Future Cruise Deposit Change

Just off the phone with my PCC to replace the cancelled Greenland cruise.  When trying to book the new cruise I could not use the FCD from the cancelled cruise.  It was either a FCC or get a refund at some point in the future.  The FCD from a HAL cancelled cruises will not return to your mariner number.  This is different than the cruise that HAL cancelled this past March.

With that change I just cancelled my November cruise and got the FCD returned to my mariner number.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Just off the phone with my PCC to replace the cancelled Greenland cruise.  When trying to book the new cruise I could not use the FCD from the cancelled cruise.  It was either a FCC or get a refund at some point in the future.  The FCD from a HAL cancelled cruises will not return to your mariner number.  This is different than the cruise that HAL cancelled this past March.

With that change I just cancelled my November cruise and got the FCD returned to my mariner number.

Interesting!  I am also on a cancelled Greenland cruise with a FCD - I will let you know how it works out nexxt week when my PCC returns.  I also was able (like you) to get an August cruise cancelled and FCD put back into inventory about 6 weeks ago.

7 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Interesting!  I am also on a cancelled Greenland cruise with a FCD - I will let you know how it works out nexxt week when my PCC returns.  I also was able (like you) to get an August cruise cancelled and FCD put back into inventory about 6 weeks ago.

I’ll be interested to hear how your FCD is handled.  I complained a bit on their monitored line.  I do hope they change it back.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I’ll be interested to hear how your FCD is handled.  I complained a bit on their monitored line.  I do hope they change it back.  

Will report back next week

The email we got from HAL yesterday says:

"You will receive double the amount deposited (up to the base cruise fare amount) as a Future Cruise Credit (FCC). The minimum bonus FCC amount is $100. For example, if you paid $200 per person, each person will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to the amount paid plus a bonus FCC of $200. If you booked under one of our special low deposit deals and paid less than $100 per person, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit of the amount paid plus $100 per person bonus FCC. This credit will waive the required deposit on your next booking on a voyage up to 29 days in length."

I read that as saying you can use it as a FCD - I would check back with with your PCC - if you have the same wording in your cancellation email.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

That is going to make me very unhappy.  I'm not putting down any more money to book a cruise than what I already have invested.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

That is going to make me very unhappy.  I'm not putting down any more money to book a cruise than what I already have invested.

That’s pretty close to what I said.  No new money until ships are sailing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

That’s pretty close to what I said.  No new money until ships are sailing.

I'm losing quite a bit here.   I booked the now cancelled cruise on a private fare.   The replacement will be significantly more expensive.  Plus, I lose my OBC.  Granted, it isn't much, but I lose it.  Then, I have to wait months and months for the FCC to show up.  Do I have to wait till it shows up in order to rebook?  If so, I lose the Have It All promo.   I still haven't gotten the FCC from the cruise that was cancelled in March.   Why do they think I would be eager to give them more money?

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

The email we got from HAL yesterday says:

"You will receive double the amount deposited (up to the base cruise fare amount) as a Future Cruise Credit (FCC). The minimum bonus FCC amount is $100. For example, if you paid $200 per person, each person will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to the amount paid plus a bonus FCC of $200. If you booked under one of our special low deposit deals and paid less than $100 per person, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit of the amount paid plus $100 per person bonus FCC. This credit will waive the required deposit on your next booking on a voyage up to 29 days in length."

I read that as saying you can use it as a FCD - I would check back with with your PCC - if you have the same wording in your cancellation email.

I also had Greenland booked with a fcd and obc.  My $200 is now a $400 fcc and obc gone. Will wait 90 days for it to add to my accounts . Have to pay full deposit for any new cruise

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

I'm losing quite a bit here.   I booked the now cancelled cruise on a private fare.   The replacement will be significantly more expensive.  Plus, I lose my OBC.  Granted, it isn't much, but I lose it.  Then, I have to wait months and months for the FCC to show up.  Do I have to wait till it shows up in order to rebook?  If so, I lose the Have It All promo.   I still haven't gotten the FCC from the cruise that was cancelled in March.   Why do they think I would be eager to give them more money?

As a small silver lining, the Have It All promotion has been extended to September 30. Our TA was told the new cruises should be announced in about 30 days. That leaves enough time to rebook and still get the promotion.

30 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

As a small silver lining, the Have It All promotion has been extended to September 30. Our TA was told the new cruises should be announced in about 30 days. That leaves enough time to rebook and still get the promotion.

It may take that long to get my PCC to call me back.   

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I have mixed thoughts on special promotions.  Of times the perks you get with them are offset by the increased fares.  Further, since we are light drinkers, the free drink deals are generally not worth it to us - give us a lower fare instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The same thing happened to me with Cunard, which---like HAL---is a Carnival Corp. line. While on the Queen Mary 2 last summer, we purchased "open" FDC's for $300 each, which could supposedly be used as full deposits on any Cunard sailing within the following four years and would also have given us significant OBC. Upon returning home, we booked a Queen Elizabeth Vancouver-to-Tokyo transpacific with the FCD for September of 2020, a sailing that Cunard cancelled in May. 

