CDC No Sail Order Extended?

DCCyclist

Hi All,

I just got off the phone with NCL after going back and forth with them for about two weeks about a reservation they can't "find" - long story. The rep on the other end of the line advised me that there is currently a worldwide pandemic (really) and said that the reservation could possibly not be found since the cruise may have been canceled due to CDC extending the No Sail order until September 25. 

Based on their comment, it brought up a red flag, but I'm not sure how much credibility I can give them based on the fact that the cruise they are attempting to find isn't until late October (which most likely won't occur). My question is has anyone else heard of the extension mentioned above or is it still 07/24/2020? Just trying to stay up to date...thanks y'all!

30 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

While I have not heard a thing I think you will see an extension until at least 9/15 to mach what the CLIA has already self imposed.  I have no facts, just thinking out loud here.

Thank you for being honest. This is refreshing. I wish more people would admit that when they predict something, it's just an opinion and not fact. (and I am not demeaning your comment at all-quite the opposite). I have just gotten so tired of people online making wild predictions that "cruising is finished, they're all going bankrupt, no cruises until 2022, if ever," etc. It's gotten me tremendously depressed so I've just stopped commenting on those posts because it does no good. But again, thanks for your honesty.

• Like 3

@DCGuy64  I stopped reading those as well.  I am booked for 1/9/2021, and when I booked I thought pretty OK chance.  Now I think 50/50, and that is also being honest.  What I wont do is be a glass half empty person thinking all the cruise lines will be bankrupt in 6 months, because there is no reason or facts that prove that out.  I hope you have a great day.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

@DCGuy64  I stopped reading those as well.  I am booked for 1/9/2021, and when I booked I thought pretty OK chance.  Now I think 50/50, and that is also being honest.  What I wont do is be a glass half empty person thinking all the cruise lines will be bankrupt in 6 months, because there is no reason or facts that prove that out.  I hope you have a great day.

Exactly right, we're booked on 1/3/2021 and are also glass half full people. Thank you, @oteixeira, have a great day, as well.

2 hours ago, DCCyclist said:

Hi All,

I just got off the phone with NCL after going back and forth with them for about two weeks about a reservation they can't "find" - long story. The rep on the other end of the line advised me that there is currently a worldwide pandemic (really) and said that the reservation could possibly not be found since the cruise may have been canceled due to CDC extending the No Sail order until September 25. 

Based on their comment, it brought up a red flag, but I'm not sure how much credibility I can give them based on the fact that the cruise they are attempting to find isn't until late October (which most likely won't occur). My question is has anyone else heard of the extension mentioned above or is it still 07/24/2020? Just trying to stay up to date...thanks y'all!

As of now the CDC No Sail order hasn't been extended, but a couple of weeks ago NCL cancelled all its cruises through September 30, as well as scheduled Alaska and Canada/New England cruises on Bliss, Joy, Breakaway and Gem through October 12, which is the remainder of the 2020 season for those destinations.

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, oteixeira said:

While I have not heard a thing I think you will see an extension until at least 9/15 to mach what the CLIA has already self imposed.  I have no facts, just thinking out loud here.

Regardless of what CLIA does, NCL has previously cancelled all cruises through September 30 as well as Canada/New England and Alaska cruises through October 12, which is the remainder of the 2020 season for those destinations.

Edited by njhorseman

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Regardless of what CLIA does, NCL has previously cancelled all cruises through September 30 as well as Canada/New England and Alaska cruises through October 12, which is the remainder of the 2020 season for those destinations.

Of course everything you said is correct, but the OP was asking about a new CDC no sail.  I was speculating that since that covers all companies they may just match what the CLIA has already decided.  Shoot, we could all be wrong and they could go longer, shorter, who really knows.  We are just having friendly conversation here.

• Like 1

Just now, oteixeira said:

Of course everything you said is correct, but the OP was asking about a new CDC no sail.  I was speculating that since that covers all companies they may just match what the CLIA has already decided.  Shoot, we could all be wrong and they could go longer, shorter, who really knows.  We are just having friendly conversation here.

Yes, and I'm permitted to participate in that friendly conversation . Sorry if I disturbed it by stating a fact...a fact that is relevant to the OP's question about what they heard from the NCL rep and whether the CDC has extended its order.

We booked for Jan 10 on the Epic in southern Caribbean. Our final payment is due in September. Everything is a chance. Maybe it would be better to wait until last minute but hopefully all this will be over.  

5 minutes ago, catty said:

We booked for Jan 10 on the Epic in southern Caribbean. Our final payment is due in September. Everything is a chance. Maybe it would be better to wait until last minute but hopefully all this will be over.  

I don't know what to do with this, have Jan 9 2021 out of Port Canaveral. Final payment will be due and just not sure at all. I was hoping it would be resolved by then. I need to see what type of insurance I can get before our birthdays. Then the question if Florida will be at all safe by then.

Plus I read about the FCC possibly being expired if I cancel. I was allowed to use 4 of them as back to back cruises and I don't know what the original dates were. Oh fun.

Most likely, the agent was conflating the NSO with CLIA's voluntary suspension.  With what, 9 days left and not even a rumor, it's unlikely the NSO will be extended.

There's no risk of an outbreak in any port.  A few cases from a cruise ship aren't even worth adding to the case total in Miami.

• Like 1

Just some more (very) wishful thinking here - we had to cancel our September 14th cruise (since the current no sale runs through Sept 15) bummer -

Our next one booked is a short 1 week out of New Orleans on December 6th - sure hope we get to go !

