Richard Fain and "Opportunities"

nordski

I have never found Fain to be the clearest of communicators, and these statements are so cryptic as to allow any number of interpretations.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23245-royal-caribbean-not-looking-to-sell-ships.html

Those of a more negative bent will see "opportunities" as a possible means of removing the "R" ships from RCI's offerings..

In my perhaps Panglossian way, I'll see the possible fulfillment of Larry P.'s forecast that overbuilding in the premium/luxury sector would eventually lead to an "opportunity" for Azamara to purchase ships that are being divested by other fleets.

• Like 1

Yes, I read it as "I haven't got any concrete plans except the Pullmantur ships are on their way out" and will be broken up for scrap.  I haven't really seen any message from Mr Fain yet to give me confidence that he has any idea of what is going to happen.  Much like the rest of us as we are still in the midst of this crisis.

Phil

• Like 4

Excitedofharpenden I appreciate all your valuable input on the various boards.   We can all speculate but that is all it is, speculation. Any CEO, including Mr. Fain, has to maintain a positive outlook even with the unknown in front of us.
maureen

• Like 4

So would y'all prefer it if Mr. Fain followed Carnival's approach:  we're going to scrap 13 ships but we won't tell you which ones.  Then we would all be hyperventilating that Azamara was definitely headed for the scrap heap!  My reaction to his comments was that he is being truthful:  other than the Pullmantur ships [which were definitely EOL] they aren't ready to scrap any others, but are open to the [admittedly slim] possibility that someone will make an offer.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So, with some trepidation, I ask:  does anybody want to speculate who might buy Azamara's R-ships if RCG decides to pull the plug?

Can we try and keep positive thoughts for future of Azamara?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, norn iron said:

We also need to remain realistic.  The positioning of the ships in Edinburgh implies that they are not headed for the scrapyard, but there seem to be so many obstacles to their sailing again ... so the thought arises that RCG is just keeping them together to facilitate due diligence.  I can think of two companies that might buy the whole lot, and one of those scenarios would be very positive (IMHO).

4 hours ago, norn iron said:

I agree. We can all profess to be experts, but no one truly knows what's going to happen. There are many scenarios. I will admit that during the early days of the pandemic I was somewhat negative about the future of Azamara.  I decided that the healthier option was to remain positive. 

Many of us have sailed on Azamara a lot and know the crew well. I prefer to remain upbeat for them. And for all of us waiting to go back on the cruise line that we love.  Let's just keep 🤞

Phil 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We also need to remain realistic.  The positioning of the ships in Edinburgh implies that they are not headed for the scrapyard, but there seem to be so many obstacles to their sailing again ... so the thought arises that RCG is just keeping them together to facilitate due diligence.  I can think of two companies that might buy the whole lot, and one of those scenarios would be very positive (IMHO).

Interesting in hearing which company might buy Azamara’s ships and provide a positive outcome. I can’t think of one company that I’d prefer to Azamara at the price point. As far as I can see no other company provides the Azamara ‘vibe’.

• Like 4

Just now, Grandma Cruising said:

Interesting in hearing which company might buy Azamara’s ships and provide a positive outcome. I can’t think of one company that I’d prefer to Azamara at the price point. As far as I can see no other company provides the Azamara ‘vibe’.

It's all pie in the sky Denise. Nobody knows at this stage and to me it's just unhealthy speculation. Nothing more. 

Phil 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's all pie in the sky Denise. Nobody knows at this stage and to me it's just unhealthy speculation. Nothing more. 

Phil 

I totally agree that we should be positive, just interested in hearing which company might provide a similar experience.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One of the biggest obstacles is that any buyer who goes to Edinburgh will be so disappointed- the ships are in Glasgow.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I can't think of one, either.  The ships are too big for Windstar and that's the only possible "outcome" that wouldn't be negative.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uktog said:

One of the biggest obstacles is that any buyer who goes to Edinburgh will be so disappointed- the ships are in Glasgow.

Aye, indeed.  OTOH, to alleviate their disappointment they could bid on four Fred Olsen ships that are parked in the Forth.

1 minute ago, Fairgarth said:

Aye, indeed.  OTOH, to alleviate their disappointment they could bid on four Fred Olsen ships that are parked in the Forth.

Haha They are going to glow a bit, they are docked in Rosyth adjacent to the nuclear sub berth

9 minutes ago, uktog said:

Haha They are going to glow a bit, they are docked in Rosyth adjacent to the nuclear sub berth

I really shouldn't but I can't resist, sorry, very sorry.  For some reason, this reminds me of that very old joke:

First prize:  one week's holiday in Glasgow

Second prize:  two week's holiday in Glasgow

Now would y'all get back on topic......

• Haha 2

OK, so Windstar is the company that I thought of.  They were able to double the number of berths smoothly when they added the three ex-Seabourn sisters [608 plus 636] and they are going ahead with the plan to expand the sisters with another 300 berths so they will have a fleet total of 1,544.  [Let's hope my math is better than my Scottish geography!].  Adding Azamara would be a stretch – but if they took over the entire operation they would get the captains and crew who already operate so smoothly.  I see many similarities between Azamara and Windstar in terms of itinerary-focus, market point, food and service, and customer loyalty.  And I would bet that Windstar would be more loyal to Azamara than RCG has been.

Another possibility, more pie in the sky and also not as positive, is MSC.  They had a very ambitious new-build plan (pre-COVID) and included a new 'luxury class' of 64,000-ton 1,000-passenger all-luxury ships starting in 2023.  They might decide to test those waters by renovating existing ships – and either Azamara's three or Oceania's four R-ships would be possible test beds.  Replicate Oceania's deck 8 floor plans (as many mini-suites as fit) on all three decks, eliminate the inside cabins, and use deck 4 for 60 more crew cabins.  That would reduce passenger capacity to 408 and give an even better passenger/space ratio [74] than MSC's 'luxury class' plans [64].

A final possibility is that Larry Pimentel may be putting together a group to buy Azamara, the way that Frank Del Rio raised Oceania out of the Renaissance ashes.  His resignation could have been timed to start the clock on his 'non-compete' clause [he's already run off 3 months, while nobody's cruising].

The timing isn't perfect for any of this, but 'the best time to buy is when everybody is panic-selling.'

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

I really shouldn't but I can't resist, sorry, very sorry.  For some reason, this reminds me of that very old joke:

First prize:  one week's holiday in Glasgow

Second prize:  two week's holiday in Glasgow

Now would y'all get back on topic......

Now, it's not that bad.  Greenock where the ships dock is a charming town with friendly people.  They offer free bus tours with locals that are very good.

• Like 1