Jump to content

Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

It is free.  Trust me I am the ultimate total liberal, but this policy just makes no sense to me.

I'm not sure it is "free" to everyone.

 

We did the paperwork required to obtain our (un)available vaccine from our local county health department. Besides the expected health questions, we needed to provide information on insurance coverage and Medicare ID numbers (Medicaid of applicable).

 

Our unsuccessful attempt to obtain an appointment from Publx also required complete insurance information. 

 

That is a pretty clear indication that the information would have been used to obtain payment.

 

As far as snowbirds go, I know that some carry a health insurance policy specifically for obtaining medical care here in the USA that they would otherwise be forced to wait for under their home national healthcare system (hip replacements and cataract surgery are two examples).

 

That insurance would also be a payment source for the vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

 

There's the problem! It is not taking the pandemic serious. People on holiday and staying in hotels during this stage of the crisis. I am surprised that gift shops are open. 

Why are taking the pandemic seriously and going on holiday mutually exclusive?

 

In northern states, it's rather cold, and most activities are indoors, especially dining.  By visiting a more temperate climate, one can follow all of the guidelines and spend more time outdoors. Whether it's dining al fresco, playing golf, walking on a beach, or some other activity, there are a myriad of things that are often done on vacation that have no effect on the risk to the vacationing individuals or the residents in the area.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, D C said:

Why are taking the pandemic seriously and going on holiday mutually exclusive?

 

In northern states, it's rather cold, and most activities are indoors, especially dining.  By visiting a more temperate climate, one can follow all of the guidelines and spend more time outdoors. Whether it's dining al fresco, playing golf, walking on a beach, or some other activity, there are a myriad of things that are often done on vacation that have no effect on the risk to the vacationing individuals or the residents in the area.  

 

All these people you are thinking of.  Were they tested for covid before or after they traveled? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

 

All these people you are thinking of.  Were they tested for covid before or after they traveled? 

Let's presume that they're tested no more or less than the locals who partake in the same activities and follow established guidelines.  In the case of a lot of snowbirds, they essentially become locals for weeks or months on end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, D C said:

Let's presume that they're tested no more or less than the locals who partake in the same activities and follow established guidelines.  In the case of a lot of snowbirds, they essentially become locals for weeks or months on end. 

 

So it doesn't matter if we spread infections from one state to another?  Should we all go on vacation to get away from it all?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an interesting article about the work being done to develop a next generation "needle free" COVID vaccine.

 

“This vaccine is one of the first of the next generation COVID-19 vaccines, it is a single dose, needle free, intranasal, live attenuated COVID-19 virus vaccine.” Cathal Friel, Executive Chairman, of Open Orphan, the company running the trials said in a statement.

 

Inhaling away the virus: Is the next generation of COVID vaccines on its way? (msn.com)

Link to post
Share on other sites

So now people in Florida are fighting to get the vaccine according to the NY Times.  And Canadians are flying in to get in line too.  What happened to the idea that at least 60% of the population mistrusts the vaccine and would need to be convinced to take it?  Was that just another inaccurate media poll?😄

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/us/coronavirus-vaccine-florida.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

 

So it doesn't matter if we spread infections from one state to another?  Should we all go on vacation to get away from it all?

A test is an imperfect snapshot of a given point in time; and a test taken today is no assurance that one won't be sick with covid tomorrow.   Testing before you go doesn't mean you won't bring it with you.  Testing when you get home doesn't mean that you didn't have it while you were gone. 

 

If guidelines are being followed, there is no more risk to anyone if someone from the Midwest eats dinner outside in Daytona, than if someone from Melbourne drives up to Daytona to go to their favourite restaurant on the beach.    You make it sound as if travel is inherently dangerous and covid somehow singles out those people.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here's an interesting article about the work being done to develop a next generation "needle free" COVID vaccine.

 

“This vaccine is one of the first of the next generation COVID-19 vaccines, it is a single dose, needle free, intranasal, live attenuated COVID-19 virus vaccine.” Cathal Friel, Executive Chairman, of Open Orphan, the company running the trials said in a statement.

 

Inhaling away the virus: Is the next generation of COVID vaccines on its way? (msn.com)

On one hand, the intranasal (mucosal) vaccination route might be better for prevention of COVID transmission.  But that will all be determined.  I'm not sure how easy it might be to get a live COVID vaccine (even if attenuated) through the FDA without years of safety studies.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, zitsky said:

 

So it doesn't matter if we spread infections from one state to another?  Should we all go on vacation to get away from it all?

