult that the usual cold storage needed for many vaccines.  Not sure every local Walgreens will be able to manage -94 F temps.  That said, a lot of companies are ramping up based on what they expect/hope will happen with a successful vaccine.

 

Also, if two doses are required, it'll be a logistical issue to track each person receiving the shot and ensuring they show up on time for shot 2.  There were issues with Shingrix with people missing the recommended window for shot 2, especially the first year of availability.

 

Or, will they turn stadiums, schools,  etc., into inoculation centers?  Almost hearkening back to the polio vaccines and mass inoculations (sugar cubes back then).  Will they expand who can give inoculations beyond the current personnel?

 

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/keeping-coronavirus-vaccines-at-subzero-temperatures-during-distribution

 

Lots of infrastructure to consider, even if all goes well.

 

Then you've got the whole probably tiered inoculation administration.  I'm still guessing HCW and first responders, essential workers of whatever industry, then those 'civilians' with age and/or chronic conditions that put them more at risk, etc etc.   How will those designations be assigned and verified?  

 

I remember some years back when the flu vaccine was scarce - I have Type 2 diabetes so did get to 'skip to the head of the line', but had to show physician's statement.

 

A local pharmacy tech did tell me a month ago her nationwide chain was being kept in the loop and trying to work out best working practices.

 

I have read that Medicare will cover any vaccine for its recipients.  Hopefully all the major US insurers will follow, and subsidized inoculations for those who cannot afford insurance in the US>

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for expanding info  on  this topic,  Quite alot to think about.  I am Type 2 high risk, and have been semi isolating  since March, as are many in my age bracket. Interested in the vaccine for obvious reasons and have a cruise booked for 2022.

 

Planning to fly next month,,very nervous! After we arrive in Fla we will try to get the updated shingles shots..we believe not covered by Medicare??? Already had our flu shots.

 

Hope to follow the vaccine developments...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigAl94 said:

Quite prepared by to be dismissed as a wing nut but my prediction is that vaccines will have very limited effect, we will have to learn to live with the virus and that a new normal will emerge by 2026

Having an opinion, does not have you a wing nut, in my opinion 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in Georgia and have used our local county health department for vaccines.  We have been told that once a vaccine has been approved our health department will, at first, be the place to go for the vaccine.   Some have opined that you could go to CVS or Walgreens for the vaccine, like you can now for the flu shot.

 

Also, I read that the Federal Government will provide the vaccine free of charge.

 

Since five drug companies are in final stages with a vaccine, I expect one or more to be available early next year.   Hope we can travel again next year.  We have a safari in East Africa planned in July (put off from this year) and a TA cruise from Rome to Tampa in October.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Despegue said:

The battle is indeed a Worldwide effort, and that is the only thing I wanted to emphasise. Some politicians seem to think that it is a “one man  (reality) show”, which is insulting to the thousands of researchers Worldwide who have not rested since January 2020. Operation Warp Speed is obviously a good thing, but not more than what any other country is doing right now, something that a lot of Americans don’t seem to understand, and which certainly won’t be mentioned on Fox Propaganda, sorry, “news”.

 

Unfortunately, here in Belgium, we are suffering a major second wave, partly because the youth, those who we rely our future prosperity on, found it more important to party than to adhere to the rules...

Let’s hope for a solution in 2021. We luckily have reserved already millions of doses with several companies, as most developed countries have.

What worries me more are those people living in countries without the financial means to buy massive Covid19 vaccine stocks.

This needs to be a WHO effort to eradicate this nightmare Worldwide.

 

I have also had the honour of meeting mr. Slaoui and he is certainly the right man for the job.

 

To this point (in red) - a very good one.  Here are some organizations advancing this issue worldwide.

 

The World Bank last week approved $12 Billion to help some of these developing countries.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2020/10/13/world-bank-approves-12-billion-for-covid-19-vaccines

 

The WHO along with an organization called GAVI has set up COVAX to help developing countries .

https://www.who.int/initiatives/act-accelerator/covax

https://www.gavi.org/

 

China has committed to COVAX too.

