Ships to sail at reduced capacity until AT LEAST 2022

Sandals food is fabulous. 7 full service restaurants, all miles above the MDR. Don't get me wrong, we love cruising, just a completely different vacation. With Covid, we feel more comfortable with 100's of acres and 400 guests, plenty of room to spread out and social distance, impossible on a cruise ship. Their pools are 1/3 of size of the ship

9 hours ago, sanger727 said:

If they do try to sail with reduced capacity, I agree that from a business standpoint it makes a lot more sense for them to encourage solo cruisers and discourage bookings with more than 2 per room. It wouldn’t be ‘paying double’ or a penalty. If you book 4 to a room you still pay for passengers 3 and 4. The discount of the 3rd and 4th passenger has always varied by cruise. And on occasion they charged more for the 3rd and 4th passenger as they get close to capacity. It does seem likely that the 3rd and 4th passenger discount would likely be a thing of the past (same as how solo cruiser discounts used to be common and are less common now). So, no, I don’t think they will prevent you from booking 4 in a cabin. But passengers 1 and 2 will be $600 each and passengers 3 and 4 may be $700 each. Then it quickly makes sense to book two rooms, unless your children are too young to be in their own room.

I have never seen it more expensive to book 3rd and 4th in a cabin.  If it comes to that I will find another vacation option.  The reason I like cruising is it has always been less expensive than land based vacations.  This is actually a fact and not an opinion.

7 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

Think of it like airline tickets. Each butt in a seat costs money because that is a seat that can't be sold if someone is sitting in it for free. With reduced capacity on ships, having 2 kids in a room for free takes away a spot for 2 paying adults because the cap is based on total occupancy of the ship. 

And just because someone can fit in your room doesn't mean it should be free to do so, especially now. Each additional child is an extra person taking up a now more limited seat on Lido, space in the pool, space in the pee..I mean hot tub...another person in line at the buffet, more linens to wash, more trash to throw away,etc. 

If I want to bring adult friends, it costs money no matter where they sleep. Having a family is fine and is the social norm, but vacations cost money and parents should be prepared to pay for each child

I will not be cruising if this is the case.  The whole reason I cruise is because it is affordable.  This will make it unaffordable so I will quit cruising until it is affordable again.  I am not going to be a guinea pig for the virus anyway so by the time I get back on a ship this will probably be a moot point.

36 minutes ago, skridge said:

I have never seen it more expensive to book 3rd and 4th in a cabin.  If it comes to that I will find another vacation option.  The reason I like cruising is it has always been less expensive than land based vacations.  This is actually a fact and not an opinion.

It’s unusual but has happened, especially for holidays or summer time when they have many families booking. At the end of the day the passenger price is the passenger price and if they discount 3Rd and 4th it’s just that, a discount. They do it to encourage bookings. If they find themselves with plenty of bookings then there is less incentive for them to offer discounts. Yes, it’s entirely possible for cruising to become less affordable moving forward if they do sail at reduced capacity.

1 hour ago, skridge said:

We just booked the Conquest for 10/12, and the third and fourth were $10/per plus taxes and port charges.  

5 minutes ago, skridge said:

In my opinion that is a borderline fraudulent way for Carnival to get an interest free loan.  They have to know that they are not going to be sailing out of the US in October.  I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

A lot of people booking October cruises now are playing the FCC, OBC game. It is a 159 dollar cruise, if it cancels then they can apply it toward a later cruise and hopefully get the OBC.

1 minute ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

A lot of people booking October cruises now are playing the FCC, OBC game. It is a 159 dollar cruise, if it cancels then they can apply it toward a later cruise and hopefully get the OBC.

....or it sails

6 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

In my opinion it is a dangerous game to play with a company that has no way of making money in the foreseeable future.  

22 hours ago, skridge said:

I don't think it is reasonable to make families pay double for there vacation.  That is just my opinion.

As another solo paying double it's hard to feel bad that families would have to pay one regular fare for each person.

I'm looking at prices for a 7 day fall 2021 for one pax over 1k for even a 1A

4 hours ago, coevan said:

uh? not a solution, just an alternative. When I bring up A.I. the first thing people say is how expensive they are, crunching the numbers if you cruise and buy all the goodies, i.e internet, drink packages and such, the prices are much closer than you might think

We looked at an all inclusive to replace a carnival cruise just out of curiosity since we are worried about carnival canceling.  The carnival cruise is about $4500.  The all inclusives we were finding were in the $12000 range!  No way. 

Edited by Cafedumonde
4 hours ago, coevan said:

Why are you ignoring A.I. properties? Liquor free, internet free, satellite TV (with real channels) activities all day, free snorkeling, diving, water skiing, wake boards, have you ever been?

P.S tipping is not allowed, saving more money

I dont look at those land vacations as a solo. I live alone. Doesnt sound fun for a romantic get away for one person. I want a cruise to be among other people. I enjoy making friends on the ship. 

I too ask for one cleaning a day. Try to not make the cabin steward lose money and time because I'm a solo pax.

11 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

We looked at an all inclusive to replace a carnival cruise just out of curiosity since we are worried about carnival canceling.  The carnival cruise is about $4500.  The all inclusives we were finding were in the $12000 range!  No way. 

