Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jxtgreek

Should I wait or should I cancel?

Recommended Posts

Or next cruise is scheduled for 11/29.  My wife is very concerned at the moment with everything going on and wants me to cancel and get some of our money back.  I'm thinking that the way things are right now here in Florida there won't be any cruises departing this year and want to wait and let Carnival cancel so we can get the benefits they are offering for a cancellation.   Are any of you reading this having similar thoughts to this situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 11/7 and 12/12 cruises. I’m holding out to see what happens. If they get canceled I’ll take the FCC + $600 OBC. You’ll also have the option of a full refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much would you be out to cancel now? I assume you are before final payment date. To hold out for a cancellation will be a game of chicken. You may win or you may get burned holding tickets to a cruise that you don’t want to be on and will lose the full amount to cancel. Either way, I would wait until right before your final payment date to decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a few still for the rest of 2020. Most have been booked over a year; we cruise often. We will, likely, rebook them, if cancelled, for next year, same timeframe. They are mostly paid up from others being added in. If the funds were needed, however, we’d cash out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a 12/5 sailing and I’m worried about going. We are waiting to see if it is canceled before doing anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait for the cruise line to cancel it (if it all), so that you don't lose anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a Christmas cruise scheduled and I called last week to rebook for the following year.  I am a planner and didn't want to wait and not have a plan.  Carnival switched my cruise with no fees.  We hadn't made final payment which helped.  I just don't think things will be back to normal the rest of 2020 unfortunately.  Now, I have 3 cruises for next year!  That is something to look forward to.  We switched our 2020 trip to an all inclusive in Jamaica.

 

Vicki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancel and get your money back. Cruises are not happening for 7-10 months minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on "the current status" your trip will be canceled.

 

Although there is no guarantee that Carnival will offer the same incentives (OBC) the chances are "highly likely".

 

I'd wait for an official cancellation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol I have a b2b next feb I'm worried will get cancelled. Now it's not just roatan, the Bahamas have closed their doors to usa. All those saying well let's just cruise to the private beaches, that's now out.

 

If we cruise by next feb imo its iffy and getting worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a cruise booked out of OSJ on Fascination in February and wondering the same thing. As it is now, no cruises are showing out of OSJ until september 2021, and flying into SJ you have to have a negative test. Deposit was only a hundred bucks but final payment will be here in November. I’d like to have Carnival cancel the cruise and get the benefit. But I’m not thrilled about paying in full. What to do, what to do....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is I have lyrics going through my head.

 

Should I stay or should I go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fyree39 said:

All I know is I have lyrics going through my head.

 

Should I stay or should I go. 

If I go there will be trouble,
And if I stay it will be double.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My PVP told me that Carnival will allow anyone who is booked on a cruise in Oct/Nov/Dec to rebook within one year of their original cruise date with no penalty fees, even if booked under Early Saver rates. I specifically asked as we have a cruise booked for October 19th, which we don't intend to go on anyway even if the cruise sails. I just don't want to be on one of the first few sailings after cruises resume. But that said, we are waiting it out until our final payment date to see if Carnival cancels our sailing so we can get the rebooking incentives. We have until August 20th before we need to do anything on our end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

My PVP told me that Carnival will allow anyone who is booked on a cruise in Oct/Nov/Dec to rebook within one year of their original cruise date with no penalty fees, even if booked under Early Saver rates. I specifically asked as we have a cruise booked for October 19th, which we don't intend to go on anyway even if the cruise sails. I just don't want to be on one of the first few sailings after cruises resume. But that said, we are waiting it out until our final payment date to see if Carnival cancels our sailing so we can get the rebooking incentives. We have until August 20th before we need to do anything on our end. 

It seems like it would be a public relations nightmare for an industry already in deep trouble to not give refunds to people if they are nervous about going on October which btw cruises are not going to be sailing in October from the US unless there is some sort of miracle.  If it were me I certainly would not send them any more of my money.  And yes I am on the record as saying it is going to be a while before a step foot on a cruise ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is the same question going on in my home. final payment for our November cruise is August 10th... I just got the "reminder" email. We aren't comfortable with the entire scenario as it stands now: flying in to Miami, spending a night in a Miami hotel, and a week on the ship with a couple thousand people. I doubt Carnival will make any announcement on my cruise before final payment date, so we will likely just cancel a couple days prior. Yes we lose the deposit in all likelihood... But I consider it $100 peace of mind. We are still debating refund vs. FCC. We did book cheers at 20% discount, and I've seen that can be transferred to a rebooked cruise, so that's a consideration too. Stay safe everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ober134 said:

Well this is the same question going on in my home. final payment for our November cruise is August 10th... I just got the "reminder" email. We aren't comfortable with the entire scenario as it stands now: flying in to Miami, spending a night in a Miami hotel, and a week on the ship with a couple thousand people. I doubt Carnival will make any announcement on my cruise before final payment date, so we will likely just cancel a couple days prior. Yes we lose the deposit in all likelihood... But I consider it $100 peace of mind. We are still debating refund vs. FCC. We did book cheers at 20% discount, and I've seen that can be transferred to a rebooked cruise, so that's a consideration too. Stay safe everyone.


