The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

15 hours ago, drib said:

Yes, that was the crepe restaurant I drew a blank on above. Now I can sleep at night - although I'm still working on the restaurant in a church. (Maybe I conflated that with the Old Spaghetti Factory, which was often in nice old buildings.) Still searching for that - like searching for Bobby Fischer, who was also a Pasadena landmark, albeit a deranged one, but in the 80s, I think.

I found this beautiful mcm-image while looking for something else:

pasadena.jpg

As long as you went farther east, I think there was a Kaplans Deli in the Arcadia Mall - nothing special, but okay after a day at the races. Or visiting the Arboretum was very nice.

Speaking of very nice, there was the Huntington Hotel (the Huntington-Sheraton in our day). And, of course, also Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino. I'm particularly pleased that the area can always lay claim to this guy:

00737_000034577_thomas_gainsborough_pain

That's actually my photo, from 2009 - I just cropped it to make it look nice. I don't own many photos from the 70s, but I did scrounge up some scans of photos from an early (90s) Doo Dah Parade:

00999_000029704_doo-dah_parade_briefcase

00999_000029700_doo-dah_parade_scooter_d

00999_000029706_doo-dah_parade_crust_too

Ahhh,  the good old days, when the Little Ol’ Lady from Pasadena had her choice of Bullocks, I. Magnin, Robinsons, Buffums, the May Company, and the Broadway.  Now Macy’s has bought out everyone and there is no more choice or competition.  Snifff!  ☹️

The Huntington Sheraton has been rebuilt to current seismic codes and is now the lovely Langham.  The junior suites on the club floor have great views of the gardens, and my friends stay there on their annual visit to LA.

IMHO the best thing to do in the greater LA area is to visit the Huntington Library and Gardens.  My perfect day (after an overnight at the Langham) is to spend the the morning in the Huntington gardens in the cool part of the day.  The new Chinese Garden is one of the largest in the world outside of China, and if you haven’t been to the Huntington in recent years it is well worth a return.  Next meander through the Japanese Garden, and don’t miss the bonsai exhibit in the upper levels.  Wander through the Rose Garden and then have tea in the lovely tea room.  In the afternoon when temperatures are higher visit the library and the three art museums.  There is so much variety at the Huntington!  There is something for everyone.

https://www.huntington.org/visit

It always surprises me that so many people head straight to Beverly Hills for their pre-Crystal cruise stay.  Yes, there are fine hotels, restaurants, and high end shopping there, but they don’t really set LA apart from what one could find elsewhere.  I would rather have an experience that is unique to LA.

• Like 3

On 7/13/2021 at 12:27 AM, drib said:

Oh no, May B, it wasn't Hidden Valley. I just like that video.

Thousand Island is sometimes a little barfy-looking. (I bet you're sorry you asked now.) Russian dressing is much more orange-y, almost red. ... I think the pleasantly orange dressing I've been using is Wish Bone.

The choice of sauerkraut is probably more critical, but I'm not planning on shopping until Friday, so I'll see what they have. The rye bread is pretty important too. (My mother and I used to fight over who got the heel of the rye bread, so you can see, this is serious business for me.) It might not be too late to order the bread from that Omaha NE bakery, though - the crust looks great in the photo.

Hmmmm, so you led me astray! I thought (obviously mistakenly) that the video was there to help me guess it, lol.

I really love how you find great sources for the best yummy stuff, and that delivery is available. 

On 7/13/2021 at 9:14 AM, ctjon said:

New Yorker's aren't picky they just know what tastes best.   I remember there was a Pizza place in LA that advertised that they imported water from NYC so their pizza dough was great tasting.😀

I’ve heard that here in Tampa, too. I guess it’s a popular marketing strategy!

We like Lombardo’s in NYC. Or is it Lombardi’s?

• Like 1

OK.  That's it.

Enough is enough.

Last time there was no corned beef.  Today:

THEY WERE OUT OF BRATWURST!

There is obviously a processed meat conspiracy afoot.  How do I know?  Easy, no one's talking about it online.  This can only mean they've been silenced by the processed meat conspirators (PMCs.)

But I'm on to them.

They just better keep their hands off my kielbasa.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

OK.  That's it.

Enough is enough.

Last time there was no corned beef.  Today:

THEY WERE OUT OF BRATWURST!

There is obviously a processed meat conspiracy afoot.  How do I know?  Easy, no one's talking about it online.  This can only mean they've been silenced by the processed meat conspirators (PMCs.)

But I'm on to them.

They just better keep their hands off my kielbasa.

