Jump to content

The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!


Recommended Posts

I have only one sunrise that is not cruise related.  My first attempt to circle the globe was inn 2003.  I crossed the Atlantic on a freighter, made some rail-ferry connections to Helsinki, and took the trans-Siberian railway to Beijing.  As I left my Moscow Hotel I got word that my trans-Pacific cruise on the Crystal Harmony had been cancelled due to SARS.  I had to fly back to North America, leaving me with an extra month of vacation time.  I used that time for a tour of Australia and New Zealand that fall.  Since I hate to fly, especially overnight, I booked a sequence of day flights (Auckland/Honolulu, rest day, Honolulu/SF, and SF/Baltimore).  On October 4, 2003, I watched the sun come up over Waikiki Beach:

 

KIF_0573.thumb.JPG.93a4c4600c68cad8195b1

 

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2020 at 9:03 AM, rafinmd said:

  I crossed the Atlantic on a freighter, made some rail-ferry connections to Helsinki, and took the trans-Siberian railway to Beijing.  

 

Roy

 

Roy,

 

You remain one of the few bright lights on this increasingly benighted board.  Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In October 2011 I started one of my stranger combinations.  I set sail October 1 through the Erie Canal on a Blount Small Ship Adventures from New York to Montreal (well most of it; floods had damaged a section of the canal and Blount was lucky enough to have a ship on each side of the break), then boarded the Crystal Symphony to take the ocean route back to New York.  October 6 was the day we had the bus bridge between ships and the sun came up very nicely over Little Falls, New York:

 

surnrislk7.jpg

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

In October 2011 I started one of my stranger combinations.  I set sail October 1 through the Erie Canal on a Blount Small Ship Adventures from New York to Montreal (well most of it; floods had damaged a section of the canal and Blount was lucky enough to have a ship on each side of the break), then boarded the Crystal Symphony to take the ocean route back to New York.  October 6 was the day we had the bus bridge between ships and the sun came up very nicely over Little Falls, New York:

 

You remain the uncontested King of trip and itinerary planners! And I highly doubt you’ll have to relinquish that title to anyone else!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Roy, I submitted an earlier message that might have been left in the bin.  I commend you for your exciting trips which we all get to enjoy.  I just wanted to say that I live in a neighborhood near the halfway mark of the New York State Erie Canal and was pleased to read that you traversed part of it.  It has an outstanding history, especially meeting commercial needs along its vast area.  DH, our dear pandemic puppy, and I walk the trails at least twice a week and enjoy the beautiful landscapes.  BTW, I learned that we disembarked with you early March from the Serenity, sorry we did not meet!!.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

Hi Roy, I submitted an earlier message that might have been left in the bin.  I commend you for your exciting trips which we all get to enjoy.  I just wanted to say that I live in a neighborhood near the halfway mark of the New York State Erie Canal and was pleased to read that you traversed part of it.  It has an outstanding history, especially meeting commercial needs along its vast area.  DH, our dear pandemic puppy, and I walk the trails at least twice a week and enjoy the beautiful landscapes.  BTW, I learned that we disembarked with you early March from the Serenity, sorry we did not meet!!.

I can relate to that.  I grew up about a mile north of Hancock Airport and have great memories of the area.  I used to watch the barges go through the locks west of Brewerton and my swimming spots were Oneida Lake and Green Lake.  I became infatuated with the canal due to a scout leader who led a canoe trip on one of the feeder canals to the main Erie Canal.  His enthusiasm was infectious and he had actually been on the canal as a boy.

 

Roy

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I can relate to that.  I grew up about a mile north of Hancock Airport and have great memories of the area.  I used to watch the barges go through the locks west of Brewerton and my swimming spots were Oneida Lake and Green Lake.  I became infatuated with the canal due to a scout leader who led a canoe trip on one of the feeder canals to the main Erie Canal.  His enthusiasm was infectious and he had actually been on the canal as a boy.

 

Roy

 

Roy

 

We are originally from the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, exactly) and first came to the Finger Lakes Region (Ithaca) around 30 years ago.  We moved to this area upon retirement and enjoy all the natural wonders around us.  We do miss our beautiful island and our Caribbean Sea!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's sunrise photo brings back great memories.  It's from my 2011 Blount/Crystal Montreal Circle.  On October 8 we were in Central New York and started out very early from Sylvan Beach crossing Oneida Lake to Oswego, NY and the St. Lawrence Seaway.  The sun came up at the west end of Oneida Lake, just a stones throw from an island where we had my high school graduation party.

 

 

1stlight.jpg

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be sunsets rather than sunrises for the next couple of days. On October 8, 2017 the MS Amsterdam crossed the International dateline.  While it was officially October 8 ship's time, I figure by then actual local time was October 9.

 

daysend08.jpg

 

Roy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TER777 said:

And  the winner of 2020 Britain's Got Talent is:

 

Thanks.  We are facing the remnants of Delta today with 2 inches of rain in the forecast so it's a good day to have some extra videos to watch.

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2015 I sailed transatlantic on the Allure of the Seas, and as I often do combined it with a transatlantic in the opposite direction on Queen Mary 2.  This is the sunrise October on QM2:

 

 

dawn1012.jpg

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...