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/china-joins-who-initiative-distribute-covid-vaccine-developing-countries

 

Of major countries, only the USA and Russia are not involved with COVAX.  

https://www.axios.com/covax-initiative-vaccines-china-joins-trump-russia-26dce1f3-1b81-47af-8b7d-199900a928f3.html

 

It is entirely possible pending the outcome of the US election on 03 Nov that the US could join the WHO/GAVI/COVAX effort in 2021.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hcat said:

Distribution of vaccines may become a potential hurdle .I saw our NY Gov on TV today raising many issues.

 

 He talked about the State(s) being responsible for storage of vaccine doses at proper temps,  distribution, and  in what order,  etc and convincing people to be vaccinated and tracking (?) . Said folks will  likely need 2 doses.  And need for  Fed Gov  funding.

 

Sounds like another huge bureacracy in the making. How this will all play out is a serious question, esp if a vaccine is needed before folks can cruise.

 

Actually never gave this much thought.  For flu, pneumonia and shingles  vaccines we just get them at our local pharmacy. Either covered by insurance or pay cash.

It entirely depends on which vaccine (or vaccines) is approved and it's characteristics.  There is a huge amount of thought and activity going on to address these concerns (worldwide) and not just within the US or even NYS.  No comment on the NY Gov.  We want to avoid politics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, greykitty said:

Also, if two doses are required, it'll be a logistical issue to track each person receiving the shot and ensuring they show up on time for shot 2

Not to mention that they receive the correct second booster as it appears there will be several vaccines out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mimbecky said:

Not to mention that they receive the correct second booster as it appears there will be several vaccines out.

Most places where one would go to get a vaccine, Pharmacies, Doctor's offices, etc, have computer systems that have the functionality to track patients and generate notices when the second dose is due.  Many can even generate automatic e-mails and robo calls to notify patients.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember getting the rather dubious swine flu vaccine in 1976. I was going to the University at the time and they were inoculating people in (long lines in) the Student Union . I think they were also using National Guard Armories and High School gyms to do the inoculations. It seems like those types of places might also be a possibility.  My state has been using Armories for Community Testing sites.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/939378?src=mkm_covid_update_201019_mscpedit_&uac=121125HX&impID=2628422&faf=1
 

This fleshes out some of the statements above. Somewhere about page 2, it states the federal govt will partner with hospitals and public health depts for the first shipments of vaccine. That will be where much of the ultra low storage vaccine may end up, because many hospitals will be equipped for storage - properly controlled thawing may be the issue.

Much still needs to be decided and depends on which vaccine is approved.

The IT piece will be a nightmare and may hold up the entire process. As more and more antigen tests are done and testing moves beyond labs to point of care, the public health depts are losing control of the “numbers”. Tracking the vaccine will be even harder - getting people in for the second dose will be a challenge, but you have to hope there will be some personal responsibility as well as reminders. The hard part will be notifying the govt/public health that persons were vaccinated, the electronic connections are primarily between laboratories and hospital infection control depts and the state public health - doctor offices and pharmacies are not involved in this reporting.

Edited by cangelmd
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/939378?src=mkm_covid_update_201019_mscpedit_&uac=121125HX&impID=2628422&faf=1
 

This fleshes out some of the statements above. Somewhere about page 2, it states the federal govt will partner with hospitals and public health depts for the first shipments of vaccine. That will be where much of the ultra low storage vaccine may end up, because many hospitals will be equipped for storage - properly controlled thawing may be the issue.

Much still needs to be decided and depends on which vaccine is approved.

The IT piece will be a nightmare and may hold up the entire process. As more and more antigen tests are done and testing moves beyond labs to point of care, the public health depts are losing control of the “numbers”. Tracking the vaccine will be even harder - getting people in for the second dose will be a challenge, but you have to hope there will be some personal responsibility as well as reminders. The hard part will be notifying the govt/public health that persons were vaccinated, the electronic connections are primarily between laboratories and hospital infection control depts and the state public health - doctor offices and pharmacies are not involved in this reporting.