The virus at this point does not seem to understand state boundaries.  Dumb virus.😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So now people in Florida are fighting to get the vaccine according to the NY Times.  And Canadians are flying in to get in line too.  What happened to the idea that at least 60% of the population mistrusts the vaccine and would need to be convinced to take it?  Was that just another inaccurate media poll?😄

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/us/coronavirus-vaccine-florida.html

Dang.  Chaos.  

I'm guessing that it's the 40% that are duking it out while the other 60% are sitting at home.  I still see a LOT of heretofore sensible people sharing their anti-vax stance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

On one hand, the intranasal (mucosal) vaccination route might be better for prevention of COVID transmission.  But that will all be determined.  I'm not sure how easy it might be to get a live COVID vaccine (even if attenuated) through the FDA without years of safety studies.  


If it shows any promise, they’ll sell the company. Mission accomplished without ever delivering a product...

 

I don’t see a live attenuated vaccine for a coronavirus getting anywhere with the FDA. Safety studies, and gain of function studies. Years...

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, markeb said:


If it shows any promise, they’ll sell the company. Mission accomplished without ever delivering a product...

 

I don’t see a live attenuated vaccine for a coronavirus getting anywhere with the FDA. Safety studies, and gain of function studies. Years...

That's OK. I just thought it was an interesting option being studied, similar to the currently approved nasal spray flu vaccine available today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

So now people in Florida are fighting to get the vaccine according to the NY Times.  And Canadians are flying in to get in line too.  What happened to the idea that at least 60% of the population mistrusts the vaccine and would need to be convinced to take it?  Was that just another inaccurate media poll?😄

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/us/coronavirus-vaccine-florida.html

 

I feel like this winters surge of cases everywhere is causing lots more people to want the vaccine, as the threat of the virus becomes more and more visibly apparent.

 

I mean, it's not an irrational cost/benefit analysis.  There is a lot of good scientific reasons to be cautious about these new mRNA vaccines, and I know many people who were hesitant about getting these vaccine.  I know a lot of reasonable people who wanted to wait a few more months before getting the vaccine, to see if there were any rare side effects or any later side effects. 

 

But now with cases like they are, I feel like all the people that were hesitant are now fighting to get it 1 week earlier, since the cases are blowing up and the risk for contracting the virus is going up every week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

From my understanding the vaccine is free but the providers are allowed to charge an administration fee.  That's what the insurance info is for.

I'm glad the providers will be able to charge an administration fee. It will hopefully give the commercial pharmacies a "competitive" motivation to significantly ramp up more effective distribution plans, especially once the J&J and AZ vaccines with their more accommodating storage requirements are approved by the FDA.

 

Sorry, but we just want to go cruising again, and it sure appears from over here in the peanut gallery the various local government agencies currently involved in the actual "shot giving" business, mine being one of them, are way over their heads, especially with the added burden of dealing with the more strict refrigeration requirements of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

 

More Than 26 Million Shots Given: Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker (bloomberg.com)

 

Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate all that everyone has done up to this point. However, it's time to get the show on the road, especially when folks are saying there is plenty of vaccine in the supply chain out there. In my state's case, we have been allotted 283,000+ doses and have only given 57,000+ shots up to this point since Dec 14th.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, D C said:

Why are taking the pandemic seriously and going on holiday mutually exclusive?

 

In northern states, it's rather cold, and most activities are indoors, especially dining.  By visiting a more temperate climate, one can follow all of the guidelines and spend more time outdoors. Whether it's dining al fresco, playing golf, walking on a beach, or some other activity, there are a myriad of things that are often done on vacation that have no effect on the risk to the vacationing individuals or the residents in the area.  

 

feel free to enjoy those things after you complete your mandatory 10 day quarantine after you arrive :)  (CA) 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm glad the providers will be able to charge an administration fee. It will hopefully give the commercial pharmacies a "competitive" motivation to significantly ramp up more effective distribution plans, especially once the J&J and AZ vaccines with their more accommodating storage requirements are approved by the FDA.

 

Sorry, but we just want to go cruising again, and it sure appears from over here in the peanut gallery the various local government agencies currently involved in the actual "shot giving" business, mine being one of them, are way over their heads, especially with the added burden of dealing with the more strict refrigeration requirements of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

 

More Than 26 Million Shots Given: Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker (bloomberg.com)

 

Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate all that everyone has done up to this point. However, it's time to get the show on the road, especially when folks are saying there is plenty of vaccine in the supply chain out there. In my state's case, we have been allotted 283,000+ doses and have only given 57,000+ shots up to this point since Dec 14th.

