Jump to content

The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!


Host Dan
 Share

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

 

Well, I didn't remember that the shopping center was called Georgetown Square but, to the best of my knowledge, that Bethesda location was the last Ham Hamlet (gone for years now of course.)

 

   

Remember it?  I still shop there!  It's now called Balducci's.  Years ago the SPG folks acquired a small chain in NYC called Balducci's.  They felt that name had stronger brand recognition than SPG, so they migrated the DC locations to the new identity (including the location on New Mexico Av, which is still there.)  You probably remember the original incarnation was so ornate they had signs posted forbidding photography. Then, during one attempt at defining their Balducci's identity, they ripped all

that out and went with a warehouse/industrial look, featuring bare metal shelving deliberately laid out in a zig-zag pattern designed to make you traverse the entire store to find the five things you were looking for. It was soon known as the "rats maze" and was universally loathed.  I don't think that layout lasted a year. 

 

 

Yeah, lots of history around the old building, but not an aesthetic delight.  So queue up "All the President's Men" again.  You can revisit the old Post and Roy Roger's, all in one viewing.

 

And saddle up and get yourself down to Dauphine's.  The place is as gorgeous to the eye as the food is heaven on the tongue.  I started with a Sazerac, some oysters, and the evening got even better from there.  If you haven't already, check out the "References" section of their website.  They are dead serious about not coming off as a Disney version of the Big Easy. 

 

I can't remember when the Bethesda HamHam closed...  My last visit to the one in Rio was in 2010.  I think I've only been back in the whole Washingtonian Center complex twice since then too.  There's not much in there I need.

 

Funny you mentioned the New Mexico Ave. location -- for decades my mother's neurosurgeon's office was next door in Foxhall Square...  My mother only shopped at SPG/Balducci's for very special things (it was right in line with her taste but way out of her budget), but I think after the visits to the neurosurgeon it was easier to justify a small bag of treasures from SPG -- or at least my dad had a harder time complaining about it.  🙂  

 

The Post building was SO fugly...  The other thing I'm going to conditionally miss in that neighborhood is the Post Pub.  Not for the culinary memories, but for the atmosphere.  I don't know what it says about my job, but I think I had more work lunches and even business meetings in there than most of the respectable restaurants in the neighborhood.

 

 

From a food perspective, Dauphine's food reminds me a bit of Donald Link's for some reason...  Maybe a little more refined presentation than some of Link's restaurants, but much of the same style of prep and cooking.

 

Now I'm starving, just in time for dinner...

 

Vince

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did any of you go to Magic Pan.  There was one in Maryland; I believe Chevy Chase and Bethesda. We loved it and on the night I proposed at the Jefferson Memorial we drove over there for dinner.  I can't tell you what I at the other day for dinner but I know what I would often have there.  Start with Spinach Salad which had tomatoes and blue cheese dressing. Two crepes; mushroom and a spinach crepe.  Dessert was a Crepe with whipped cream and strawberries.  We also had one in Virginia at Seven Corners which we went to after moving to Northern Virginia After College.  Back in those days Crepes were popular.  There was a crepe place in Georgetown I called Maison de Crepes and there we would get onion soup topped with cheese and what else but crepes. 

 

Keith

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mskatiemae said:

 

You trying to make trouble? 😁

 

Seriously, battered deep-fried Chorizo, that's good eatin'.

 

And it just so happens I have a couple Brats doing the backstroke in the sous vide gizmo right this very moment.  Just finished sauteing (at the diner it's browning, at the Chez it's sauteing) green pepper and onions for OLoPP's toppings.  (I can get by with a little Dijon and sauerkraut, but the customer pays the bills.)

 

BTW, green, yellow, and red bell peppers are all the same vegetable, just at different degrees of ripeness.   This discovery hit me like a bolt of lightning.  Hey, I'm a cook, not a horticulturalist.

 

So anyway, a three day weekend, the Fourth of which happens in July, coming up here in the good old US of A, has me in a summer mood, food wise.

 

I'm going to smash some burgers.  There will be potato (or, as Dan Quayle says, potatoe) salad.  There'll be a steak (NY strip to stick with the theme.) And there will be ribs (can't take credit, coming in precooked from KCMO.)

 

There will also be my first ever batch of homemade chocolate chocolate-chip ice cream (Hooray for the Red White and Moo!)  Did you know they make chocolate ice cream just by adding chocolate to vanilla ice cream?  I admit, it's not like the bell pepper revelation, but still...

 

(And now, a brief PSA: most of the other threads you're about to peruse are 90% "let me speak to the manager." Sheesh.)