I just want to get back to cruising here, I'm leaving scince to the experts, on here I wish to focus on the CC topic..."sailing takes me away to where I've always heard it could be, just a dream and the wind to carry me"  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/939378?src=mkm_covid_update_201019_mscpedit_&uac=121125HX&impID=2628422&faf=1
 

This fleshes out some of the statements above. Somewhere about page 2, it states the federal govt will partner with hospitals and public health depts for the first shipments of vaccine. That will be where much of the ultra low storage vaccine may end up, because many hospitals will be equipped for storage - properly controlled thawing may be the issue.

Much still needs to be decided and depends on which vaccine is approved.

The IT piece will be a nightmare and may hold up the entire process. As more and more antigen tests are done and testing moves beyond labs to point of care, the public health depts are losing control of the “numbers”. Tracking the vaccine will be even harder - getting people in for the second dose will be a challenge, but you have to hope there will be some personal responsibility as well as reminders. The hard part will be notifying the govt/public health that persons were vaccinated, the electronic connections are primarily between laboratories and hospital infection control depts and the state public health - doctor offices and pharmacies are not involved in this reporting.

 

Interesting framework. Most of the questions were predictable. A lot of them are inside baseball and probably seem minor, but they really aren't. And the IT piece will absolutely be a nightmare. I'm looking at my TRICARE medical record, for instance, and the flu vaccine I got at a pharmacy last year is listed as a medication, not under immunizations. 

 

Hope there are some details in the works somewhere...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markeb said:

 

Interesting framework. Most of the questions were predictable. A lot of them are inside baseball and probably seem minor, but they really aren't. And the IT piece will absolutely be a nightmare. I'm looking at my TRICARE medical record, for instance, and the flu vaccine I got at a pharmacy last year is listed as a medication, not under immunizations. 

 

Hope there are some details in the works somewhere...

I wish this totally 100% opinion post would be closed, OP are you listening???  The pompous responses, the pretend Google/Fox/CNN/MSNBC scientists....enough already, this is a CRUISE website.  Please OP close this!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I wish this totally 100% opinion post would be closed, OP are you listening???  The pompous responses, the pretend Google/Fox/CNN/MSNBC scientists....enough already, this is a CRUISE website.  Please OP close this!!!!

Actually, this thread has been quite informative in a variety of ways as we all wait for the first vaccines to be released, whether in the EU or the USA, so we can all get back to cruising.

 

One of the many aspects of this thread, being both the OP as well as someone sitting over in the peanut gallery, is that it keeps me and others informed of the progress of the various COVID vaccines and how they may possibly be disseminated once granted approval.

 

Unfortunately, the vaccine updates have been slow in coming as of late for obvious reasons so news releases have slowed down, but the knowledge most of us continue to gain from the various posts on this thread has for the most part been very well received. However, if you've grown tired of it you can always click the Unfollow button, as I have on many threads when I no longer find them newsworthy. 

 

But, for me, I hope this thread continues and the various very knowledgeable folks that have contributed to it so far will continue providing us all with their insights regarding the various COVID vaccines as they hopefully make their way very soon to the finish line and into our arms so we can all start cruising again. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually, this thread has been quite informative in a variety of ways as we all wait for the first vaccines to be released, whether in the EU or the USA, so we can all get back to cruising.

 

One of the many aspects of this thread, being both the OP as well as someone sitting over in the peanut gallery, is that it keeps me and others informed of the progress of the various COVID vaccines and how they may possibly be disseminated once granted approval.

 

Unfortunately, the vaccine updates have been slow in coming as of late for obvious reasons so news releases have slowed down, but the knowledge most of us continue to gain from the various posts on this thread has for the most part been very well received. However, if you've grown tired of it you can always click the Unfollow button, as I have on many threads when I no longer find newsworthy. 

 

But, for me, I hope this thread continues and the various very knowledgeable folks that have contributed to it so for will continue providing us all with their insights regarding the various COVID vaccines as they hopefully make their way very soon to the finish line and into our arms so we can all start cruising again. 

