Jump to content

If There's an Effective C19 vaccine, will Cruise Lines Require It


Recommended Posts

From a crew point of view, I would hope so. 

All crew are going to be working 100x harder post Covid. Unlikely to be granted shore leave, much less socializing allowed, more trainings and rules to follow. 

I'm not sure how willing I would be do all that for a guest to lie to get onboard, bring it on and shut us down again....

 

Unfortunately, if sailing out of the US, I doubt it....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Sounds like another lawsuit for ACLU to me. 
They can’t legally make anyone take any other vaccines (Religious and other reasons) and this would be challenged. 

 

If who requires it? Cruise lines? No way, cruising is not a right, they have rules and if you want to cruise you have to abide by those rules. Other countries requiring it? Not an ACLU issue. If the US government requires it, there may be something there, but I don't think the US government will require it. However, I think you won't be able to travel internationally without one. No other country has to let you in, they will only let you in if you abide by their rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The consequences of a Covid outbreak onboard would be devastating. Proof of vaccine of antibodies in your body to cruise. 
 

If people “don’t believe” in vaccines, no cruise for you. 

Edited by zekekelso
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Sounds like another lawsuit for ACLU to me. 
They can’t legally make anyone take any other vaccines (Religious and other reasons) and this would be challenged. 


they can’t make anyone get vaccinated. But they certainly can have a no shot = no cruise rule. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zekekelso said:


they can’t make anyone get vaccinated. But they certainly can have a no shot = no cruise rule. 

I agree. But I can see lawsuits alleging discrimination based on denial of service due to religious and/or other beliefs. The ACLU loves stuff like that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

The vaccines are being tested. Did you honestly think they weren't?

 

No company will ever be 100% liable for unknown side effects for any vaccine.

 

Vaccines are routinely required for school attendance, so it can be done.

Of course they can be a requirement.  As someone mentioned,  shots are required to travel to certain places in the world.  The minute you step on board a ship, they can make any rules they want.

Edited by mek
Link to post
Share on other sites

Me personally... let's see do I want to board a ship w/ people that have been vaccinated w/ a proven vaccine or do I want to board ship w/ people that hasn't had a vaccine? I'm going w/ the ship that requires a vaccine. 

 

So w/ a proven vaccine, yes they'll require it. I mean I get that they want every cruiser dollar possible. And w/ a proven vaccine, they'll be able to drop social distancing stuff and have the ability to cruise w/ a full ship. It's always about the dollar. More people, more dollars. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mek said:

Of course they can be a requirement.  As someone mentioned,  shots are required to travel to certain places in the world.  The minute you step on board a ship, they can make any rules they want.

Exactly. It's their business. They can most definitely require it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the cruise lines should require the vaccine. They did not worry about alienating customers over 70 when this started with the required doctor's statement that no doctor in his/her right mind would sign and they got rid of it eventually, so I don't think they will worry about people who won't sail if they have to a vaccination against Covid-19. 

 

I would not want to be stuck on a ship with people who came down with the virus, so I hope they require the vaccine. I also hope it will be a proven and safe vaccine. Obviously there might be exceptions for people who medically cannot have the vaccine. Or maybe not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in favor of the requirement.  It will be a good testing and observation ground and I can watch from the sidelines to determine if I should get 6 months to a year later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boatseller said:

Vaccines are't required for other diseases.  So, no.


Other diseases didn’t shut down the entire industry for 6+ months. Covid doesn’t play by the same rules as other diseases. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KansasK said:

I think the cruise lines should require the vaccine. They did not worry about alienating customers over 70 when this started with the required doctor's statement that no doctor in his/her right mind would sign and they got rid of it eventually, so I don't think they will worry about people who won't sail if they have to a vaccination against Covid-19. 

 

I would not want to be stuck on a ship with people who came down with the virus, so I hope they require the vaccine. I also hope it will be a proven and safe vaccine. Obviously there might be exceptions for people who medically cannot have the vaccine. Or maybe not. 

 

Did the Dr note thing ever get a chsnce to take affect? Or did everything shut down prior?

