Jump to content

COVID-19 related discussions


Paulchili
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

As has been suggested by Lyn, this may be the proper place to discuss any topic related to COVID-19 rather than mixing it into other threads.

But why on Oceania rather than Ask a Cruise Question? Are there COVID issues specific to Oceania or any other line?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Living in California like Paul we are basically locked in and looking toward the future I have 3 cruises booked and are hoping at least one will go..love talking to people on the phone about future and past trips..keeping my fingers crossed..Got a phone call (automatic) from Carnival offering me a free 7 day cruise..I should have listened but I was busy so I hung up..interesting..

Jancruz1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, clo said:

But why on Oceania rather than Ask a Cruise Question? Are there COVID issues specific to Oceania or any other line?

I believe the idea was instead of almost every Oceania topic morphing into a discussion of COVID-19 that a COVID-19 topic be started and then those people that want to discuss COVID-19 issues on the Oceania board can read/post here and the other topics related to Oceania cruising can stay on topic...

Edited by basor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

we have been in lock down mode more or less since March  & slowly opening up  places 

So far in our area  we did not have many affected   1  nursing home got hit with the virus

 a lot of people stayed home wore masks when out in public

there was only take out dining available & our beaches are still closed

Schools have been closed   since march break with online learning  available

playgrounds were closed 

most people keeping their distance 

Most seem to take the outbreak seriously   but there are always some that like to push the envelope

 

We are still keeping  a low profile  & glad we live in a more country setting 

 

Keep well

stay safe

Lyn

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, clo said:

But why on Oceania rather than Ask a Cruise Question? Are there COVID issues specific to Oceania or any other line?

9 minutes ago, basor said:

I believe the idea was instead of almost every Oceania topic morphing into a discussion of COVID-19 that a COVID-19 topic be started and then those people that want to discuss COVID-19 issues on the Oceania board can read/post here and the other topics related to Oceania cruising can stay on topic...

BINGO!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm back after a bit of a break and did some catching up. After what I have read on some other threads I am ... speechless.

So have nothing to add at this point other than to say thanks Paulchili for starting this thread and hopefully COVID-19 related posts will indeed be posted here so we can read of other cruising related issues without the rest of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does the moderator have the ability to copy and paste posts from other threads that veered off topic to covid from the original topic of the question? And then delete all those posts from where they are now. Unfortunately, one can't get any real Oceania information anymore since EVERY thread morphs into a covid thread. I know from contact with other regulars here who actually have good information to impart to newbies that they have checked out of the Oceania boards. Count me as one who is likely checking out until it gets closer to my cruise. I am focusing on the Windstar boards for now since that is where my next cruise will be.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have two O cruises planned for next year-one in May (looking less likely with time) and one late in the year (remaining hopeful) to keep me going while we avoid going out as much as possible here in North Florida.  Numbers of positive tests have tripled since restaurants and bars reopened in late May after not being that bad before that.  Bars are closed again but nothing else is and hotels are full of happy beach goers who do not seem worried or aware of the possibility of catching the virus here.  At least more people in Jacksonville are thinking twice about the wisdom of having the GOP convention here next month and trying to curtail the size of it since they claim they cannot cancel now.  It is a worry here because our hotels are actively trying to get convention goers to stay here and enjoy our beautiful beaches.  We do not need more people around right now.  Our county is trying to figure a way to reopen schools since our system is relatively small.  I would be upset if I were a parent or teacher wondering if it can be done safely yet the kids need the social and educational benefits.  How is that going elsewhere?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
13 hours ago, susiesan said:

Does the moderator have the ability to copy and paste posts from other threads that veered off topic to covid from the original topic of the question? And then delete all those posts from where they are now. Unfortunately, one can't get any real Oceania information anymore since EVERY thread morphs into a covid thread. I know from contact with other regulars here who actually have good information to impart to newbies that they have checked out of the Oceania boards. Count me as one who is likely checking out until it gets closer to my cruise. I am focusing on the Windstar boards for now since that is where my next cruise will be.

 

 

 

Great question!  Unfortunately, that isn't what we do and I suspect the author of the posts wouldn't be too happy about it.  Also, the steps to do something like that on this system are tedious.  Too many roadblocks stand in the way of this suggestion, but I do appreciate your asking!

