CDC No Sail Order July 16 Update

HaveWeMetYet

July 16, 2020 Update

On July 16, 2020, CDC extended the No Sail Order and Suspension of Further Embarkation; Notice of Modification and Extension and Other Measures Related to Operations signed by the CDC Director on April 9, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. The Order is effective upon signature and will be published in the Federal Register.

This Order is in effect until one of the following occurs:

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • September 30, 2020.
  • Like 1

From the PDF here: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships-Second-Extension_07_16_2020-p.pdf:

"Cumulative CDC data from the period of March 1 to July 10, 2020 reveal a total of 2,973 COVID-19 or COVID-like illness cases on cruise ships, in addition to 34 deaths.These data have also revealed a total of 99 outbreaks on 123 different cruise ships, meaning that 80% of ships within U.S. jurisdiction were affected by COVID-19 during this time frame."

Good luck with that.

Edited by crimsona

I think the CDC requirements are clear, as are the cruise lines lack of coming up with effective mitigation plans. There is clearly a lack of consensus among the cruise lines and the plans that have been submitted have had to be reworked a number of times.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships-Second-Extension_07_16_2020-p.pdf

15 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

July 16, 2020 Update

On July 16, 2020, CDC extended the No Sail Order and Suspension of Further Embarkation; Notice of Modification and Extension and Other Measures Related to Operations signed by the CDC Director on April 9, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. The Order is effective upon signature and will be published in the Federal Register.

This Order is in effect until one of the following occurs:

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • September 30, 2020.

Seems to the that #1 is the most important.  Sept. 30th will come and go.  I don't see the public health emergency expiring until there is a vaccine.  I believe that this is the death knell for 2020 when it comes to cruising.  There are way too many states that are surging in cases and now deaths.  Plus, all of Carnival's home ports are in surging states.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, crimsona said:

From the PDF here: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships-Second-Extension_07_16_2020-p.pdf:

"Cumulative CDC data from the period of March 1 to July 10, 2020 reveal a total of 2,973 COVID-19 or COVID-like illness cases on cruise ships, in addition to 34 deaths.These data have also revealed a total of 99 outbreaks on 123 different cruise ships, meaning that 80% of ships within U.S. jurisdiction were affected by COVID-19 during this time frame."

Good luck with that.

This reminds me of a local news story. We have a known "vaction" destination up here in Ohio where people come to relax and have a good time. The news has been touting that "66 people tested positive for COVID". People are panicking and saying it is so dangerous to go. When in reality, they tested about 1000 people, and the positive rate was in line with the rest of the US at about 6%. Not to say caution doesn't need to be had, but all in all, deceptive news as usual. Vacation = bad. Protest = good.

People see numbers and hear news, thinking that is all that exists. Can anyone prove that ANY other gathering hasn't had COVID?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TerCruiser said:

Seems to the that #1 is the most important.  Sept. 30th will come and go.  I don't see the public health emergency expiring until there is a vaccine.  I believe that this is the death knell for 2020 when it comes to cruising.  There are way too many states that are surging in cases and now deaths.  Plus, all of Carnival's home ports are in surging states.

Only one of the three things has to happen, if you're implying all three need to occur before cruising can resume. Or maybe you just meant the latter two aren't likely to happen as long as the public health emergency continues. In which case I don't disagree.

If public behavior and attitudes to wearing masks, as currently being exhibited, continues, then I would fully expect the CDC to extend this order past 30 Sept 2020.  Right now Florida by itself would be the fourth-worst country if it was not part of the US.

I know there is a lot of anger and frustration being targeted at the cruise lines for not coming up with a "coherent plan", but I just wonder if that is a bridge too far, a Mission: Impossible situation.  

The CDC wants a plan for loading thousands of passengers and thousands of crew onto a vessel for a week, visiting lots of foreign ports.  I think the only way to make that achievable is rapid-turn (accurate) testing for active infections at the time of boarding (prior to boarding), with massive isolation of test subjects while the results are run to ensure any positives haven't been co-mingling with the negatives.  Then rinse and repeat for every port visited.  Otherwise you risk letting even a single case on board, and the resultant bedlam that would ensue would be untenable.

And that simply does not seem realistic.  

Every other approach, IMHO, compromises the ability to be sure you have minimized any opportunity to introduce the infection on board.

An effective vaccine would be the other approach - everyone boarding must show proof of having received the vaccine.  That isn't going to be feasible until early 2021, I suspect (happy to be wrong if it is earlier).

I now fully expect my cruise in Dec on Radiance/Breeze to be cancelled.  I may cancel it myself when Carnival gets all the cabin re-assignments done, but I would prefer to have Carnival cancel it, since I have a cruise booked on Mardi Gras in April 2021 that could benefit from the OBC that will likely be offered.  Of course, maybe I'm dreaming there too.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

If public behavior and attitudes to wearing masks, as currently being exhibited, continues, then I would fully expect the CDC to extend this order past 30 Sept 2020.  Right now Florida by itself would be the fourth-worst country if it was not part of the US.

I know there is a lot of anger and frustration being targeted at the cruise lines for not coming up with a "coherent plan", but I just wonder if that is a bridge too far, a Mission: Impossible situation.  

The CDC wants a plan for loading thousands of passengers and thousands of crew onto a vessel for a week, visiting lots of foreign ports.  I think the only way to make that achievable is rapid-turn (accurate) testing for active infections at the time of boarding (prior to boarding), with massive isolation of test subjects while the results are run to ensure any positives haven't been co-mingling with the negatives.  Then rinse and repeat for every port visited.  Otherwise you risk letting even a single case on board, and the resultant bedlam that would ensue would be untenable.

And that simply does not seem realistic.  

Every other approach, IMHO, compromises the ability to be sure you have minimized any opportunity to introduce the infection on board.

An effective vaccine would be the other approach - everyone boarding must show proof of having received the vaccine.  That isn't going to be feasible until early 2021, I suspect (happy to be wrong if it is earlier).

I now fully expect my cruise in Dec on Radiance/Breeze to be cancelled.  I may cancel it myself when Carnival gets all the cabin re-assignments done, but I would prefer to have Carnival cancel it, since I have a cruise booked on Mardi Gras in April 2021 that could benefit from the OBC that will likely be offered.  Of course, maybe I'm dreaming there too.

Yes, it's likely a bridge way, way too far. 

If the cruise lines publicly admit that, they would have to stop collecting new deposits on cruises that they know won't sail.

Part of the web of dishonesty in the industry 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Only one of the three things has to happen, if you're implying all three need to occur before cruising can resume. Or maybe you just meant the latter two aren't likely to happen as long as the public health emergency continues. In which case I don't disagree.

Yes, I do mean that the public health emergency will continue throughout this year.  With cases surging as well as deaths, especially in Florida, Texas & California (3 home port states), it just won't be safe.  

We have a cruise booked for the end of October and have no illusions that it will happen.  I am just waiting on Carnival to cancel and I will rebook for 2022.  As long as there are people who are ignoring the warnings to wear a mask, this isn't going down in any discernible way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

This reminds me of a local news story. We have a known "vaction" destination up here in Ohio where people come to relax and have a good time. The news has been touting that "66 people tested positive for COVID". People are panicking and saying it is so dangerous to go. When in reality, they tested about 1000 people, and the positive rate was in line with the rest of the US at about 6%. Not to say caution doesn't need to be had, but all in all, deceptive news as usual. Vacation = bad. Protest = good.

People see numbers and hear news, thinking that is all that exists. Can anyone prove that ANY other gathering hasn't had COVID?

Had to laugh at your categorization of the "vacation" destination......  Party island would be more appropriate 🙂