No way is correct, never paid more than 5K a week even at Sandals. !2K will get you an over the water bungalow with a butler. I think your stretching. We have been to at least 10 A.I resorts. D.R. and Mexico are close to cruises cruise pricing., Caribbean a little more and a little nicer

21 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Not necessarily. I buy cheers and internet every cruise. I eat in specialty restaurants. I book excursions through carnival. I bet I spend more than a lot of couples.

I only ask for 1 room cleaning a day and I tip extra to make up for the lack of another set of gratuities.

I'd bet a lot of solos book excursions thru the cruise line as most of the private excursions costs are based on multiple people going. 

So carnival probably gets a lot more excursions booked by solos than families that arent newbies.

20 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

here you go and the lesser priced rooms are sold out, too lazy to look at other dates. These are club level pool walk out, really nice rooms

https://obe.sandals.com/room-details/?subSessionId=3B709030DF2278A9D13704E1A10A5577111050674D49243D7629D327DC4AF6EB

Edited by coevan
sp
1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

I have over 5k in fcc, so I booked in hopes  they will sail for two reasons.  First, it was a deal, a great deal.  Second, I really want to be on a cruise ship again.  Some say Florida is to much of a hot spot (it is a hot spot now, in 3 months, who knowS). .  Disney is open with conditions, islands are open with conditions, cruise ships can be as well.  

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have over 5k in fcc, so I booked in hopes  they will sail for two reasons.  First, it was a deal, a great deal.  Second, I really want to be on a cruise ship again.  Some say Florida is to much of a hot spot (it is a hot spot now, in 3 months, who knowS). .  Disney is open with conditions, islands are open with conditions, cruise ships can be as well.  

I like the way you think Jimbo! 👍

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I didn't mean you specifically about the OBC game.

59 minutes ago, coevan said:

here you go and the lesser priced rooms are sold out, too lazy to look at other dates. These are club level pool walk out, really nice rooms

https://obe.sandals.com/room-details/?subSessionId=3B709030DF2278A9D13704E1A10A5577111050674D49243D7629D327DC4AF6EB

I will definitely look again later tonight.  I was pretty shocked at the prices.

5 hours ago, coevan said:

Why are you ignoring A.I. properties? Liquor free, internet free, satellite TV (with real channels) activities all day, free snorkeling, diving, water skiing, wake boards, have you ever been?

P.S tipping is not allowed, saving more money

Sorry to jump in on your Conversation with others but we have no interest in A.I's.. Cruising is tje Best deal and offers the most IMHO.  Best day ever for me was when I broken down many years ago and took my wife to a very nice all inclusive in St Lucia and on day two at breakfast she begrudgingly looked at me and said we should have done a cruise. The battle had been won. Haven't done once since and approach Diamond status quickly... 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

As another solo paying double it's hard to feel bad that families would have to pay one regular fare for each person.

I'm looking at prices for a 7 day fall 2021 for one pax over 1k for even a 1A

It would be nice to have all that room as a single rather than 5 crammed in a room like sardines, but I choose that to get a good deal and we are hardly in the room anyway.  I guess cruising is not going to be an option for me until they stop the reduced capacity.  Not really a big deal since I decided I was not going to make my family a cruising virus guinea pig.

4 hours ago, outdoors27 said:

Sorry to jump in on your Conversation with others but we have no interest in A.I's.. Cruising is tje Best deal and offers the most IMHO.  Best day ever for me was when I broken down many years ago and took my wife to a very nice all inclusive in St Lucia and on day two at breakfast she begrudgingly looked at me and said we should have done a cruise. The battle had been won. Haven't done once since and approach Diamond status quickly... 

at least she gave it a chance.🙂

5 hours ago, coevan said:

if i recall you are going for a wedding in December? When my son got married at Southcoast it was the best. The only thing that got me was no lobster. It was on the menu online but when we got there they said they weren't allowed to catch lobster at the time of the year (May) because they were laying their eggs.

It didn't phase me for long as I had a nice steak dinner on the beach. This was in 2017 and we paid $3600 plus airfare. Would love to go back.

Another nice touch was their lounge at the airport. Free flowing beer on tap. 😉

Edited by Illbcruzn4life
On 7/10/2020 at 8:53 PM, xDisconnections said:

F&B offerings are extremely common in the lodging industry. Whether it is a club lounge, a $100 F&B credit for your loyalty (Loews YouFirst)or an MEO/LPR rate that includes F&B credit or alcohol/food amenity, it’s pretty standard.

It's only "pretty standard" or "extremely common" as you stated for those traveling on the company dime or who have deep enough pockets to stay in one of the top 20% of hotels that provide F&B credits or alcohol/food amenities.

You do realize that the majority of hotel accommodations in the US do not have a bar or a restaurant in them, let alone offer an included amenity package.  Sounds kind of snooty for someone posting on a Carnival thread.

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's only "pretty standard" or "extremely common" as you stated for those traveling on the company dime or who have deep enough pockets to stay in one of the top 20% of hotels that provide F&B credits or alcohol/food amenities.

You do realize that the majority of hotel accommodations in the US do not have a bar or a restaurant in them, let alone offer an included amenity package.  Sounds kind of snooty for someone posting on a Carnival thread.

I’m well aware, thanks.

You don’t have to be staying as a business transient for amenities.

Edited by xDisconnections