Jump to content

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???


If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

954 members have voted

  1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

    • YES
      747
    • NO
      207


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Outliers. I am not concerned one bit about myself contracting the virus (98% chance we already had it this past February coming off of Allure)

I hate to tell you this, but it you were on the allure Super Bowl cruise, you most likely had the flu.  DW and I also got sick, she did the antibody test when donating blood and it came back as negative.   I could not do the blood donation, to see because as I like to tell people, I have Mad Cow.  Lived in the UK at the wrong time.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mek said:

COVID-19 and Blood Type

Study finds no relationship between blood type and severity of COVID-19

 

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/covid-19-blood-type

 

Folks - the study concerning blood type and infections has been going on for years - it's nothing new.  I have a rare blood type and I have followed this way before C19.

 

However it did find

 

An intriguing finding from the study was that there appeared to be a greater chance of people with blood types B and AB who were Rh positive testing positive for the virus. Even stronger evidence was assembled by the team that symptomatic people with blood type O were less likely to test positive. 

“These findings need to be further explored to determine if there is something inherent in these blood types that might potentially confer protection or induce risk in individuals,” 

 

or here 

 

https://www.tmc.edu/news/2020/06/blood-type-may-affect-covid-19-outcomes-study-shows/

 

 

like most news, if you look long enough and hard you will find someone saying what you want to make your point.  

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

I hate to tell you this, but it you were on the allure Super Bowl cruise, you most likely had the flu.  DW and I also got sick, she did the antibody test when donating blood and it came back as negative.   I could not do the blood donation, to see because as I like to tell people, I have Mad Cow.  Lived in the UK at the wrong time.
 

 

Wasn't on her Superbowl week and I definitely didn't have the flu. Our toddler and infant both ran fevers on board for 2 days and the infant had vomiting one night but both recovered fine on board. On the last day I developed a dry cough and thought nothing of it. During the week we got back I still had my cough and I couldn't drink my favourite coffee for a few days as it didn't taste right (nothing tasted right). I had no other symptoms.  During the same week my wife started running a fever with a cough and had it for a week before it broke. My parents in their late 60's and early 70's also started running a fever with cough and their Dr gave them Tamiflu which did absolutely nothing. It took 2 weeks for their fevers to break and their coughs to go away. Luckily both my parents are a healthy weight and exercise regularly and have no other conditions. 

 

We still laugh at how on our flight home everyone on the flight was hacking up a lung and how when we got home it was a completely different landscape (Pandemic Mode) to when we left.....in Canada anyway. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I'm not really understanding your question. Are you expecting 170k MORE deaths down there? If so it's really time to turn off the news. 

It was obvious I was asking how you would feel if you lost the person you love the most to COVID-19. 

 

But to answer your question... sadly, another 170,000 is entirely possible.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, yogimax said:

It was obvious I was asking how you would feel if you lost the person you love the most to COVID-19. 

 

But to answer your question... sadly, another 170,000 is entirely possible.  

And then the other side of the coin, what would it be like if someone who got the vaccine found out it causes birth defects and gets pregnant, causes cancer, or something else it takes time to detect.  Who knows what the rushing to a vaccine will cause.   I am not an anti vaccine person, just one that has been a Ginny pig for shots in the military.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, yogimax said:

It was obvious I was asking how you would feel if you lost the person you love the most to COVID-19. 

 

But to answer your question... sadly, another 170,000 is entirely possible.  

The only person I know who I worry about contracting Covid-19 is my 89 year old grandmother. 

 

If that happens there won't be any cruising in 2021......another 170k that is.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

And then the other side of the coin, what would it be like if someone who got the vaccine found out it causes birth defects and gets pregnant, causes cancer, or something else it takes time to detect.  Who knows what the rushing to a vaccine will cause.   I am not an anti vaccine person, just one that has been a Ginny pig for shots in the military.  

That's a fair question and why the so-called "Operation Warp Speed" can never jump over important steps in the clinical trials.

 

Phase 2 of clinical studies deals with the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Phase 3 deals with safety issues.

 

If the studies are done correctly and not rushed for political reasons, the vaccine should be safe and save lives!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

They say the average for phase 3 trial is 1-4 years so they can determine the drugs longer term effect.  

That is a real concern.

 

Each of us will have to make a decision as to whether the benefit from the vaccine outweighs the risk of possible longer term effects.  That decision will be based on factors such as age, underlying health conditions, etc.. It will be a difficult decision which is why we will need the very best medical and scientific guidance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

You are making a common mistake.  Wearing a mask does not protect you, it helps protect other people.  So while you can wear a mask all the time it won't stop your getting the flu virus if somene else has it and isn't wearing a mask.

I'd contend that the present consensus is the greatest benefit occurs when everyone wears masks.  You right in that a greater reduction of transmission occurs when an infected person wears a mask amongst non-infected not wearing masks, than when non-infected wearing masks are amongst infected not wearing masks.  However, there is a further reduction when all parties wear a mask. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

At around 5.5 million confirmed cases and possibly tens of millions of undiagnosed cases in the US pretty much says that the vast majority of people will shrug it off.

Yes, but there is still uncertainty whether having the virus will grant permanent immunity.  It may only last ~6 months.  Also, some indications in German studies of cardiac impact (mainly inflammation) in up to 80% of total people who recovered from Covid (including those under 50).  People need to be very careful with this.  My son's 22, I don't want him being cavalier thinking he'll shrug it off and potentially damage his heart for life in the process. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, yogimax said:

That's a fair question and why the so-called "Operation Warp Speed" can never jump over important steps in the clinical trials.