I have heard that Carnival may let you move your deposit to a later cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ober134 said:

Well this is the same question going on in my home. final payment for our November cruise is August 10th... I just got the "reminder" email. We aren't comfortable with the entire scenario as it stands now: flying in to Miami, spending a night in a Miami hotel, and a week on the ship with a couple thousand people. I doubt Carnival will make any announcement on my cruise before final payment date, so we will likely just cancel a couple days prior. Yes we lose the deposit in all likelihood... But I consider it $100 peace of mind. We are still debating refund vs. FCC. We did book cheers at 20% discount, and I've seen that can be transferred to a rebooked cruise, so that's a consideration too. Stay safe everyone.

Our final payment was July 19th for our October cruise.  One of the families in our group didn't want to risk going in October so she called to cancel on the final payment date.  They said anyone canceling in October or November will not get charged any cancellation fees.  She was able to move all of her money to a February cruise we have booked without incurring any penalties.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:


I have heard that Carnival may let you move your deposit to a later cruise.

Just spoke with my PVP,  she said call on due date (July 26) and she would postpone final payment date.  My situation is compounded as canada/us border will likely still be close for our Oct 24 cruise... if i make final payment and cruise is a go (give it 1% chance) and i cant cross the border i'm out full payment. Still on the fence tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a Thanksgiving cruise booked on Panorama.   I'm hoping the ship sails, but I refuse to go if there will be masks, small grouping etc...  I was just at an AI last week and the safety precautions took away from the experience.  We didn't have to wear masks at the resort, but the bare tables, menus on blackboards, no buffet, no coffee maker in the room... They did the best they could and we had a good time but I don't need to experience that kind of vacation again.  Really wondering what to do as we're booked through a big box TA and final payment is due August 9th.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much longer can the cruise lines survive without filing bankruptcy? If is costing them a ton of money every day to keep those ships floating around in the Atlantic, and now with hurricane season they will need to reposition all of those ships as the hurricanes roll across. More fuel burned. I love cruises but don't want to let them hold any of my money right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they would have made the BIG announcement today!  I don't consider that big news...I have 4 cabins booked for my family to all cruise on Halloween.  I have paid all deposits & will have to make final payments Mid August.  

 

I would have to self quarantine for 14 days after...who can work & do that?  Not I, I would be flying from North Dakota to California.  I work  for the state & It is posted on our state website that anyone traveling out of the country must quarantine for 14 days!  

 

I haven't even looked to see if Mexico will be open (Cabo).

 

I was told we can make a one time change without penalty...difficult to know when, especially with so many going.  

 

I guess I won't say anything until it gets to be mid August, since my kids don't follow cruise news.  I haven't seen them in a year...this is disappointing, but at this point I would have rather heard the cancellation today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cruisinthemed said:

I wish they would have made the BIG announcement today!  I don't consider that big news...I have 4 cabins booked for my family to all cruise on Halloween.  I have paid all deposits & will have to make final payments Mid August.  

 

I would have to self quarantine for 14 days after...who can work & do that?  Not I, I would be flying from North Dakota to California.  I work  for the state & It is posted on our state website that anyone traveling out of the country must quarantine for 14 days!  

 

I haven't even looked to see if Mexico will be open (Cabo).

 

I was told we can make a one time change without penalty...difficult to know when, especially with so many going.  

 

I guess I won't say anything until it gets to be mid August, since my kids don't follow cruise news.  I haven't seen them in a year...this is disappointing, but at this point I would have rather heard the cancellation today

I'm in the same boat    I'm just waiting for cancellation for my Panorama cruise Oct 24th, and I know they will.. why not now?   I have 2 reasons they don't want a huge backlog of refunds, and they want people to pay their final payment so Carnival can keep their money because they know most of cruisers want FCC and OBC $$.  Princess already cancelled their North American cruises throughout Dec 15th.  I have heard the CDC asked or will ask whether or not if they will follow Princess in canceling through out the year..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cool Cruiser, Mexico is open, AIs are very happy to take your business, see my earlier post on this thread.  Also, most of them have no money down reservation options, and late full payment dates with flexible cancellation policies.  My vacation started on July 11th, and I could have cancelled for a full refund up through 7/7. 

Edited by edspec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 4:17 AM, fla gang said:

How much longer can the cruise lines survive without filing bankruptcy? If is costing them a ton of money every day to keep those ships floating around in the Atlantic, and now with hurricane season they will need to reposition all of those ships as the hurricanes roll across. More fuel burned. I love cruises but don't want to let them hold any of my money right now.

About 2 months ago Carnival said they could go a year without sailing given their financial status at the time and be OK.  Since that time they have sold off several ships which both brings in some cash and reduces expenses.  Of the "Big 3" cruise lines Carnival is in the best financial condition and NCL the worst.  Look at what happens with NCL as a bellweather to the industry's fate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...