The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Whew!

It's just a rotten cold.

So, last weeks OLoPP's *%$&#! boss insisted she attend a two day in person group meeting. No masks, but everyone was vaxed.

Couple days later she developed the sniffles, by the following day, she felt pretty lousy (congestion, sore throat, no aches and pains though.) 

After three days of this, I nagged her into the car and got her to a drive thru testing site.  Results are negative.  Like I said, whew.

Anyone notice how there was virtually no flu season last winter (in NA)?

Yeah, masks work.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Whew!

It's just a rotten cold.

So, last weeks OLoPP's *%$&#! boss insisted she attend a two day in person group meeting. No masks, but everyone was vaxed.

Couple days later she developed the sniffles, by the following day, she felt pretty lousy (congestion, sore throat, no aches and pains though.) 

After three days of this, I nagged her into the car and got her to a drive thru testing site.  Results are negative.  Like I said, whew.

Anyone notice how there was virtually no flu season last winter (in NA)?

Yeah, masks work.

I hear colds will be big this year as our immune systems lost some of their power with all the mask wearing.  I do want to get exposed to some colds and ramp up my immune system sometime but this is not the time for that.

Roy

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I hear colds will be big this year as our immune systems lost some of their power with all the mask wearing.  I do want to get exposed to some colds and ramp up my immune system sometime but this is not the time for that.

Roy

Drop by any time Roy.  I know someone who can help you with that.😁

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, KenzSailing said:

I don't know if CC has an upper limit on the number of entries a poster can have on their "ignore user" list but, as they say in Texas, I'm fixin' to find out.

I think I missed something!

Heck, I didn’t even know there was an “ignore user” list.

And just to change the subject, that whole tomahawk steak thing is a puzzlement to the cook at my house. Is it just the aesthetics of it, or is it actually better-tasting?

16 minutes ago, May B said:

I think I missed something!

Heck, I didn’t even know there was an “ignore user” list.

And just to change the subject, that whole tomahawk steak thing is a puzzlement to the cook at my house. Is it just the aesthetics of it, or is it actually better-tasting?

May,

Well, not knowing about "ignore user" makes you a better person than I(not a high bar.)

As to the tomahawk, yes it's purely aesthetic.  The butcher leaves another 6 to 8 inches off the rib bone  from a rib eye steak still attached.  It's pretty much a summer on the grill thing.  Think Fred Flintstone(um, me like fire!)  I was just tickled that I could get the bone engraved.  Imagine a steak for two plopped on the table with a bone in that read "Chez Kens." 

Hey, a cook can dream.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

May,

Well, not knowing about "ignore user" makes you a better person than I(not a high bar.)

As to the tomahawk, yes it's purely aesthetic.  The butcher leaves another 6 to 8 inches off the rib bone  from a rib eye steak still attached.  It's pretty much a summer on the grill thing.  Think Fred Flintstone(um, me like fire!)  I was just tickled that I could get the bone engraved.  Imagine a steak for two plopped on the table with a bone in that read "Chez Kens." 

Hey, a cook can dream.

Aside from the fact the day when I could eat a whole steak that size are long gone, the thing that puzzles me about them is why anyone would pay for 8 inches of bare rib bone??? Especially at the price of beef these days, at least here in Canada!😲

• Like 6

12 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Imagine a steak for two plopped on the table with a bone in that read "Chez Kens." 

Hey, a cook can dream.

Where do I reserve my spot at the table? 🥩

Does Chez Kenz have an app? 

• Like 2

I do not have a photo for July 30 so I am going to July 25, 2005 and my multimodal trip from Yellowknife to Chicago and home.  On July 25 I was on Blount's Grande Caribe cruising the Great Lakes from Duluth, stopping for the day in Munsing, Michigan:

ytgl090.jpg.6eb2f1d1b9d77275e02218469182

Roy

• Like 4

I don't have a sunrise for August 2 so I am going to August 7.  It's from my 2008 Rovos trip Dar Es Salaam to Cape Town.  Dreading the idea of a long flight home from Cape Town I only flew as far as London and returned the rest of the way on QM2.  This is the sun coming up from QM2 as we were about to dock in Brooklyn:

IMG_1164.JPG.9df58414f959cc7fc7b9b4001fd

Roy

• Like 4