At that point, we asked our travel agent to book a Queen Victoria Norway cruise for August of 2021, using the still-unused FCD. We were told that it couldn't be done, that we'd have to pay a deposit of $950 pp. I was annoyed by this and asked for a refund of the $600 ($300 x 2), which, to their credit, they issued rather promptly.

But what did Cunard accomplish (or HAL in the case of the O.P)? They lost a booking and, more importantly, a customer who until then had nothing but good things to say about the line. Short-sighted and just plain stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

We share this position, as others do. Good money after bad syndrome. Took months just to get a port tax refund.

Spent more than an hour this a.m.with our TA who spoke to a HAL supervisor. Bottom line, we have a November 2021 cruise booked on an indefinite hold, no new money changing hands. Had this by email immediately in writing.

We were advised to await our $100 pp Future Cruise Deposit reappearing on our account.along with the additional $100 pp FCC in about 30 days, which I will believe when I see it.

By the way, they had no record on our Mariner numbers of THE $8500+  FCC HAL owes us from cancelling in March. So that has been promised to appear with a new 12/2021  expiration date and can be used for cruises thru 2022. Again, we’ll see what turns up.

43 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I have mixed thoughts on special promotions.  Of times the perks you get with them are offset by the increased fares.  Further, since we are light drinkers, the free drink deals are generally not worth it to us - give us a lower fare instead.

i generally agree except for longer cruises where gratuities add up.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

We share this position, as others do. Good money after bad syndrome.

I agree with this comment at this time. I don't want to add any more money into the pot at this time.  I'll continue to book cruises with existing FCD and FCC funds, though.

Regarding the OPs concern, we had an August 2020 Rotterdam cruise cancelled on the May 6th tranche of cancellations. We originally used FCDs and also applied some FCCs when we booked that cruise. The cancellation terms (per Orlando Ashford's email on May 6th) were exactly the same as the terms received on yesterday's tranche of cancellations.

We were able to use our FCD deposit funds (doubled in value) from our cancelled cruise as deposits to book a new cruise in January 2022 on Westerdam. We were able to apply the FCCs (amounts in excess of our required deposit funds) from that cancelled cruise to a existing or a new cruise on a dollar for dollar basis, but not as deposits.

This is confusing, but I think what they're trying to do is let you use your deposit money from a cancelled cruise as a deposit, doubled in value, for booking a new cruise.

Amounts paid or FCCs applied in excess of the deposit amount are not doubled in value and are not usable as deposits. If you paid these in cash you could get a refund instead (eventually).

...Hope I got that right. This was done through my PCC.

This is similar to an experience I had last week with my TA.  My TA had spoken with a HAL rep regarding our cancelled cruise and the rep had told her that I needed to make a written request to have the FCD refunded.  Both my TA and I thought it a strange response as the FCD is usually simply returned to my Marnier Account.  Guess it is time to contact HAL and see what the heck is going on with the FCD.

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

i generally agree.  On the cancelled cruise I had all the perks on a private fare that was fantastic.  I'd like to at least book with it and see what is offered later on.  I can always refare without it before final payment.  

57 minutes ago, dfish said:

i generally agree.  On the cancelled cruise I had all the perks on a private fare that was fantastic.  I'd like to at least book with it and see what is offered later on.  I can always refare without it before final payment.  

I like to do the same.

I just got off the phone with the BBA (big box agency) about my cancelled cruise.  I had booked it with an FCD.  The agent understood that I wanted the FCD (which is an older one purchased before the benefits changed) put back to my account and wanted the FCC for the balance.  She contacted HAL while I waited on hold and I've been advised that the FCD will go back to my Mariner account and the FCC will be processed in due time. 

My only concern is when HAL gets around to doing this (in 3 months or so) that this will be done as I've been advised.  I've asked the BBA to document the call (because she spoke to HAL) because I expect them to go to bat for me should the credits not be returned as I've been advised.

13 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

My only concern is when HAL gets around to doing this (in 3 months or so) that this will be done as I've been advised.  I've asked the BBA to document the call (because she spoke to HAL) because I expect them to go to bat for me should the credits not be returned as I've been advised.

I share your concern, and was glad when our BBA documented those elements of her discussion with a HAL supervisor before hanging up. Let’s hope all happens as it should - sooner rather than later.

22 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

We were able to use our FCD deposit funds (doubled in value) from our cancelled cruise as deposits to book a new cruise in January 2022 on Westerdam. We were able to apply the FCCs (amounts in excess of our required deposit funds) from that cancelled cruise to a existing or a new cruise on a dollar for dollar basis, but not as deposits.

This is confusing, but I think what they're trying to do is let you use your deposit money from a cancelled cruise as a deposit, doubled in value, for booking a new cruise.

I finally got through to my PCC and this is exactly what she told me would happen.   There is no similar cruise being offered so we are going from a 15 day Atlantic Coast cruise (Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale) to a 14 day b2b Boston/Montreal/Boston.  She is going to try and preserve our per diem rate from the cancelled cruise which was really good because we got it on a private sale.  So, I think I will be a very happy camper when it all shakes out. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 1:51 PM, Crazy For Cats said:

My future cruise deposit showed up in my account today from the Greenland cruise. FCD was $100pp. Should get $200 pp FCC. Also when I do a mock booking the FCC of $100pp doesn't show up at check out.