Jump to content

Wow, Celebrity is really hiking prices for 2021 cruises!


terrydtx
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

So if your group no longer recommend Celebrity, I am curious who you do recommend? Since you no longer cruise on Celebrity, why are you wasting your time in this forum? Please post in the forum of your new cruise line of choice.

He tends to waste time on other forums also. It appears he is running out of cruise lines that he and his large group will no longer travel with. I guess it doesn't matter as none of are going on any cruise lines any time soon. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Google tells me that Pullmantur has declared bankruptcy and filed for insolvency.

That was dated 26.June 2020.

Insolvency and bankruptcy don't mean "out of business," it means hiding from creditors. 
RCL owns 49% of Pullmantar so they would have to assume 49% of the debt if they didn't go "bankrupt." And believe me, Pullmantar is NOT going to buy those ships. RCL will "give them" those ships as huge write-off and then put Pullmantar back into business.

 

This has happened lots of times in the business world. A company declares bankruptcy and then comes back reorganized. And I didn't say this was a done deal, I just said it was an industry rumor and with all the circumstances that are happening, it could easily be true. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ORV said:

He tends to waste time on other forums also. It appears he is running out of cruise lines that he and his large group will no longer travel with. I guess it doesn't matter as none of are going on any cruise lines any time soon. 

 

We are long-time X cruisers (both Elite Plus) and we have two more X cruises scheduled (one Galapagos) and then we are pretty sure we are done. Tired of the changes. Hate the entire idea of the E-class and there are so many things that have changed over the years that we miss. So we are off to Viking Ocean. Smaller ship, no smoking, no casino, no photo sales, no upgrade sales in the spa, no kids under 18, free shore excursions (one per port), free specialty restaurants, much bigger staterooms...and yes, more expensive. But when I add up everything I pay for on X, it comes out close to the same for a much better experience for us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ORV said:

Are you sure about that No Smoking? I've read that there's no smoking, except where there is a designated spot, which makes it no different that Celebrity. 

 

It's in their brochures as of January 1 of 2020. No smoking. And even if that were the only non-difference, I would still go the other way.

Edited by DrKoob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

 

We are long-time X cruisers (both Elite Plus) and we have two more X cruises scheduled (one Galapagos) and then we are pretty sure we are done. Tired of the changes. Hate the entire idea of the E-class and there are so many things that have changed over the years that we miss. So we are off to Viking Ocean. Smaller ship, no smoking, no casino, no photo sales, no upgrade sales in the spa, no kids under 18, free shore excursions (one per port), free specialty restaurants, much bigger staterooms...and yes, more expensive. But when I add up everything I pay for on X, it comes out close to the same for a much better experience for us. 

Totally agree with you, smoking pretty much in line with Celebrity though - designated outdoor area  Viking vessels are generally nonsmoking. In order to accommodate guests who choose to smoke, there is a designated outdoor smoking area on the starboard side of Deck 8. All other areas of the ship, including your stateroom and veranda, are designated nonsmoking areas. Smoking restrictions also apply to e-cigarettes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

 

It's in their brochures as of January 1 of 2020. No smoking. And even if that were the only non-difference, I would still go the other way.

I've read differently on their Forum here, but it is limited.

 

I'm pretty happy with Oceania, they're pretty much all those things, and I'm pretty high up in the Loyalty program which helps. But I do have to say I've enjoyed all the Celebrity cruises I've been on, but it's been since June of 2018 since we last sailed with them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigAl94 said:

Totally agree with you, smoking pretty much in line with Celebrity though - designated outdoor area  Viking vessels are generally nonsmoking. In order to accommodate guests who choose to smoke, there is a designated outdoor smoking area on the starboard side of Deck 8. All other areas of the ship, including your stateroom and veranda, are designated nonsmoking areas. Smoking restrictions also apply to e-cigarettes.

 

Big Al, 

Things are changing. This is from their current brochure. Shot it with my cell phone. Note the third entry in the second column.

 

Jim

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 12.25.31 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

 

We are long-time X cruisers (both Elite Plus) and we have two more X cruises scheduled (one Galapagos) and then we are pretty sure we are done. Tired of the changes. Hate the entire idea of the E-class and there are so many things that have changed over the years that we miss. So we are off to Viking Ocean. Smaller ship, no smoking, no casino, no photo sales, no upgrade sales in the spa, no kids under 18, free shore excursions (one per port), free specialty restaurants, much bigger staterooms...and yes, more expensive. But when I add up everything I pay for on X, it comes out close to the same for a much better experience for us. 

