The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

9 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

Yes, Chi-town is "Second City" to the Big Apple. I think of their pizza as different entirely, especially when you are talking about Giordano's original stuffed pizza.

Lou Malnati’s, Gino’s East or UNO’s for me!

julie

• Like 2

Crystal calls theirs Muesli.  I am under the impression that generally would contain other grain(s) in addition to oats, not necessarily chia although maybe that too.  I always thought it had heavy cream, or at least half and half in it.  That would make everything else so delicious that it is hard to tell what other grains are there.  I'm sure there are tons of different ways to make a similar thing.  If Crystal is using milk and yogurt instead of cream, that would make me feel much less guilty about enjoying it, so I think I will choose to believe that.  😇

Regardless, ChatKat's recipe looks really good (and easy) and I am going to try it.

3 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Crystal calls theirs Muesli.  I am under the impression that generally would contain other grain(s) in addition to oats, not necessarily chia although maybe that too.  I always thought it had heavy cream, or at least half and half in it.  That would make everything else so delicious that it is hard to tell what other grains are there.  I'm sure there are tons of different ways to make a similar thing.  If Crystal is using milk and yogurt instead of cream, that would make me feel much less guilty about enjoying it, so I think I will choose to believe that.  😇

Regardless, ChatKat's recipe looks really good (and easy) and I am going to try it.

I have a recipe called Muesli as well.  Both are from a healthy cooking class onboard another ship and are Canyon Ranch Recipes - neither are called Overnight Oats.  The Crystal treat is exactly the same.  The other recipe makes a big batch.  The key is 6 oz Plain Full Fat Yogurt, 6 ounces of regular Milk, Orange Juice (1/2 Cup), 1 Cup of Steel Cut Oats, A banana, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, a tsp of vanilla extract,  an apple cut into little bites, and top with whatever fruit you like.
Usually I have seen this in the Bistro in a small square dish and you can add berries or melon or oranges to it.

Yummy!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

The key is 6 oz Plain Full Fat Yogurt, 6 ounces of regular Milk

Yes, to me that would probably taste like cream.  I only have non-fat yogurt and 1-2%  milk.  I guess to get the genuine Crystal Muesli experience, I need to go shopping first.  LOL

3 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I have a recipe called Muesli as well.  Both are from a healthy cooking class onboard another ship and are Canyon Ranch Recipes - neither are called Overnight Oats.  The Crystal treat is exactly the same.  The other recipe makes a big batch.  The key is 6 oz Plain Full Fat Yogurt, 6 ounces of regular Milk, Orange Juice (1/2 Cup), 1 Cup of Steel Cut Oats, A banana, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, a tsp of vanilla extract,  an apple cut into little bites, and top with whatever fruit you like.
Usually I have seen this in the Bistro in a small square dish and you can add berries or melon or oranges to it.

Yummy!

Thank you! I can hardly wait to try it. I just need to get some chia! Yes I imagine the yogurt makes a difference. 

Photo of Louis' Lunch - New Haven, CT, United States. Front

As one of a handful of restaurants claiming to be originators of the Hamburg Sandwich, Louis’ Lunch offers another unique foodie experience in New Haven, CT.  A Danish immigrant blacksmith/preacher started the business in 1895  with a food cart and opened a small restaurant soon after.  His descendants still operate the business with a limited menu featuring “their” special burgers  (bread, onions, cheese, tomatoes; but no rolls, no ketchup, no condiments). 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

Downton Abby was filmed a t Highclere Castle in Hampshire ENGLAND!

that’s correct.  There was an episode filmed in the Scottish highlands, not in England at Highclere castle

Nancy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Is this the Scottish castle that was used in Downton Abby? If it's not, it's very similar!

Yes.  It’s Inveraray Castle which you can get to quite easily from the port of Greenock, and it featured in one of the Christmas specials of Downton Abbey...

Anne...

Edited by Jayayeff
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jayayeff said:

Yes.  It’s Inveraray Castle which you can get to quite easily from the port of Greenock, and it featured in one of the Christmas specials of Downton Abbey...

Anne...

Dding Ding Ding! Winner! I'd send you a print if you had a US Address

1 hour ago, orchestrapal said:

Downton Abby was filmed a t Highclere Castle in Hampshire ENGLAND!

I know that.....I was referring to the episode where the family went to Scotland for "shooting".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Dding Ding Ding! Winner! I'd send you a print if you had a US Address

Thanks but I already have several of my own from a visit to the castle in 2015 when the Symphony cruise from New York to Dover called at Greenock... 

