Jump to content

No Bars On Cruise Ships.


rafaelc
 Share

Recommended Posts

Bars don’t spread the virus! People Do!

 

About as logical as saying they should shut down all the restaurants aboard ship and do room service only!

 

Hopefully they will do a good job of testing all cruisers and staff and keep those infected off the ship or quarantined.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of the time on Oceania we sit at one of the tables in the bar area and get served. Perhaps they will limit the numbers actually sitting at the bar but I don't see this being an insurmountable problem for Oceania. With reduced capacity, it should be easy to get served at an acceptable social distance. JMHO

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

Most of the time on Oceania we sit at one of the tables in the bar area and get served. Perhaps they will limit the numbers actually sitting at the bar but I don't see this being an insurmountable problem for Oceania. With reduced capacity, it should be easy to get served at an acceptable social distance. JMHO

I agree with you. Before our bars got shut down again they removed half the bar stools and no one could stand in the area. Table service only

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Hopefully they will do a good job of testing all cruisers and staff and keep those infected off the ship or quarantined.

 French Polynesia as many of you know has introduced new measures for travel and cruising which are certain to evolve as time goes on and bugs worked out. Air Tahiti Nui started flying LAX-PPT yesterday. An affidavit from a physician, hospital or clinic attesting to negative COVID and dated within 3 days before the flight now needs to be presented before boarding flights. Then all passengers will be given a second 4 day post flight and self administered saliva COVID test on arrival. Hotels and cruise lines will be responsible for returning specimens to testing sites after 4 days. Anyone testing positive will be transported to a hospital and quarantined. Masks will need to be worn everywhere.

 

Yikes if you test positive on either test.

 

But it's a first step, and has possibilities for protecting all travelers as well as French Polynesians. It'll either work, be modified, or fail. Lots of questions already about the positives and negatives. Since PG sets sail at the end of this month we'll have a report on how efficiently it works. Take more time to see if COVID spread is slowed. Wind Spirit sails early Sept. Two bar areas on Wind Spirit are tiny and already almost entirely table service.

 

Not saying this to debate anyone as to the merits or flaws- just passing on info from FP health authorities.

 

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

 French Polynesia as many of you know has introduced new measures for travel and cruising which are certain to evolve as time goes on and bugs worked out. Air Tahiti Nui started flying LAX-PPT yesterday. An affidavit from a physician, hospital or clinic attesting to negative COVID and dated within 3 days before the flight now needs to be presented before boarding flights. Then all passengers will be given a second 4 day post flight and self administered saliva COVID test on arrival. Hotels and cruise lines will be responsible for returning specimens to testing sites after 4 days. Anyone testing positive will be transported to a hospital and quarantined. Masks will need to be worn everywhere.

 

Yikes if you test positive on either test.

 

But it's a first step, and has possibilities for protecting all travelers as well as French Polynesians. It'll either work, be modified, or fail. Lots of questions already about the positives and negatives. Since PG sets sail at the end of this month we'll have a report on how efficiently it works. Take more time to see if COVID spread is slowed. Wind Spirit sails early Sept.

 

Not saying this to debate anyone as to the merits or flaws- just passing on info from FP health authorities.

 

Sure will take all the fun out of going on a cruise.  spend half of our time taking tests.  Probably not for us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The biggest issue with FP testing requirements for US travelers is finding a place to get a test that will get you results within 72 hours of boarding the flight. If you are flying ATN and live in LA they have a deal worked out with a clinic near the airport. If you are flying from SFO on UA, like I am, it is an unknown how the testing will be handled. UA flights resume in mid August. I am monitoring the situation on CC, TA, and FlyerTalk. I go to FP in January so there is time for meekest to see how this plays out.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, susiesan said:

The biggest issue with FP testing requirements for US travelers is finding a place to get a test that will get you results within 72 hours of boarding the flight. If you are flying ATN and live in LA they have a deal worked out with a clinic near the airport. If you are flying from SFO on UA, like I am, it is an unknown how the testing will be handled. UA flights resume in mid August. I am monitoring the situation on CC, TA, and FlyerTalk. I go to FP in January so there is time for meekest to see how this plays out.

 

 

 

By January the odds are fairly good that you’ll be given a Covid breath analyzer test just before the UA check in counter. Results in 20 seconds. If you fail, you won’t even check your bags or talk to the Agent. If you pass, you’ll get your certification. A lot can and will happen in the next 6 months prior to your cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just like Pinot I think United will also have a deal worked out with a clinic by the time they start flying to Tahiti. There are two clinics doing them now within 3 miles SFO that United might utilize again just like LAX. Mills Peninsula Hospital's and Go Health Urgent Care. My son lives in Hillsborough about a mile from Mills Peninsula- had a COVID test two weeks ago and results in 2 days.  We won't have 2 days but bet anything by then a COVID result is available in 30 min. Depending on traffic both are a 5 to 20 min Uber ride away from SFO.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Just like Pinot I think United will also have a deal worked out with a clinic by the time they start flying to Tahiti. There are two clinics doing them now within 3 miles SFO that United might utilize again just like LAX. Mills Peninsula Hospital's and Go Health Urgent Care. My son lives in Hillsborough about a mile from Mills Peninsula- had a COVID test two weeks ago and results in 2 days.  We won't have 2 days but bet anything by then a COVID result is available in 30 min. Depending on traffic both are a 5 to 20 min Uber ride away from SFO.