 

 

 

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please, we need to keep this thread going. I have learned so much over these past several months by following along. There are many knowledgeable contributors who have taken a lot of time to offer their insights into vaccine development.  I may not post often but follow this thread daily.  I am 70 and receive mABs every 3 weeks for my cancer treatment.  I am extremely interested in following the vaccine development and truly appreciate the links to articles and information updates from others who post. This thread gives us insight and a hope to some day set sail again.  I’ve had to lift shift 3 cruises so far. I miss cruising.  Steady as she goes.  Hoping for some positive news in the next few months.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I wish this totally 100% opinion post would be closed, OP are you listening???  The pompous responses, the pretend Google/Fox/CNN/MSNBC scientists....enough already, this is a CRUISE website.  Please OP close this!!!!

I would say that the success of vaccines are related to our ability to get back to cruising. 

 

The posts in this thread have contained a wealth of information.

 

I hope the thread keeps going...

 

I support what @REEtired said in the post above #1069.

Edited by Shadow9612
Typo correction
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I wish this totally 100% opinion post would be closed, OP are you listening???  The pompous responses, the pretend Google/Fox/CNN/MSNBC scientists....enough already, this is a CRUISE website.  Please OP close this!!!!

I come here every so often just to see what's happening. It's sometimes useful to hear what is going on if one doesn't keep up to date on the news all of the time. I don't read all of the opinions as they get pretty detailed at times. I suggest you do the same or don't click on the link to the thread at all. But closing the thread as you suggest spoils it for everyone.  

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I wish this totally 100% opinion post would be closed, OP are you listening???  The pompous responses, the pretend Google/Fox/CNN/MSNBC scientists....enough already, this is a CRUISE website.  Please OP close this!!!!

Sorry, I disagree.  I am enjoying reading this thread.  If you aren’t interested, just skip over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I wish this totally 100% opinion post would be closed, OP are you listening???  The pompous responses, the pretend Google/Fox/CNN/MSNBC scientists....enough already, this is a CRUISE website.  Please OP close this!!!!

If you read all the posts, you will find that many of those responding are not "pretend Google/Fox/CNN/MSNBC scientists," but are indeed people with the educations and job experiences to discuss vaccines and clinical trials.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I wish this totally 100% opinion post would be closed, OP are you listening???  The pompous responses, the pretend Google/Fox/CNN/MSNBC scientists....enough already, this is a CRUISE website.  Please OP close this!!!!

Based upon detailed and very informative responses there are very real and well educated MD's and scientists contributing to this thread. The MD's and scientists contributing have a unique perspective here as they are also avid cruisers.  That is valuable to me anyway (and seems many others) to hear what they have to say.  Is there any post or thread on Cruise Critic (including yours) that are not 100% opinion?  If you are somehow offended by a discussion of vaccine science and progress- which is critical to getting back to normal cruise vacations- then just move on.  Or hit ignore.  Simple. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Based upon detailed and very informative responses there are very real and well educated MD's and scientists contributing to this thread. The MD's and scientists contributing have a unique perspective here as they are also avid cruisers.  That is valuable to me anyway (and seems many others) to hear what they have to say.  Is there any post or thread on Cruise Critic (including yours) that are not 100% opinion?  If you are somehow offended by a discussion of vaccine science and progress- which is critical to getting back to normal cruise vacations- then just move on.  Or hit ignore.  Simple. 

Gotta agree.

 

We can all talk about "reduced capacity" and "what is the buffet going to be like?" and "will I have to wear a mask at the pool?" but until there is an effective vaccine I think there is zero chance that cruising will return to anything even remotely similar to the past experiences.

 

Yes, there are some who are ready to rush to any ship, anywhere tomorrow (or at least say they are) but we've got a long way to go to recapture millions of cruisers hearts and minds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone following this thread closely can soon recognize those contributors whose posts are knowledge-based and those whose posts are riddled with nonsense. Those not enjoying this thread have plenty of others to choose from.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...