COVID-19 related discussions

Paulchili

41 minutes ago, Tansy Mews said:

Well, we certainly have been careful. We hadn't seen our family between March 8 and June 27, even though they are an hour away. But then we were allowed social circles of 10 - and monogamous circles! No one could be in more than one circle. 

My city, Toronto and surrounding area ( about 7 million) were held back a couple of weeks reopening restaurant patios. Not that we have been yet. Too cautious and want to wait until things are working smoothly. 

Even our Conservative premier (like state governor, I guess) has been listening to the public health officials - mostly. 

Many of our areas have adopted compulsory masks, but no penalty for the customer who refuses. The Conservative premier of Alberta has said it is people's civic duty to wear a mask! 

I don't know anyone here who has had COVID-19 but my daughter got tested on Saturday morning. Negative. Must be a virulent summer hay fever or similar. 

I am waiting for the Canada-wide app based on the Apple / Google base. There is one in the works. Not sure how many people will load it, but I will. I can only hope that if I do come into contact with someone, they will be civic-minded enough to have loaded it on theirs!

One of our Public Health officials, Bonnie Henry, (actually for British Columbia) has become an icon for her caring, careful, thoughtful and science-based reports to the public. 

I should say the mask rule in Ontario is municipal, not provincial. And there are some protests about it. A minority though, I believe.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORV said:

Why not? 

Cause the subject of the thread is "covid-19-related-discussions" so that people wouldn't be annoyed that so many threads wound up with COVID comments.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:38 PM, Jancruz said:

They have no idea  at this time..we could make guess mine would be Leslie Jon 

Jancruz1

On 7/15/2020 at 6:12 PM, Paulchili said:

That would be my guess as well. He has always been the first CD on all of the O ships.

Hard to think that because of COVID some of our favorite smiling faces might no longer be around. Moved on to other employment not to return.

18 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Hard to think that because of COVID some of our favorite smiling faces might no longer be around. Moved on to other employment not to return.

I call  Leslie..and see whats happening..

Jancruz1

Due to Covid 19 and travel restrictions I've been rethinking my Rewards cards. I'm not flying, I'm not staying in hotels, I'm not cruising. Within the last week I've cancelled one AA card, $95 a year fee. I cancelled my Delta Amex, $195 a year and was going up to $250, I downgraded a Hilton card from $99 a year to no Annual Fee. So that alone is saving me around $450 in the next year or so. I'd rather be traveling and paying the yearly fees, but no point in it at this time. If nothing else when things return to some semblance of normal I'll take out new ones and get the sign on bonus, plus many waive the fee for the first year. 

I'm still using Marriott cards as the yearly free night is worth more than the annual fee. Surely I'll stay in at least 1 or 2 hotels a year. I've considered a cash back card, but I'm not really spending that much anyway. 

What changes have you made if you're a points person?

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

Due to Covid 19 and travel restrictions I've been rethinking my Rewards cards. I'm not flying, I'm not staying in hotels, I'm not cruising. Within the last week I've cancelled one AA card, $95 a year fee. I cancelled my Delta Amex, $195 a year and was going up to $250, I downgraded a Hilton card from $99 a year to no Annual Fee. So that alone is saving me around $450 in the next year or so. I'd rather be traveling and paying the yearly fees, but no point in it at this time. If nothing else when things return to some semblance of normal I'll take out new ones and get the sign on bonus, plus many waive the fee for the first year. 

I'm still using Marriott cards as the yearly free night is worth more than the annual fee. Surely I'll stay in at least 1 or 2 hotels a year. I've considered a cash back card, but I'm not really spending that much anyway. 

None, as of now.  I've been reluctant to cancel any of my existing cards, even the one I rarely use, because the reduction of available credit lines, even if you don't use them, can have an impact on FICO scores.  I'm not sure how big the impact would be but the available credit reduction could be significant.  But then do I care 🤔?

10 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

None, as of now.  I've been reluctant to cancel any of my existing cards, even the one I rarely use, because the reduction of available credit lines, even if you don't use them, can have an impact on FICO scores.  I'm not sure how big the impact would be but the available credit reduction could be significant.  But then do I care 🤔?

I can understand that but truly I'm not worried about credit scores. We're mid 800's and have cancelled and opened multiple cards over the years. I think the biggies are late payments, inquiries and the amount you owe vs credit line. We pay in full every month so it never is over a couple of percentage points. I'm streamlining a lot of things, so I doubt I'll need any loans in the next few years, can't ever see having another mortgage, but you never know. Just my point of view on it. 

11 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I was just going to say this but you beat me to it. I haven't canceled any cards for two reasons.  1)The United miles that I earn with my Visa card do not expire and 2) canceling cards and then opening up new ones later down the road could affect your credit score.  Credit utilization and average age of your credit cards have an impact on your score.  The $95 annual fee is worth it.  My DH and I each have one of these cards and we use them  for almost everything.

The only cards I would not cancel (and it would hurt your FICO most) are the cards you've had for a long time.

My Amex cards go back 40+ years (or more) - I have changed them from Plat to senior but would never cancel them.

Cards I've had for a couple of years for miles/bonus promos I don't mind cancelling and have cancelled without a hit on FICO.

