I wonder if the name Amy Johnson will be kept........

........if the ship is now sold by Carnival (P&O Australia) to another cruise line, as opposed to being scrapped?

We were really looking forward to sailing on her next year having cruised on her near identical sister, Crown Princess, when AJ was the Regal Princess.

Having seen so many computer generated brochure pictures of her as Amy Johnson it is hard to believe she may never officially exist under that name!

I should guess that whoever buys her will want to put their own name to her.  I, too, was booked on the AJ for her Caribbean cruise in November next year and very disappointed that won't happen especially as it was the first time I was ever going to have a cabin with a balcony.  Oh well.

I think you are right Boltonian that a new owner would want to choose their own name for the ship.

I guess the question is who is now going to buy her and Ida Pfeiffer?

They are both older than the Costa ship Carnival sold for scrap so perhaps that will happen to them as well? AJ is the oldest at 29 years so is at the greatest risk probably.

I suppose the same query applies to the rest of the CMV fleet, not that CMV actually owned any of them.

Surely, at least Marco Polo and Astoria are heading for the scrap yard unless their actual owners have other companies ready to charter them like CMV did?

On 7/21/2020 at 5:53 PM, PrincessPete said:

........if the ship is now sold by Carnival (P&O Australia) to another cruise line, as opposed to being scrapped?

We were really looking forward to sailing on her next year having cruised on her near identical sister, Crown Princess, when AJ was the Regal Princess.

Having seen so many computer generated brochure pictures of her as Amy Johnson it is hard to believe she may never officially exist under that name!

If, maybe, Zen Cruises can get her for a bargain-basement price, Jalesh Cruises could operate her and reunite her with her sister - now known as Karnika...???

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, Britboys said:

If, maybe, Zen Cruises can get her for a bargain-basement price, Jalesh Cruises could operate her and reunite her with her sister - now known as Karnika...???

Pacific Dawn (was supposed to be Amy Johnson) has been sold by P&O Australia. The buyer was not disclosed but it did say sold for further service. 

6 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

Pacific Dawn (was supposed to be Amy Johnson) has been sold by P&O Australia. The buyer was not disclosed but it did say sold for further service. 

Yes, I saw that too. Someone is getting a nice ship at a good price!

17 hours ago, Britboys said:

Yes, I saw that too. Someone is getting a nice ship at a good price!

depends what price she sold for.  But despite her age she still has lots of life in her.

13 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

depends what price she sold for.  But despite her age she still has lots of life in her.

Carnival are desperate to get shot of these older, less profitable ships. If the deal that Fred Olsen got on the two ex-HAL ships is anything to go by, then whoever has bought it will have got a good deal...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, Britboys said:

Carnival are desperate to get shot of these older, less profitable ships. If the deal that Fred Olsen got on the two ex-HAL ships is anything to go by, then whoever has bought it will have got a good deal...

A company Called Ocean Builders acquiredthe Pacific Dawn. She's apparently going to be used as a Floating Condo type(living at sea) ship moored off the Coast of Panama. Looks like kind of a big condo unit with ammenities. And people own the individual suites. An Interesting concept if it works. They take possesion Nov 3 i believe so well have to c how it goes.

Edited by roeco9084
On 7/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, Britboys said:

Karnika has been put under arrest as her owners have collapsed. 

9 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

Karnika has been put under arrest as her owners have collapsed. 

The India cruise market has struggled to take off - and then Covid-19 came along...😕

15 hours ago, Britboys said:

The India cruise market has struggled to take off - and then Covid-19 came along...😕

I wonder if she was actually owned by Jalesh or Zen cruises or if it was another one of those deals that Carnival seemed to have partially financed it which they seem to do with alot of their older vessels.