Then the next booked cruise is an April 2021 TA (replacing our canceled April 2020 TA) - I am thinking better odds on that one !

Stay safe, everyone 😀

9 hours ago, DCCyclist said:

Just remember that you are talking to a minimum wage call center agent who feels important when they provide information (correct or not). Their sole job is to make you feel that they are an expert and comfortable in buying a cruise from them, so they can make their quota. 

Think about your kid moving from a McD drive through to being the authoritative voice of NCL at a call center (in their basement). 

10 hours ago, coldferret said:

I don't know what to do with this, have Jan 9 2021 out of Port Canaveral. Final payment will be due and just not sure at all. I was hoping it would be resolved by then. I need to see what type of insurance I can get before our birthdays. Then the question if Florida will be at all safe by then.

Plus I read about the FCC possibly being expired if I cancel. I was allowed to use 4 of them as back to back cruises and I don't know what the original dates were. Oh fun.

We have the same problem with our Jan. 3, 2021 NY to Miami.  The ABC islands are either not open to cruise ships or you need negative covid testing within 72 hours.  The first two days are sea days.  Then DR which has a new outbreak as of now.  Then another sea day to the ABC's.  Let alone ending in Miami which is inundated with the virus.  Plus I also have a cruise next on this voyage which expires March, 2021 and if it is cancelled will not be able to use it by then unless they extend it for us.  If NCL doesn't cancel before final payment I think we will have to.

I would expect port operations will be prohibited in any state with rising hospitalization and death rates and near 100% hospital ICU occupancy.  And, there is still a perception that Cruise ships are a worst case scenario for infection spread. They are still debating the reason for spread on the Diamond Princess. Air handling is back in the candidate list after it was excluded as a reason.  Inter-state travel constraints are also going to throw all kinds of issues into things. People will be wanting to cancel because they cannot return from a cruise and be told they must stay at home 2 more weeks.  Imagine hundreds of customers told no refunds because they "choose" to be a no-show due to quarantine requirements.

I believe all this has to settle.  Conditions in Florida and other cruise port states must be as at a level like they are now in New York to have any chance to get permission for sailing and port operations.

17 hours ago, boatseller said:

Most likely, the agent was conflating the NSO with CLIA's voluntary suspension.  With what, 9 days left and not even a rumor, it's unlikely the NSO will be extended.

There's no risk of an outbreak in any port.  A few cases from a cruise ship aren't even worth adding to the case total in Miami.

Wow, no risk?  Can you tell me the lottery numbers? There is no way one can say that. A few cases on a cruise ship won't add to the case total in Miami correct, however it could quarantine the ship. 

• Like 3

From NCL's filing today:

July 16th Sec Filing

"On March 14, 2020, concurrent with our and the broader cruise industry’s suspension, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (“CDC”) issued a No Sail Order through April 13, 2020. On April 9, 2020, the CDC modified its existing No Sail Order to extend it until the earliest of (a) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency, (b) the date the Director of the CDC rescinds or modifies the No Sail Order or (c) 100 days after the order appears on the Federal Register, which would be July 24, 2020. Based on the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic, we expect that the CDC will extend the No Sail Order beyond our currently announced voyage suspension, which would result in an extension to our suspension of voyages. In addition, the duration of any voluntary suspensions the Company has implemented and resumption of operations outside of the United States will be dependent, in part, on various travel restrictions and travel bans issued by various countries around the world, as well as the availability of ports around the world."

Bolded the thing that pertains to the original question.  NCL expects no sail BEYOND their announced date of starting.

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Just remember that you are talking to a minimum wage call center agent who feels important when they provide information (correct or not). Their sole job is to make you feel that they are an expert and comfortable in buying a cruise from them, so they can make their quota. 

Think about your kid moving from a McD drive through to being the authoritative voice of NCL at a call center (in their basement). 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

🥱🥱🥱

I wouldn't be surprised if the cdc informed the cruiselines during that meeting and thats why they went ahead and shut things down till the end of sept. 

im just surprised not much from that meeting got leaked, everything leaks these days. 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Wow, no risk?  Can you tell me the lottery numbers? There is no way one can say that. A few cases on a cruise ship won't add to the case total in Miami correct, however it could quarantine the ship. 

Ayayay!  There's no risk of an outbreak because the virus already everywhere.  A cruise ship isn't going to make any meaningful difference.

That's why there will be no point in quarantining any cruise ship.  So Dade County had 75,440 cases instead of 75,425.  No even worth recording (though it will be for sure).

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 2:37 PM, coldferret said:

On 7/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, catty said:

My friend had asked me weeks ago if I though her January cruise from Florida would sail and I told her I that I thought January cruises had a decent chance.  That was a bit before things worsened in Florida.  She was booked on a themed charter type cruise on Holland American and just got word that it is now cancelled.  It might be a hint at how things are going (or not going!)  Speculation, of course, which is why I used the word "might".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

My friend had asked me weeks ago if I though her January cruise from Florida would sail and I told her I that I thought January cruises had a decent chance.  That was a bit before things worsened in Florida.  She was booked on a themed charter type cruise on Holland American and just got word that it is now cancelled.  It might be a hint at how things are going (or not going!)  Speculation, of course, which is why I used the word "might".

What ship was it on?  They sold 4 ships, which caused a lot of cancellations not related to when sailing may or may not start.

14 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

What ship was it on?  They sold 4 ships, which caused a lot of cancellations not related to when sailing may or may not start.

She didn't say which ship it was but she did say it was to embark from of Fort Lauderdale.  We were only thinking in terms of COVID but your explanation sounds like the more likely cause.