The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Of course...  Usually I just start at the Monocacy Aqueduct, and pick a direction (more often north), and then just walk until I'm tired and turn around.  I grew up in Montgomery Co., so we would go to Swains Lock or Great Falls which are more interesting, but there is something I find really cool about the aqueduct, and it's nice and quiet up here.

Where are your favorite parts?

I used to hike Catoctin Mountain and Sugarloaf more, but the older and fatter I get, the more attractive the canal has become.  😏

Vince

Paw Paw tunnel is especially interesting , any of the aqueducts, and I've often visited the area between 4 locks and Fort Frederick.

I grew up in Central New York, almost in the shadow of the Erie Canal.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 Queen Elizabeth-Crystal Symphony combination that included trans-Asia flights with a side trip to Angkor Wat.  On April 6 was QE's last sea day before arrival in Southampton:

dawn0406.jpg

Roy

I have a sunset today, rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2018 Crystal 2-ship World Cruise.  On March 7 the Crystal Symphony was in Coquimbo, Chile:

dusk0407.jpg

Roy

13 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2017 5-ship combination.  On March 8, MS Zaandam visited Pisco, Peru:

dawn0408.jpg

Roy

Aaaahh...the Pacific at its most pacific.

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 3-ship Crystal/HAL combination (Symphony-Serenity-Amsterdam) combination Bali-Singapore-Cape Town-Ft. Lauderdale.  On April 9 MS Amsterdam was at sea from St. Helena to Ascension Island:

dawn0409.jpg

Roy

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Crystal 2-ship World Cruise.  On April 10 the Crystal Symphony was at sea from Iquique  to Pisco:

dawn0410.jpg

Roy

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 3-ship Crystal/HAL combination (Symphony-Serenity-Amsterdam) combination Bali-Singapore-Cape Town-Ft. Lauderdale.  On April 11 MS Amsterdam crossed the Equator after passing Ascension Island:

dawn0411.jpg

Roy

Today's sunrise is instead a sunset from my 2018 Crystal 2-ship World Cruise.  On April 12 the Crystal Symphony stayed overnight in Callau/Lima, Peru:

dusk04121.jpg

Roy

Today is the first sunrise from another trip.  I boarded the Celebrity Solstice for a Transatlantic April 15, 2012 but was in Fort Lauderdale on April 13:

dawn13-734477.jpg

Roy

Oh my.   The big, fat, really thick asparagus are coming into stores here.

Yes, yes, I know we're all aflutter about cruising resuming(yea!) and shots(double yea!)

But big, fat, really thick asparagus...

Early this month I posted a couple of photos from an Eastbound Queen Elizabeth transatlantic with a notation that I was going on to an Eastbound Crystal Symphony transpacific with an intermediate stop in Angkor Wat.  I never saw the sun come up in Angkor Wat and April 14 was Symphony's first sea day out of Kobe.

dawn414b.jpg

Roy

12 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Oh my.   The big, fat, really thick asparagus are coming into stores here.

Yes, yes, I know we're all aflutter about cruising resuming(yea!) and shots(double yea!)

But big, fat, really thick asparagus...

I feel like the timing might be a little auspicious...  Wouldn't the sturdier stalks pair better with the crunchy cicada bodies?  Or am I cooking my cicadas too al dente?  :classic_blush:

Vince

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I feel like the timing might be a little auspicious...  Wouldn't the sturdier stalks pair better with the crunchy cicada bodies?  Or am I cooking my cicadas too al dente?  :classic_blush:

Vince

Protip from the Chez: just smother it all in Hollandaise and you'll be fine.

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 Crystal Symphony/Serenity and Amsterdam combination.  On April 15 MS Amsterdam was supposed to be in Banjul, Gambia but was instead in Mindelo, Cape Verde due to the Ebola outbreak:

dawn0415.jpg

Roy

15 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Me: I have to admit, I prefer Kosher dill spears to Polish dill spears.

My mother, from the great beyond: I don't even know you any more.

OMG, I had a similar moment this week...  My mother and I used to debate about cottage cheese, which I've NEVER been a fan of, and she had with/for breakfast several days a week.  Wednesday I bought cottage cheese for the first time in my life.  I could literally feel my late mother smack me up side the head as I put it in the cart -- TWICE.

Vince

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

OMG, I had a similar moment this week...  My mother and I used to debate about cottage cheese, which I've NEVER been a fan of, and she had with/for breakfast several days a week.  Wednesday I bought cottage cheese for the first time in my life.  I could literally feel my late mother smack me up side the head as I put it in the cart -- TWICE.

TWICE:

Good for you. In times of doubt, just put both small and large curds in the cart. It’s been a rough enough year without having the added stress of having to make a choice between curd size. 🤔

Today's sunrise is taken over water but is about as far from the ocean as one can get.  It is from my 2003 circumnavigation of the world featuring the Trans Siberian Railroad but cut short by SARS.  On April 13 I woke up on the shores of Lake Baikal. 

wrld2480.jpg.8aad964aa438d9187f80e80dfe2

Roy

My last sunrise from my 2018 Crystal 2-ship World Cruise was taken during an overnight in port (Lima).  This one is as well, this time in Guayaquil:

dawn0416.jpg

Roy

Maybe things are slowly returning to normal: I've gone from "we're not cruising this year because there's no cruises" to "we're not cruising this year because there's no budget." (an oldie and a goodie) 

11 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Maybe things are slowly returning to normal: I've gone from "we're not cruising this year because there's no cruises" to "we're not cruising this year because there's no budget." (an oldie and a goodie) 

Ditto...  Though that hasn't stopped me from eyeing a Symphony sailing in December.  😇 We'll see this week how the numbers work out -- the lack of budget didn't stop me the last couple of times either...  Yet another sign of normal!

Vince

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Ditto...  Though that hasn't stopped me from eyeing a Symphony sailing in December.  😇 We'll see this week how the numbers work out -- the lack of budget didn't stop me the last couple of times either...  Yet another sign of normal!

Vince

We have a deposit down on a Serenity cruise departing August 2022.  In fact, I can tell you, without looking it up, that one year and four months from today, we departed Puerto Vallarta.  Also, we spent dinner tonight discussing where on the ship we'll be dining.  Yeah, we do that.