CMV cease trading

A very sad day.

This was mentioned in a thread below but I feel it merits one on its own.

There was a huge amount of advertising today and over the weekend from a well known TA with 3 letters in their name who only advertise in newspapers - I can only believe some/lots of bookings were made.

Scandalous in my view to take deposits knowing that "all future bookings cancelled" was about to be posted on their website.

• Like 1

I could not open the link geriatric.

Can you summarise what it said?

I wonder what happens to their ships that are all at various locations "ticking over"?

And the skeleton crew currently on them?

And Amy Johnson and the other ship for next year, whose name escapes me?

4 minutes ago, geriatrix said:

This seems a little unfair to point out given there’s only 24 reviews all from this year regarding COVID. I’m pretty sure most company’s would have a terrible rating on there too if the reviews only began during this pandemic. We love P&O but there customer service has been shocking, NCLs attitude is to ignore you and

hope you go away and well BA are the worst now, embarrassed to say they’re our flag carrier. My point is that most travel companies have handled this situation badly to avoid this exact situation that CMV are in, we sailed with them once and they had their faults but the crew were one of the friendliest groups, sad day for them. 

• Like 1

I saw your posting earlier about booking a cruise today.

I believe CMV committed an offence by taking any bookings today, knowing that they were appointing Administrators.

Fortunately your deposit (like ours for an Amy J cruise next year) is protected by ABTA but whether we get the money back before Christmas is doubtful.

As I have said previously, I am very sad for the wonderful CMV crew.

However, I have nothing but contempt for their Directors who allowed people to make bookings today knowing they were ceasing trading. How they will sleep tonight I do not know.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, welwyngirl said:

I just booked this cruise THIS AFTERNOON!!!

Shocking.  Now a long haul to try to recoup our money.

Try calling your credit card company now - they might be able to stop the payment going through (just a thought).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

I believe CMV committed an offence by taking any bookings today, knowing that they were appointing Administrators.

Fortunately your deposit (like ours for an Amy J cruise next year) is protected by ABTA but whether we get the money back before Christmas is doubtful.

However, I have nothing but contempt for their Directors who allowed people to make bookings today knowing they were ceasing trading. How they will sleep tonight I do not know.

I agree it's shocking.  However, all is not lost.  I booked through a TA I know and he thinks the deposit has not get gone to CMV but is still held by the TA's company.  We're aleady waiting for FCC from HAL and refunds from RCI.  Not been a great year has it?

2 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Try calling your credit card company now - they might be able to stop the payment going through (just a thought).

Thanks but our TA thinks it's still being held by his company and not yet with CMV so hopefully should get refunded fairly swiftly.  We had booked for the Amy Johnson cruise next September.  It was being advertised all over the media all weekend.  Shameful!

Have only sailed once with CMV, on Marco Polo. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would have booked with them again. Sad loss for those of us that like smaller ships and a more traditional style of cruise.

• Like 1

Sad time, but it did seem to be a mammoth task for them to have carried on, since cruises do not look like they are going anywhere much for some time. I feel sorry for all those who have lost their jobs.

I do not think many of the ships were owned by them, so will revert to their owners.  The P&O Australia ships due to start sailing next year had not been handed over to CMV (to be Amy Johnson), or their German arm, so presumably they are still owned by Carnival and may well be scrapped as there must be a limit to the number of second hand ships which can be sold in this climate.  Carnival said last week that those ships will leave service with P&O Australia earlier than planned - I was wondering if the knew something then.

I do not know how this affects Global Cruise lines who seemed to have close links with them and managed the ships.  They seemed to be coming up as a parent company on some searches, but I do not understand business workings.   http://www.globalmaritimegroup.com/Cruise-Ship-Management-16

Edited by tring

7 hours ago, PrincessPete said:

The Directors should be charged Criminally, 'Trading whilst Insolvent.'  Or something more sinister.👮‍♂️

Best wishes to all those folk affected, I hope you get your monies back.  At least the British customers have ABTA to refund their monies, customers from Australia, USA etc don't have that protection, they will have to go to the Liquidators/Administrators whoever.  

Edited by NSWP

9 hours ago, Chrisdriving said:

And now everyone has to try and claim their money back via credit card/ABTA it says on CMV website.

very bad and they shouldn’t get away with it, terrible feedback on trustpilot.

Unfortunately that is only for UK passengers.  Those of us in the U.S. and elsewhere do not have that option.  I am out $6500!

A replacement 25th wedding anniversary cruise with CMV (since we were locked down when it should have been) was to be our reward for getting through this current unpleasantness.

To any staff or crew: we are absolutely gutted for you.

The customer service staff have been second to none with any query or problem I have had; you ought to get snapped up soon.  (I mean that literally, I have not come across another organisation with such helpful, happy, customer-facing staff.)

For the crews, I hope that, when we're allowed to travel again, you are all snapped up too, if that is what you want.

Missing you already, CMV.  I'm really upset for you.  ;-(

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PrincessPete said:

A very sad day.

This was mentioned in a thread below but I feel it merits one on its own.

There was a huge amount of advertising today and over the weekend from a well known TA with 3 letters in their name who only advertise in newspapers - I can only believe some/lots of bookings were made.

Scandalous in my view to take deposits knowing that "all future bookings cancelled" was about to be posted on their website.

How about a cruise line with their own ships (4 letters, ends with A) which is also a travel agent for cruises with "our hand picked partners" and is still selling CMV cruises on their website this morning?

Although, come to think of it, they need to fill theirnown ships, so could be a way of getting extra bookings by the back door.

This really seems to be a "buyer beware" situation nowadays - seems nobody can be trusted to look out for the consumer.

38 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

How about a cruise line with their own ships (4 letters, ends with A) which is also a travel agent for cruises with "our hand picked partners" and is still selling CMV cruises on their website this morning?

Although, come to think of it, they need to fill theirnown ships, so could be a way of getting extra bookings by the back door.

This really seems to be a "buyer beware" situation nowadays - seems nobody can be trusted to look out for the consumer.

Out of curiosity  I looked after I'd read your post and yes, I was able to go as far as choosing a cabin, etc without anything to say that the company had gone bust.  I realise that this is still a very new situation, but how long does it take to put a banner up on their page stating that CMV is in administration?  Absolutely shocking.

It seems amazing to me too that they could carry on taking bookings, deposits and full payments, even, when they could not have had a ‘reasonable expectation’ of being able to honour the contract. You’d think that was tantamount to fraud. 

I’m sorry for all those with bookings who will have a protracted battle to get their money back, along with all the employees who maybe hoped for a last minute rescue. 

I see from the abta website that quite quite a few cruise type operators have also recently gone under. 

Seems to me that the only morsel of good news recently recently has been Fred olsen’s acquisition of the Hal ships. Something to look forward to. 

Peter

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

Out of curiosity  I looked after I'd read your post and yes, I was able to go as far as choosing a cabin, etc without anything to say that the company had gone bust.  I realise that this is still a very new situation, but how long does it take to put a banner up on their page stating that CMV is in administration?  Absolutely shocking.

Still nothing on this company's website and cruises still being shown as available .  I would hope that had I filled in my name I would have got a message telling me that the firm had gone bust.  Looked on two other companies websites and they are telling customers what has happened : sadly a third Co.uk company is still advertising the firm.  Perhaps if I'd gone further I might have got more information but I'm not prepared to give these people any of my personal info when I'm not intending to book.