 

Stay cool everybody, especially you Pacific coasters.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am starting July with a sunset rather than a sunrise.  It was taken July 17, 2012 on Blount Small Ship Adventures Grande Caribe in Cuttyhunk, Massachusetts:

 

sunset17.JPG.6cbb1805cf553046886c2a30990

 

Roy

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I am starting July with a sunset rather than a sunrise.  It was taken July 17, 2012 on Blount Small Ship Adventures Grande Caribe in Cuttyhunk, Massachusetts:

 

sunset17.JPG.6cbb1805cf553046886c2a30990

 

Roy

When I was 5 years old, I sailed to Cuttyhunk with my grandfather on his small motor boat.  There were no structures visible at our landing spot.  We had a nice picnic.  Great memories!  Thanks for posting, Roy!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 2:14 AM, Keith1010 said:

Did any of you go to Magic Pan.  There was one in Maryland; I believe Chevy Chase and Bethesda. We loved it and on the night I proposed at the Jefferson Memorial we drove over there for dinner.  I can't tell you what I at the other day for dinner but I know what I would often have there.  Start with Spinach Salad which had tomatoes and blue cheese dressing. Two crepes; mushroom and a spinach crepe.  Dessert was a Crepe with whipped cream and strawberries.  We also had one in Virginia at Seven Corners which we went to after moving to Northern Virginia After College.  Back in those days Crepes were popular.  There was a crepe place in Georgetown I called Maison de Crepes and there we would get onion soup topped with cheese and what else but crepes. 

 

Keith

Keith I remember Magic Pan Chevy Chase well - favorite item was a fried gruyere crepe with a sweet mustard sauce.  I think it was in the same  building as one of the original Booeymongers at Friendship Heights - on the 2nd floor - Jennifer St. side.  Went to American University - 1975.  Also remember Hamburger Hamlet down the street on Wisconsin Ave, Armand's Pizza, Roy Roger's.  Back then some of the go to Restaurants (to impress dates) were, Dominique's (Dominique D'Ermo took a liking to me and I could always get the corner booth - Ruth Gordon one night plopped herself down at my table to "talk" and fine out who the pretty girl was - saw Liz Taylor in the private corner partitioned table.), Jaqueline's, Le Bagatelle Jean Pierre, Rive Gauche, Nathans, LaNicoise (waiters on Roller Skates - French Riviera beach style)  Annamarie's Italian (open real late), China Town restaurants - can't remember but they were always open very late for "munchies" Booeymongers was also the 2 in the morning "munchie" place along with Tastee Diner in Bethesda.  Too many place that just came swelling back into memory when you mentioned Magic Pan - all of 1970's Georgetown.  Oh one other place that was fun in Rockville - gangster theme - G.D. Graffiti - Waiters dress as mobsters - and you got your "just desserts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Keith I remember Magic Pan Chevy Chase well - favorite item was a fried gruyere crepe with a sweet mustard sauce.  I think it was in the same  building as one of the original Booeymongers at Friendship Heights - on the 2nd floor - Jennifer St. side.  Went to American University - 1975.  Also remember Hamburger Hamlet down the street on Wisconsin Ave, Armand's Pizza, Roy Roger's.  Back then some of the go to Restaurants (to impress dates) were, Dominique's (Dominique D'Ermo took a liking to me and I could always get the corner booth - Ruth Gordon one night plopped herself down at my table to "talk" and fine out who the pretty girl was - saw Liz Taylor in the private corner partitioned table.), Jaqueline's, Le Bagatelle Jean Pierre, Rive Gauche, Nathans, LaNicoise (waiters on Roller Skates - French Riviera beach style)  Annamarie's Italian (open real late), China Town restaurants - can't remember but they were always open very late for "munchies" Booeymongers was also the 2 in the morning "munchie" place along with Tastee Diner in Bethesda.  Too many place that just came swelling back into memory when you mentioned Magic Pan - all of 1970's Georgetown.  Oh one other place that was fun in Rockville - gangster theme - G.D. Graffiti - Waiters dress as mobsters - and you got your "just desserts. 

All great memories.  You graduated two years before I did.  

 

We enjoyed Booeymongers.  We'd have sandwiches and a dessert.

 

Sometimes we would walk to a place that served breakfast late at night.  Maybe called the Waffle House.  I think off Wisconsin Avenue and supposedly the people working there were former convicts.

 

Never made it to Rive Gauche but knew some people who made it there for a special night.

 

Went to a few places off the water.  I think one was called Hogate's and there were two more we went to but can't remember the names.

 

Another solution for munchies was ordering from subs from Georgetown.  I think it was called Blimpie's.  Not sure if it is around today.

 

My wife and I returned to WDC in 2017 as part of our 40th wedding anniversary celebration.  AU was so different than when we went there including all the buildings off campus.

 

Most of the restaurants we remember were gone which was sad. I think one we went to early on was 1776 in Georgetown.  

 

For Beer some of us went to Old Stein but not sure if that is around.  

 

Do you remember The Tavern at AU?  Back then they would have mugs or pitchers of beer and Lancer's Wine.  Favorites included a Reuben and they had Hamburgers and a DJ on the weekends.  Went by there in 2017 but they don't serve alcohol given most students are technically not the age to drink.  

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

All great memories.  You graduated two years before I did.  

 

 Maybe called the Waffle House.  I think off Wisconsin Avenue and supposedly the people working there were former convicts.

 

I think one was called Hogate's and there were two more we went to but can't remember the names.

 

Another solution for munchies was ordering from subs from Georgetown.  I think it was called Blimpie's.  Not sure if it is around today.

 

Do you remember The Tavern at AU?  Back then they would have mugs or pitchers of beer and Lancer's Wine.  

