Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
N7786W Flyer

Carnival Now Says They Expect 13 Ships To Leave Their Fleet

Recommended Posts

Yikes. I'm sure we will lose at least a couple of Fantasy class ships here. Fantasy and Fascination, perhaps? Especially since the latter has no sailings until late 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, stormy_weatherman said:

Yikes. I'm sure we will lose at least a couple of Fantasy class ships here. Fantasy and Fascination, perhaps? Especially since the latter has no sailings until late 2021.

Just keep in mind it is the corporation, not just CCL.   Some of the newer may be easier to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a similar thread about this issue:

it went from 6 ships now to 13..thats not good

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Just keep in mind it is the corporation, not just CCL.   Some of the newer may be easier to sell.

 

Of course. 13 of the 27 would be dire for CCL. I think the newer bring in more revenue given their size and appeal; so for CCL at least, I could see the older ships going first. Perhaps even the Victory, if it continues to lay up in dry dock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been reported many times that it is over the entire company, not just CCL ships being retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shof515 said:

it went from 6 ships now to 13..thats not good

 

While any disposal of a functional ship makes me a little sad, I don't think it's all that bad - at least compared to what we've already heard.

 

According to the announcement:

 

  • 1 was sold in June.  I assume this was the Costa Victoria.
  • 5 have agreements to be "disposed of".  I recently heard about the P&O Oceana; I assume this one is in this group.
  • 3 have preliminary agreements to be "disposed of".  I haven't heard anything about any of these.
  • 4 were sales announced prior to FY 2020.  I could probably find them, but I'm too lazy.  A little help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The airlines are doing the same thing, shrinking their fleets and furloughing pilots and crew. I think it's a normal business practice in shaky times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

 

While any disposal of a functional ship makes me a little sad, I don't think it's all that bad - at least compared to what we've already heard.

 

According to the announcement:

 

  • 1 was sold in June.  I assume this was the Costa Victoria.
  • 5 have agreements to be "disposed of".  I recently heard about the P&O Oceana; I assume this one is in this group.
  • 3 have preliminary agreements to be "disposed of".  I haven't heard anything about any of these.
  • 4 were sales announced prior to FY 2020.  I could probably find them, but I'm too lazy.  A little help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

 

A little more info...

 

Carnival said these agreements are in addition to the sale of four ships, which were announced prior to fiscal 2020. These ships are presumed to be the Pacific Aria and Pacific Dawn, which will transfer to Cruise & Maritime Voyages, as well as the Costa Atlantica and Costa Mediterranea, which have been sold into a Carnival's joint venture with China State Shipbuilding Corporation. 

 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23218-carnival-corporation-to-sell-13-cruise-ships.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.carnivalplc.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-provides-business-update-and-0 

 

That is the full  business update that was released today with #'s. 

 

Like was said.. this needs to be taken into account this isn't for Carnival Cruise Lines, but for Carnival PLC. As for the 13 ships that are leaving, that is out of 104 ships. They also had I believe (though not 100% sure) 15 NEW ships over all coming before 2023. While the update says they will be delayed, it looks like company wide they are still actually going to be adding 2 ships overall so I would bet $ that removing some of these ships was more than thought about before this all even happened in the world.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an album, this would be "Arnold Donald Sings the Greatest Hits of Schettino."

 

Nevertheless, CCL's Covid Science Summit might prove worthwhile. More & more it looks like CLIA and its members finally abandoning the strategy of "this will all go away like a miracle."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it interesting that Carnival Inspiration has left behind Carnival Imagination and Miracle with storage in Panama City recently as it appears to be floating southeast now along the northern coast of Venezuela. Could the Inspiration be headed toward disposal/salvage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I look at the Inspiration movement, the more it looks like it is being removed from Carnival's fleet as there is little reason for that ship to be traversing the southern Caribbean unless it is headed for a new owner/salvage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 13 ships they expect to leave are just what is coming in the next 90 days per the web call. I expect even more beyond 90 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

The more I look at the Inspiration movement, the more it looks like it is being removed from Carnival's fleet as there is little reason for that ship to be traversing the southern Caribbean unless it is headed for a new owner/salvage.

One of the trackers says Curaçao is her destination, I wonder if it’s to pick up fuel for a run across the pond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, aquasea said:

Can't see article. Can you copy and paste it, anyone?

 

 

turn off ad blockers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 Ships in Total:

 

Previously announced ships: Costa Atlantica, Mediterranea, Pacific Aria and Pacific Dawn

 

Costa Victoria and Oceana, plus 3 unnamed and now 2-3 more have agreements reached. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

One of the trackers says Curaçao is her destination, I wonder if it’s to pick up fuel for a run across the pond.

 

Not looking good for Inspiration, especially given duplicate itinerary with Imagination out of Long Beach and some overlap with Miracle out of San Diego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...