New CDC Order

Bill Miller

4 hours ago, jg51 said:

~~~ 1997 to 2011: (Celebrity) Mercury

~~~ 2011 to 2019: (Mein Schiff 2)

~~~ 2020: (renamed Mein Schiff Herz [German for My Ship Heart]) ...

~~~ [Although it is difficult to know if current, online information (July 26 PM) is accurate, this ship is allegedly about nine days into a 14-night, one-way cruise -- originally intended to be from Valletta, Malta, to Malaga, Spain.  Other online info places the ship's current location as "approaching Tenerife, Canary Islands" -- which would indicate that it is way off course from its itinerary!  Someone will undoubtedly clarify this little mystery soon.  (We hope that the "Herz" did not begin to have medical problems, causing it to be unable to land, as planned, at Sete, France (July 26), Barcelona, Spain (July 27), Ibiza, Balearic Islands (July 28), Alicante, Spain (July 29), and Malaga, Spain (July 31).]

As predicted, "Saab4444" (in the RCI forum) has explained the mystery as follows:

"The new and current Mein Schiff 2 is currently cruising from Hamburg with guests. The former Mein Schiff 2, former Celebrity Mercury and now Mein Schiff Herz is around the Canary Islands without guests."

On 7/24/2020 at 11:32 AM, bEwAbG said:

It is impossible to create a closed environment (a bubble) if new people are constantly entering it.  Maybe you mean that the crew all have to test negative before cruising can resume, and they may currently be doing that by creating a closed environment for several weeks, but that's not the bubble I was referencing.  As soon as passengers board, the closed environment has been breached, and the people who were in the closed environment will now be susceptible to whatever is brought on board.  The only way to create a bubble would be to have passengers and crew on lockdown for weeks before the cruise.  As I said, impossible.

You are also misquoting me. I was referring To the length of time crew would have to be aboard prior to sailing. Of course, all bets are off as soon as one person from outside steps aboard

Several people mentioned ensuring quarantine for a certain period of time for the crew.  My only point is that will do nothing to protect the ship environment once people start coming on board.  It doesn't matter if the crew start out uninfected.  Good for them for not getting sick.  How does that affect passengers when the first person is diagnosed with coronavirus, no matter the source?  It's the same problem I have with the idea of pre-cruise testing for passengers.  It doesn't matter if you test negative a day or two before, but then come in contact with someone on the way to the port and bring it on with you to spread it around.  Same thing at any of the port stops along the way.  I see all of those types of precautions as theater and not actual solutions.  I would suspect that CDC regulators would as well unless there is some real science behind it.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 9:11 AM, BigAl94 said:

This website/magazine is a well respected pro-travel organization.  

I find the article's thesis sound.  This was a PR stunt.  Cruising, by whatever type, is not ready for prime-time.  PR stunt: take 1,200 people in a 2,800 person capacity ships, or about 40 percent capacity, on a 3-day cruise to nowhere. Doesn't resolve anything - its like a closed experiment with a hoped for known conclusion.  At 40 percent they don't make a profit.  Likely TUI is bleeding cash like all cruise lines and need to get their newest ship "at sea" for PR reasons.  Until a cruise line can show they can control their on board environment, control for passenger COVID-19 health, and satisfy social distancing, mask wearing and frequent hand washing as well as insure food safety, cruising will not return.  Demonstrations not included.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

In view of this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53566880 will these cruises to nowhere be permitted to continue?  1/2000 German passengers together on a ship for four days even with protocols seems an unnecessary risk at the moment.

Geez, do you ever give up?
Your post were even deleted in the topic. 

Like I said, by now we all get that you disapprove. You made that clear by trying to find all kind of negative media which suit your point of view... 🙄

By what I have seen from the two cruises which sailed and reports from people who were and who are on board, the risk is lower than in most hotels or even most workplaces. The invironment on board in controlled as much as can be, people adhere to protocols, there are only Germans on board (so a low infection rate from the first place) etc. etc. 

Since we live in Germany I listened to the press conference live. Yes, we have some spikes and "rising" cases in Germany. However, we are already concerned when the number is above 500!!!

Plus, the rise in recent cases is mostly focused on specific events or locations (meat processing factory, farm with seasonal workers). Also caused by people returning from risk areas and people celebrating ridiculous parties... all not good! Agree 100%. But in no way comparable to the situation on THESE cruises.

The RKI president expressed his concern - rightly so! But mostly about people getting careless in everyday life, going on holiday in risk areas and partying (like Mallorca, Austria, Berlin etc.).

Information is great, correct information even better - but not without properly comprehending it and putting it into perspective.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 6

On 7/27/2020 at 10:03 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

This website/magazine is a well respected pro-travel organization.  

I find the article's thesis sound.  This was a PR stunt.  Cruising, by whatever type, is not ready for prime-time.  PR stunt: take 1,200 people in a 2,800 person capacity ships, or about 40 percent capacity, on a 3-day cruise to nowhere. Doesn't resolve anything - its like a closed experiment with a hoped for known conclusion.  At 40 percent they don't make a profit.  Likely TUI is bleeding cash like all cruise lines and need to get their newest ship "at sea" for PR reasons.  Until a cruise line can show they can control their on board environment, control for passenger COVID-19 health, and satisfy social distancing, mask wearing and frequent hand washing as well as insure food safety, cruising will not return.  Demonstrations not included.

Whats wrong with a PR stunt? Should cruiselines not be self promoting?

Edited by pumpkin 11

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

Geez, do you ever give up?
Your post were even deleted in the topic. 