Thank you for this information.  I'll be following this closely.  We have a cruise booked in March.  Flying to Papeete on United from SFO.  We booked the airfare using miles which can be redeposited if necessary.  I really hope this all works out because we have never been to Tahiti and have been wanting to go for a long time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

By January the odds are fairly good that you’ll be given a Covid breath analyzer test just before the UA check in counter. Results in 20 seconds. If you fail, you won’t even check your bags or talk to the Agent. If you pass, you’ll get your certification. A lot can and will happen in the next 6 months prior to your cruise.

I saw a story on that on the news, it would be great if they can get it to work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Thank you for this information.  I'll be following this closely.  We have a cruise booked in March.  Flying to Papeete on United from SFO.  We booked the airfare using miles which can be redeposited if necessary.  I really hope this all works out because we have never been to Tahiti and have been wanting to go for a long time. 

Oh you're going to have a fantastic time (if we go right?) and become a Tahiti-phile. We're going in April (hopefully) and also leaving out of SFO. Stayed tuned to the Pacific Islands board- great info there and answers to any questions you have. Paul Gauguin starts up in a couple weeks and Windstar in Sept so it'll be very interesting to get post cruise reports. Keep in touch! 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I saw a story on that on the news, it would be great if they can get it to work.

The rapid flu test results are available in 15 min. Bet it won't be much longer than that at the worst.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Petoonya said:

The rapid flu test results are available in 15 min. Bet it won't be much longer than that at the worst.

I can tell you are an optimist, I am not but hope you are right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I can tell you are an optimist, I am not but hope you are right.

Yeah...I admit to being the eternal optimist 😉

But here you go- a piece by the FDA comparing the different types of tests and one is the antigen (molecular) test which takes an hour currently. It's described as accurate in this piece by the FDA but I've read that it can miss cases. It can be done in an outpatient clinic.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/coronavirus-testing-basics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2020 at 2:02 PM, Petoonya said:

 French Polynesia as many of you know has introduced new measures for travel and cruising which are certain to evolve as time goes on and bugs worked out. Air Tahiti Nui started flying LAX-PPT yesterday. An affidavit from a physician, hospital or clinic attesting to negative COVID and dated within 3 days before the flight now needs to be presented before boarding flights. Then all passengers will be given a second 4 day post flight and self administered saliva COVID test on arrival. Hotels and cruise lines will be responsible for returning specimens to testing sites after 4 days. Anyone testing positive will be transported to a hospital and quarantined. Masks will need to be worn everywhere.

 

Yikes if you test positive on either test.

 

But it's a first step, and has possibilities for protecting all travelers as well as French Polynesians. It'll either work, be modified, or fail. Lots of questions already about the positives and negatives. Since PG sets sail at the end of this month we'll have a report on how efficiently it works. Take more time to see if COVID spread is slowed. Wind Spirit sails early Sept. Two bar areas on Wind Spirit are tiny and already almost entirely table service.

 

Not saying this to debate anyone as to the merits or flaws- just passing on info from FP health authorities.

 

 

 

This would clearly help, in fact a quick test would probably be one of the best ways to control the virus and stomp it out someday.  However, not sure I want to spend all that money and get turned back at the gate because I had unknowingly contract Covid a day or two before.

 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-australian-researchers-invent-20-minute-coronavirus-blood-test-2/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

 However, not sure I want to spend all that money and get turned back at the gate because I had unknowingly contract Covid a day or two before.

Ditto. Our last (canceled) left from Stockholm, Sweden, IIRC. I'd hate to fly all that way only to get turned away.  And I wonder if there's still going to be issues with false positives and false negatives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tocruiseguy said:

 

 

This would clearly help, in fact a quick test would probably be one of the best ways to control the virus and stomp it out someday.  However, not sure I want to spend all that money and get turned back at the gate because I had unknowingly contract Covid a day or two before.

 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-australian-researchers-invent-20-minute-coronavirus-blood-test-2/

Good point. But it's whether or not you want to take the risk. My cruise isn't till April so have till October to look at the science and roll the dice or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

Thank you for this information.  I'll be following this closely.  We have a cruise booked in March.  Flying to Papeete on United from SFO.  We booked the airfare using miles which can be redeposited if necessary.  I really hope this all works out because we have never been to Tahiti and have been wanting to go for a long time. 

I suspect you are connecting in SFO, coming in there from ORD if you live in  Madison, WI. I originate in Kansas City and have a 5 hour layover in SFO before the flight to PPT on UA. We would need to get our tests done in our home cities and have results before we board the first leg of the flight. Without the negative test we would not be allowed to board. The clinic near SFO won't help us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, susiesan said:

We would need to get our tests done in our home cities and have results before we board the first leg of the flight.

I had wondered about that. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, susiesan said:

I suspect you are connecting in SFO, coming in there from ORD if you live in  Madison, WI. I originate in Kansas City and have a 5 hour layover in SFO before the flight to PPT on UA. We would need to get our tests done in our home cities and have results before we board the first leg of the flight. Without the negative test we would not be allowed to board. The clinic near SFO won't help us.

We'll be arriving in San Francisco a day early. We'd have time to get the test done there.  United's flight to PPT is early afternoon, 3 times a week,  so we don't want to take a chance that a flight from ORD on the same day would be delayed.  There is a United nonstop from MSN to SFO but it arrives after the flight to PPT departs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...