QANTAS suspends all international flights until March 2021

On 8/21/2020 at 5:00 PM, cruiseej said:

Would you cancel the cruise this far out because you feel either (a) there will still be no safe cruising by December 2021, or (b) Silversea will be bankrupt and out of business by December 2021?

Edited by Stumblefoot
Deleted since OP only wanted answers from those who are urging cash refunds. Since I don’t fall into that group, I removed my response.
30 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Deleted since OP only wanted answers from those who are urging cash refunds. Since I don’t fall into that group, I removed my response.

I'd welcome thoughts from anyone, and especially veteran cruisers like you, @Stumblefoot.  🙂 

My wife and I are not gamblers at heart, but we're in the unfortunate position of having to decide whether to leave a lot of money on the table for a cruise we'd really like to do 16 months in the future, or take the money back and perhaps wait another year or two and hope the same experience will still be available then. 

My gut tells me that even if any of the cruise lines falter, it will be their creditors who lose out before the customers who have money paid on future cruises -- but we're in uncharted territory.

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

I'd welcome thoughts from anyone, and especially veteran cruisers like you, @Stumblefoot.  🙂 

My wife and I are not gamblers at heart, but we're in the unfortunate position of having to decide whether to leave a lot of money on the table for a cruise we'd really like to do 16 months in the future, or take the money back and perhaps wait another year or two and hope the same experience will still be available then. 

My gut tells me that even if any of the cruise lines falter, it will be their creditors who lose out before the customers who have money paid on future cruises -- but we're in uncharted territory.

As a veteran cruiser, in both sense of the words, I now have no future cruises booked. We cancelled the 2021 WC at an early  stage in March and got our substantial deposit back very quickly before the rush.  The best thing for me is not that the money is in my pocket, though that is certainly good, it is that I no longer have to worry about one extra thing at this time. Peace of mind is valuable. Booking a cruise I hope will be something for the future.

On 8/7/2020 at 4:00 PM, crusinbanjo said:

Excuuuuuse me.   Mrs Banjo and I have done many high end land tours, and stayed in many exclusive hotels, it still doesn’t give us the same experience as a really good cruise ship, IM not so HO. 

(We've been away so I missed this.)

Curious how a "really good cruise ship" experience is so different/better than a land tour. And I'm not being snotty. Would really like to know. 

Here's a photo of our wonderful hotel room in Santiago, Chile, after our Antarctic cruise.

IMG_6477.JPG

IMG_6478.JPG

IMG_6479.JPG

On 8/15/2020 at 9:35 AM, crusinbanjo said:

Mrs Banjo and I have already made the decision for them, we just haven't told them yet.......  Just in case they come to their senses.   

When I booked our SS cruise for 10/21 with a final cancel date of 6/21, I was offered the 10% off if we paid in full right away. I told our SS agent that I would never do that and that I'll make a decision about canceling by next June. I said "I don't want to be in a line of unsecured creditors in case of bankruptcy." No pussy-footing around for me 🙂

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

So, from my perspective to your original two questions, I do believe (a) there will be safe cruising by December 2021, and (b) Silversea will still be solvent at that time.  With that said, while I took an FCC and used it to book a voyage in 2022, I realize that decision to leave money on the table is not for everyone.  

As you contemplate your decision, one thing you shouldn’t worry about is whether or not the South Georgia experience will be available in the future.  Once cruising resumes, whenever that may be, South Georgia will always be an option on Silversea.  It may not be next year, or even the year after, but it will return once it is safe to do so.

Best wishes as you make your decision.  Everyone’s situation is different, as well as their tolerance for risk.  Obviously, I’ve made a calculated decision that I am comfortable with.

46 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

(a) there will be safe cruising by December 2021,

I understand your word "believe" but that's just wishful thinking, right?

1 hour ago, clo said:

I understand your word "believe" but that's just wishful thinking, right?

Well, of course, right?  I don’t know how it could be anything but wishful if I didn’t believe it to be true.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:24 AM, MrsWaldo said:

Not unless Victoria gets it together.

There is no talk of state borders reopening yet and Tasmania is closed until Dec 1.   Draw what you wish from that

With a heavy heart last week we cancelled our flights to OZ scheduled for January 2021 and also the Silver Explorer cruise from Melbourne to Darwin in February 2021 which we had prepaid in full (rather a lot of £££). I think Australia will be 'closed' until at least mid-2021 (and the Northern Territory possibly longer) so the cruising season in Australia and New Zealand in Q1 and Q2 of 2021 can now, sadly, be forgotten. FYI our last full-fare cancellation took 44 days to process from notification to refund (by Silversea in London).

So sorry to hear that philipb. So they didn't mind you cancelling the cruise, and still gave you a refund? I thought we always had to wait for them to cancel us for that - we took the FCC and postponed our 2020 Alaska cruise to July 2021. If that doesn't go I shall be very unhappy. 

Also clo, which was your nice hotel in Santiago? - if we can ever travel there........

4 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

So sorry to hear that philipb. So they didn't mind you cancelling the cruise, and still gave you a refund? I thought we always had to wait for them to cancel us for that - we took the FCC and postponed our 2020 Alaska cruise to July 2021. If that doesn't go I shall be very unhappy. 

If you give at least 120 days notice you get a full refund minus £130 (in the UK) administration charge.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:57 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Well, of course, right?  I don’t know how it could be anything but wishful if I didn’t believe it to be true.

Would "hope" be a better word?

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:32 PM, clo said:

(We've been away so I missed this.)

Curious how a "really good cruise ship" experience is so different/better than a land tour. And I'm not being snotty. Would really like to know. 

Here's a photo of our wonderful hotel room in Santiago, Chile, after our Antarctic cruise.

totally different experiences IMO.  Best part about a cruise is being able to just unpack once and have everything arranged in the closet. I don't generally completely unpack on a land tour because most of the time, you are moving to different hotels.  Also, so nice not to have to pull out a credit card everytime you want to get a drink at the bar or have dinner.  Just more relaxing.

News from down under

>>Royal Caribbean has cancelled eight cruises, including Voyager of the Seas' planned cruise from Hong Kong to Sydney departing October 5. The first Australia-based cruise to be cancelled is a seven-night voyage around South Australia and Tasmania that was scheduled to depart on October 17.<<

and Princess has cancelled all cruises through to December

On 8/26/2020 at 1:49 PM, RachelG said:

Also, so nice not to have to pull out a credit card everytime you want to get a drink at the bar or have dinner.  Just more relaxing.

So true!  And also not have to worry about whether to tip for every transaction, or whether what I want is in my "drink package".

Australia has just extended it's Biosecurity emergency until December 17th.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/human-biosecurity-emergency-period-extended-by-three-months

This means no cruise ships can enter until at least that date.

Australians cannot travel overseas until at least that date and unless you are an australian citizen no non essential travel to Australia. until at least that date.

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Australia has just extended it's Biosecurity emergency until December 17th.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/human-biosecurity-emergency-period-extended-by-three-months

This means no cruise ships can enter until at least that date.

Australians cannot travel overseas until at least that date and unless you are an australian citizen no non essential travel to Australia. until at least that date.

One small correction. Australians can travel overseas with special permission. Apparently the authorities have been more accommodating in recent times. However, it looks like domestic vacations for most of us in the foreseeable future. However, cruises for non-Australians now look like a pipedream. 

Edited by turtlemichael