Lift & Shift Question

sunseeker551

Once the new cruise date is confirmed for L&S, can you upgrade your cabin category at any point in the future and just pay the difference in price for the cabin category like you typically do?  Just wondering if they'll apply special rules for L& S reservations seeing as the price may be a lot cheaper than the current price (and ours also includes 4 perks).

I expect you would be allowed to, but you would probably have to pay the difference between your original booking price and the current price of the upgrade category. As some current prices have really shot up, that might be quite a hit on the wallet.

You would, basically, be giving up the lift-and-shift...You'd lose the price as well as the perks...and have to accept the new deal on whatever terms they are then marketing the cruise.

The whole concept behind the lift-and-shift is to help people who booked their 2020 cruises with great prices and perks...and, by the time the cruises got canceled, the 2021 prices for the same cruise were just too far out of line.

The only way I would ever consider giving up my L&S deals would be if the prices/perks on the 2021 cruises were to drop BELOW what I had booked the 2020 cruises for...Of course, that's possible.  By the time this whole pandemic thing is over, cruising's allure mayt have taken such a hit that they can't sell the cabins.  If so, the prices would drop.  But, right now, those 2021 prices are HIGH compared to our 2020 deals...and, there's a decent chance that, once the pandemic is history, the demand shoots WAY up.

Thanks. That's what I figured. We're actually looking to move a Feb 2021 cruise to 2022.  We booked an inside cabin for Feb 2021 (for the first time), thinking we're never in our room anyway so let's give it a try.  I was extremely nervous about it though after we booked, knowing if anything were to happen (like norovirus) we'd be stuck inside a small cabin (I'm slightly claustrophobic).  We had basically decided  to switch back to a balcony cabin so I was keeping my eye on sale prices...and then Covid happened.   We don't want to cruise in an inside cabin so I think we'll just take a FCC and wait it all out....the perks were nice but we can live without them.  We'll see how it all plays out...it could be a very long time before we cruise again. 😞

We just did a lift and shift for Panama Canal from Oct 2020 to Oct 2021. Price has gone up considerably since we booked.  I asked about upgrading and the cost was the difference between what we paid and today's price, so essentially we would be booking at today's prices.  We declined to upgrade.  Will keep an eye on prices and hopefully upgrade at some point, or try to do a move up bid.  

8 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

The whole concept behind the lift-and-shift is to help people who booked their 2020 cruises with great prices and perks...and, by the time the cruises got canceled, the 2021 prices for the same cruise were just too far out of line.

The program is a bit broader than that. It enables people with 2020 or January-April 2021 cruises, booked by August 1, 2020, to push them off for a year while retaining the original prices and perks. The cruise need not be cancelled to be eligible. In our case, we L&S'd a March 2021 cruise, originally booked in August 2019, to March 2022.

4 hours ago, bebe08 said:

We just did a lift and shift for Panama Canal from Oct 2020 to Oct 2021. Price has gone up considerably since we booked.  I asked about upgrading and the cost was the difference between what we paid and today's price, so essentially we would be booking at today's prices.  We declined to upgrade.  Will keep an eye on prices and hopefully upgrade at some point, or try to do a move up bid.  

Yep I figured that’s what our rep was meaning, I did not even ask what the cost difference would be but as the cruise in 2022 was around £600 dearer there is no way we would have considered upgrading, we took the inside to save money.

You might want to look at the price to upgrade the current room BEFORE Lift & Shift, would probably be less money based on the extremely high prices I'm seeing for next year.  But I'm not seeing and deals now either.   It's a game, but you have to play it.

8 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

You might want to look at the price to upgrade the current room BEFORE Lift & Shift, would probably be less money based on the extremely high prices I'm seeing for next year.  But I'm not seeing and deals now either.   It's a game, but you have to play it.

Is there not a risk you could still lose the initial booking perks ?

14 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes it would be at the current promo.  I was just making sure that people remember that it would be possible before lift & shift as well as after.

Fair enough.

34 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Good to keep in mind but right now, it would cost $2500 CAD more to upgrade to a balcony room on our current cruise...with no perks. :-(

Our current cruise on the Reflection is more expensive than the one we're considering on the Millennium so we'll probably just take a FCC and ride it out for a while.  Sadly, we're not feeling too optimistic about the cruise industry at this point.  I think it'll be a while before we can sail again and will it even be the same? I can't see it. :-(

Done lift & shift last WED. by calling Captains  Club , got the new bal. cabin that I wanted that same day when I checked that evening , but at the much higher price. I haven't  seen any  change since then to my original price plus perks to be moved to the new date in Nov. 2021! Do I need to call Captains Club again or call the the Resolution Dept. to find out whats going on with my lift & shift?

Ouch...decided to call and check the price to upgrade to a balcony for our current cruise...they want $4,300 more!!! Not happening...FCC it is. 

Edited to add:  I can get a new booking with 4 perks for less than they're quoting. 😞

Edited by sspidle
add

3 hours ago, lineman said:

Done lift & shift last WED. by calling Captains  Club , got the new bal. cabin that I wanted that same day when I checked that evening , but at the much higher price. I haven't  seen any  change since then to my original price plus perks to be moved to the new date in Nov. 2021! Do I need to call Captains Club again or call the the Resolution Dept. to find out whats going on with my lift & shift?

It takes a while to get the new confirmation.  48 or 72 hours possibly. If it has been longer I would call.  Our confirmation came within 24 hours.

3 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

It takes a while to get the new confirmation.  48 or 72 hours possibly. If it has been longer I would call.  Our confirmation came within 24 hours.

I called C&A after waiting a week to for lift & shift to take effect , to find that it hadn't been taken to the final step. Agent said would be taken care of right away ! 5min's. later , it was taken care of while I waited. Got my E mail 1min. later, everything is a ok, glad that is done  Good advice CHEZMARYLOU Thank YOU

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 1:58 PM, lineman said:

Is there a direct line to Resolutions or is it via reservations or Captains Club?

Thanks

3 hours ago, tert333 said:

Does anyone know whether this option will be extended passed August 1?   I have a cruise on March 2021 and not ready yet to throw the towel in on it.....

Assuming the cruise is a go, are you really ready to take a chance? We had a March 2021 cruise booked too, but we took advantage of the L&S when it first came out to move it to March 2022. There's only a slim possibility of a vaccine being available by then, with no guarantee that we would be high enough on the priority list to get one in time; there's still no indication of the safety measures Celebrity intends to institute; and we've no intention of heading to Florida in the foreseeable future. But everyone's tolerance level is different, and these issues might not be of the same degree of concern to you as they are to us.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:17 AM, tert333 said:

Does anyone know whether this option will be extended passed August 1?   I have a cruise on March 2021 and not ready yet to throw the towel in on it.....

The answer is no, no one on these boards knows.  We can only guess.