 

Agreed.  On a weekly/monthly basis, far more influenza vaccines are given than what's been done thus far for covid.  The big difference is who is doing it.

 

CVS came into DW's work last week and knocked out 200+ jabs for patients and staff in far less time than they had expected.  DW was scheduled for 4:00 and got hers at lunchtime because the process was going so efficiently.  I don't think health departments are set up for anything close to the scale of vaccination that is done by these companies.  

 

Vaccine supply is not the issue right now by any means. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

 

feel free to enjoy those things after you complete your mandatory 10 day quarantine after you arrive 🙂  (CA) 

 

 

Shouldn't CA be begging healthy people to come visit in order to lower their numbers 😉  (I jest, but I'd think there would be more concern over people who had visited CA than vice versa).

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Point #1 is a little disturbing.  Do people really stand around checking out license plates??  Not sure that's a community I would even want to visit (and if I did, I would follow each and every virus mitigation law for the record).  And I don't think I would be standing around talking to people who were virus deniers discussing where they were traveling from (or be near enough to overhear their conversations either).  I'm also not sure why locals would be hanging around gift shops or hotels or vacation rentals checking to see who is following restrictions and who is not.  If they were the owners/managers, they could be denying entry to those who do not comply.

 

So overall still seems to me to be a bit of confirmation bias on the part of locals.  But I can't prove that any more than you can prove your points.  I do think that states like California, Arizona, and Florida  experience greater risk simply because in the winter they attract many of us from much colder climates trying to escape the snow and cold.  I understand why during a pandemic these states would by and large prefer that people stay put and don't visit.  At the same time, most of those visitors tend to be from areas where we are very used to following tight restrictions (Canada, New York, Chicago area). 

 

I'm not sure about California, but I know that Florida, long before the snowbirds starting flying in, was doing a horrible job in enacting mitigation measures in many areas.  Can't blame the snowbirds for that.  Arizona was as well this past summer, although after a time most of the large metropolitan areas wised up and put restrictions in place.  I can tell you that when I visited Arizona in early November (following the tight protocols I am used to here in the Chicago area) , I found the majority of people in gift shops and tourist areas wearing masks, social distancing, etc..  I also found that in many cases it was the shop owners (clearly locals) who were the ones not wearing the masks.  

Not a matter of standing around, just a matter of observing when the parking lot is right near the main crowded area of the pier.  A matter of being interested in the amount of mask compliance and where people are from.

 

I guess one could ignore people that come up and ask questions.  Or for that matter are talking with others a short distance away but within hearing distance.

 

Considering that in a normal year 2 million people visit Pismo Beach and the 5 cities only consist of 50,000 one can also get an idea by just looking at the percentage of mask wearers in the tourist areas vs the non-tourist areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, D C said:

Shouldn't CA be begging healthy people to come visit in order to lower their numbers 😉  (I jest, but I'd think there would be more concern over people who had visited CA than vice versa).

I many locations the cases are reported by place of residence, not necessarily where diagnosed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

 

feel free to enjoy those things after you complete your mandatory 10 day quarantine after you arrive 🙂  (CA) 

 

 

If they did a mandatory quarantine, they would be about the only one.  Most ignore any such requirement and no one is doing any checking or tracking, unlike Hawaii.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

More Than 26 Million Shots Given: Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker (bloomberg.com)

 

Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate all that everyone has done up to this point. However, it's time to get the show on the road, especially when folks are saying there is plenty of vaccine in the supply chain out there. In my state's case, we have been allotted 283,000+ doses and have only given 57,000+ shots up to this point since Dec 14th.

 

I just want to focus on the part I bolded.

 

I understand the frustration, but there's only so many medical professionals available to give the shots.  I know there was a call for retired nurses, doctors, etc., to assist in Illinois in order to alleviate the demand.  IMO, they need to pull out some medical students, those who are capable and can safely give shots of course, in order to help.

 

This is a state-level failure which compounds the federal-level failure.  Right now, my wife and I are looking at the end of March, it we're lucky, before we can think about getting our shots.  We're both in phase 1C.  Early on the guess, according to state officials, was February. At this rate, I'm thinking end of April.  Fingers crossed.

 

Edit to add:

 

I can't quote your comment concerning the vaccine rollout (comment above this one), but this is good news! That means my wife can get her shot.  Fingers are still crossed!

Edited by K.T.B.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Azamara - We are back with New Greece Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...