I think that’s the key for many individuals. If you are a suite passenger with X you are obviously paying closer to the Cost  of a Viking cruise. For people like ourselves who have an inside cabin booked for our next cruise it’s still a huge difference, knock off the cost of the drinks, grats, and OBC and we are paying around £1000 for the two of us.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, yorky said:

I think that’s the key for many individuals. If you are a suite passenger with X you are obviously paying closer to the Cost  of a Viking cruise. For people like ourselves who have an inside cabin booked for our next cruise it’s still a huge difference, knock off the cost of the drinks, grats, and OBC and we are paying around £1000 for the two of us.

 

I would agree with you but we have never stayed in an inside. Claustrophobic. Just the idea fills me with dread. But we have only done a suite once in all those years of sailing X. Usually Aqua and even that works out, especially with shore excursions and specialty restaurants, both two things we love to do. Not to mention all the stuff they don't have. 

 

Hope you are having a beautiful day in one of my FAVORITE countries—Scotland. We were there last year in June and the year before for the Tattoo. 

 

Jim

Edited by DrKoob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

 

I would agree with you but we have never stayed in an inside. Claustrophobic. Just the idea fills me with dread. But we have only done a suite once in all those years of sailing X. Usually Aqua and even that works out, especially with shore excursions and specialty restaurants, both two things we love to do. Not to mention all the stuff they don't have. 

 

Hope you are having a beautiful day in one of my FAVORITE countries—Scotland. We were there last year in June and the year before for the Tattoo. 

 

Jim

As with everywhere else it’s been tough not been able to get out, I’ve been off work for four months now and frankly can’t wait to get back, I’ve suffered quite badly with  anxiety for pretty much the first time in my life, very unexpected, but hopefully back to work  soon. Other than that the Scottish summer this year has been pretty good with lots of fine weather

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

 

Big Al, 

Things are changing. This is from their current brochure. Shot it with my cell phone. Note the third entry in the second column.

 

Jim

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 12.25.31 PM.png

Jim, it's been reported by Viking regulars that AFTER that marketing campaign came out, which has been at least 6 or 8 months, there is still one designated smoking area on deck 8. 

 

Now, personally I think if they say no smoking it should be no smoking, but I'll have to defer to those that have sailed on Viking, which I haven't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2020 at 3:13 PM, Redtravel said:

Higher prices are a sign of panic.  It is designed to convince booked guests not to cancel.  The scenario is you book a cruise. It gets canceled.  You could take the money. However, the 125% is a tease to keep your booking. You believe that cruising will resume quickly. So you book a future cruise. Time goes by and ships are not sailing. You’re staying home getting frustrated worrying about the uncertain future. Everything is on hold. Maybe, it’s time to bail out of a booking and just take the money.  When you look at the current price of your booked cruise, you are shocked at how much the price has increased. It makes you think twice about canceling.  Some people will just keep the booking because if things improve, to rebook it would cost you more money.  The cruise line goal is to hold your money.  The cruise line wins. Had the price of the cruise gone down, lots of people would cancel.  Many would rebook at the lower fare.  Some would still bail out.  When it is truly safe and ships resume sailing, everything will change.  Then there will likely be sales to promote new bookings. Sit tight. The economy is in charge.

I am here waiting for a vaccine. I know this has been financially difficult for Celebrity, but there are a lot of loyal customers that have really been hurt too. I am hoping they will send a special offer to Elite Members offering all four perks at great prices like they did when Equinox started full time in the Caribbean. There are a lot of other bills that need to be paid before a cruise is taken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the cruise lines have reduced value to the consumer since about 2015.

 

I have cruised all the main and premium lines many times and have a sense of their positioning in the hierarchy and what each does well and not well.

 

Some of us moved "up" to Oceania, well that did not work out as a better value. Their MDR was underwhelming to say the least (even more so with the new reduced menu August 2018) while their specialties were higher quality than Celebrity, again year after year Oceania again planned and implemented less choice, less quality cuts of meat. Same industry trend.

 

One thing that has struck me about the cruise industry is the before 2015 cruising and post cruising - death of consistency.

