If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Yep, 98 & 2 is as bad as the disease

I'm 70 and in good health, but technically in a higher risk age group and my husband is in a very high risk group, so that means I can't be with my 6 year old grandson and have him spend overnights with us - so absolutely I would be willing to risk 2% if it meant I had a 98% chance of living a normal life again.

Edited by mek
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, I don't personally know anyone who has had much less succumbed to the disease. I do know one friend who had a relative pass away in either late March or April.

That being said, I don't take it any less seriously.  But I do feel the media over reacts to boost ratings.  Same as the pharmaceutical companies, all about money

While I agree with you about the hype which is true in all news events, I think you are very fortunate not to know anyone. We have 4 relatives in Indiana, including 2 children, get COVID,  and all recovered. A good friend was sick and out of work for 5 weeks but she feels very fortunate as she was able to stay at home, her husband was hospitalized for 11 days.  They are both in their mid 40’s.  She said this was the sickest she has ever been,  when she was cleared to return to work after 5 weeks, it was another 3 weeks before she could work a full 8 hour shift as she was still struggling with shortness of breath.  The  health care facility my mom was in before she passed had 34 residents and 2 staff members die from the virus.  

I am glad you are taking this seriously😀

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mek said:

I'm 70 and in good health, but technically in a higher risk age group and my husband is in a very high risk group, so that means I can't be with my 6 year old grandson and have him spend overnights with us - so absolutely I would be willing to risk 2% if it meant I had a 98% chance of living a normal life again.

I hear you.  We also miss having the ability to hug our grand kids.

But here's the catch.  My actions also have an impact on my wife.  Basically, if I come down with COVID so does she.

You may be willing to take the 2% risk, but in so doing, you are also exposing your husband to a risk greater than 2% because of his higher risk.

These are difficult times and here in the US and with 180,000 deaths already,  we have been forced to make horrendous choices.  I mean hugging a 6 year old grandson or exposing ourselves and others to risk?  Horrible, simply horrible!

35 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I hear you.  We also miss having the ability to hug our grand kids.

But here's the catch.  My actions also have an impact on my wife.  Basically, if I come down with COVID so does she.

You may be willing to take the 2% risk, but in so doing, you are also exposing your husband to a risk greater than 2% because of his higher risk.

These are difficult times and here in the US and with 180,000 deaths already,  we have been forced to make horrendous choices.  I mean hugging a 6 year old grandson or exposing ourselves and others to risk?  Horrible, simply horrible!

Well, he will get the vaccine also and since I haven't heard anything suggesting a person will get Covid from a vaccine then we would both be willing to risk an adverse reaction of 2%. We will both be in line just as soon as it is available  to us. I personally don't think there will be any more risk with this vaccine than with a regular flu shot so a 2% adverse risk factor seems really high to me - I was only responding to the 98% -2% comment.

And since it seems that the vaccine will be given in 2 doses, we of course would continue with our current way of life - masks, social distancing, avoiding large crowds, until we we told the vaccine would kick in.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mek said:

Well, he will get the vaccine also and since I haven't heard anything suggesting a person will get Covid from a vaccine then we would both be willing to risk an adverse reaction of 2%. We will both be in line just as soon as it is available  to us. I personally don't think there will be any more risk with this vaccine than with a regular flu shot so a 2% adverse risk factor seems really high to me - I was only responding to the 98% -2% comment.

Yes, and please note that the 98%-2% was only a theoretical number I offered for the sake of argument.  Hopefully, when the vaccine goes through full clinical trials, without shortcuts, the risk will be significantly less.

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Yes, and please note that the 98%-2% was only a theoretical number I offered for the sake of argument.  Hopefully, when the vaccine goes through full clinical trials, without shortcuts, the risk will be significantly less.

I haven't heard anything that makes me believe there will be any shortcuts for vaccines distributed in the US.  I think it will be safe.

15 hours ago, mek said:

I haven't heard anything that makes me believe there will be any shortcuts for vaccines distributed in the US.  I think it will be safe.

I signed up for the double blind study but so far have not been called.

If they do fast track and make available a vaccine before all results are in I would gladly be vaccinated.

I was part of the first group for the experimental polio vaccine, why not take part in this one?

21 hours ago, molly361 said:

On the news this morning they said that the vaccine that is going to be ready later this year is a series of 2 shots one several weeks after the first one.  They also stated that being 2 instead of one is going to create a whole bunch of not so good logistics.  