 

I do like this idea of having one single covid discussion thread here.  It has been difficult to keep discussions on topic, and we have been limiting most removals to "political arguements/disagreements/discussions".  Still from what I have witnessed on ALL forums here on Cruise Critic, covid spreads just as easily into topics as it does in the real world. 

 

Let's give it a try; see if it works here!  

 

PS:  Wannabee moderators please don't run around all other posts reporting covid discussions.  Thanks for your help.

 

Laura

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Exactly what about covid are we supposed to discuss here..I agree wit Paul great idea but unsure of exactly what to say..was my short post off topic??

Thanks,

Jancruz1

 

 

It seems people had lots to say/argue/speculate  on Covid in other threads  but  when they have a thread  dedicated to such things  it is just  not as much fun as disrupting the other topics

 

Hope you & Stu  are doing well?

Lyn

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LauraS said:

Still from what I have witnessed on ALL forums here on Cruise Critic, covid spreads just as easily into topics as it does in the real world. 

Thanks, Laura. And since it has constant applicability to cruising, in particular, it wouldn't make sense if the topic doesn't come up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

 

It seems people had lots to say/argue/speculate  on Covid in other threads  but  when they have a thread  dedicated to such things  it is just  not as much fun as disrupting the other topics

 

Hope you & Stu  are doing well?

Lyn

 

Well there's something to learn here. Not exactly sure what it is though. Maybe leave well enough alone, let things evolve organically as they tend to do. Sometimes the other threads delving into Covid talk actually does relate to the ongoing topic, or not. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Well there's something to learn here. Not exactly sure what it is though. Maybe leave well enough alone, let things evolve organically as they tend to do. Sometimes the other threads delving into Covid talk actually does relate to the ongoing topic, or not. 

 

 

LOL  Mostly  not

 I think I have heard enough COVID  stuff  & have been locked down since mid Feb (some by our own choice )   then you see people out partying & going to the beach seeing family & friends  etc...

I need locking up now  😉

 

 Hope you  & MS T  are doing well ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

LOL  Mostly  not

 I think I have heard enough COVID  stuff  & have been locked down since mid Feb (some by our own choice )   then you see people out partying & going to the beach seeing family & friends  etc...

I need locking up now  😉

 

 Hope you  & MS T  are doing well ?

 

No Problems here, other than not being able to go on vacation or travel. At least we live in a resort town on the lake, and have a boat. Although the water has been so high this spring and summer we had to buy a blow up kayak to get out to our boat dock. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope this is on topic. It's for all you COVID affected/deprived grandparents out there who might still be in Phase 1 like me. Here are some games for you and your little ones to enjoy on Zoom or Facetime. We play this stuff for hours and added benefit of giving a break to their folks.

 

Card games- war, gin rummy, Old Maid, Crazy 8's, black jack, 5 card draw. Some of it weird playing with two different decks, but they amuse my 4, 5 and 6 year. We use chips or pennies too.

Games- Battleship! The old non-electronic version has two separate screens so it's perfect for you to keep a screen, five ships and pegs, and send one set and the rules to your competitor. One of our favs.

Bingo. Get the kind with the closing windows. Send the whole game with spinning wheel to the young ones and order some extra cards for yourself on Amazon.

Candyland, and Chutes and Ladders for the 3 and 4 year olds. They have to move your pieces around.

Boggle- get two sets. Our favorite.

Yahtzee.

Twister- two sets.

Jacks.

Mad-libs

Pen and paper games- 20 questions, tic-tac-toe, hangman, made up games like "draw 5 animals in one minute" etc.

5 minutes to scavenge the house for everything that's blue or red or whatever. Arts and crafts projects like cutting up paper and pretending we're ancient Romans making mosaics.

 

Maybe this is off topic but bonding with your environmentally and socially deprived kids is one positive outcome of COVID-19.

 

If you have more ideas please share.

 

Nancy

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just read in U.K. newspapers that their government is restricting their citizens from going on cruises. Is that really the case?  They’ve opened up trips to the Continent, and beaches are open, but they won’t allow cruises?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...