 

I don't think it was in effect when we left Ft Lauderdale on March 1

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

I don't see how they can require it. Do they ask for proof of TB, Polio, Flu, and other vaccines prior to cruising? No.

Agree. Testing might be requirement. Vaccine, like with any of dozens others no requirement.

Edited by ONECRUISER
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think requiring a vaccine (if available) is fair.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to board a cruise ship without that kind of protection anyway so it's probably moot.  I'd guess if you didn't want to be vaccinated you probably wouldn't want to expose yourself to cruising either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skeeter195 said:

Not a chance in the world that any line will require proof of vaccination.  

 

To do so could invite the possibility of cruising being shut down again if there would wind up being quarantining as was the case before. To not require proof of a vaccine - if available - would be the wrong decision I think. But, money is certainly often a 'bottom line'. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KansasK said:

I think the cruise lines should require the vaccine. They did not worry about alienating customers over 70 when this started with the required doctor's statement that no doctor in his/her right mind would sign and they got rid of it eventually, so I don't think they will worry about people who won't sail if they have to a vaccination against Covid-19. 

 

I would not want to be stuck on a ship with people who came down with the virus, so I hope they require the vaccine. I also hope it will be a proven and safe vaccine. Obviously there might be exceptions for people who medically cannot have the vaccine. Or maybe not. 

 

Agree completely. Some of the talk to the contrary smacks a bit of the anti-masking movement that is going around here in the US. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nelblu said:

2 part question:

 

1.  As per topic, will RCL make the C19 vaccine mandatory, and

 

2.  There are many that do not believe in vaccines.  I for one if it's effective, would welcome it.  What would you do?

1. Does anyone else "require" any vaccine that is currently available for anything? The vaccine most recently in the news requires at least two doses over months. That means you would need over 650 million doses for everyone in the US or 16 billion doses for the world. Yes, the cruise population is a small, small subset of that. But also consider that for a vaccine to be consider "effective", it only needs to show positive results in 50% of the people who have taken it. And the test population are healthy young people which is not the demographic on your typical cruise.

 

2. I have "had all my shots". But a vaccine which is being validated in a few months versus the normal 10 year development and test cycle is dubious. As previously stated, a normal phase 3 test population is normally worldwide across a very wide demographic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MiniChunks said:

Think about how much more they'll lose when a ship becomes infected and they have to shut it down again. Requiring a vaccine would help alleviate any concerns over that possibility. While some people may chose not to cruise over having a vaccine, I suspect they'll still have plenty of people onboard spending money. 


You are right, as they have people today who would board even with the uptick of cases.  People will get shots if they want to cruise, and those who don’t might have to wait longer for that restriction to be lifted.

 

4 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Sounds like another lawsuit for ACLU to me. 
They can’t legally make anyone take any other vaccines (Religious and other reasons) and this would be challenged. 


It is their business, so guests have to follow their rules if they want to board.  That being said I think their risk of that lawsuit, is better than a Class Action lawsuit for getting Covid on board. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HicksRA said:

I agree. But I can see lawsuits alleging discrimination based on denial of service due to religious and/or other beliefs. The ACLU loves stuff like that. 

True, even without that the Polls show 30% people say they'd never get Vaccine. Look all the Deaths from Flu over the yrs and many dont get that one. Long as enough do, get over it and/or it just burns out like previous 2009 US Pandemic... As already said dont see Vaccine being required on Cruise, Testing yes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

1. Does anyone else "require" any vaccine that is currently available for anything? The vaccine most recently in the news requires at least two doses over months. That means you would need over 650 million doses for everyone in the US or 16 billion doses for the world. Yes, the cruise population is a small, small subset of that. But also consider that for a vaccine to be consider "effective", it only needs to show positive results in 50% of the people who have taken it. And the test population are healthy young people which is not the demographic on your typical cruise.

 

2. I have "had all my shots". But a vaccine which is being validated in a few months versus the normal 10 year development and test cycle is dubious. As previously stated, a normal phase 3 test population is normally worldwide across a very wide demographic. 

Actually two shots about three weeks apart, not months.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...