It will prevent for instance counter fit vaccine or theft of the vaccine. A single shot vaccine could be stolen and sold very easily for money to people who will pay to get it today and get back to normal life.

12 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

The chief of the Food and Drug Administration is prepared to bypass the full federal approval process in order to make a Covid-19 vaccine available as soon as possible, FINANCIAL TIMES ARTICLE.

Just read this as well and saw that you had posted.  The report is that Phase Three (safety) may not be required for the vaccine to go public.

This is the result of "Operation Warp Speed." 

22 hours ago, cbowls30 said:

interested to see how this plays out - we are planning cruise 2021, harmony or oasis out of florida, we're in the UK so we are expecting a requirement to enter the USA with vaccination certification or something similar when flights from the UK - US resume, eventually. If we don't require vaccination to even just enter the US then we'd probably get one anyway in the UK as most will do when it becomes available. I personally would be happy to know that a Covid-19 proof of vaccination is required for cruising when it resumes.

You shouldn't make the final payment unless the travel ban has been lifted. My trip is November 21 with final payment of August. I am not making the final if the travel ban is still in effect. I am happy to show a vaccination certificate if it is trusted. But I am not having a needle stuck in my arm by an american border agent who will do what? Take a large enough sample to test for vaccine plus drugs not that I do them.

• Haha 1

RCCL should offer a vaccine with every cruise ticket.

I'm sure they could get a discount deal.  Require the vaccine within x# of weeks before cruising.  Available at any cruise port, or at clinics and labs in most major cities.

3 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

I'm sure they could get a discount deal.  Require the vaccine within x# of weeks before cruising.  Available at any cruise port, or at clinics and labs in most major cities.

LOL outside the box thinking there my friend.  

3 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

This would be contingent of the vaccine taking immediate effect.  Of course, it wouldn't work if two doses were necessary.

15 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

LOL outside the box thinking there my friend.  

If they want to make a vaccine requirement easy and consistent, they should provide it as a service included with ticket purchase.

I foresee future travel where Customs would require to see a "shot card" to ensure you have been vaccinated. 

I carry mine with my passport.  For some reason, the WHO doesn't sell the booklet online anymore.  But you can download it and have your physician check off your vaccines:

https://www.who.int/ihr/IVC200_06_26.pdf?ua=1

Edited by BillHoo

Just now, BillHoo said:

If they want to make a vaccine requirement easy and consistent, they should provide it as a service.

I foresee future travel where Customs would require to see a "shot card" to ensure you have been vaccinated. 

I carry mine with my passport.  For some reason, the WHO doesn't sell the booklet online anymore.  But you can download it and have your physician check off your vaccines:

https://www.who.int/ihr/IVC200_06_26.pdf?ua=1

I bet you are right about this.  

22 hours ago, molly361 said:

On the news this morning they said that the vaccine that is going to be ready later this year is a series of 2 shots one several weeks after the first one.  They also stated that being 2 instead of one is going to create a whole bunch of not so good logistics.  

The National Guard will be dealing with logistics as they are easily mobilized and can reach into almost every nook and cranny of the United States.

I am sure there are plans for distribution already laid out.

5 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Oh gosh, double negatives now.

I think you got lost in the thread.

When I made the quizical statement,  not a Star trek fan, you responded, Isn't everyone.

That implies you think no one likes Star Trek in my reasoning

Edited by John&LaLa

6 hours ago, yogimax said:

Just read this as well and saw that you had posted.  The report is that Phase Three (safety) may not be required for the vaccine to go public.

This is the result of "Operation Warp Speed." 

I just read the article - they specifically mentioned that the vaccine might be available early for certain groups, not the general public.

Sign me up - if I could I would participate in a phase 3 group study as long as I knew I wasn't getting a placebo, so I see no reason why I won't get the shots as soon as they are available - no difference IMO.

Are they 100% safe? I don't know, but I do know life isn't "safe" as things stand right now and quite frankly I have absolutely no desire to continuing living my life the way I have for the past 5 months if there is an option. ( And that has nothing to do with cruising.  Right now there are far more important things to me that I can't do than get on a ship.)

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mek said:

Right now there are far more important things to me that I can't do than get on a ship.)

So right, hugging our family members is one of them.  Our daughter's husband is a NYC firefighter, so is at high risk for getting the virus or passing it along to others.  No hugs for our grandchildren for five months!