Admit Your Worst Cruise Ship Rip-Off Nightmare

On 7/13/2020 at 8:10 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Biggest mistake I made was buying a massage on the first cruise I ever went on. I listened to a sales pitch from a woman when walking by a table setup on the ship and agreed to a massage later that day. It was my first full day on the ship, I had a drink in my hand, life was good and I never thought to ask about the price. When I saw the bill after the massage, it hit me that I was paying quadruple for a worse massage than I got back home.  Almost 40 cruises later I have never again paid for any service from the spa and I never will. 

I did exactly the same and never had a ship massage again !  Total rip off !

• Like 1

🤣

26 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

waiting for someone to say they forgot to pack their BC (i.e. condoms and had to pay $10 for each individual one in the ship gift shop) - that could be $$$$.

Someone?  If you know they have them onboard and the price, would that someone be you?   That must have been a fun cruise spending $$$$ (a thousand) at $10 a pop (with the RCLL logo for that price) that would come out to 100 times.  Not with this age group I'm afraid -- that ship has sailed. 🤣

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

ROFL - yeah, that ship sailed a long time ago for us.....THANK GOODNESS we don't have to worry about that aspect of life.  I always hear stories of how people name their kids where they were conceived - Paris, Dallas, Hilton, etc....haven't heard the name "Oasis, Allure, etc. yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

ROFL - yeah, that ship sailed a long time ago for us.....THANK GOODNESS we don't have to worry about that aspect of life.  I always hear stories of how people name their kids where they were conceived - Paris, Dallas, Hilton, etc....haven't heard the name "Oasis, Allure, etc. yet.

We lived in Virginia Beach for 16 years before retiring up here near DC.  Miss VB very much!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovelife said:

We lived in Virginia Beach for 16 years before retiring up here near DC.  Miss VB very much!!

VB is FABUOUS - we retired to here.   Only wish there was a major cruise port for the "big ships" to sail out of...Baltimore is close but doesn't have the ships we want sailing from there.  Carnival still does Norfolk during fleet week, but we don't like Carnival.  

10 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

Funny but those ship names do exist as actual names -- don't know if any children named Oasis and Allure were actually conceived on those ships LOL. Maybe that "someone" didn't have enough space in his luggage for his BC and the gift shop ran out. 

The girl's name Allure \a-llu-re\ is a variant of Allura (Old French), and the meaning of Allure is "to entice, attract".

From the English word allure (which also has French roots), meaning "fascination, charm, appeal."

The girl's name Oasis

Oasis means rich,comfortable, pleasant and hope. Oasis (n.) 1610s, from French oasis (18c.) and directly from Late Latin oasis, from Greek oasis, probably from Hamitic (compare Coptic wahe, ouahe "oasis," properly "dwelling place," from ouih "dwell"). The same Egyptian source produced Arabic wahah.

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

🤣

Someone?  If you know they have them onboard and the price, would that someone be you?   That must have been a fun cruise spending $$$$ (a thousand) at $10 a pop (with the RCLL logo for that price) that would come out to 100 times.  Not with this age group I'm afraid -- that ship has sailed. 🤣

Bring your sea card and head down to medical center pharmacy on Deck 2 for some magic blue pills. Likely expensive but you will be back in the game before half time.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, rjmols said:

I did exactly the same and never had a ship massage again !  Total rip off !

I get two or three every sailing unless its a weekender. Best money ever spent. Sorry you didn't enjoy

5 hours ago, pasodancer said:

waiting for someone to say they forgot to pack their BC (i.e. condoms and had to pay $10 for each individual one in the ship gift shop) - that could be $$$$.

We have a 30 year old 'souvenir' from our first cruise. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 7/13/2020 at 3:10 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Biggest mistake I made was buying a massage on the first cruise I ever went on. I listened to a sales pitch from a woman when walking by a table setup on the ship and agreed to a massage later that day. It was my first full day on the ship, I had a drink in my hand, life was good and I never thought to ask about the price. When I saw the bill after the massage, it hit me that I was paying quadruple for a worse massage than I got back home.  Almost 40 cruises later I have never again paid for any service from the spa and I never will. 

Always enjoy my massages. 

It wasn't a cruise, but another vacation.  They changed the flight and my husband and I didn't notice we arrived a whole day earlier, on March 16 in Dublin. We were talking to the people next to us on the plane when we realized it, booked a quick expedia hotel in the five minutes we had before take off. We were also traveling with my two kids who had their birthday on the trip (they turned five.)  The hotel was the easy part, the price gouging for picking up the car early and needing a bigger car because my husband had broken his leg 6 weeks before our trip and the scooter didn't fit, was harder to swallow. It doubled our car rental price.  The fun part was we were there for the St. Patrick's Day Parade, so it all worked out and is a funny story now.

My biggest mistake was not checking my passport until the day before my cruise. I still went to Florida to meet my cousin and her daughter ( my goddaughter) who took us to Port Canaveral. We explained the situation and we were allowed to go to the Check in counter. The agent told us that if a relative had a copy of my birth certificate  and send a copy to them, they would let me board.  Since that was not the situation, I told my cousin to go by herself and I would stay in FL for my Spring Break vacation. She is not a Solo traveler like I am many times  so she said that she would be happy if we stayed in her daughter’s house. We went back to her house but on the way I treated them to a couple of nights in hotels by the beach including breakfasts. My cousin stayed with us for a couple of days more and drove to her house so she didn’t have to take all of the vacation days. My goddaughter took me to many places that I had not seen, we had a wonderful time and we got even closer. I had traveled to many places in the world but that is one of my favorite vacations.

PS: I gave a copy of the birth certificate to my brother during the next visit to his house and I have a specific place to put my passport now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I forgot aspirin once. If I get a headache and don't take something, I get migraines.

I paid 24 bucks for 12 tabs on board. 

They normally have a vending machine down by the medical center for reasonable prices.

Last Harmony cruise, I went to guest services to get quarters for the machine and they gave me a handful of whatever I want.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lovelife said:

image.thumb.png.47d1c5c9d572e9d6a9396875ea5fe64a.png

I have one of those. I don't wear it much anymore because people kept thanking me for my service. I used to explain, but eventually started saying thank you. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I forgot aspirin once. If I get a headache and don't take something, I get migraines.

I paid 24 bucks for 12 tabs on board. 

Same here, woke up one morning with a swollen cheek but too cheap to head to sick bay, bought some anti inflammatory pills first, at home in the uk they are 30p (about 45c), onboard $12, never made that mistake again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I have one of those. I don't wear it much anymore because people kept thanking me for my service. I used to explain, but eventually started saying thank you. 

My boss in Virginia Beach got me this one when he was invited onboard while the Reagan was in Norfolk lots of years ago.  (BTW, my son is career Army currently at the Pentagon.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovelife said:

My boss in Virginia Beach got me this one when he was invited onboard while the Reagan was in Norfolk lots of years ago.  (BTW, my son is career Army currently at the Pentagon.)

Pat was in Japan from 2015 - 2019.

He's out now, nuclear was to stressful 

Thank your son for his service. And you as well for being an Army Dad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1