 

Phase 2 of clinical studies deals with the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Phase 3 deals with safety issues.

 

If the studies are done correctly and not rushed for political reasons, the vaccine should be safe and save lives!

Every time someone says the "political" part I laugh.  How would that apply in other countries exactly?  England (Oxford) has made great strides and many other countries are developing their own at the same rate.  How is that political?  They are doing the trials/studies at a faster pace, but they're still doing them ALL.  People need to quit letting the fear mongering and biases in the media turn their heads.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Yes, but there is still uncertainty whether having the virus will grant permanent immunity.  It may only last ~6 months.  Also, some indications in German studies of cardiac impact (mainly inflammation) in up to 80% of total people who recovered from Covid (including those under 50).  People need to be very careful with this.  My son's 22, I don't want him being cavalier thinking he'll shrug it off and potentially damage his heart for life in the process. 

And the flu vaccine lasts no more than a year, so we get the vaccine every year.  Why should this be any different?    Where'd you come up with ~6 months?  At this point they know it lasts at least 3 and that will change the longer the vaccines are tested.  And, the heart inflammation you're talking about, from what cardiologists have said is not usually permanent.  It's not unusual with some infections.  The study that was done was done on 100 people aged 45-53, which is prime heart disease age,  and is very, very small group.  People need to be careful searching so hard for problems.   Flu can cause heart issues also, as can many other infections.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BND said:

Every time someone says the "political" part I laugh.    People need to quit letting the fear mongering and biases in the media turn their heads.  

Every time someone mentions "fear mongering" and media bias I laugh!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

Yes, but there is still uncertainty whether having the virus will grant permanent immunity.  It may only last ~6 months.  Also, some indications in German studies of cardiac impact (mainly inflammation) in up to 80% of total people who recovered from Covid (including those under 50).  People need to be very careful with this.  My son's 22, I don't want him being cavalier thinking he'll shrug it off and potentially damage his heart for life in the process. 

It's the media's job to keep us afraid, now that the numbers are dwindling they're doing their best to keep the fear and hysteria going. A good friend of mine in his late fifties was in the hospital for almost 60 days and hooked up to a ventilator for almost half that. He's been out for almost 2 months now and came golfing with us last Friday......no lasting effects so far. He did have a heart attack a few years ago and was on blood thinners among other things......

 

Was on CTV news.....quite the feel good story. 

 

I agree that people need to be careful but life must go on and it must go on soon....while protecting our vulnerable that is.... ie people over 80 mostly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really just don't think anyone needs to be berated or bullied for not wanting to get a vaccine the day it comes to market - besides the point that a vast majority aren't going to be able to get it for some time after it comes to market anyway. 

 

I personally, am not very concerned about covid. I wear a mask, I socially distancing, I pretty much only go places where everyone is wearing a mask, I don't go to bars or anywhere where people are crowding together without masks - so I think my chances of catching it are low. On top of that, I rarely get sick, like once in the last five years. Young, health, exercise daily, etc. So if I did catch it I am comfortable that I have an excellent chance of fighting it off. Don't pull the BS about "who I could infect". I live with my husband only, and his job creates a much more substantial chance of infection than catching it from me. I don't have anyone in my life who would be "high risk" and I wear a mask outside so not spreading it everywhere I go. 

 

Will I ever get the COVID vaccine. Probably. Am I inclined to stand in line to be the first one. Not really, I'm comfortable with letting people who are more concerned about and have a higher risk of a bad reaction to covid get it first. When it's as easy to get as a flu shot I'm sure I'll end up getting it at some point. Do I think this will create extra time for adverse effects to become known? sure. What's wrong with that?

Edited by sanger727
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 10:01 AM, teacherman said:

I believe we will be able to get the vaccine at the terminal before we board and, of course, we will charge it to our SeaPass card.  😇😎

Normally, it takes time for a vaccine to become fully effective (or even partially effective).  The Flu vaccine takes 2 weeks.  It seems highly likely that getting the vaccine at the terminal will not afford any protection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Wasn't on her Superbowl week and I definitely didn't have the flu. Our toddler and infant both ran fevers on board for 2 days and the infant had vomiting one night but both recovered fine on board. On the last day I developed a dry cough and thought nothing of it. During the week we got back I still had my cough and I couldn't drink my favourite coffee for a few days as it didn't taste right (nothing tasted right). I had no other symptoms.  During the same week my wife started running a fever with a cough and had it for a week before it broke. My parents in their late 60's and early 70's also started running a fever with cough and their Dr gave them Tamiflu which did absolutely nothing. It took 2 weeks for their fevers to break and their coughs to go away. Luckily both my parents are a healthy weight and exercise regularly and have no other conditions. 

 

We still laugh at how on our flight home everyone on the flight was hacking up a lung and how when we got home it was a completely different landscape (Pandemic Mode) to when we left.....in Canada anyway. 

 

 

 

That is a wild story!!! 

 

Sort of similar but we were in Las Vegas SB weekend for a golf trip - half my group developed a mild cough or fever.  But, we all tested negative for antibodies in late April.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

 

That is a wild story!!! 

 

Sort of similar but we were in Las Vegas SB weekend for a golf trip - half my group developed a mild cough or fever.  But, we all tested negative for antibodies in late April.  

I think those antibody tests are hit and miss but I'm not sure. I know that the one and only person who I know that has had Covid positively and spent almost 60 days in ICU with almost half of that on a ventilator tested negative on his first few tests. 

 

Can't wait to go back to Vegas. Was there for the first time 2 years ago and we plan on going back 2021 if all goes well to do some more......more of everything hahaha. And golf.....gotta get some rounds in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...