Bahamas Ban US Residents

3 hours ago, jwc1027 said:

How many private islands can Royal buy, lol ? Yes I have long given up hope for cruising 2020, the more dire question is will they restart in 2021??

They may resume cruising in 2021, but US citizens may still not be allowed to disembark in certain areas.  Until this virus is under better control here, I'm afraid there will be more and more closings to US travelers.

6 minutes ago, NonnaTLC said:

Until the USA gets a handle on Covid-19. 

We can't even travel into Canada.  

Neither can the Toronto Blue Jays (MLB) - announced this week, they are not permitted to play in Toronto (even with an empty stadium).    They need to find a new home base until further notice.

1 hour ago, sptrout said:

But, will they, or do they now? I do not know. Then, they may have no choice if the other ports of call do not open up. 

I agree, no one knows, yet they all have sailed there in the past and have KW on the current schedule.

The original intent of the post, or so I believe, revolves around NO passengers ships would be docking in KW based on the referendum and that is not true in full.

That is, unless the intent was about something else entirely and now the intent has changed?

bon voyage

28 minutes ago, NonnaTLC said:

Maybe we should start making a list of the places we can still go to.  No Canada, No Europe, No Bahamas.  What about Mexico and the Caribbean?

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

To be clear, this is a ban on all travel From the US, not just US residents. Anyone living, visiting the US can’t then go to the Bahama’s. 

Ohhhhh, I’m soooo sorry I can’t go to Nassau......oh gee. Tongue in Cheek since there are few if any spots we can now travel to outside our boarders and the Bahama’s, especially Nassau was never high up (or even on) my list of want-to-go-to’s.  I’ve stayed oboard more than a few times calling there. 

Den

That’s very true.I hope Celebrity will delete Bahamas in future cruises as a port stop.

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Maybe we should start making a list of the places we can still go to.  No Canada, No Europe, No Bahamas.  What about Mexico and the Caribbean?

1*pvHYuvfowoAAgAbngIMjKg.png

wonder if rest of Caribbean will follow bahamas.

Edited by UnorigionalName

I can't zoom on that map.  Anyone know what countries are still open to us? Was that posted up thread?

I've always wanted to visit Turkey.  I can't make out the other countries in Europe.  Is that Tanzania I see in Africa?

32 minutes ago, verizon said:

That’s very true. I hope Celebrity will delete Bahamas in future cruises as a port stop.

How broad minded of you; because a country with limited healthcare resources is trying to protect it's citizens, you somehow find this offensive and something they should be penalized for in the future. 

32 minutes ago, richard1s said:

How broad minded of you; because a country with limited healthcare resources is trying to protect it's citizens, you somehow find this offensive and something they should be penalized for in the future. 

Who said it was offensive?  I think you are reading something that is not there.

It make sense to remove them if docking is not allowed.

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

US citizens = persona non grata most everywhere these days.  Not at all surprising.

The selfishness of a moronic few is rearing its ugly head.

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Who said it was offensive?  I think you are reading something that is not there.

It make sense to remove them if docking is not allowed.

Zitsky, I think you missed richard1s’s point. Obviously if the ports are closed there would be no ‘docking’ right now anyway. The post richard1s was referring to hoped Celebrity would delete the Bahama’s as a port of call ‘in future cruises’. In other words, punish them for trying to protect their residents. 

I guess Celebrity should cancel all ports in Canada, Hawaii, South America, Australia, all of Asia, all of Africa except Tanzania, Europe, etc. Instead, maybe we in the US should do something about a Pandemic.....nah, that’s too hard. Let’s just blame a lot of ‘foreigners‘. 

Den

The Bahamas is closing its ports and airports and bans all commercial vessels and flights from entering the country from Wednesday with the exception of those coming from Canada, UK (surprising) and the EU. Travel from the US is banned

6 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Zitsky, I think you missed richard1s’s point. Obviously if the ports are closed there would be no ‘docking’ right now anyway. The post richard1s was referring to hoped Celebrity would delete the Bahama’s as a port of call ‘in future cruises’. In other words, punish them for trying to protect their residents. 

There is some gray area here on what they meant.  The poster was actually quoting your original post poking fun of not being able to go to the Bahamas, a port you don't really care for to begin with.  The poster replied "That's very true. I hope Celebrity will delete Bahamas in future cruises as a port stop."  That's an innocuous sentiment absent other proof that it was meant the other way (as punishment).

30 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

There is some gray area here on what they meant.  The poster was actually quoting your original post poking fun of not being able to go to the Bahamas, a port you don't really care for to begin with.  The poster replied "That's very true. I hope Celebrity will delete Bahamas in future cruises as a port stop."  That's an innocuous sentiment absent other proof that it was meant the other way (as punishment).