Between the 2 of us and our multiple hotel cards we currently have 11 free annual nights. Most of them into 2021 but a couple will expire in 2020

Normally it would not be a problem to use them but as we don't travel now and have no immediate plans to do so, several will go unused - a real shame.

Will have to think which cards to keep and which to cancel.

Basically reduced down to four (4) a few years ago. UA, AA, Marriott, and Hyatt. Have a bunch of miles/points in each to protect in these non travel times.

Like Paul, I have some free nights that may go unused! I have Hilton Honors points, but my planned Hilton stay in Bordeaux next week was cancelled! May end up losing all of those points in their system. Perhaps I can donate those Hilton points to some cause! For the foreseeable future plans Marriott and Hyatt easily take care of all my needs.

Edited by pinotlover

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I'm still using Marriott cards as the yearly free night is worth more than the annual fee.

Even those that are only $95/year and you get a free night that's worth more than $95 is only good if you can use those free nights. 🙂.

At the moment I don't see using them anytime soon but things can change (I hope).

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Even those that are only $95/year and you get a free night that's worth more than $95 is only good if you can use those free nights. 🙂.

At the moment I don't see using them anytime soon but things can change (I hope).

Our free Marriott night is already booked! We’re doing Christmas with my daughter and her family. A very nice Marriott about a mile or so away! 

Peaceful night sleep, no bathroom competition with my glamorous granddaughters 😂, no noise issues when getting up for that middle of the night bathroom trip! Plus that King Marriott bed is a lot more comfortable than my daughter’s guest bed is!

40 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Crazily enough we're using a free night this Thursday. Real early 6am Dr procedure, we live over an hour away from Hospital and it requires some prep. Easier to spend the night a couple miles away from Hospital. 

You never know when you might need a hotel room. I'm supposed to go to a out of town wedding in Oct, but not sure that's happening now. One thing about it though, I'm a lot more likely to use a hotel room than I am to fly. 

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

The only cards I would not cancel (and it would hurt your FICO most) are the cards you've had for a long time.

My Amex cards go back 40+ years (or more) - I have changed them from Plat to senior but would never cancel them.

Cards I've had for a couple of years for miles/bonus promos I don't mind cancelling and have cancelled without a hit on FICO.

Exactly, our oldest acct lines go back years, but they're on no annual fee cards. They aren't getting cancelled. 

Also like Paul I've signed up and cancelled many cards over the years for bonus and promos without it hurting my score. It may float up and down but hasn't been below 815 and generally is around 830-840. In that range you really don't have to worry. 

51 minutes ago, ORV said:

Crazily enough we're using a free night this Thursday. Real early 6am Dr procedure, we live over an hour away from Hospital and it requires some prep. Easier to spend the night a couple miles away from Hospital. 

You never know when you might need a hotel room. I'm supposed to go to a out of town wedding in Oct, but not sure that's happening now. One thing about it though, I'm a lot more likely to use a hotel room than I am to fly. 

I hope it's in a Ritz or 4 Seasons 🙂

My best redemption was when they switched me from Westin Venice to Gritti Palace at no extra points cost due to renovations at Westin.

I would never pay that kind of money for a hotel.

Good luck with your procedure.

Edited by Paulchili

8 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

I signed on to read about everyone's thoughts regarding Covid-19 and low and behold ended up on a thread dealing with mileage credit cards.....gee whiz people.....stay on topic! lol

It is on topic, it was caused due to travel restrictions. It's totally related to Covid 19 and traveling. Pay attention. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ORV said:

Not a true points person like TPG ers 🙂 but still....

We each got a Chase Sapphire Reserve a year ago for the signup bonus. We've canceled one. BTW they're giving 5x on groceries through Sept. IIRC. We each had a UA Explorer and canceled one. We have our Costco Visa but that's just for gas and entry. To pay we use the CSR. We did this just because of annual fees. Like others our FICOs are in the mid800s and our house, cars are paid for and our motor home can be any time we choose. (Low interest rate) But nothing COVID related. Just timing.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:23 AM, sunlover12 said:

I was just going to say this but you beat me to it. I haven't canceled any cards for two reasons.  1)The United miles that I earn with my Visa card do not expire and 2) canceling cards and then opening up new ones later down the road could affect your credit score.  Credit utilization and average age of your credit cards have an impact on your score.  The $95 annual fee is worth it.  My DH and I each have one of these cards and we use them  for almost everything.

Had to see one of my doctors last week.  Like me, she thinks people should be made aware that many who "recover" from the virus are left with life-long health issues.  The virus attacks organs--lungs, kidneys, heart, and so on.  It causes strokes in some, and these poor folk include the young as well as the elderly, and those in between.  Covid-19 is a monster virus and should never be taken lightly.  Recovery rates are not telling the whole story.  By the way, I know five people who have recovered from the virus--two in another country, and three in different states.  Two of them (one in his forties another in his fifties) have been left with permanent lung damage.  Another female still has respiratory problems.  She is in her forties.  Please listen to the scientists and doctors.  Stay safe!  As the head of the CDP would say, this is not being an alarmist; it is being realistic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2