Like I said, by now we all get that you disapprove. You made that clear by trying to find all kind of negative media which suit your point of view... 🙄

Quite bored with your personal attacks when you disagree. I asked should they continue, didn't say they shouldn't . Personally I think it's premature, ill advised and a desperate corporate attempt at getting revenue in. The methodology of hiring crew and not allowing them shore leave is probably necessary to try to keep a ship clean of the virus but reprehensible. That's my opinion and I won't be setting foot on a cruise ship again until I perceive a substantially lesser risk and a return to as near normal as possible. That will take a considerable time. The industry over heated and will now need to learn how to adjust.

1 minute ago, BigAl94 said:

Quite bored with your personal attacks when you disagree. I asked should they continue, didn't say they shouldn't . Personally I think it's premature, ill advised and a desperate corporate attempt at getting revenue in. The methodology of hiring crew and not allowing them shore leave is probably necessary to try to keep a ship clean of the virus but reprehensible. That's my opinion and I won't be setting foot on a cruise ship again until I perceive a substantially lesser risk and a return to as near normal as possible. That will take a considerable time. The industry over heated and will now need to learn how to adjust.

Stating facts is no personal attack! 

If you consider it a personal attack, the problem seems to be on your side.

You are always welcome and entitled to have your own opinion. However, so am I!

One thing you don´t seem to get bored with, however, is trying to convince everyone of your personal opinion. I haven´t seen you contributing to any neutral forming of opinions by posting neutral information or information which you at least tried to confirm. All I can see is you jumping on every piece of negative info (regardless how shady the source) like a starving man on a christmas ham.

Personally, I couldn´t care less if you or anyone else approves of these cruises starting, if they dislike "only" cruising at sea, if they think it´s a PR thing or if you or they would sail on them or not. Heck, so far even I wouldn´t sail on them. What I do care about and what annoyes me are people not getting tired of posting tendentious, false or blatantly incomplete information just to be missionaries of their own opinion.

I have mentioned it before: personally I am very happy to see staff of two cruise ships being back at work. I am happy to see people being able to do at least some cruising again and to see that so far the strictly controlled policies seem to be successful.

IMHO it´s a preview of things to come and a dim light at the end of a tunnel. Without having any intention of advertising cruises of a cruise line I usually wouldn´t cruise with myself, I also see little need of badmouthing them.

Have a great day!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

In this case the PR stunt is endangering lives. 

Well, in this case it´s not just a PR stunt but a start after thorough preparations involving and approved and controlled  by authorities. In fact, there is little PR action surrounding the cruises. I was surprised.

What you might have to keep in mind is that numbers in Germany are way way different than in the US. And by only taking Germans on board and not stopping at any port, the risk is considerably lower. Not non-existent - granted. However, no different to the now "limited" everyday life all over Germany.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 3

I do not agree that this is a PR stunt but in fact a legitimate first step to "test the water" of returning to operations in a well controlled experiment from a country whose citizens have done a great job keeping the virus controlled.  Everybody taking this cruise understands the risk (if any) and has chosen to do so willingly.  Ultimately we will all know in a few weeks if this approach has flaws and if anybody gets a viral infection.  Time will tell.  I prefer to wait and see before being negative or positive.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I do not agree that this is a PR stunt but in fact a legitimate first step to "test the water" of returning to operations in a well controlled experiment from a country whose citizens have done a great job keeping the virus controlled.  Everybody taking this cruise understands the risk (if any) and has chosen to do so willingly.  Ultimately we will all know in a few weeks if this approach has flaws and if anybody gets a viral infection.  Time will tell.  I prefer to wait and see before being negative or positive.

I agree and can’t think of a better country than Germany to attempt this experiment. Sad to say but they are far more disciplined than we are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

it is a test, but one where the result largely rests on the incidence of the virus in the population participating. the precautions might slow spread enough to get by an occasional infected passenger. With the current rate of infection in Germany and a cruise size of 1000 you will likely get 1 infected passenger per 10 or more cruises.  Pretty safe if they stay within that population. So a negative result does necessarily say the procedures work. But a positive cluster tied to a ship in that low of an incidence population would pretty much lock in that they don't.

Based on the numbers I would not expect anything until 20 or more 3 day cruises have occured.

Edited by npcl

On 7/29/2020 at 12:24 PM, C-Dragons said:

I agree and can’t think of a better country than Germany to attempt this experiment. Sad to say but they are far more disciplined than we are.

It seems that most countries are more disciplined than we are on most days.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, npcl said:

it is a test, but one where the result largely rests on the incidence of the virus in the population participating. the precautions might slow spread enough to get by an occasional infected passenger. With the current rate of infection in Germany and a cruise size of 1000 you will likely get 1 infected passenger per 10 or more cruises.  Pretty safe if they stay within that population. So a negative result does necessarily say the procedures work. But a positive cluster tied to a ship in that low of an incidence population would pretty much lock in that they don't.

Based on the numbers I would not expect anything until 20 or more 3 day cruises have occurred.

Interesting number crunching.  I look forward to seeing if your prediction plays out.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

It seems that most countries are more disciplined than we are on most days.

Ah, but there's something special about Germany and it's citizens, imo. But then again, I may be a little prejudiced.

More reasons to be cautious https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/travel/2020/07/hurtigruten-cancels-svalbard-cruise-crew-members-have-been-diagnosed-covid-19  "Passengers that disembarked in Tromsø tells to Norwegian media that they first were informed about the outbreak when reading online newspapers. All passengers are to be quarantined and tested for Covid-19."

Edited by BigAl94
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 11:44 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

EXACTLY what the CDC and other health organizations are saying, to include CLIA itself.  Its NOT yet safe to sail on cruise ship.  

We received a new brochure today from Regent..smaller ships ...bigger prices!

The safety plan in the brochure is impressive.  We would feel  safe under that plan IF...big IF..it was implemented 100 % .  Wonder if Celebrity will be similar even though ships are larger. 

• Like 1