 

Started sailing with Celebrity in 2001 and loved the Zenith, each year we would book 2 cruises and darn, each year, year after year the same great product and service was delivered. You had confidence to re-book. Our med cruise on Solstice in 2014, had fancy shrimp sandwiches and sweets with a glass of chard waiting for our room readiness. The finger sandwiches were to die for along with the amazing lemon tart with the square of bittersweet chocolate on top - lovely Bacio cafe experience.

Gone shortly thereafter.

 

The posts on these boards often refer to the downgrading across all lines and how it erodes confidence in booking. 

 

Well, if we cruise again, it will be on expedition type trips because we will not patronize the mainstream lines. Moving our travel business to customized land trips where you get a deep dive into the local geography, food etc. It helps to have a private car and driver and guide that expedites and customizes your experience. 

 

The world of travel is likely to be quite different going forward with previous biases and favorites upended.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We booked early for a cruise out of San Juan, end of March, 2021.  The cruise is now sold out but the fares went up by about 20% after we booked.  I suspect that cruising will be much more expensive over the next 18 months to 2 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2020 at 9:15 AM, yorky said:

dinner in Murano is a good as any restaurant we dine in.

The last two dinners we had in Murano, on Equinox and Silhouette, were not worth the money IMO. And certainly not as good as we can get in most restaurants on land. The menu hasn't been updated in years and the quality of service has deteriorated as well.  The servers seemed very harried and distracted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, 4774Papa said:

Jim,

Interesting what you say about the Connie. We are booked on Connie for OCT 2021 transatlantic cruise from Rome to Tampa.  If Celebrity replaced Connie with an S class ship, how would they handle our reservations for price and cabin.   I would hope that X would stick with the fare we originally booked.   

 

Also, the ports we have for this cruise may be an issue with a larger ship?  One of our ports is Mallorca.

S class can dock in Mallorca. I was there few years ago on TA cruise. I think it was on Silhouette.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, 4774Papa said:

Also, the ports we have for this cruise may be an issue with a larger ship?  One of our ports is Mallorca.

 

I went to Mallorca on RC Allure of the Seas, which is bigger than any Celebrity ship... You will like Mallorca.  It was really nice.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2020 at 1:37 PM, DrKoob said:

 

We are long-time X cruisers (both Elite Plus) and we have two more X cruises scheduled (one Galapagos) and then we are pretty sure we are done. Tired of the changes. Hate the entire idea of the E-class and there are so many things that have changed over the years that we miss. So we are off to Viking Ocean. Smaller ship, no smoking, no casino, no photo sales, no upgrade sales in the spa, no kids under 18, free shore excursions (one per port), free specialty restaurants, much bigger staterooms...and yes, more expensive. But when I add up everything I pay for on X, it comes out close to the same for a much better experience for us. 

Be gone then...have fun

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

We keep booking Celebrity cruises for 2021 and get incredible deals; through TA, not Celebrity. Just booked October 2021 on Equinox and our price was almost half Celebrity website and included all 4 perks in a verandah!

Hi, Redneck!  Would you mind sending me an e-mail?    classy1donna@yahoo.com

Edited by GeorgesGal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

 

Apex on April 17, 2021 price went down and is similar to July's pricing.  

April 24, 2021 on Apex was also incredibly low this weekend, but it seems the prices have gone back up a bit, but still very good prices.

We managed to upgrade from cat. 10 Inside with 500$ OBC, CBP and gratuities (which was laready a a very good price) to a cat. 1B Balcony with all four perks, for 98$ extra total for the stateroom. We miss out on 200$ bonus OBC, but instead get the premium BP and unlimited internet, which we would have bought out of the extra OBC we get from our TA anyway, so definitely a deal too good to pass on in our opinion. We are travelling with my sister-in-law and her girlfriend, and they chose to upgrade from cat. 11 to cat. 1B as well.

Today, the upgrade would have cost us 500$ instead of 98$, so there may have been a price glitch over the weekend, but our upgrade is confirmed from the TA (and on Celebrity's website), so Celebrity have honored the low price.

Edited by mikkelhansen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

 

Apex on April 17, 2021 price went down and is similar to July's pricing.  

Actually booked on this one this weekend could not believe the pricing for what we booked.  Timing was amazing for me as employer just informed me I would have to quarantine for two weeks after a B2B I had scheduled on the Summit in January which is fine with me but they would not grant me the additional time for quarantine as I would need a total of 28 days away from work.   The suite pricing was so crazy I actually tried to convince a few cruise friends to go in on an iconic suite with us 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...