Maybe this, maybe that.  I would understand (if not agree), if someone made a comment, "if they don't want us there, don't go".  (of course!)  No one individual can "punish" a country.  But maybe people will vacation in the few countries that are open to US citizens.  And when/if this is over, maybe they will remember the welcome they were given and then travel to those places more than others.

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Maybe this, maybe that.  I would understand (if not agree), if someone made a comment, "if they don't want us there, don't go".  (of course!)  No one individual can "punish" a country.  But maybe people will vacation in the few countries that are open to US citizens.  And when/if this is over, maybe they will remember the welcome they were given and then travel to those places more than others.

Not liking the Nassau stop (and avoiding cruises that have it) pre-dates this, though.  I've heard that in person and on these boards plenty, and it's based on the port itself, not Bahamian government policies.

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

No offense, but this is nonsense.

The only reason people from the US are banned is because others are trying to protect themselves from getting a new surge of Coronavirus. Why would anyone want to vacation in another country right now?  Why would anyone want to get on a plane unless it is for something VERY Important? As long as there are people who refuse to be careful and refuse to wear a mask, we will all have to suffer.

5 hours ago, NonnaTLC said:

Does anybody know what "getting a handle on it" looks like?  Our mortality rate is way down.  Cases of Covid will never completely go away.  So what does it look like?  I'm genuinely curious.  I haven't left my home in weeks.  It's interesting how much one can do from their computer these days.  Someday, I'd like to venture out back into society.  Where do the numbers have to be for that to happen? much less cruise again?

You could look at how other countries have done... transmission can go way down if folk wear masks, social distance, hand wash. It's not rocket science (but I think a lot of folk don't really know how far 6' is and think they're safe if they're outside and only a foot or so apart with no masks).

Unfortunately,  though, cruising and social distancing don't go well together.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
19 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Does anybody know what "getting a handle on it" looks like?  Our mortality rate is way down.  Cases of Covid will never completely go away.  So what does it look like?  I'm genuinely curious.  I haven't left my home in weeks.  It's interesting how much one can do from their computer these days.  Someday, I'd like to venture out back into society.  Where do the numbers have to be for that to happen? much less cruise again?

It would look like the rest of the developed world, like the NE of the US.  Where you get the total prevalence of the disease to a low level, so you can reopen your economy somewhat with universal mask usage and play whack-a-mole with contact tracing and partial closures until a vaccine comes along.  You know, the rational by-the-numbers strategy that all the 1st world countries took.  Not like the 2nd/3rd world countries of Russia, Brazil, India, and the US.

Mortality rate is a false herring.  Especially when you are talking about travelers.  It's because the first part of this wave 1.5 in the US was driven by young people, who have a lower mortality rate.  But they then transferred to older people; the average age of infected is going back up up again, and if you look at the total US data, the mortalities are going up up again, as there is a lag between covid detection and death, and a lag as young people are transferring it to older people.

Other countries don't care if the people coming into their countries with covid are young or old, they will spread it all the same.  So mortality rate is just about the worst statistic to look at.  

So options are like asia and europe.  If you are like Asia, then you have universal mask usage, and more intrusive contact tracing.  With those in place, countries like singapore, taiwan, HK, and Japan have mostly been able to keep their economy running like normal.  restaurants are still open, people are finding ways to work from home, executives are taking temporary paycuts so they don't have to lay off workers, rotating partial closures on a flexible scale as areas have more or less cases.  you know, 1st world stuff. (Japan has unemployment of 2.6%!!!!!!)

Or even like europe, where you do a long lockdown to get cases under control.  Use that lockdown period to increase testing capabilities and a centralized contact tracing.  And reopen as cases are very low and only allow travel between similarly low countries.

I don't understand how some Americans are so blind that they cannot accept that right now, their COVID response is the laughing stock of the world.

Edited by UnorigionalName

Italy. Remember how bad they were? See how they flattened out.

146624028_ScreenShot2020-07-20at6_05_45PM.png.86770697bd6731bc3257676fa39293c3.png

US. See how we never flattened out but opened up anyway and are going up up up?

1450165710_ScreenShot2020-07-20at6_04_29PM.png.13e84db06e602558ef8302dbe7462062.png

Note these are total cases so can never go better than flat... the curve won't go back down for instance.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
2 hours ago, babylene said:

No offense, but this is nonsense.

The only reason people from the US are banned is because others are trying to protect themselves from getting a new surge of Coronavirus. Why would anyone want to vacation in another country right now?  Why would anyone want to get on a plane unless it is for something VERY Important? As long as there are people who refuse to be careful and refuse to wear a mask, we will all have to suffer.

Everyone makes their own decisions when to travel.  Read the boards.  You'll see that.  Don't mean to state the obvious.

5 hours ago, NonnaTLC said:

I can’t blame them or anyone else that chooses to ban USA. 
Until people act like mature, responsible adults vs ignorant, selfish children, I don’t see a curve reversal. Jmo