Anne...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Yes, to me that would probably taste like cream.  I only have non-fat yogurt and 1-2%  milk.  I guess to get the genuine Crystal Muesli experience, I need to go shopping first.  LOL

I make mine with Vanilla non-fat yogurt and lowfat milk. Oats, raisins, cinnamon, sliced almonds, yogurt and milk. Add honey if you want additional sweetness. Stir it up and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator.  Add sliced fruit of your liking to you own bowl in the morning. Fewer calories this way.

I make it every evening while making preparing dinner because after wine I tend to forget 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I make mine with Vanilla non-fat yogurt and lowfat milk. Oats, raisins, cinnamon, sliced almonds, yogurt and milk. Add honey if you want additional sweetness. Stir it up and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator.  Add sliced fruit of your liking to you own bowl in the morning. Fewer calories this way.

I make it every evening while making preparing dinner because after wine I tend to forget 😉

I wonder if I could use more chia and less oats?  I think the chia adds the tapioca-like texture

10 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

I wonder if I could use more chia and less oats?  I think the chia adds the tapioca-like texture

You could make it with just chia seeds and no oatmeal.  You would have chia pudding, which is also very good.  I make chia pudding with added protein powder.  A large batch will last me for 3 days.  The texture changes from overnight to the second morning, because it takes the chia seeds a long time to fully soften up.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2020 at 5:31 PM, rafinmd said:

The HAL forum has a daily thread, "The Daily" which used to be just the locations of where the ships were but has become very much a general chat thread.  I've been adding a daily sunrise/sunset photo and might try it here.  My intention would be to do something from the same calendar date but I don't cruise much in mid-July so they will be varied dates, from many cruise lines and not even all cruise related.  For today to took the very first one I posted to a blog.  I was using now extinct travelpod at the time so I have to load it from my laptop.  This was from my first world cruise segment (Papeete to Auckland in 2011) and is sunset taken from my hotel in Papeete (1/29/11) the night before I boarded Serenity:

sunset.JPG.601b0abaf2b19500b2669a160003beb5.JPG

Roy

Roy, I love that you shared this pic...  I took a really similar pic just downstairs from yours at the InterCon in 2016, and the moment left such an mark on me that I installed an accent light in a corner of the room and used the photo feature in the Philips Hue app to set/match the color of the light bulb and schedule it at sunset daily..  Now every night I'm reminded of that moment, in a subtle way.

31585669545_a1095ae9f0_z.jpg

Vince

• Like 5

Saying NEw Haven or Chicago pizza is better than NY is like saying NCL cruises are better than Crystal.   Eaten at Pepe several times And it was ok not great. The other difference is that you can have great NY pizza in hundreds of places not just 1

we could also discuss where best Deli is but you could guess my answer 

This should be my last scout camp photo at least for a while.  I am known on ships as an early riser and I'm much the same at summer camp.  I don't get surrise photos very often but I am usually the first one up in our group and can sometimes wander off to find a clearing over the lake while everyone else is still asleep.  This is a sunrise taken June 26, 2018 at our local council's camp in Northeast Maryland (between Baltimore and Philadelphia).

redskybcmsr.JPG.9de544f1c18c8618782e2d40

The rest of my photos for July should all have been taken sometime in July and travel related.

Roy

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jim9310 said:

As most of us are spending summertime close to home, I'm sharing a photo of one of my favorite beaches on outer Cape Cod.

1912591210_BeautifulBeach2.thumb.jpg.637a70fbf33659bf2f22ed68aa297103.jpg

Very nice!  Will it become crowded or is it as perfect for social distancing as it looks?

Roy

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Very nice!  Will it become crowded or is it as perfect for social distancing as it looks?

Roy

Good question, Roy.  No, it's never crowded.  This beach is on Cape Cod Bay and is walkable for many miles.  Plenty of space for social distancing.  The waterfront house lots are private property, but there has been a longstanding amicable tradition of sharing the beach.  Some adjacent neighborhoods have their own beach lots or have access via narrow pathways.  Where it bends to the left, there are some condos, thus more people.  No lifeguards though. 

Spectacular ocean beaches are only 1.3 miles away on the eastern side of the Cape.  Most Atlantic beaches are within the Cape Cod National Seashore.  Although the ocean's shoreline is open to the public, Atlantic beachgoers tend to congregate where there are large parking lots and lifeguards.

• Like 1