I blame Big Broccoli.  No one thinks they're a powerful force in food marketing and distribution, but that's just how insidious and effective they are.

Vince

• Like 1

Today's sunrise is from a 2005 multimodal (Air, rail, bus, and small ship) to the Canadian North and the great lakes.  On July 17 I was on the Canadian from Edmonton to Winnipeg and the rising sun reflected against the side of the train in Saskatoon.

ytgl021.jpg.dc65de80ff260c910cfe181ebb41

Roy

• Like 4

For today I have another sunrise from the Crystal Serenity Panaflex camera.  It was taken this morning as the ship prepared for the inaugural cruise ship docking in Bimini.

dawnbimini0718.thumb.JPG.aa79bb277d83b015b846b0adf71e0d31.JPG

Roy

• Like 5

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Grand Alaska-Panama cruise starting with Alaska on Volendam, land, and Westerdam and continuing on Crystal Symphony through the Panama Canal to New York.  On July 20 I toured the Tracy Arm Fjord from the Volendam:

dawn0720.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

I have a sunset today, not a sunrise.  It's from my 2007 upper Amazon cruise, taken shortly after boarding La Amatista in Iquitos 14 years ago today.

IMG_0127.thumb.JPG.1b1789a6a9210926d3af1

Roy

• Like 9

Today's sunrise is another from my 2007 upper Amazon Cruise on La Amatista.  On July 24 we were approaching the midpoint of the cruise portion.

IMG_0788.JPG.d7dbf6476de4508894183dd00e4

Roy

• Like 4

I have discovered that Pat LaFreida meat processors of New Jersey are selling a 40 oz tomahawk steak available with CUSTOM ENGRAVING ON THE LONG BONE.  Why do the meat gods tempt me so? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2008 Rovos Rail epic journey from Dar es Salaam to Cape Town.  It was taken from the train July 25, 2008 as we approached Pretoria.

IMG_1123.JPG.fb6c04372a892fec3c86e3b78eb

Roy

• Like 3

Whew!

It's just a rotten cold.

So, last weeks OLoPP's *%$&#! boss insisted she attend a two day in person group meeting. No masks, but everyone was vaxed.

Couple days later she developed the sniffles, by the following day, she felt pretty lousy (congestion, sore throat, no aches and pains though.) 

After three days of this, I nagged her into the car and got her to a drive thru testing site.  Results are negative.  Like I said, whew.

Anyone notice how there was virtually no flu season last winter (in NA)?

Yeah, masks work.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Whew!

It's just a rotten cold.

So, last weeks OLoPP's *%$&#! boss insisted she attend a two day in person group meeting. No masks, but everyone was vaxed.

Couple days later she developed the sniffles, by the following day, she felt pretty lousy (congestion, sore throat, no aches and pains though.) 

After three days of this, I nagged her into the car and got her to a drive thru testing site.  Results are negative.  Like I said, whew.

Anyone notice how there was virtually no flu season last winter (in NA)?

Yeah, masks work.

I hear colds will be big this year as our immune systems lost some of their power with all the mask wearing.  I do want to get exposed to some colds and ramp up my immune system sometime but this is not the time for that.

Roy

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I hear colds will be big this year as our immune systems lost some of their power with all the mask wearing.  I do want to get exposed to some colds and ramp up my immune system sometime but this is not the time for that.

Roy

Drop by any time Roy.  I know someone who can help you with that.😁

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, KenzSailing said:

I don't know if CC has an upper limit on the number of entries a poster can have on their "ignore user" list but, as they say in Texas, I'm fixin' to find out.

I think I missed something!

Heck, I didn’t even know there was an “ignore user” list.

And just to change the subject, that whole tomahawk steak thing is a puzzlement to the cook at my house. Is it just the aesthetics of it, or is it actually better-tasting?

16 minutes ago, May B said:

I think I missed something!

Heck, I didn’t even know there was an “ignore user” list.

And just to change the subject, that whole tomahawk steak thing is a puzzlement to the cook at my house. Is it just the aesthetics of it, or is it actually better-tasting?

May,

Well, not knowing about "ignore user" makes you a better person than I(not a high bar.)

As to the tomahawk, yes it's purely aesthetic.  The butcher leaves another 6 to 8 inches off the rib bone  from a rib eye steak still attached.  It's pretty much a summer on the grill thing.  Think Fred Flintstone(um, me like fire!)  I was just tickled that I could get the bone engraved.  Imagine a steak for two plopped on the table with a bone in that read "Chez Kens." 

Hey, a cook can dream.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1