Keith

Actually I graduated in 1979 - started in 1975 so you did graduate before me.  I was in McDowell and Anderson hall.  Waffle House - yes I remember - convict employees or so the legend said.  Yes Blimpies - they delivered to the dorms at all hours.  Hogates and 2 other waterfront places - lasted into the 90's I think. The AU tavern - I am in one of the infamous Yearbook tavern pictures - dead center - during a rowdy night. Yes then it was 18 - many nights worshiping the porcelain god. Could not swallow gin for 40 years after all those dorm parties.  Haven't had a taste for gin until I recently discovered Henricks cucumber cocktails.  Ah teenage years - then went on to a career in the Foreign Service for  33 years, 10 posts and visiting 100 countries.  Your Magic Pan comment jarred those pre "diplomatic" memories loose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Actually I graduated in 1979 - started in 1975 so you did graduate before me.  I was in McDowell and Anderson hall.  Waffle House - yes I remember - convict employees or so the legend said.  Yes Blimpies - they delivered to the dorms at all hours.  Hogates and 2 other waterfront places - lasted into the 90's I think. The AU tavern - I am in one of the infamous Yearbook tavern pictures - dead center - during a rowdy night. Yes then it was 18 - many nights worshiping the porcelain god. Could not swallow gin for 40 years after all those dorm parties.  Haven't had a taste for gin until I recently discovered Henricks cucumber cocktails.  Ah teenage years - then went on to a career in the Foreign Service for  33 years, 10 posts and visiting 100 countries.  Your Magic Pan comment jarred those pre "diplomatic" memories loose.

I was in Leonard first year and Anderson for Sophomore and Junior Years.  Was on that 6th floor which at the time was experimental.  It had either four or eight person rooms with movable furniture, large kitchen and lounge where you could cook and adjacent rooms alternated male/female.  My wife was on that floor both years too.  I was in McDowell summer between Junior and Senior year as I ran Freshman Orientation and they provided a room at no charge for the Summer.  Those were the days.  

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another surprise sunrise this morning.  I just happened to catch the sun coming up over the Crystal Serenity and Adventure of the Seas:

 

dawn03.JPG.e9644bdbfeed66360dc274a04d41321c.JPG

 

Roy

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's photo is another sunset from my 2012 Blount New England Islands cruise.  It was taken July 19 when we were visiting Martha's Vineyard:

 

dusk19.JPG.2741595b4125e3a44a9062813a95b

 

Roy

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over the years I've done well with sunrise photos on July 19.  When that date comes I'll post my earliest July 19 photo but today I'm posting the most recent, taken July 19, 2018 from MS Volendam in British Columbia's Inside Passage:

 

dawn0719.jpg

 

Roy

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another unexpected sunrise.  This is from Crystal Serenity Panaflex camera this morning.  The ship will be calling at Great Exuma today:

 

dawn0706panaflex.thumb.JPG.7bc3332fa9334bb14486b5f5ee471977.JPG

 

Roy

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So there are some folks on Serenity who are mildly disappointed they couldn't get lobster.  Well, today I had a hankerin' for a Reuben for lunch, so I made a quick trip to the grocer and:

 

THEY WERE OUT OF CORNED BEEF!

 

Deli guy says they haven't had it for a week.  What is going on here?  Is corned beef the toilet paper of 2021?  I'm calling my representative.

 

Anyway, I got the pastrami. A cook has to know how to improvise.  

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

So there are some folks on Serenity who are mildly disappointed they couldn't get lobster.  Well, today I had a hankerin' for a Reuben for lunch, so I made a quick trip to the grocer and:

 

THEY WERE OUT OF CORNED BEEF!

 

Deli guy says they haven't had it for a week.  What is going on here?  Is corned beef the toilet paper of 2021?  I'm calling my representative.

 

Anyway, I got the pastrami. A cook has to know how to improvise.  


You know what? I think it was somebody who isn’t even onboard yet, disappointed about the prospect of a cruise with no lobster. But they fretted for naught, as they WILL most likely be able to get lobster. Alas, frozen rather than fresh!

 

I do love your Reuben story. Actually, every once in a while, I’ve had a Reuben at the Trident, or shared one with Mr B.
 

Do you bake your own rye bread? Around our neck o’ the woods, we sometimes order a grouper Reuben. Ain’t life grand? We are so very fortunate.

Edited by May B
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, May B said:


You know what? I think it was somebody who isn’t even onboard yet, disappointed about the prospect of a cruise with no lobster. But they fretted for naught, as they WILL most likely be able to get lobster. Alas, frozen rather than fresh!

 

I do love your Reuben story. Actually, every once in a while, I’ve had a Reuben at the Trident, or shared one with Mr B.
 

Do you bake your own rye bread? Around our neck o’ the woods, we sometimes order a grouper Reuben. Ain’t life grand? We are so very fortunate.

Oh MayB that grouper Reubens sounds delicious! Yes we are very fortunate.

 

Now Mr Chez, I do just opt for pastrami from the get-go on my Reubens. I also had delicious Reubens on the Mozart where they managed to make them for me with gluten-free rye bread and goat cheese (due to celiac and allergies). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...